As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My PC has to go to rehab (I said no no no)

ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
My HTPC died when I wasn't at home, so I'm not sure what its final moment looked like. It was playing a DVD at the time and according to my mom who was near by, it just turned off. Neither she nor my son touched anything.
I checked it out, couldn't get it to power on, and took apart the case. When I reseated the power plug, the machine would turn on for a fraction of a second, the fan on the MOBO would spin for said time interval, and everything shuts down.
Since I got a cheap case and PSU combo (lesson learned...), I'm thinking the PSU went.
Now of course my case uses a proprietary PSU so buying a new one for this case is out of the question.

What are your thoughts? Have I probably diagnosed it correctly? The PSU has a three year warranty on it (according to a sticker on it), is that even worth pursuing?

:cry:

Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
Improvolone on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    From the pictures it looks like your case just uses a server PSU, which is hardly proprietary

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    From the pictures it looks like your case just uses a server PSU, which is hardly proprietary

It looks like the PSU is molded to the case, the back panel doesn't seem to have screws that attach it anyways.

OP, of course the warranty is worth pursuing, unless you'd rather get a new case and PSU. If you were satisfied with the case/PSU you have then get it replaced.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

It looks like the PSU is molded to the case, the back panel doesn't seem to have screws that attach it anyways.

OP, of course the warranty is worth pursuing, unless you'd rather get a new case and PSU. If you were satisfied with the case/PSU you have then get it replaced.

the photo's are blury, but theres at least 1 screw holding it in, probably 2..I cant tell if the second one is a rivet or not because of the blur

it is quiet removable from what i see

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The PSU is removable but from what I've gleaned in the reviews, well, good luck matching it to another PSU.
    I'm looking into getting a new one form the manufacturer. Does anyone have any luck with In Win's service?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!