As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Alan Wake (Finished, For Real): The Writer: Episode 2: The Final Countdown

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    ...sort of.

ANSWERED? No.

ADDRESSED? Yes, Alan has the same questions as you.

The DLC is set in a very different location, so Nightengale doesn't come up. Nightengale has a lot of backstory in the stuff that came with the Limited Edition. The bottom line though is just that he's an FBI guy who seems to be pretty obsessed with Alan and is not exactly acting in the most ethical of ways.

The supplimental stuff in the Alan Wake Files from the LE just kind of has a little more on his backstory.

Ok, there are more questions that I had besides that like what the hell was the significance of Barry calling everybody up and saying, "Night Springs." Is that answered?

I have the LE so I'll read it in hopes of learning more about Nightingale, because without modivation or reason behind his actions he is a horrible and badly written character. I mean out of nowhere for no reason some psychotic drunken FBI agent is chasing Alan, and has a hotel room filled with pictures? Without any reason behind the character he just rings hollow, as a cardboard cutout placed in his path for nothing more than suspense. That is unless it is directly referenced that he was no more than a character written into the story by Alan for that very reason, then I'd give it a pass and say, ok that's cool.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Ok, there are more questions that I had besides that like what the hell was the significance of Barry calling everybody up and saying, "Night Springs." Is that answered?

Sarah Breaker was part of a secret society formed by her father and his buddies whose codename they used to signify danger or activation was "Night Springs"

Yeah it doesn't make much sense but there you go
    That is unless it is directly referenced that he was no more than a character written into the story by Alan for that very reason, then I'd give it a pass and say, ok that's cool.
    that's basically it

Rent on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »

Sarah Breaker was part of a secret society formed by her father and his buddies whose codename they used to signify danger or activation was "Night Springs"

Yeah it doesn't make much sense but there you go
    That is unless it is directly referenced that he was no more than a character written into the story by Alan for that very reason, then I'd give it a pass and say, ok that's cool.
    that's basically it

You told me no more than I already knew about the first one, I mean she flat out says it, but they never went anywhere with it, it was a completely limp and dead plot thread the moment she finished that sentence. I guess I guessed the second one right.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited November 2010
    Yeah the secret society thing doesn't make much sense and is pretty fucking stupid

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah the secret society thing doesn't make much sense and is pretty fucking stupid

Maybe it was a plot hook for a sequel.

The_Spaniard on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So... is this now the Alan Wake general thread as well?

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2010
    I...guess?

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So... is this now the Alan Wake general thread as well?

Why not?

The_Spaniard on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    i always figured the secret society thing to be a hastily written plot thread to keep certain members of the town from getting snuffed out

but the pain about criticizing alan wake's plot is that it's so fucking meta that everything has an excuse for itself

except for Mr [strike]Scratch[/strike], who's more like glorified sequel bait

Rust on
    edited November 2010
    Rust you were watching my LP?

<3333333333333333333333333

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    nope

i did tune in to hear you freak out over boob tube though

i think your anger comes across better in text

Rust on
    edited November 2010
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Rent on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The secret society is absolutely for the sequel. Again, other than just "I WANT TO KNOW NOW!" it was in no way important to the story of Alan Wake himself. It's the story of the town and Sarah, which Im very interested in, but it was put in there because they want you to understand -- this shit has happened before, and a handful of people know about it, and are prepared for it.

And I really think it gets weird sometimes how people get so angry over Alan Wake's plot. Something like Assassins Creed has waaaaaaaaaaay more unresolved, unexplained bullshit than Alan Wake, but you never hear anyone say much about it.

Alan Wake was written to be episodic, and I really don't think it's bullshit or a cop out at all that they set up some plot points to hook you, and let them dangle. I just dont understand why instead of "Oh man, I wonder where this is going, I cant wait for Alan Wake 2!" people are getting all angry.

