As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WE HAVE A SERVER! BUY NOW! MINECRAFT!

• hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, for some reason my VPS just got bumped to the highest level they offer. Meaning I can dedicate 2.5GB of RAM to the server. I have no idea why this is, but I'm using it. I can still get my money back under the 7 day guarantee thing I hope!

Edit: They bumped the VPS up, but didn't change the billing. I'm just not going to tell them and see what happens...

hiartbill on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I'll be safe then. I think my hole goes down to Lv38. I just can't go any lower than that. Do you think maybe we should make a layer of bedrock over the entire plane at Lv33 so no one ever goes lower?

Edit: I guess you guys have been talking about it. I forgot to refresh thread

HugmasterGeneral on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hiartbill wrote: »
    Ok, for some reason my VPS just got bumped to the highest level they offer. Meaning I can dedicate 2.5GB of RAM to the server. I have no idea why this is, but I'm using it. I can still get my money back under the 7 day guarantee thing I hope!

Edit: They bumped the VPS up, but didn't change the billing. I'm just not going to tell them and see what happens...

be careful

when stuff like this happens, they'll often just retroactively charge you later

"oh well you took the service so you have to pay for it" etc etc

and if you complain then they'll say "okay then cancel. HAHA. That's right you'll take it up the ass!"

Raneados on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wait, are you saying I can get minecraft on a Goddamned Droid?

sarukun on
    edited November 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    I think I'll be safe then. I think my hole goes down to Lv38. I just can't go any lower than that. Do you think maybe we should make a layer of bedrock over the entire plane at Lv33 so no one ever goes lower?

That shouldn't be necessary. It's not general light below Lv33, it's specifically sky light. One of the tests that thread did was to just put a 1 block think layer of rock at Lv32, and that fixed it as well.

Edit in response to Rane: Yeah you're likely right. In the end though, I still have that 7 day guarantee to fall back on if this VPS turns out to be not needed :P

hiartbill on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i'm going to log in

hope the server is okay

edit wait what's the server info now

Raneados on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    But didn't we put a 1-block layer in the holes and it didn't fix the issue? If it's at Layer 32, what's to keep people from digging below that and creating a sky hole?

HugmasterGeneral on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, Safehouse.

I think I'm going to try to prototype it in the UDK, I don't really have much experience with Unity.

The concept is similar to Minecraft, but in sort of a Minecraft meets the Incredible Machine meets, I don't know, like Dead Rising.

EDIT: I didn't mean to hit submit. I'm not done with this yet.

NotASenator on
    edited November 2010
    I think I want to build a replica of the farm from Harvest Moon on the GBA.

Played so much fucking Harvest Moon.

sarukun on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

That shouldn't be necessary. It's not general light below Lv33, it's specifically sky light. One of the tests that thread did was to just put a 1 block think layer of rock at Lv32, and that fixed it as well.

this is the kind of thing where I figure, yes, you have done this all on your own up until now (minus the thousands of paying alpha testers), and I really respect that, but seriously, this project is getting very large and you just made like six million dollars in less than a year

it's time to hire another programmer to do bug fixes already

MrMonroe on
    edited November 2010
    No, I'm gonna replicate that house! Actually, I think I'll do the one from SNES =p

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited November 2010
    So, Safehouse.

I think I'm going to try to prototype it in the UDK, I don't really have much experience with Unity.

The concept is similar to Minecraft, but in sort of a Minecraft meets the Incredible Machine meets, I don't know, like Dead Rising.

Instead of mining blocks to build blocky structures, you collect materials and craft them into basic building pieces: 2x4s, pulleys, rope, hinges, whatever. Then you combine these pieces in the game world by having them snap together at the joint areas and create larger things. Your goal is not just to build something to protect yourself from the monster hordes that come rushing out of the forests at night, but also to devise interesting ways to kill them.

An example would be that you get some wood from a tree and you craft that into planks, but then you place individual planks into the ground. Based on how you positioned the wood in the 5x5 crafting grid, would determine how tall the plank was. Then you can connect metal sheets or whatever to it to create a safehouse to hide in.

During the day, you will work on building your defenses. Found a little motor? Hook it up with a chain on some gears to a giant metal blade and turn it on to create a stationary monster weedwacker. Hook a huge pendulum to a release switch inside your safehouse and watch it swing right through the hordes. Maybe use pressure switches and springs to create monster catapult traps.

Stuff like that.

Currently, the inventiveness in Minecraft is about building your castle or tower or whatever, basically so you can hide from the monsters. In Safehouse, the goal would be to use your creativity and a physics engine to design all sorts of ways to kill them.

I know people compare Minecraft to LEGO a lot, and I think it's an apt comparison, but for me, I stopped just building houses and castles a long time ago and got into building walking mechs and cranes that picked shit up and Mindstorms robots that could find its way though a maze, so that's the sort of thing I want out of a game like Minecraft. I want it to be more like Technic than standard LEGO.

NotASenator on
    edited November 2010
    hmm

can't connect to the server

the message gets cut off but it says

response code 502 for url BLAH BLAH BLAH

Raneados on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

this is the kind of thing where I figure, yes, you have done this all on your own up until now (minus the thousands of paying alpha testers), and I really respect that, but seriously, this project is getting very large and you just made like six million dollars in less than a year

Didin't Notch already hire two more programmers? Where did I read that?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited November 2010

Didin't Notch already hire two more programmers? Where did I read that?

