As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alien Swarm: She thought they said "illegal aliens" and signed up.

1555657585961»

• Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You're a butt for getting me hyped up about joining, only for buttcleft to beat me. And I heard he's a reall butt.
    just kidding you're good for it down the line <3

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Post was so awesome it doubled, somehow.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    so many hours

SO MANY HOURS OF ALIEN SWARM

whiteshark

neo

rotating fourth slot

custom maps

so many last-minute Brutal map survivals

and whiteshark, im sorry that i kept yelling at you to die so that we would win. you could have made it to the end. i would have wanted to too. please still love me.

I still love you antithesis.
    :winky:

Also, splitting up on that one map with all the parasites is the best idea and we should do it again and again and again.

EDIT: NEO|Phyte is the REAL butt here.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    Also, splitting up on that one map with all the parasites is the best idea and we should do it again and again and again.

Hey, speedrunning Residential by splitting up would work if you people weren't so terrible (and maybe if we weren't on Brutal). The parasites are all in predictable locations, and we have flamethrowers. Just a matter of puffing the vents as you run past them. It's the actual bugs that are the real concern.

:edit:
    Also, I haven't tried out the first-person view override thing, we should do that.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Hey, speedrunning Residential by splitting up would work if you people weren't so terrible (and maybe if we weren't on Brutal). The parasites are all in predictable locations, and we have flamethrowers. Just a matter of puffing the vents as you run past them. It's the actual bugs that are the real concern.

:edit:
    Also, I haven't tried out the first-person view override thing, we should do that.

It's predictable, but we all die horribly every time (including you).

First person view thing sounds cool, though likely it'll make it harder since the game is designed to be played top down.

Also, some awesome console commands.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Whoa, there's chatter in Alien Swarm, but it's disabled? At least I don't remember hearing any real chatter while playing AS, but why the hell would it be disabled by default?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No clue, but it should be fun to turn on.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

Whoa, there's chatter in Alien Swarm, but it's disabled? At least I don't remember hearing any real chatter while playing AS, but why the hell would it be disabled by default?

Looks like a client side command, so it's probably not synced across the internet, which would be awkward.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You should all get the Good Old Games version of UT2k4 and play the original Alien Swarm with me.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You should all get the Good Old Games version of UT2k4 and play the original Alien Swarm with me.

So unforgiving.

Soooo good.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Infidel wrote: »

So unforgiving.

Soooo good.

This means agreement, people.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    is the Steam version of ut2k4 compatible with the GOG version?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I think they're all the same, I just recall that GOG was cheaper outside of sales. Whatever can load the most recent version.

(I call tech!)

Antithesis on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yes, and those are compatible with the retail versions.

And yeah, AS in UT2K4 is pulsating hive of death.

Drake on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Drake wrote: »

Yes, and those are compatible with the retail versions.

And yeah, AS in UT2K4 is pulsating hive of death.

For a second there, I read that "AS" as "Assault" and I'm like "Hell fuck yeah, I could play some fucking UT2K4 Assault now." That shit was so bomb.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. I'm fucking down with that. UT2K4 remains the pinnacle of the series, and Assault was one of my favorite game types.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Steam is 50% done downloading ut2k4.

:edit: dibs on Sarge.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm fucking down with that. UT2K4 remains the pinnacle of the series, and Assault was one of my favorite game types.

It is kind of sad that I'm probably more interested in playing Assault in UT2K4 again than, well, whatever in UT3.

For that matter, I'd even be happy playing Torlan in UT2K4 again. I just really disliked the Gears of Unreal art style they went with in the last game.

subedii on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am down so hard for anything related to UT2K4 especially AS. I've been trying for the past howeverthefuck many years that's been out to get my friends to play it and they never would/will.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Even comp-stomps can be awesome fun with just a few players. I have some fun memories of Onslaught with 3 humans versus a team of bots.

Hmmm, I may have to pick up UT2K4 from GOG.com sometime. I've got the disc versions, but really, installing them and patching them up is going to be a pain.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Man, the original Alien Swarm feels a lot different from the Source one.

Anywho, it's installed, and I ran through the tutorial for good measure. Who else is in a ready-to-play state?

:edit: install process: Install your ut2k4, make sure it's all updated and shit. Then go here and download AS 1.3 and the 1.3 to 1.34 patch. From there, follow the readme.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wait wait wait... you want me to buy another game to play a game that's already free? What?

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wait wait wait... you want me to buy another game to play a game that's already free? What?

the ut2k4 alien swarm is a different beast from the source one.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

the ut2k4 alien swarm is a different beast from the source one.

Right-o, I've got it all shortcut and everything. Anyone?

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "Different"? Is it better? Is it worth spending actual money on?

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The closest comparison my mind is coming up with is that it is the TFC to AS:S's TF2, but there's a lot less differences between AS and AS:S than TFC and TF2.

Actual differences (besides the obvious engine/graphical differences) that I can recall off the top of my head:
    • Friendly Fire is a lot meaner (You know that FF toggle that got added to AS:S? Basically that, only all the time)
    • Ammo bags explode if you set them on fire
    • Instead of magic universal ammo crates, the ammo bag carries X reloads for each ammo type
    • Fewer guns
    • Medic healing consists of the medical satchel, which is basically a multi-use personal healkit that they can use on other people
    • Sarge has a unique utility-slot item that is a cigar
    • In campaign mode, you can levelup your marines, making them better at running/jumping/shooting/not dying
    • Multiplayer has an 8 player cap, meaning you can use the full roster of marines

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ammo bags exploding was the thing I was saddest to see absent, aside from leveling.

Also the original has several more campaigns and can be played in single-player throughout.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The closest comparison my mind is coming up with is that it is the TFC to AS:S's TF2, but there's a lot less differences between AS and AS:S than TFC and TF2.

Actual differences (besides the obvious engine/graphical differences) that I can recall off the top of my head:
    • Friendly Fire is a lot meaner (You know that FF toggle that got added to AS:S? Basically that, only all the time)
    • Instead of magic universal ammo crates, the ammo bag carries X reloads for each ammo type
    • Fewer guns
    • Medic healing consists of the medical satchel, which is basically a multi-use personal healkit that they can use on other people
    • In campaign mode, you can levelup your marines, making them better at running/jumping/shooting/not dying
    • Multiplayer has an 8 player cap, meaning you can use the full roster of marines

Okay that does sound pretty cool. Guess I might go get that other game.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

• Fewer guns

Okay that does sound pretty cool. Guess I might go get that other game.

DO IT

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ugh buying things

WhiteShark on