The actual story of Alan Wake - the man, who went to save his wife - is almost entirely wrapped up in this game. The story of Nightengale, Bright Falls, Tom Zane, Dr. Hartman, Mr. Scratch...it all is on the fringe of Alan's story, and a lot of the interviews you'll read from Remedy, and the stuff in the Limited Edition, really just points to that being the next arc in the story.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, a lot of the 'plot points' in AW don't feel like like plot points, they feel like bullshit copouts to explain away plot holes

Like the secret society, to me, just seemed completely unnecessary and out of nowhere.

The best way i can put it i guess would be that it doesn't feel like LOST did in the sense of actual unresolved plot points. LOST did it in a way that felt like they had a greater story to tell with something, they just haven't done it yet. With AW it's like, just sort of "oh yeah we have a secret society kthnx". It didn't even feel like papering over a plot hole because it didn't explain anything. it was just sort of there.

Rent on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey, were we suggesting things for Rent to LP next? I vote Eternal Darkness. Poorish gameplay, awesome story... right up his alley!

gilrain on
    edited November 2010
    Man that's a good idea

Plus I never played ED soooo

Rent on
  • rvrv Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Odin and Tor recorded a song about how to beat the Darkness.

Thomas Zane fucked everything up and trapped himself in the Dark Place.

I think it'd be safe to say this kind of thing happens from time to time in Bright Springs and it would be unrealistic for at least a few of the residents not to notice what was going on and make some kind of preparations to deal with it.

rv on
    steam_sig.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rentus.

Rusten.

Anyway in a town with a lake where a malevolent entity exists to constantly pound on its cage and gain freedom is it THAT much of a leap that a secret society is formed to investigate all the weird shit going on now and again?

I mean, that's the REASON Night Springs is based on the town. Or at least, allegedly.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Now if you really want to ask WTF about something then ask about the 'tutorial' at the beginning because that one guy that was in it is solely for LE people and doesn't get explained anywhere else in the game.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited November 2010
    I see it as a hole when there's a beginning and an end with no middle.

Like if Alan found the clicker, and then at the end just knew to use the clicker - without ever finding the box thing - thats a plot HOLE.

But just kind of hinting there's a secret society isn't a hole, because we have no idea where it's going. What is it's purpose? How old is it? What happens now that Barry has called them?

It didnt really skip over anything, and at this point in the story, we've really seen all that anyone (besides Sarah) knows - Barry was told to call some people, and to say Night Springs, and he did that. Alan and Barry don't even get it - let alone the player. So I get the frusteration that because of the interactivity of video games maybe they didn't set it up as good as a TV show could, but it's not a hole yet - because it hasn't gone anywhere.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, I'm 23 minutes into episode 17 (Innuendo), and Earwig has just made the Lazy Chique pun.

It's...it's horrifying...and perfect. I want your mind Earwig Squad. I need that pun-making mind!

Trynant on
    edited November 2010
    No he's mine

ALL MINE

You can't have him

Rent on
  • Earwig SquadEarwig Squad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trynant wrote: »

I want your mind Earwig Squad.

Uh.

ALL MINE

I'm sorry. I'm using my brain right now.

The whole CODENAME: Night Springs thing makes sense, but wasn't developed enough to make it feel like they were going anywhere with that plot thread. It's supposed to be a background thing, I guess. Once you learn that the Dark Presence only really has it out for Alan and there's a cosmic neighborhood watch on the job, it's clear that that serves to sweep the townspeople under a safe narrative rug. Most of the supporting characters fade out when the story stops being about how lost Alan is. The Twin Peaks-ey small town-ey environment becomes less important at that point.

Unless all the Taken are real people- because holy crap, we've killed every scary blue collar worker for miles and miles around.

We're over thinking it. How much control do you guys think Zane has had over the events of the main game and DLC? I'm not sure exactly how much power had over the plot. However much power he had, I get the sense that it's starting to slip away from by The Signal.

Earwig Squad on
    edited November 2010
    Unless all the Taken are real people- because holy crap, we've killed every scary blue collar worker for miles and miles around.

They are real people. They've been taken over by the Dark Presence. That's why they're called "Taken".

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2010
    So I've finished the game and all the DLC, and I'm still wondering what Zane meant by saying that all Alan's friends would be meeting Mr. Scratch after he was gone.

