As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PLANCK??????

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sarukun wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    the show was ugly as hell, the animation was awful, the character designs were trash, the "comedy" (and I hesitate to call it that) was based entirely around Ed being retarded, double D being smart, and Eddy being a grifter, and as mensch said everyone on that show was a huge douche

basically the show was by far the worst of my childhood and always shat up the cartoon network block whenever it was on

Fuck.

You.

c0b21e28-dfd7-4dd4-840a-db8f2b3c4b8f.gif

Rent on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So much animosity over cartoons that are almost a decade old!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I liked Ed Edd and Eddy

the various contraptions they made were awesome

part of why I liked Codename: Kids Next Door

CN:KND was also fantastic.

sarukun on
    edited November 2010
    sarukun wrote: »
    the show was ugly as hell, the animation was awful, the character designs were trash, the "comedy" (and I hesitate to call it that) was based entirely around Ed being retarded, double D being smart, and Eddy being a grifter, and as mensch said everyone on that show was a huge douche

basically the show was by far the worst of my childhood and always shat up the cartoon network block whenever it was on

Fuck.

You.

lulz

Have we rounded the corner where image macros are once again cruise control for stupid?

Seems like we might have.

sarukun on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Plank was the only good part of Ed, Edd and Eddy.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EEE was a great show. Maybe not the best, but it certainly wasn't as terrible as some of you claim.

So what if the three main characters were based off of one defining thing. Most of the other cartoons were as well. I don't recall, but do they ever reveal Ed's older brother?

MereHappenstance on
    edited November 2010
    Plank was the only good part of Ed, Edd and Eddy.

He certainly was a great part.

sarukun on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EEE was a great show. Maybe not the best, but it certainly wasn't as terrible as some of you claim.

So what if the three main characters were based off of one defining thing. Most of the other cartoons were as well. I don't recall, but do they ever reveal Ed's older brother?

in the big picture show movie time extravaganza thing, yes

also ahahahahha rocko's modern life. that does not hold up as well as I had hoped it would

Vann Diras on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rocko's actually got better with age for me

And this Planck game is pretty great, but insanely short

Like, 'did I miss something' short, even with the tutorial

mensch-o-matic on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    press "Q", and it will turn on infinite looping

Vann Diras on
  • ProfessorPlanckProfessorPlanck Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for all the kind words guys and gals. We at Shadegrown just set up this account so we could thank you for taking the time to try out our little demo. We're hard at work making it more awesome and reading these posts are only adding fuel to the fire.

We'll pay attention to this thread and field any questions about the game if you have them.

ProfessorPlanck on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh that's cool.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rocko's actually got better with age for me

And this Planck game is pretty great, but insanely short

Like, 'did I miss something' short, even with the tutorial
    pretty sure this isn't the full game

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited November 2010
    Haha, yeah the demo you played is definitely not the whole game. The demo just features the intro/tutorial level entitled "Welcome to Planck" which, with the tutorial aspect activated, takes a little under 10 minutes to play through without using the loop feature.

We plan to have between 8 and 12 levels with the final version, although some of those might get pushed back to be DLC. We also plan to include a level editor to allow the community to create and share levels of their own.

ProfessorPlanck on
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for all the kind words guys and gals. We at Shadegrown just set up this account so we could thank you for taking the time to try out our little demo. We're hard at work making it more awesome and reading these posts are only adding fuel to the fire.

We'll pay attention to this thread and field any questions about the game if you have them.

If this is for real, effin' sweet.

Here's a question. On a scale of awesome to freakin' awesome, how awesome will the full version be?

MereHappenstance on
    edited November 2010
    I (as the lead designer) would like to say that the final game will be MEGA FREAKING AWESOME to the point where it is leaking AWESOMESAUCE....but I might be biased.

ProfessorPlanck on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ha, a likely story.

Just kidding your game is good.

By the way, awesomesauce?

I haven't heard that one in a while.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited November 2010
    Actually, I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site. When is the expected release of the full version? And how much will it cost?

These are important things to know.

MereHappenstance on
    edited November 2010
    @Merehappenstance - Sadly we don't expect the full version to be released until Fall '11. That said, we've been discussing the possibility of allowing those who preorder the game to have access to all of our beta tests from here on out. As for the pricepoint...we haven't nailed one down just yet. We should be able to have a better idea when we land a publisher, although I wouldn't expect it to cost more than $15 tops.

@Uriel - What's wrong with awesomesauce? Do we have another awesome-fluid that is more commonly referred to these days?

ProfessorPlanck on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How are you looking to release this? Have you contacted Valve about putting it up on Steam? Seems like a natural fit

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited November 2010
    I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I don't think you want to know what passes as acceptible awesome fluid 'round these parts.

MereHappenstance on
    edited November 2010
    Haha, I'll go with "ignorance is bliss" on that one.

As for release method, we're definitely looking to Steam as one of our key platforms. We also have some die hard console gamers on the team who are crusading for an XBLA/PSN version. We've even considered releasing a less robust build for iPhone/iPad/Android in the Spring/Summer prior to the release of the fully featured version.

Luckily the engine we're working with (Unity) allows us the flexibility to launch on any of those platforms.

ProfessorPlanck on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man, I would totally be up for that beta testing for preorders thing.

I could definitely see myself playing this over and over.

Hell, I keep playing the demo over and over.

Lardalish on
    edited November 2010
    Happy to hear you're enjoying it. We're always surprised when we go back and play through the demo we still end up spending 20+ minutes just playing around with the different musical combinations. I alone have easily played that one level over a hundred times and I'm still not sick of it.

