As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I loved the glyphs and all the conspiracy stuff.

THEY TOOK IT and all that.

But the whole
    Yeah we're aliens and the suns going to kill us I guess?

Didn't really do it for me.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    but.. but..
    They aren't aliens, they are the civilisation that came before and created humanity. They don't see the world as we see it. They could see the end of the world but before they could do anything about it humanity freed themselves from slavery and killed them. They don't want the world to end so they left the warning behind. It's a case of "well, you think you're all grown up now, huh? Well YOu try and stop the world from blowing up."

Bad-Beat on
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll definitely be getting Brotherhood tomorrow.

Perrsun on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I mean, I don't know why anyone would complain about the plot when the entire basis of the game centers around "DNA Memory," which is actually the most insane part of the whole affair.

When you start at "Your dna keeps memories in tact through generations," there's really no crazier path to take.

Langly on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I mean, I don't know why anyone would complain about the plot when the entire basis of the game centers around "DNA Memory," which is actually the most insane part of the whole affair.

When you start at "Your dna keeps memories in tact through generations," there's really no crazier path to take.

Well, it is an idea built upon a fairly solid foundation.

There are instinctual memories that are passed down through species... how to fly, fuck, etc.

some of these instinctual memories are pretty fucking precise, like the elaborate mating dances of the birds of paradise... which these birds can do even if they have never seen one before.

Who knows how much information is stored in the "junk DNA?"
    Whole memories of your ancestors is still pretty silly

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I have a confession, fellows

I never played AC2, and never finished AC because I got bored of the same shit all the time

1) Does AC2 repair that, 2) should I play AC2, 3) on a scale from one to Russell, how retarded am I for skipping AC2

and 4) if I should get it, what system

I never played AC1 but 2 was pretty awesome. My only complaint about 2 is the controls. The controls suffer from "too many actions, not enough buttons"

For instance, I remember at one point you have to chase some guy across the rooftops, and it was very frustrating.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited November 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

Well, it is an idea built upon a fairly solid foundation.

There are instinctual memories that are passed down through species... how to fly, fuck, etc.

some of these instinctual memories are pretty fucking precise, like the elaborate mating dances of the birds of paradise... which these birds can do even if they have never seen one before.

Who knows how much information is stored in the "junk DNA?"
    Whole memories of your ancestors is still pretty silly

Sure, but those are instincts, methods of behavior that ensure survival that are encoded into an entire species. Not like, your body recording that you went to the bank today, and a thousand years later that bank day is still there in the DNA.

Edit: I never had any trouble with the controls in AC2. The several rooftop chases that you have were some of my favorite parts of the game.

The only part where I had legitimate trouble with the controls was in one of the last bonus platforming levels. And that was really the camera's fault. It would shift your perspective really quickly, which meant that you were suddenly holding the control stick in the opposite direction, which was complete bullshit. You couldn't react, you just had to memorize the puzzle's turns, or else you fell.

Also I think those sections were made by a different company?

Langly on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Assassin's Creed 3: Bank Day

Grey Ghost on
    edited November 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed 3: Bank Day

the bank is run by sentient mole people from mars

Langly on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    I think the assassination that gave me the most trouble was one of the DLC missions where you had to take out the guy on the boat without being seen by his guards. I kept almost getting him but they would spot me in the middle of dropping down on him. Finally figured out how to cause enough of a distraction to draw the guards away long enough to climb up and kill the guy.

DMAC on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OK so

I am one of those people who though the original AC was fun for about 2 hours, then became an exercise in repetition. I never picked up AC2 precisely because of this fact, but I've heard some positive things about AC2, and not as many negative things.

Did anyone here who felt the same about AC1 love AC2, or at least like it MORE than AC1? I would like to know if it's worth it for me to pick up AC2 and, at some point, maybe Brotherhood.

Vargas Prime on
    edited November 2010
    At first I thought I had trouble with that one too, but I was thinking of the regular Assassination side mission where you have to follow the guy in the gondola and for some reason everyone is watching for you. That mission was balls.

The boat mission was awesome. I just climbed around the outside of the boat and killed everyone One by one, silently, until the dude was left all alone on a murder boat. It was really satisfying.

Varags, that is like, the entire first page.

"AC 1 sucked, AC 2 is a gift from God." "I didn't really like AC 1, AC 2 is amazing" "I wouldn't fuck AC 1 if you paid me, I will suck AC 2's dick all day long"

Langly on
    edited November 2010
    AC2 is everything that was good about AC1 minus what was bad about it plus a whole lot more.

I loved when you killed someone and, if it were real life, would be easily noticable by the other guards. I liked to imagine the guards were thinking

"nope. There's no assassin in that haystack.. I was the only guard on duty today. Just gonna walk over here I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING UNUSUAL!!"

Bad-Beat on
    edited November 2010
    also it has me, mario.

