As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scariest Game You've Ever Played?

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    IllBleed

*dusts off dreamcast*

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would agree on that one Xenogear.

I would say some of the RPGs have aged pretty well, I'm sort of waiting for Parasite Eve to hit on the PSP.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    EaliEali Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I honestly think I need to try Stalker now. I didn't hear much when it was released, but with all the good things people are saying about it, and considering it's price, I may pick it up.

Eali on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    STALKER is easily one of the most tense and mind screwing experiences you'll spend in a FPS. Huddling in shacks in the dead of night, waiting for the sounds to stop, and clutching a half loaded assault rifle makes for a great sense of immersion. You feel danger, and any firefight or encounter could be your last.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xagar wrote: »
    OKAY WELL the Amnesia demo was pretty scary!

It's as Yahtzee from ZP puts it:

"Go through x doorway, up stairs to get puzzle piece go back down stairs, and see something quickly scuttle through the door you came through, and go 'Okay, what the fuck was that?'"

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    IllBleed

*dusts off dreamcast*

Man Illbleed ain't scary! Well maybe the first level is. After that though it just gets goofy.
    SEXAY DAWL!

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It does have its tense moments.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Illbleed is a joke, and not in an intentionally funny way.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Most memorable scary game moments for me:

Dead Space 2 still creeps the hell out of me. I'm watching a playthrough of it on Youtube and it still fills me with dread. It's not just the feeling that you are the only person alive in this ship, but it's the fear that sooner or later, you have to fight a necromorph. And I have having to fight necromorphs because they are just THAT horrible to face. Easy to kill with the right tools yes, but they're so freakish to look at, plus you can still see and hear traces of the humans they once were, that you almost don't want to face them. Kudos for the designers, no other enemy monster has installed such dread in me.

Silent Hill 3 also deserves some credit for it's settings. Maybe it's just me, but empty places like malls and
    subway stations completely unsettle me. There's something unatural about those places when they're not filled with people like they usually are.

And finally, this scene from the oft forgotten Castlevania 64. The game was fairly average, but the cutscene which occurs in this boss fight sticks out in my mind. I actually jumped out of my seat the first time I played it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AKEuUlTvjI

T-Danger on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    T-Danger wrote: »

Dead Space 2 still creeps the hell out of me. I'm watching a playthrough of it on Youtube and it still fills me with dread. It's not just the feeling that you are the only person alive in this ship, but it's the fear that sooner or later, you have to fight a necromorph. And I have having to fight necromorphs because they are just THAT horrible to face. Easy to kill with the right tools yes, but they're so freakish to look at, plus you can still see and hear traces of the humans they once were, that you almost don't want to face them. Kudos for the designers, no other enemy monster has installed such dread in me.

The second Dead Space hasn't come out yet.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lalabox wrote: »
    T-Danger wrote: »

The second Dead Space hasn't come out yet.

Dead Space: Extraction?

Groooan-urgle-urgBANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Actually, for a light-gun game, it did the horror-pacing remarkably effectively - plenty of downtime with building dread and effectively-timed jumps. The on-rails movement both makes the player more confident (they just have to worry about shooting stuff) and more susceptible to terror (you have no control over the pacing and no ability to run or hide).

Bioptic on
  • Options
    yanyanyanyan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This may sound weird but in Star Wars Shadows of the Empire for the N64 I always got really freaked out by the big snow wookie monster on the second level (the first on foot level). One of them hid behind these boxes you blow up, then it lurches out of nowhere and chases you. It could take a ton of damage too, and had this really weird movement that almost made me shit myself every time I played that level.

Also, some parts in Demon's Souls can be pretty terrifying. Like the Tower of Latria, when
    the guys are trapped in the giant clay jars. And you kill them. Then you realize what you are doing and go D:

yanyan on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Bioshock with the lights off at night is probably my most feared game.

I jumped A LOT.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere in Bioshock. Cohen's masterpiece remains a level, a piece of music and a series of events in general that has stuck with me. Funny thing, I never even 'activated' the.. you know whats. Finding out that you can even do that led to a moment of dawning horror.

X-Com, especially early, was good for a sense of dread. The aliens have you outmanned, outgunned and if you're particularly unlucky they might just start using your people against you. Led to a real sense of satisfaction once you turn the tables on them.

I enjoy the Resident Evils and Silent Hills of the world, but admit I haven't played any of them, as I've never owned a system they're on (or bothered getting the PC editions for those that have been released). I enjoy watching their Lets Plays however, like a campy B movie that runs over a couple of nights.

Clive Barker's Undying was pretty messed up. Sadly I never finished it, as my game got screwed up/corrupted around one level near the last third or so, but I felt they did a lot right with that game. When that jewel glowed to show that there was more to be seen than meets the eye, you quickly learned that ignorance is often bliss.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The article that PC Gamer did up on the Shalebridge Cradle was fucking amazing. It had basically all the points we've been tossing around about scary games since time immemorial: treat your players as smart, implied threats are far scarier then monsters jumping around corners, and level designs should feel wrong.

