As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jeep [Chat]okee

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bethel School District v. Fraser. The implied threat of violence is slightly more disruptive then a bunch of sex jokes.

Obscene speech isn't protected. Political speech is.

Harassment is not protected, and what qualifies as harassment in schools more loose.

Also true.

But is this really harassment? Would it be harassment if I wore a shirt that said "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully?" (randomly grabbed Dawkins quote)

MrMister on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Might well qualify. Schools are allowed to be quite draconian, generally.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bethel School District v. Fraser. The implied threat of violence is slightly more disruptive then a bunch of sex jokes.

And Morse v Frederick put a clear restriction on political speech that may violate the law or advocate for illegal activities. Threatening someone is still a violation of the law.

Is this a threat?

I imagine whether it was would depend on contextual factors. However, I have trouble seeing it. This is a Chicago school, not rural Oklahoma, and I doubt that a few students wearing these shirts credibly projects the possibility of violence. Had I been at that school I would have hated them, but I would not have felt unsafe.

MrMister on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    did anyone else watch the wave when they were in school

we had a teacher try to do that to us once and she just wound up finding out that a bunch of 5th grade boys are perfectly okay with subverting others

i don't know what this is or means

you are talking in riddles, sir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Wave

The closest thing we had to that was DARE.

Proud to say it triggered my bullshit alarm even at that young age.

D.A.R.E. shirts were the most sought after things when I was in High School, if you were a pothead.

It was pretty silly.

Galahad on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Was having a pretty good day up until now.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

To the extent that this is true it strikes me as bad.

But again, I don't think that the law speaks univocally here.

MrMister on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    i got a birthday card from my bio-mom

$20 wal-mart gift card inside

i wonder what i should buy

Organichu on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

BARGAIN DVD BIN GOOOOOOOO

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Texas keeps on reminding me why I hate it.
    http://www.icr.org/article/5699/
    The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit ruled on October 13 that the words "under God" that appear in the Texas Pledge of Allegiance are constitutional.

The term was added to the state pledge in 2007. The same year, David Wallace Croft, along with a handful of other parents of school-age children, filed a lawsuit against Texas Governor Rick Perry to challenge the words' constitutionality and to have them banned.

The federal district court rejected the plaintiffs' claim in 2009. That decision was appealed and the case went to the Fifth Circuit.

The court wrote in its opinion:
    The pledge is a patriotic exercise, and it is made no less so by the acknowledgment of Texas's religious heritage via the inclusion of the phrase "under God." A pledge can constitutionally acknowledge the existence of, and even value, a religious belief without impermissibly favoring that value or belief, without advancing belief over non-belief, and without coercing participation in a religious exercise. Texas's pledge is of this sort and consequently survives this challenge. Accordingly, the district court's judgment dismissing the complaint is affirmed.1

Since 2007, the Texas state pledge has read:
    Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.2
    I almost forgot how stupid most justifications for religious references were.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

a "Kids Size" box of .22 ammo and a ball peen hammer

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I need a new copy of The Wall.

My cd is kind of old, and the sound quality is actually sort of crap.

Also, I'd like to find a copy that has the movie version of Empty Spaces in addition to the album version.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

To the extent that this is true it strikes me as bad.
    It's not great, but that's not the issue under discussion.
    MrMister wrote:
    But again, I don't think that the law speaks univocally here.
    It comes close, though. And I think it's very believable that students would have felt harassed and unsafe with classmates wearing those shirts. I'd be uncomfortable, and I'm quite straight.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

by someone else

i mean, the mance of the threat is still extant but i think this is different from your initial phrasing

That someone else wore the shirt sans the hate speech, doesn't meant hey also weren't still advocating the message.

Not to mention I haven't heard of straight people being singled out and bullied based on the fact they are straight, so why would they need to advocate "pride" other then being dill weeds.

one time i was at a party that was mostly gay dudes and girls who felt comfortable around gay dudes and a guy started verbally attacking me for being straight with my straight girlfriend at a "gay" party

it was really pretty odd and he was pretty drunk and thought i was the guy who bullied him in highschool or something

i ended up punching him and some other dude came up and apoligised for him saying that he always does this whenever someone brings a straight guy to one of their parties

i then had a fabulous watermelon martini thing

weird personal anecdote but i thougt id share because it was so weird

Way to be a gay basher.

As far as the shirt thing it doesn't say they were threatened with disciplinary action from what I saw, so I don't think it's that big a deal, they were asked to put something over it because it wouldn't be conducive to a learning environment. If they tried to suspend them I might have an issue with it.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

so much ramen

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Man.

The Wall.

I hate that album. Hahah.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i have lived in texas all but 2 years of my life and had no idea we had our own pledge

overblown?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Man.

The Wall.

I hate that album. Hahah.

Hi5

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

so much ramen

Toilet paper so you'll stop bleeding from your anus. Wait wrong whitey, ma bad you all look the same to me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i have lived in texas all but 2 years of my life and had no idea we had our own pledge

overblown?

Man.

As a young pissed off Canadian exile, the Texas pledge infuriated me for years.

Galahad on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    the wall is better than both of you, soz

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It comes close, though. And I think it's very believable that students would have felt harassed and unsafe with classmates wearing those shirts. I'd be uncomfortable, and I'm quite straight.