Please keep an eye on shadegrowngames.com or follow us on twitter and we'll be sure to keep everyone posted when we have more public betas.

ProfessorPlanck on
    edited November 2010
    So what kind of problems/issues do you face when looking at a console release versus a PC-only release? Audiosurf is PC-only, but then you have a game like Beat Hazard on the XLN that does a lot of cool stuff. What do you have to look at to decide where to focus your efforts?

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited November 2010
    For the most part, very little keeps us from developing console versions of Planck due to Unity's flexibility in regards to publishing options. Right now we're focusing all of our effort on the PC/Mac versions mainly because the Xbox360/PS3 versions of Unity are not yet available. When those are released in the Spring we plan to purchase copies as well as 360/PS3 dev kits allowing us to target those platforms.

That is of course dependent on us securing a publisher who wishes to target those platforms. Remaining strictly indie (not getting a publisher) would make it extremely difficult for a small development team like ours to afford 360/PS3 development. I can say that we feel quite strongly about releasing Planck for the 360/PS3 platforms and are going to do everything in our power to make it happen.

ProfessorPlanck on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I played this for half an hour and it is awesome.

That is all.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Planck is great and I want to pay money for it.

Planck makes my (very powerful) laptop overheat and die.

Dachshund on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This was fun but I think it might be better if it weren't possible to end up with only an instrument that keeps you from getting other instruments, like that 4 blue diamond thing

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did you accidently drop all your instruments except for 1 also?

I did it with some of the less than stellar options as well, but I always was able to pick up a second if i stayed in one "lane" long enough.

Sticks on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i couldn't with that one because it would only destroy 2 motes at a time and it was an eighth note or something

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, this was indeed a fun little 30 minutes. I see that you're wanting feedback, and I don't see a reason why it can't be here. We're all adults. So I'll get right to the nitty gritty.

Fucking...love it.

It's not so much the GAME that's fun, it's just the fact that I can create music with something so simple. Although, I'm not really creating the music. It's basically just a large track that has different channels/instruments, and you choose which ones play constantly while "shooting" the other notes. Interesting concept. I can see most of the folks who play this will want to be able to import their own music. But that's going to be pretty much impossible.

Since you fine gentlemen are going to be using your own music tracks, I think you should give the community the opportunity to submit their own custom songs. It's not hard to make electronic music these days. Just throwing some stuff out there. Amazing "game" you have here :)

StrifeRaZoR on
    StrifeRaZoR.png
  • SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I started this up and my poor laptop shit itself. Guess I need to get a new computer soon

Saint on
    edited November 2010
    @Aphostile - Thank you, glad you enjoyed your half hour. That is all.

@Dachshund - Happy to hear that you would pay for Planck, we hope other people share that mindset. We're looking into ways to make the game's graphics setting scalable so more people can enjoy the game without killing their laptops.

@Zoel - Fixing that weapon made our list of things to do today, we're looking to add an explosion effect to those shots so they are a bit more devastating and don't suck if that's the only weapon you have.

@StrifeRaZoR - Thank you so much for the extended feedback. Any feedback that features "Fucking...love it" makes my day. You clearly "get" what we're trying to do with Planck which is making a fun, playful musical experience that is accessible through the format of a game without remaining bound to things like scores, lives, or difficulty. A lot of people have had trouble wrapping their heads around the non-gameiness of Planck and have requested that we add scores or health. As for user created music we have, for our PC version at least, a level editor set up that streamlines the level creation process and would allow those savvy in electronic music to create their own levels with their own music and share those levels with others.

Thanks everyone!!!

ProfessorPlanck on
    edited November 2010
    As for user created music we have, for our PC version at least, a level editor set up that streamlines the level creation process and would allow those savvy in electronic music to create their own levels with their own music and share those levels with others.

This right here. This is what will make this game greater.

Also, I don't really think having scores or health (especially health) would make the game more interesting. It seems like it would only limit what kind of music you can create. Though I suppose you can have multiple gaming modes where you can focus on health.

MereHappenstance on
    edited November 2010
    That's our hope. If we can create a platform that musicians will support, it will greatly increase the amount of enjoyment players will get out of Planck. We're doing everything we can on our end to make the level editor as user friendly as possible to encourage that type of support.

ProfessorPlanck on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hey Prof Planck, first of all, awesome game. Very enjoyable.

however, I would advise you to contact a moderator of this forum and talk with them directly about your presence here. Though it is clear that you did not make this thread and therefore did not make a thread to sitewhore (like our rules say you shouldn't), it is clear that you are hear because of the emergence of this thread and its resulting traffic.

I, personally think it is awesome that you are currently responding in the way that you are with openness and gratitude to people giving your game attention, but the waters being tred could definitely turn a bit grey.

You will likely be able to work something out with a mod or admin so's you can stay and get good feedback from the people here as we here at Social Entropy are most definitely an honest and varied mush-pot of opinions.

Regardless, good work and here's to hoping you get published!

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think they'd be ok with Planck, bioware dudes post in G+T threads all the dang time.

Antimatter on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah, I was thinking about that. it's true enough, but I figured better safe than sorry. community feedback for a small dev from a source like this can be a really positive thing. wouldn't want to risk it.

and on top of that, in all honesty, they are more likely to link to something about their game than some dude in the dev team of a bigwig company like Bioware

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh no, I don't blame you an ounce, but I remembered the Bioware dudes, and some dude from the Tron video game posting information, and I figured he'd be good.

Antimatter on