As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BigMan-ification

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm really curious about his new book, the 5-3-1 for Powerlifters. I might get it when it comes out to see what I can do when I go back to a more involved program.

I am with you on this. He set out the basic gist of the changes to the program in this article. I really enjoyed the original book, and am interested to hear his views on meets, equipment and the like.

I can think of sillier ways to throw away $20.

Yeah that's the article that clued me in to it. I was thinking about getting his first 5-3-1 book but when I saw that I figured I'd just wait for it.

Interesting moment at the gym today, a guy came over to ask me a question about his squat form because "you've obviously been squatting for a while." I was just kinda like uh, ok, but luckily his question was about whether it was ok to have his feet further apart then I have mine and I saw what he was doing and could pretty much be like uh, yeah? Then we commiserated about how a lot of dudes squat with sucky form and need to just lower their weight and do it correctly already.

Peen on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I need some help, ive got a big upper body and large upper arms, but my forearms and wrists are tiny as hell, this means thats I find myself getting a lot of wrist injuries and unable to really push past my current limits.

Im tall and lanky, so im beginning to think this is just something im going to have to deal with, but some advice on anything I can do to either live with this limitation or improve on it would help.

Prohass on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Prohass wrote: »
    I need some help, ive got a big upper body and large upper arms, but my forearms and wrists are tiny as hell, this means thats I find myself getting a lot of wrist injuries and unable to really push past my current limits.

Im tall and lanky, so im beginning to think this is just something im going to have to deal with, but some advice on anything I can do to either live with this limitation or improve on it would help.

I've had that same problem. You need to do a lot of grip work combined with a lot of forearm work.

Grip work includes exercises like farmer's walks and plate pinches

Forearm work includes exercises like reverse curls, hammer curls, wrist curls, hammer wrist curls, and reverse wrist curls

the wook on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    That said, I'm under the impression that your wrists are pretty much as big as they're gonna be unless you get super fat. Forearm work is pretty easy to fit in, though, because usually 4 sets of 2 exercises will do fine. A fun exercise to do in addition to what wook mentioned is when doing a hammer curl to rotate the weight at the top to a supinated grip and then return back to a hammer on the way down.

A duck! on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've heard bits and pieces of this before, but yeah im under no impression I can get my wrists bigger, but im gonna try and incorporate some of this, maybe into off days and some workouts, so at least I can make it so my wrists are strong enough not to get injured and mess up my other routines. Thanks guys!

Prohass on
  • InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OH jeeze Bigmen, I want to lift everyday always. Reading this thread after I lift makes me want to go lift some more. So much fun.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A duck! wrote: »
    That said, I'm under the impression that your wrists are pretty much as big as they're gonna be unless you get super fat. Forearm work is pretty easy to fit in, though, because usually 4 sets of 2 exercises will do fine. A fun exercise to do in addition to what wook mentioned is when doing a hammer curl to rotate the weight at the top to a supinated grip and then return back to a hammer on the way down.

Just break your wrists, arms, etc and get this done.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/09/titanium-foams-replace-injured-bones.html

Never injure them again (until the ligaments tear)

Jyardana on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm currently drinking some dark, dark beer and finishing off the ice cream from my bulk in preparation for not eating anything tasty for four weeks. 8-)

adytum on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you guys

I won a rope this weekend

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ughhh. Having some minor chest pain. Gonna go see the doc this week to make sure it isn't anything heart related. Gonna hold of on the gym until I get it straightened out.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    don't fuck around with chest pain, dawg.

Metzger Meister on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    no shit. I dont wanna keel over in the squat rack. That would be embarrassing.

webguy20 on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    you guys

Tell me more

TheRealBadger on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    no shit. I dont wanna keel over in the squat rack. That would be embarrassing.

True story

My Aunt's roommate was a personal trainer at one of the biggest gyms in Johannesburg. So one day a call comes over the intercom to the offices, "We need help, anybody free come to the pool like right now but for crying out loud keep it quiet."

Turns out some poor little old lady couldn't handle the aquarobics and was just kind of floating in the pool. They had to fish her out and put her in a wheel chair under a blanket since they didn't have a stretcher.

Falx on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you guys

Tell me more

Yes, do.

I often think about getting a length of thick rope, and making a kludged-together sled to chuck some plates in. So I can do sled pulls, and sled drags. I think that'd be fun. It's probably easy to do (I mean making a simple sled).
    But I am not at all handy, and pretty much every weekend after training, shopping, cooking food for the week and doing any kind of social thing I'm usually buggered.

Also, I have no idea where to get cheap rope. Decent thick rope seems to be hell expensive.

_______ _________ _______

In the new year, I reckon I'll change up my 5/3/1 assistance work. I don't think the Bulgarian Split Squats are doing me as much good as I'd hoped, and also my one arm dumbbell rows don't seem to be carrying over all that much to my barbell bent rowing.
    I'm pretty happy with good mornings and weighted 45-degree back extensions as deadlift assistance, and reasonably happy with my pressing assistance work. It's mainly the squat assistance and improving the barbell rowing that I'm concerned with at this point.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    a question

when i do dips

after that, it is like
    mad painful near my collarbone

am i doing something wrong

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    a question

when i do dips

after that, it is like

Ok. This isn't just for you, Shazkar. But a good rule of thumb is if it's painful when you do it, you're doing it wrong.

Dips can put a lot of stress on the sternoclavicar joint. Which is pain in the collarbone area, specifically below the neck. Once again, chest filled with air and shoulders back so you're not dipping on a caved in chest which puts more stress on these joints. Go to a safe depth. If there's persistent pain there, back off the weight or drop the exercise for a while. Keep your head up and straight also.