Harassed? Maybe. Although the criteria for being harassed are more substantial than the criteria for just feeling harassed.

Unsafe? Extremely doubtful.

MrMister on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

And Morse v Frederick put a clear restriction on political speech that may violate the law or advocate for illegal activities. Threatening someone is still a violation of the law.

Is this a threat?

I imagine whether it was would depend on contextual factors. However, I have trouble seeing it. This is a Chicago school, not rural Oklahoma, and I doubt that a few students wearing these shirts credibly projects the possibility of violence. Had I been at that school I would have hated them, but I would not have felt unsafe.

Eye of the beholder. Given the timing, and that it was probably Leviticus 20:13 since that will fit on a t-shirt, then it's not an unreasonable assumption. If you bring a tee-shirt calling for gays to be killed during an anti-gay bullying event, it does send a certain message.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the lack of ammo in FO:NV is infuriating

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    one time i was at a party that was mostly gay dudes and girls who felt comfortable around gay dudes and a guy started verbally attacking me for being straight with my straight girlfriend at a "gay" party

it was really pretty odd and he was pretty drunk and thought i was the guy who bullied him in highschool or something

i ended up punching him and some other dude came up and apoligised for him saying that he always does this whenever someone brings a straight guy to one of their parties

wtf violence

Also, it is annoying when straight people crash gay parties, because just once and a while it's nice to be able to walk up to a random guy and hit on him without having to worry whether he's actually gay or not.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

overblown?

Man.

Really?

I remember having to sing Texas our Texas and the National Anthem before school once a week and recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day when I was in gradeschool but I literally had no idea there was a Texas state pledge until this instant

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Harassed? Maybe. Although the criteria for being harassed are more substantial than the criteria for just feeling harassed.
    And again, the courts tend to give school administrations an enormous amount of leeway here.
    MrMister wrote:
    Based on what?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    You have to search everything, and limit yourself to only a few guns, so you can break down ammo for guns you don't have and make reloads for guns you have.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You have to search everything, and limit yourself to only a few guns, so you can break down ammo for guns you don't have and make reloads for guns you have.

that's kind of interesting, I like the idea

waiting for goty though

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I didn't have much trouble finding ammo, I had trouble carrying it, because having ammo have weight gets way more frustrating than I thought it would. Have you gotten to the gun runners vendortron? I think he has a ton of ammo for sale and isn't that far into the game.

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How is a law against hate-speech a bad thing, guys?

How could it ever be a bad thing?

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Eye of the beholder. Given the timing, and that it was probably Leviticus 20:13 since that will fit on a t-shirt, then it's not an unreasonable assumption. If you bring a tee-shirt calling for gays to be killed during an anti-gay bullying event, it does send a certain message.

The legal definition cannot simply be the eye of the beholder. Some beholders are batshit crazy. As I understand, laws like this generally key to what a reasonable person would think or feel in such-and-such a situation. The reasonable qualifier is important here.

Leviticus sends the message that you are a hateful goose, but it doesn't send the message "I'm going to beat the shit out of you" unless several other conditions are met. Otherwise I would be afraid to stand next to Jim DeMint. I'm not, of course, I just hate him.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »

wtf violence

Also, it is annoying when straight people crash gay parties, because just once and a while it's nice to be able to walk up to a random guy and hit on him without having to worry whether he's actually gay or not.

I should add that he drunkenly shoved me and called my girlfriend a whore to my face so he was asking for it

also i wasn't crashing a party, i was invited by the dudes who threw it

cause they were friends with my girlfriend and were all "hey bring your boyfriend along"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this is sort of why I don't care for games like fall-out in a nutshell

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

or install a mod that makes ammo not retarded.

Like I made headshots not retarded and aiming not retarded.

Ludious on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yay sushi!

mmm I didn't eat the healthiest this week but I will take that as okay for the busiest week of the entire semester

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Or you can do it my favorite way, player.additem*

*Console users need not apply.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

that's kind of interesting, I like the idea

waiting for goty though

I should have, I'm so sick of crippling bugs like quest givers refusing to talk to me because I decided to have creatures fight in the arena and they never went hostile against each other.

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited November 2010

or install a mod that makes ammo not retarded.

Like I made headshots not retarded and aiming not retarded.
    I haven't had a problem with either of the second two.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MrMister wrote:
    Based on what?

Based on the fact that there was no violence; based on the fact that it was only a tiny minority of students wearing the shirt; based on the fact that it was during a gay support week; based on the fact that presumably violence would have been strictly sanctioned by the school administration; based on the fact that a Chicago school is likely closer to gay-friendly than to Christian fundamentalist; and so on.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

overblown?

Man.

Really?

I remember having to sing Texas our Texas and the National Anthem before school once a week and recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day when I was in gradeschool but I literally had no idea there was a Texas state pledge until this instant

Elementary school and middle school they made us say it every day.

I mostly just said stuff like, "I pledge to say blah blah blah, and blah blah blah, this is dumb, blah blah blah." 'cause the teachers would give you grief if you didn't say it, but in a room of thirty kids as long as you were standing and moving your mouth you could say whatever you wanted pretty much.

Eventually I got over being pissed about living here.

But yeah, every day. Spring Independent School district.

Galahad on
This discussion has been closed.