As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whining DS?

Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My DS just started making a high-pitched whine any time its turned on. Even on the main menu. The speakers drown it out if they're on, but if they aren't its audible for about 15 feet.

This is not helping my ability to play in public places. Its a very annoying sound. Has anyone else had this problem, and maybe have a cause or solution? I've got an old-style red DS if that makes a difference.

And google searching "DS whine" hah. Yeah. Not going to work. :P

Phoenix-D on

• Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a slightly similar problem with my DS "phat", there's a slight (but no, not audible from 15 feet) whining, especially when there's a lot of white on the screen(s). Also get some crackling noise if the sound volume is below 1/3 or so.

Unfortunately, don't know what to do about it, doesn't seem to be quite as extreme as in your case.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    AbelsAbels Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Me too, with a phat DS.

Abels on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Sounds like a short causing feedback in the speaker. Also, if you're getting it when the screen is white, it sounds like maybe you're getting induction on the speaker's leads, which shouldn't happen if everything is properly grounded so maybe a grounding wire inside broke? It's hard to say what the cause is specifically, but I think you're best off just calling Nintendo and begging for a replacement. They're good about warranties.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH