As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WE HAVE A SERVER! BUY NOW! MINECRAFT!

• Options
    hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ugh i probably accidentally killed the minecraft server screen, whoops.

deal with it, the map is uploaded now so i'm just going to finish installing mce and put the new map up.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    okay

how

do you dispatch a skeleton lurking in the pitch blackness of a cave an unknown number of blocks away and firing at you without getting your shit wrecked

???

go away

come back with a bucket of magma

bring a bow and arrows, too

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    make your own cover?

It's a shit situation

Seriously on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fugitive wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    So, Safehouse.

I think I'm going to try to prototype it in the UDK, I don't really have much experience with Unity.

The concept is similar to Minecraft, but in sort of a Minecraft meets the Incredible Machine meets, I don't know, like Dead Rising.

EDIT: I didn't mean to hit submit. I'm not done with this yet.

Instead of mining blocks to build blocky structures, you collect materials and craft them into basic building pieces: 2x4s, pulleys, rope, hinges, whatever. Then you combine these pieces in the game world by having them snap together at the joint areas and create larger things. Your goal is not just to build something to protect yourself from the monster hordes that come rushing out of the forests at night, but also to devise interesting ways to kill them.

An example would be that you get some wood from a tree and you craft that into planks, but then you place individual planks into the ground. Based on how you positioned the wood in the 5x5 crafting grid, would determine how tall the plank was. Then you can connect metal sheets or whatever to it to create a safehouse to hide in.

During the day, you will work on building your defenses. Found a little motor? Hook it up with a chain on some gears to a giant metal blade and turn it on to create a stationary monster weedwacker. Hook a huge pendulum to a release switch inside your safehouse and watch it swing right through the hordes. Maybe use pressure switches and springs to create monster catapult traps.

Stuff like that.

Currently, the inventiveness in Minecraft is about building your castle or tower or whatever, basically so you can hide from the monsters. In Safehouse, the goal would be to use your creativity and a physics engine to design all sorts of ways to kill them.

I know people compare Minecraft to LEGO a lot, and I think it's an apt comparison, but for me, I stopped just building houses and castles a long time ago and got into building walking mechs and cranes that picked shit up and Mindstorms robots that could find its way though a maze, so that's the sort of thing I want out of a game like Minecraft. I want it to be more like Technic than standard LEGO.

this sounds amazing

it would have been more amazing with a link so I can try it myself

This sounds really cool.

It sounds like a Minecraft meets Tower Defense sort of game.

Also when we met up in DC I had no idea you were into Minecraft! Pretty much the entire time you were hiding out in Macy's the rest of us were coming up with ideas for objective-based multiplayer modes and geeking out to a criminal extent.

Actually that was basically the whole trip.

It was cool to meet you, and I was excited to see Artreus too, but I had to get my Lexxytimes in.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gotta find me some lavaaaaa

seriously, fuck skeletons

maybe i will take the approach i did the first night, building a shelter and positioning a hole such that i can attack their feet without them being able to hit me

of course, one of two things will then happen:

a) buildbuildbuildTWANG TWANG TWANG FUCK I WASN'T DONE

b) finally, take that ye bastarSSSSSSSSSS

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    - switch the difficulty to Peaceful momentarily

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GOODNESS HOW COULD YOU EVEN SUGGEST SUCH A THING I WOULD NEVER DO THAT

ESPECIALLY NOT FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD SO THAT I COULD LIGHT AND/OR BLOCK OFF ALL THE DARK CORRIDORS UNDERNEATH MY HOUSE BECAUSE I AM A BABBY
    NOPE NEVER

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gave up on mce for now, i must have done something wrong installing numpy, i'll figure it out later. zipping up the world folder for nuka, and then grabbing the new map. it should be up in about 10min, i'll post when it is.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So is there a server up that I can play with you folks? This game is so addictive, it's like legos meets castaway.

Reginald on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder what I could edit the jack-o-lanterns into?
    Fairy lights?

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    server not up, something's up and I'm not sure what....

edit: ok, so the map i copied over was right, but it seems to not have uncompressed properly, i'm trying again.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I gave myself a boat kit. Then I hit compass.

Then I wondered if home was still there so I went home.

Then it crashed.

nuka on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    :...:
    Seriously wrote: »
    make your own cover?

It's a shit situation

A shituation?

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I know, something weird happened when i transferred the rar to the VPS. I just tried again and it looks like it went correctly.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok it's good now, I'm not sure what i messed up before but the map I brought up wasn't the right one. I just confirmed the current one is correct.

Sorry for the confusion!

server: hiartbill.dyndns.org

hiartbill on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, so here's a status update as I sit here amid my strewn-about PC parts.

Power supply on the server is, as I said previously, shot to hell. No chance of saving that. Apparently there is a replacement policy that the fine folks at OCZ offer, but they require a receipt of date of purchase. Since I bought this PSU off a friend of mine from Steam about a year ago, I obviously lack any useful or applicable paperwork, so this thing's probably a very octopus-like doorstop at this point.