Kakodaimonos on
    edited November 2010
    Hey while we're on the subject, I get that same kind of pain occasionally when I press. I've got a chest full of air and my shoulders back, what am I doing wrong?

Peen on
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Time to do some HIIT!

'till I puke

hectorse on
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to have to start waking up earlier.

Six scrambled egg whites mixed with a cup of spinach takes a long time to eat.

adytum on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey while we're on the subject, I get that same kind of pain occasionally when I press. I've got a chest full of air and my shoulders back, what am I doing wrong?

Possibly grip. I notice if my grip is wider, I really have to keep up the prehab and rotator cuff work.

Are you keeping a straight path on the bar? Going right down to the sternum and up?

Kakodaimonos on
    edited November 2010
    Goddamn I'm pumped. And it's only Tuesday. This is going to be a long week.

Get to watch this man put up 350kg+ on the squat.

Here he is several years ago setting the NZ bench press record at 305kg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5nYioz3WNE

TheRealBadger on
    edited November 2010

Possibly grip. I notice if my grip is wider, I really have to keep up the prehab and rotator cuff work.

Are you keeping a straight path on the bar? Going right down to the sternum and up?

I've got a pretty close grip and I thought I was keeping a straight bar path, I guess maybe I'm leaning back too far? I know it's a thing, I've got trouble keeping my torso straight up and down when I'm pressing at higher (for me) weights.

Peen on
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    a question

when i do dips

after that, it is like

Ok. This isn't just for you, Shazkar. But a good rule of thumb is if it's painful when you do it, you're doing it wrong.

Dips can put a lot of stress on the sternoclavicar joint. Which is pain in the collarbone area, specifically below the neck. Once again, chest filled with air and shoulders back so you're not dipping on a caved in chest which puts more stress on these joints. Go to a safe depth. If there's persistent pain there, back off the weight or drop the exercise for a while. Keep your head up and straight also.

Never thought to keep chest filled with air while doing dips, gonna watch that. I have a concave chest, not horribly concave but bad enough, so dips always have me a little paranoid.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    edited November 2010
    squats.gif

Peen on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ok, thanks for the advice re: the dips

i knew i was doing something wrong but i didn't know what, so i will take those things into consideration

also, i miss having a gym buddy who did the same workout as me

because when i ask random people for a spot, all i want is for the dude to stand behind me in case i fuck up, i hate having to explain that i dont want his grubby hands all over the bar, it is distracting and annoying

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited November 2010
    squats.gif

I'd definitely wear a shirt with the last panel on it when I go to the gym to squat.

adytum on
    edited November 2010
    Solvent wrote: »
    you guys

Tell me more

Yes, do.

what I did was

I rock climbed better than a bunch of people

the end

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My back hurts like a thousand burning knives when ever I turn my head.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited November 2010
    Solvent wrote: »
    you guys

Tell me more

Yes, do.

what I did was

I rock climbed better than a bunch of people

the end

So it's a trophy rope? Is it fancy?

Peen on
    edited November 2010
    it's an ordinary climbing rope

it was on the prize table, and so I grabbed it because I got second place

they're always the first things to go because they're so darn expensive

it's a good thing there was hardly anyone there!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Ham, you overthink fucking everything. The absolute last thing you need is a course in how to overthink more. Just shut up and go do it. I'm now one of the strongest guys in this thread, from a total wimp, and I didn't do it by theorizing about diets or asking 50,000 irrelevant questions, or by doing any kind of stupid fad training, be it HIIT, crossfit or any of that. I did it by going to the gym and adding 5 lbs to the bar every time, and eating. It really is that simple and I am getting tired of these stupid academic discussions about things that aren't helping anyone here because we haven't come close to maxing out our capabilities by good old-fashioned hard work.

This doesn't go just for Ham. There are a few people here who I think are talking way too much about details when the details aren't going to help them because they haven't learned to bust their ass yet.

This is a good post and very much applies to me.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sure, it's a great post if you're overthinking how to get strong fast.

Hamurabi on
    edited November 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Welcome to the pulled back muscle club?

adytum on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Welcome to the pulled back muscle club?

Doubt it. Just woke up and pain was what my day was to be about.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited November 2010
    Sounds like a pinched nerve. It should go away in a couple of days.

Kakodaimonos on
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    When I first started the weighted vest hikes, I managed to pull a muscle in my upper back in my sleep.

Hit it with heat and ice. Also, those Doan's pain pills that old people use are pretty groovy for back pain.

J. Grant on
    edited November 2010
    So when i got to the gym this morning the owner was all super nice to me. 'oh you're competing this weekend, that's so cool' and 'make sure you do us proud'. The fuck? Where was this encouragement 2 months ago when i was busting ass in training? Oh right, you were busy then telling me i wasn't welcome in your gym.

TheRealBadger on
    edited November 2010
    Doctors appointment next Wednesday to look into the pains in my chest. Gonna keep the physical activity light. My work has me walking 7-8 miles a day pulling moderate loads so I'll still get some exercise in. Gotta make sure to keep eating right.

Glad when he tells me to lose weight that I can tell him ive already dropped 25 and am still going. Hope my cholesterol is ok. Being a fatty though it probably isn't.

webguy20 on
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My left forearm is shot, went in and started my deadlifts today and as soon as I started to go a bit heavier started getting some pain. Think I'm taking the week to rest, just going to do the big lifts and figure out things for 5/3/1 then start that and hit it hard next week.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
This discussion has been closed.