Also I'm so fucking disappointed at this game never got a PC release. I swear it looked so much better before it became an Xbox exclusive. I'm serious just look at pre-release PC screenshots, the texture quality was embarrassingly better. Hell I'm on the extras disk right now looking at older screenshots and they looked better than the finished product.

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010

They are real people. They've been taken over by the Dark Presence. That's why they're called "Taken".

he means "real people" as opposed to "people written into existence for the sole purpose of getting Taken"

i'm pretty sure that they're real, myself, since Deerfest makes it plausible that you'd have folks coming in from surrounding counties

Rust on
    edited November 2010
    Also I'm so fucking disappointed at this game never got a PC release. I swear it looked so much better before it became an Xbox exclusive. I'm serious just look at pre-release PC screenshots, the texture quality was embarrassingly better.

Eh, textures were never a problem in AW- the main issue graphically has always been face modelling, which was fucking atrocious

Anyways I disagree about the PC release thing, I mean I totally get why they didn't release it on PC I just thought their stated justification for it was retarded

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    Also I'm so fucking disappointed at this game never got a PC release. I swear it looked so much better before it became an Xbox exclusive. I'm serious just look at pre-release PC screenshots, the texture quality was embarrassingly better.

Eh, textures were never a problem in AW- the main issue graphically has always been face modelling, which was fucking atrocious

Anyways I disagree about the PC release thing, I mean I totally get why they didn't release it on PC I just thought their stated justification for it was retarded

I was just looking at super high-def early screenshots on the bonus disk of back when the game was headlining on PC and the texture quality was much better than on the 360.

What did you disagree about the PC release?

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    Rust wrote: »

he means "real people" as opposed to "people written into existence for the sole purpose of getting Taken"

Alan says during the course of the game that real people were going to get hurt, that they needed to get hurt, because it was a horror story.

DarkPrimus on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Great job guys, I'm at episode 15 and you're both pretty entertaining.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited November 2010
    Rust wrote: »

Alan says during the course of the game that real people were going to get hurt, that they needed to get hurt, because it was a horror story.

I also still don't trust Zane, who kind of takes advantage of Alan's confusion, and just quickly says "HEY THEY CANT BE SAVED DONT THINK ABOUT IT JUST KILL" when he first encounters a taken.

I really think this whole thing is Zane masterminding a great escape from the lake, and he's once again being really reckless and selfish.

mxmarks on
    edited November 2010
    Litejedi wrote: »
    Great job guys, I'm at episode 15 and you're both pretty entertaining.

thanks, I'll tell ES, who is never fucking on, the news :P

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    Did anybody notice the subtle Verizon reference in the game? I'm not talking about the cellphone branding, or the actual commercial on the TV in the lodge, I mean the subtle one that you'd miss if you weren't paying attention.

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    I hope you're referring to the giant, all white billboard that simply says VERIZON on it, and has nothing else on it whatsoever, that the game actually centers on screen when you get in a car so its totally unavoidable.

mxmarks on
    edited November 2010
    I pointed that out in the LP, me and Earwig Squad had a good laugh about that

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    I hope you're referring to the giant, all white billboard that simply says VERIZON on it, and has nothing else on it whatsoever, that the game actually centers on screen when you get in a car so its totally unavoidable.

No I'm talking about;
    When Zane says, "There, can you hear me now? Good."

The_Spaniard on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No I'm talking about;
    When Zane says, "There, can you hear me now? Good.

I got to that part of the Signal last night in the LP.

5 minutes of straight lols. And it is as Rent said way more tacky then Boob Tube but to a point of being hilarious.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010
    Dude spainard that was about as subtle as a hatchet to the face

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    and also the hatchet is on fire and asking you if you are satisfied with your current long-distance plan

Rust on
    edited November 2010
    I keep on asking this in like [chat] and stuff so i mine as well ask it here-

those of you who have finished the lp, what's your post-mortem on it? what worked, what didn't (besides the audio- I'm well aware))? What do you think I should do in the future?

be ruthless please

Rent on