He hired a programmer to start on another game project that's nothing like minecraft and the other is a web programmer.

NotASenator on
    edited November 2010
    i think the server just crashed again

I didn't even go 50 blocks from spawn

I'm just going to stay out

I am cursed

Raneados on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, Safehouse.

Instead of mining blocks to build blocky structures, you collect materials and craft them into basic building pieces: 2x4s, pulleys, rope, hinges, whatever. Then you combine these pieces in the game world by having them snap together at the joint areas and create larger things. Your goal is not just to build something to protect yourself from the monster hordes that come rushing out of the forests at night, but also to devise interesting ways to kill them.

An example would be that you get some wood from a tree and you craft that into planks, but then you place individual planks into the ground. Based on how you positioned the wood in the 5x5 crafting grid, would determine how tall the plank was. Then you can connect metal sheets or whatever to it to create a safehouse to hide in.

During the day, you will work on building your defenses. Found a little motor? Hook it up with a chain on some gears to a giant metal blade and turn it on to create a stationary monster weedwacker. Hook a huge pendulum to a release switch inside your safehouse and watch it swing right through the hordes. Maybe use pressure switches and springs to create monster catapult traps.

Stuff like that.

Currently, the inventiveness in Minecraft is about building your castle or tower or whatever, basically so you can hide from the monsters. In Safehouse, the goal would be to use your creativity and a physics engine to design all sorts of ways to kill them.

I know people compare Minecraft to LEGO a lot, and I think it's an apt comparison, but for me, I stopped just building houses and castles a long time ago and got into building walking mechs and cranes that picked shit up and Mindstorms robots that could find its way though a maze, so that's the sort of thing I want out of a game like Minecraft. I want it to be more like Technic than standard LEGO.

this sounds amazing

it would have been more amazing with a link so I can try it myself

MrMonroe on
    edited November 2010
    Tons of shit

this sounds amazing

I fill notebooks up with stupid design documents for games like this.

I should probably try actually making some of them.

NotASenator on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i started down that giant waterfall and got dc'd. blame it on the Raaaaaaane.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    edited November 2010
    it was davoid that time, but ultimately my fault because of my hole

don't go near my hole or the server dies

just like everything else that goes near my hole

seriously, pigs, cows, chickens? all jump into my hole and die on impact

my hole is a tomb

Raneados on
    edited November 2010
    Lol, there's some issues with the carts/boats pooka, you probably just error'd out. I'm not going to bother looking at the log though!

Rane, I'm headed home now so I'll fix up the holes and we can run a final test to see if everything is kosher, probably about an hour and I'll have it ready.

Still no word from Ein on our map?

hiartbill on
  • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i tried to join your server bill but it said error no such server D:

apricotmuffins on
    edited November 2010
    sounds good, bill

if I get some time I'll check back in on the place tonight

thanks!

Raneados on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i tried to join your server bill but it said error no such server D:

i get this, too :(

edit: oh wait i got in!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    what address are you using? i just copypastad the one bill mentioned earlier on

apricotmuffins on
    edited November 2010
    i did too and got some errors

it went through eventually

Raneados on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, Safehouse.

Stuff like that.

this sounds amazing

This sounds really cool.

It sounds like a Minecraft meets Tower Defense sort of game.

Also when we met up in DC I had no idea you were into Minecraft! Pretty much the entire time you were hiding out in Macy's the rest of us were coming up with ideas for objective-based multiplayer modes and geeking out to a criminal extent.

Actually that was basically the whole trip.

Fugitive on
    edited November 2010
    i er, accidentally typed /warp lighthouse instead of /warp airship

EASY MISTAKE TO MAKE AND I AM FULL OF SLOVAKIAN SPIRITS OKAY

apricotmuffins on
    edited November 2010
    Oh, Jesus, a Minecraft inspired zombie survival game?

yusssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

sarukun on
  • scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So what's going on with minecraft stuff
    we're waiting for ein to be able to give us the map?
    and NaS is going to be running it?
    Any change in connection info?

scarlet blvd. on
    edited November 2010
    So Rane, I figured out why David insta-crashes everyone now, and didn't use to. One of the chunks within viewing distance is corrupted. I'm trying to isolate which one (luckily, MCEdit hangs for about a minute when it loads it, so I'm narrowing it down that way).

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    my art is just too beautiful to be allowed to continue

END IT QUICKLY

LEST THE HURT ENDURE

Raneados on
    edited November 2010
    Nah, it was a chunk just SE of your hole, just a random piece of forest. Loading the map onto my server to see if it's fixed.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    gasp

Raneados on
    edited November 2010
    Not the public server :P My private one.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    David is fixed. Uploading new map to server now. As far as I can tell the lighthouse and other holes are unaffected by the lighting bug now, but only testing with more people can confirm. They did lag when I warped to them, but once all the chunks loaded it was perfectly lag free, so I dunno.

Edit: Rane, there is water at the bottom of your pit, and some stone from my previous attempts at fixing. Have Nuka utilize her powers if you want it gone :P I don't think your hole is big enough to cause much issue with the lighting bug, but I'll leave that decision up to Nuka and you.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    I'll do it

psh I ain't no baby

Raneados on
    edited November 2010
    i'll do it tomorrow

I am le tired

Raneados on
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    okay

how

do you dispatch a skeleton lurking in the pitch blackness of a cave an unknown number of blocks away and firing at you without getting your shit wrecked

???

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    block shit off

dig up

drop lava on him

Squall on
This discussion has been closed.