Robman on
  • Options
    String of LettersString of Letters Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Silent Hill 1 has aged better than any other PS1 title.

Vagrant Story disagrees with you.

String of Letters on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is there a PS1 nostalgia thread? Because I'd say that drinking games surrounding the battle hammer in Bushido Blade are the kings of video game games.

Robman on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think the one that creeped me out the most was Irisu Syndrome, does that count as "scary"?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm a little bit sad Alan Wake hasn't gotten more mentions. Sure, maybe not scary in a OOGABOOGA kind of way, but it really nailed the oppressive atmosphere. Out of every medium (film, photo, games) I stand by Alan Wake as having some of the best use and understanding of light and shadow. Constantly seeing human shaped shadows out of the corner of your eye, spinning to shoot and realizing it was only a bucket on a fence or a tree branch, or a viking ship in a barn. Then you become complacent, and before you know it that shadow- oh, pretty sure it was just a pile of firewood- is caressing your face with a sickle.

Or when you're running through the woods alone, no movement, no enemies for several minutes... and suddenly the shadows go batfuck crazy and start whipping all over the place... holy crap

Something about the dialogue the Taken have, too. Psychotically shouting mundane ramblings of small-town folk.

The GRaveyaRd sHIft MAY caUSe CAncer!

FIShinG can be a hOBby or a SPORT!

STAy awaY from MY DAUghteR!
    CHAINSAWS ARE LOUD!

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    The article that PC Gamer did up on the Shalebridge Cradle was fucking amazing. It had basically all the points we've been tossing around about scary games since time immemorial: treat your players as smart, implied threats are far scarier then monsters jumping around corners, and level designs should feel wrong.

One of my favorite write-ups for a game, it's simply fantastic how much detail they go into. It's a great level though, by and far one of the more memorable segments from a game in recent memory.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://gillen.cream.org/thecradle.pdf
    ^ The article in case anyone was interested.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    IllBleed

*dusts off dreamcast*

Man Illbleed ain't scary! Well maybe the first level is. After that though it just gets goofy.
    SEXAY DAWL!

It's scary but in a different way. Like, somebody-made-this scary.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Silent Hill 1 has aged better than any other PS1 title.

Vagrant Story disagrees with you.

As does Symphony of the Night. And about 50 other games.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Is there a PS1 nostalgia thread? Because I'd say that drinking games surrounding the battle hammer in Bushido Blade are the kings of video game games.

God I miss this game. My copy got stolen while my cousin was borrowing it--got taken with all his DVD's and TV.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Shame Squeenix doesn't seem like they're going to rerelease it on the PSN. I know tons of people that would just buy it outright if it came around.

Any good horror games in a portable capacity? I've got a PSP and not much else, I've got a great grasp on horror games for my PC and Wii, but I'm not so certain I could replicate the same magic on my PSP minus the stock Silent Hills and the PSN downloads for Resident Evil.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr Heist wrote: »
    I'm a little bit sad Alan Wake hasn't gotten more mentions. Sure, maybe not scary in a OOGABOOGA kind of way, but it really nailed the oppressive atmosphere. Out of every medium (film, photo, games) I stand by Alan Wake as having some of the best use and understanding of light and shadow. Constantly seeing human shaped shadows out of the corner of your eye, spinning to shoot and realizing it was only a bucket on a fence or a tree branch, or a viking ship in a barn. Then you become complacent, and before you know it that shadow- oh, pretty sure it was just a pile of firewood- is caressing your face with a sickle.

Or when you're running through the woods alone, no movement, no enemies for several minutes... and suddenly the shadows go batfuck crazy and start whipping all over the place... holy crap

Something about the dialogue the Taken have, too. Psychotically shouting mundane ramblings of small-town folk.

The GRaveyaRd sHIft MAY caUSe CAncer!

FIShinG can be a hOBby or a SPORT!

STAy awaY from MY DAUghteR!
    CHAINSAWS ARE LOUD!

I would definitely say one of the scarier moments for the game for me was
    finding the chainsaw manuscript page

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    System Shock 2 for The Many, the lesser of two evils. Silence the discord.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I remember one of the scariest games I played at the time being Shadowman for the Dreamcast. I still want to grab a cheap used copy, because I really played it off like "haha this game sucks hah..hah..its so sucky I wont even keep playing...he...heh..." but in reality the whole thing just creeped the hell out of me.

I was like 14 (and a huge wuss, which I still am) and my video game enjoyment at that time came mostly from arcadey titles like Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, ect... I liked Resident Evil, but that plot is very B-Movie, so I knew what I was getting into and knew I'd be scared.

But I remember getting ShadowMan and not expecting in the slightest how messed up it would be. I vivdly remember getting to the 1st serial killer, finally beating him, and the combo of really not knowing what I was doing, and just being totally creeped out by the game made me stop. The voodoo aspects, the murder talk, and especially the babies crying in the shadow world all just really got to me.

I own ShadowMan for both N64 and the Dreamcast, it is legitimately one of my favourite games ever. I think when I first played it I may have been even younger than you were (I was probably about 10 or 11) and I often attribute it as being the game that started me off on my obsession with horror in general. Some of the creatures in Deadside were terrifying, just odd things that would scream at you.