Langly on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    my favorite thing to do in AC2 were the missions where you had to take out like ten guards that were all together

walk up and poison half of them, making them go berserk and kill the other half before dropping dead themselves

Speed Racer on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    The only part where I had legitimate trouble with the controls was in one of the last bonus platforming levels. And that was really the camera's fault. It would shift your perspective really quickly, which meant that you were suddenly holding the control stick in the opposite direction, which was complete bullshit. You couldn't react, you just had to memorize the puzzle's turns, or else you fell.

hahaha i know exactly which one you're talking about and i spent like a half hour on it because of that last lever and the camera change

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2010
    my favorite thing to do in AC2 were the missions where you had to take out like ten guards that were all together

walk up and poison half of them, making them go berserk and kill the other half before dropping dead themselves

god, once you get smoke bombs and poison the game is just over. I would cackle madly, as I would drop kill two people, drop a smoke bomb, then walk around and poison every last mother one of them, then walk away from a dissipating cloud, leaving behind a crowd of gasping, dying guards.

So awesome.

Edit: I know! Ahhhhh hated that sequence. And they were usually done pretty well, just that one was crap.

Langly on
    edited November 2010
    Alright... maybe I'll add AC2 to my list then.

It can be had for a small number of dollars now anyway...

Vargas Prime on
    edited November 2010
    The entire Vatican City mission is brilliant.

Bad-Beat on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright... maybe I'll add AC2 to my list then.

It can be had for a small number of dollars now anyway...

I've seen it used for $20. It's definitely worth that.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited November 2010
    and even with the online bullshit, it really, really shines on PC. It is seriously maybe the prettiest game I have ever played.

Langly on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

I was so conflicted:
    because i did enjoy beating up Rodrigo Borgia. Fuck that templar cunt. But then i'm all "Oh Jesus i'm catholic and i'm beating up the Pope". CRISIS OF FAITH...kinda

Karl on
    edited November 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Yeah, I'm hoping that the mounted combat in this is done better. That is the one thing that kind of fell through in AC2. They give you a horse, you never really use it except to get from one city to the other, you can't have them in the city, they're just poorly implemented.

This is basically like me saying "This ambrosia of the gods is great, sure, but what about this garnish? I wouldn't say it's the best fruit I've ever had, certainly. *sniff*"

Edit: Except most popes of that era were horrible people, and the catholic church had little to do with religion at that point in time!

Langly on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In general the tomb missions were the low points of the game for me

I liked the general idea but they were always either too dark or the camera wouldn't cooperate or some combination of the two and it made them really frustrating to get through

Speed Racer on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    in what other game
    could you hire a pack of prostitutes to follow you around
    and then throw handfuls of coins to the masses
    and then when some minstrel comes up to bother you grab him, headbutt him, and throw him into a nearby well

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited November 2010
    I think my favorite cinematic assassination was
    during carnival, the part where you have to keep hiding in the crowd, until you can get a good shot on the guy, timing it with the fireworks. So neat.

Langly on
    edited November 2010
    my policy on minstrels was always to tackle them to the ground then keep running

I was the hobbes to their calvin

Speed Racer on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    I liked picking their pockets. Take that you stupid hippies!

DMAC on
    edited November 2010
    my absolute favorite were the templar couriers and pickpockets

because a few hours into the game, I had forgotten that you were supposed to chase them for money or whatever

no
    I chased them because they ran

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited November 2010
    The biggest frustration I had was trying to find the glyph at the dock that takes you to Venice. It was nowhere near where the game told you it was. Took fucking hours to finally find it.

Bad-Beat on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »

because a few hours into the game, I had forgotten that you were supposed to chase them for money or whatever

no

Hey! If I catch you I'm gonna fuck you!

Grey Ghost on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »

no

Hey! If I catch you I'm gonna fuck you!

You didn't even have to kill them for the money, you could do that flying tackle to get the cash. But that took precious seconds from my life so instead I stuck a hidden blade through their back and covered their mouths to muffle the last screams of agony they would make on this earth.

Hunter on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You were actually supposed to do a flying tackle.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited November 2010
    You were actually supposed to do a flying tackle.

look buddy
    I don't know what game you were playing
    but my copy of Assassin's Creed II was subtitled "Ezio Murders Everyone"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, you could do the flying tackle to avoid attracting attention from the guards. I for one wanted to kill every fucker that looked at me funny, so I stabbed them all in the eyes and laughed.

Hunter on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    and even with the online bullshit, it really, really shines on PC. It is seriously maybe the prettiest game I have ever played.

We must've been playing different games.

Because it was glitchy and awful for me.

I didn't really care for this game anyway.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    edited November 2010
    I experienced nary a glitch, and it was smooth as silk.

Maybe your computer sucks?

Langly on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can assure you that it does not suck.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only thing that was broken was your goddamn Villa. I was making so much money halfway through the game it was ridiculous. I would walk up to art vendors and be all, "I will buy everything." and they would weep with joy at their newfound riches as I yawned in boredom trying to find shit to spend my riches on.

I would also go crazy and toss money everywhere.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited November 2010
    I would like to give it a shot on PC, but the Xbox version can be had cheaper.

Decisions!

Vargas Prime on