As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheap Flat Surface for Kids

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
We are renters and it happens that every single room in our house except the bathroom is carpeted (even the kitchen...ugh). One of the issues that this causes is that there is no where in the house for my son to play with toys that require flatness. Stuff like small rc cars/robots, zhu zhu pets, matchbox cars, etc - just get stuck in the pile of the rug.

I was thinking about making a small square - maybe 2'x2' or even 3'x3' - with a slight lip around it - to allow him to play with such toys in his room. I'm not terribly handy though - so I'm not sure what material would be best to do this. I would want something light so he can move it himself and store it as needed - but strong enough to not break if a 6 yr old kid steps on it.

Any ideas on good materials to use that would be easy to work with?

Lindsay Lohan on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the input so far - I'm really liking the idea of a cheap chair mat given it could be rolled up. The only thing it lacks is a lip around the edge to contain runaway robot hamsters.

I had thought about a large poster frame (acrylic) thinking that it would be a good option if I could raise the edges a bit. It might crack if stepped on by mistake though.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    glue some legos on it. :)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oooh good thought. I could probably find something cheap to hot glue on there (not lego, that'd be super pricey!)

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is perfect I think

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3437183

It's 1.5'x1', the edges are raised 1.5", it's a gel plastic material so no fear of breaking when stepped on, it actually gives, so it won't hurt your foot either.

Edit: corrected the dimensions, because I can't math

defreak on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    defreak wrote: »
    This is perfect I think

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3437183

It's 3'x2', the edges are raised 1.5", it's a gel plastic material so no fear of breaking when stepped on, it actually gives, so it won't hurt your foot either.
    That one is 18" x 13", so, lunch tray size. Although the thought of the kid playing on a lunch tray is pretty funny...

As for a lip around the edge of something, just cut a cardboard box into strips the size of whatever mat you have, and staple/glue them together to create a perimiter. Bonus that you can fold it up and aren't stuck with some random rigid geometric shape you have to store somewhere.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh wow, when I was converting the dimensions, at that specific moment I was thinking 6" = 1', hahaha, my bad.

When I bought it at the store there were 2 different sizes there, I don't remember if the 1.5'x1' one is the smaller or bigger one.

defreak on