I pulled the hard drive with all of its precious goodies out in the hopes that I could throw it into another PC and start pulling files off, but it refuses to boot. Gets as far as 'windows is loading files', then restarts itself for no reason. The computer I'm trying to put this in actually didn't have a hard drive in it at all, so it's not like I can just start windows up off another drive and start pulling files off that way. The hard drive I just put in is the only thing I've got, and I was sort've optimistic that Windows would just boot off of it, but no dice. If someone knows how I can get, like, a version of windows that'll boot off a USB drive or something, let me know and I can try it that way.

When I go back home, probably Saturday night, I can bring the hard drive with me and try and throw it into my main gaming PC and see if I can't get stuff off that way. For now, though, I can say with certainty that my server's completely broken, pending me getting a new PSU, so I'm glad we have a replacement available.

Ein on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Windows installs are so specific to the hardware that there's no such thing as a generic one that will boot off of a USB stick. However, a Linux livecd or usb stick install would fit the bill.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Linux is nothing but crazy moon language to me. I wouldn't know what the fuck to do with it.

Ein on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    well if you could get the image and make a CD, for just pulling files off it it's not that complicated. unless it didn't mount the hard drive automatically, in which case you might want to shoot yourself and avoid the trouble.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Honestly it sounds way easier to me to just throw the hard drive into my main PC in 24 hours, which is probably what I'm going to do.

Edit: The irony of this is probably that if Nuka had thrown up a copy of the blank map back when the server died you guys probably could have rebuilt everything by now. Sorry!

Ein on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that's the best option, really.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nothing we can do about that really.

We are a couple of days behind and we're modding back our lost progress.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Current render will always be available here (and any older one): hiartbill.dyndns.org/minecraftMaps. I'll set up automated renders some time tomorrow, right now I have trees to punch!

hiartbill on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    goddamn
    WSk6T.jpg

Zandracon on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That is lovely.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You can create some neat environments with the biome mod.
    Oca7C.png
    HVK3J.png

If you want this multi tiered world generation stuff, got it from the SA thread. Need to use the biome mod and modify these values.
    WaterLevel:24
    LandscapeFracturePrimary:1
    LandscapeFractureSecondary:100
    VolatilityPrimary:0.9
    VolatilitySecondary:0.1
    VolatilityPrimaryWeight:0.7
    VolatilitySecondaryWeight:0.3

You can mess with Primary and Secondary Volatility Weights, but they have to add up to 1.0

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I got a socket exception as karma, so I won't join until you fix my .dat file.

Unless you were just restarting.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You can login, i was just restarting and I forgot to set the warn flag.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Unfortunately scarlet, it seems the lighthouse causes clients to crash still =/ I just warped there and the same thing happened to me.

I guess it's safe for the server, but unsafe for clients?

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I set up a warp to my cave, it's just nukacave.

Feel free to dig around, it's a small cave but once you start digging it gets huge.
    I'm using the shape of the cave to build out rooms, by flattening and squaring out the walls, ceilings and floors. Any cobblestone, dirt or gravel is yours, but the iron and coal is mine, you're not likely to find any other minerals.

If you end up in a dirt pocket that ends up at the surface, just continue digging it all out so that it follows the shape of the room.

There is no wrong way, I've got plenty of smoothstone so I can go back and fix things or make the rooms suit their purpose.

nuka on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Oca7C.png
    HVK3J.png

If you want this multi tiered world generation stuff, got it from the SA thread. Need to use the biome mod and modify these values.

You can mess with Primary and Secondary Volatility Weights, but they have to add up to 1.0

uh

can we have this? pretty please?

the only complaint I have with our servers recently is that there isn't enough extreme landscape

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just wanted to point out that an ubuntu livecd or usb drive install is really, really dead simple to use

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jesus christ, Zandracon, pretty....!

so i talked to people that mentioned MineCraft in connection with autism. my response was "eh" but i am dronk. dronk! ridiculous!

ahem. cough. i... i hope i was a decent representative for the cause. boyfriend is drunk on the couch, though, so......... (there were far more typos than is obvious. >.> i know i'm so being one of those posters right now, augh wheeeeee....)

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Zandracon wrote: »
    snip
    snip

uh

can we have this? pretty please?

the only complaint I have with our servers recently is that there isn't enough extreme landscape
    I would do this in a heart beat but it would mean starting over entirely.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, not sure if this is just because my machine is quite old, but when you have those biome settings, chunk generation takes a considerably longer time than it usually does.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just started playing this today. Damn is it ever addictive. Seriously how did it end up being 3:30 am

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Minecraft.

i admitted, at the bar, that i would rather be Minecrafting. the ony reason i wasn't -- the laptop is shitty and inadequate to the requirements. i don't think but one of my companions really understood.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    GUYS! listen to this song! (it's excellent. ....it also makes me dance.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8D9xCBcfzw this is not a new thing, it's consistent. ... don't. don't question it.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So it sounds like pooka is pretty drunk

anyway, things are going alright on the new server!
    thank you guys for getting it up and running

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    argh it took me forever but i've cleared 25% of the land needed for my future building.

the rest should take me significantly less time as it will require less slow arse laggy SMP mining.

theSquid on
This discussion has been closed.