I had no idea anyone else even remembered that game. It's a little dated now, but I still think it's fantastic.

Igort on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    IllBleed

*dusts off dreamcast*

SEXAY DAWL!

This works on two levels. :P

Turkey on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the atmosphere in Bioshock. Cohen's masterpiece remains a level, a piece of music and a series of events in general that has stuck with me. Funny thing, I never even 'activated' the.. you know whats. Finding out that you can even do that led to a moment of dawning horror.

I have been racking my brain and I cannot figure out what you're referring to here
    The plaster splicers in Fort Frolic?

Green on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    IllBleed

*dusts off dreamcast*

SEXAY DAWL!

This works on two levels. :P

The scariest part about it is how fucked up the real ending is.
    Great, you made the main character a helpless child that can't do anything now and one of the other moron friends has to look after her. So the whole game was just about breaking her spirit? Uhhhhhh okay. That's great. I'm sure glad I did that. I just hate women after all.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That game sure pushed the envelope for revealing as much of a character as humanly possible without actually having nudity.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They always say it was censored for the US, but I've yet to see one picture to actually prove it. I think it's just something people made up.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Green wrote: »

I have been racking my brain and I cannot figure out what you're referring to here

Yup. I believe you need to find an upgrade station for them to come to life, which I never found during my runthrough.

I really should replay that at some point.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Technicus RexTechnicus Rex All your base.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wanting to get my scare on I took some advice from this thread and picked up Alan Wake from a store and S.T.A.L.K.E.R from steam yesterday.

I'm up to episode 2 in Alan Wake and so far it's ok I guess, but the scare factor seems a little mitigated by the fact that you know there's baddies around from the changed atmosphere. So I dunno I'm a bit meh but I'll give it a fair go, maybe wait until the sun goes down tonight before jumping back into it.

Stalker seems pretty cool, although I've only played it for about an hour so far I think it may have aged well compared to other shooters from when it was released. Playing it on my laptop the sound isn't great but maybe now I've got a good reason to get some new headphones.

Technicus Rex on
    People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's. You can't trust people. - Super Hans.
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    alan wake's really not that scary, so yeah, you might have screwed yourself on that count

Rust on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why would you try to play a scary game at any time other than night? Shameful.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Technicus RexTechnicus Rex All your base.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    Why would you try to play a scary game at any time other than night? Shameful.

Yeah I started at dusk yesterday so mostly I played in the dark.

I've got that thing you know, where you've got a new game and you want to play it.... but I think it would be better if I wait till dark tonight to resume.

If it's not that scary then maybe I'll just play it through and return it within 7 days to exchange it for something else :p

Technicus Rex on
    People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's. You can't trust people. - Super Hans.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Green wrote: »

Yup. I believe you need to find an upgrade station for them to come to life, which I never found during my runthrough.

I really should replay that at some point.

What happened there was so horribly obvious that I placed mines behind myself before hitting the station. It was a short "surprise".

I can get Dead Space not being creepy at all, but I don't get how Bioshock could ever be creepy. The enemies all talk constantly, have glowing parts, and are nearly as noisy as the Big Daddies a lot of the time. Not to mention that you start the game on fairly even footing with them and then rapidly progress towards utterly wrecking them at every encounter. The most response they ever got out of me was getting me pissed off because they wouldn't get off the ceiling or broke windows and got me in trouble.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    STALKER has more of a foreboding Outer Limits kind of vibe to it for the most part. It's all about this oppressive atmosphere. And STALKER does atmosphere like almost no other game. I think this sets up a lot of stuff that wouldn't necessarily be so scary in other environments. But the whole place looks so normal at times. Houses, flowers, birds. Then you see a pseudodog eating a human corpse.

There really is a low level horror vibe. You'll find bodies. You'll find bodies being eaten by mutated wildlife. The very land itself wants to kill you. There are things that can destroy your mind. The laws of nature are on hold. Sure once you progress a ways into the game, gather up some serious resources and firepower, then some stuff loses it edge. But even after that, I can't tell you how many times I was in a good suit of armor, nice and kitted out, when I turned the wrong corner into a pack of wild dogs, and became lunch. I've had some honest to god, involuntary-throw-my-mouse and jump out of my seat scares playing STALKER. Not many games can do that to me. Not many games at all. The Zone is always full of surprises. And some places I just flat out dread. Yantar. Yantar at night. Never get stuck out at night in Yantar.

And if you want to really experience all the tension the game has to offer, forego any sleeping bag mods or anything like that. Experience the night. Go out in it and get neck deep in the shit. Get caught in that midnight thunderstorm. Use the lightning to spot your enemies silhouette. The tension factor at night goes up massively.

So yeah. I think STALKER can be very scary when it wants to be.

Drake on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yup. Technicus, I don't know what shape the Steam version of STALKER is in now, whether it's had the bugs patched out of it or not, but I'd suggest you hit up the STALKER thread here for mod suggestions which really help you get the best out of the game, which it was very difficult to do with the original game as published.

Fairchild on