As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BigMan-ification

• InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So guys, come December I will have about a month off from school. Awesome. Whats not awesome is I will have no gym in which to lift heavy things. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to during that time?

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    join a gym for a month

Tube on
    edited November 2010
    Yea, I was thinking of joining the Snap Fitness by my house because they do pay as you go. Does anyone know if they are a decent place for doing Bigman lifts?

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Depends on the Snap fitness. Some are just mostly cardio equipment with some dumbbells, others have a rack or two. Really comes down to how the franchisee decided to set it up.

Kakodaimonos on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I did it, no carbs and I managed to run. Tomorrow, carbs!

I don't know about this fish oil voodoo though.

adytum on
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    weighed in at 172lbs

slowly but surely gaining, continuing to suck in food at a truly alarming rate

Scudo on
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Who was it in this thread that got dumped the same time I did roughly? I've got a good story for you...

turns out my now ex fiancee is dating a former good friend of mine who also runs track.

Granted I've been faster than him since high school so its not like I have him as a training incentive, but its like...wtf.

Lolo is single, I'm just going to go out on a limb and ask her out. I've talked to her a few times before, might as well.

Also yay powercleaning heavy again today to make this post relevant!

Jyardana on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is the "former" part recent?

The Black Hunter on
    edited November 2010
    Is the "former" part recent?

Within the last 2 months, yeah

Jyardana on
    edited November 2010
    I just found out tonight. I'm too drunk to go and kick ass tonight

It will probably happen shortly though.

this seems very surreal

Jyardana on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    I just found out tonight. I'm too drunk to go and kick ass tonight

It will probably happen shortly though.

this seems very surreal

I found out something similar at a party, and ended up drinking and smoking everything I could get, including drinks from peoples hands.

I'm surprised I survived

The Black Hunter on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    At least it's not a contact sport. It's great fun when one of your sparring partners is dating your ex.

And I just can't seem to get an uninterrupted week at the gym lately. Either heading out on trips and then I get a cold when I get back. Fall and winter can really suck sometimes.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Who was it in this thread that got dumped the same time I did roughly? I've got a good story for you...

turns out my now ex fiancee is dating a former good friend of mine who also runs track.

Granted I've been faster than him since high school so its not like I have him as a training incentive, but its like...wtf.

Lolo is single, I'm just going to go out on a limb and ask her out. I've talked to her a few times before, might as well.

Also yay powercleaning heavy again today to make this post relevant!

Yeah that was me. That's really shitty, man. What are you planning to do?

I've been dating an amazing girl for about a month now, so if our lives continue to parallel each other you should be meeting a cool girl soon.

Either that, or I'll hang clean 275.

Joe Chemo on
    edited November 2010
    I'm dating both of your exes.

In addition I run the fastest.

Tube on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm dating tube.

I am also a Gazelle

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    A gazelle? Hey baby.

I have veldt fever.

---

My wife is very heavily into martial arts. She can, in a nutshell, whup me. We have a very good friend who is also into TKD. This friend is about 1/2 my weight, literally, and wants to spar with me. (Pads, of course.) I only have a little Aikido, and I know how to bar brawl. That's about it for me. This friend has since located her sparring equipment, and I know where mine is.

Q: Do I spar a girl I outwigh by nearly twice, and when she beats me up, do I cry like a little girl?

J. Grant on
    edited November 2010
    A: Yes, but only if they agree to demonstrate on you how to properly sink a triangle choke.

Kakodaimonos on
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I did HIIT for the first time in... at least a year.

I died terribly
    adytum wrote: »

Fish Oil is not voodoo

snakeoil_supplements_956.png

hectorse on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    J. Grant wrote: »
    A gazelle? Hey baby.

I have veldt fever.

---

My wife is very heavily into martial arts. She can, in a nutshell, whup me. We have a very good friend who is also into TKD. This friend is about 1/2 my weight, literally, and wants to spar with me. (Pads, of course.) I only have a little Aikido, and I know how to bar brawl. That's about it for me. This friend has since located her sparring equipment, and I know where mine is.

Q: Do I spar a girl I outwigh by nearly twice, and when she beats me up, do I cry like a little girl?

I remember when I did Jiu Jitsu for a while, there was a girl exactly like this. She was kinda short, and skinny. Couldn't have weighed more than 120 lbs, but man she submitted nearly everyone at least once. Me, being completely new, was schooled by her on the regular.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm a little disheartened that I'm not making as much progress as the people that started out at the same level as me in my running group, like any of them. I'm getting my ass kicked.

So for a guy that does running 2-3 days a week and body lifting exercises (push ups and sit ups and variations) 3 days a week, should I be taking any kind of supplements like protein? I figure I should at least try something as simple as more protein.

Hoz on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I'm a little disheartened that I'm not making as much progress as the people that started out at the same level as me in my running group, like any of them. I'm getting my ass kicked.

So for a guy that does running 2-3 days a week and body lifting exercises (push ups and sit ups and variations) 3 days a week, should I be taking any kind of supplements like protein? I figure I should at least try something as simple as more protein.

Couldn't hurt. Are you getting enough rest in-between workouts? That can be a big factor.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think so. Although for the last few weeks I've been only getting 4-6 hours of sleep at night, I'll just wake up in the middle of the night needing to take a piss and not be able to get back to sleep. But I'm compensating with naps.

I don't feel tired. I just feel slow.

Hoz on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    J. Grant wrote: »
    A gazelle? Hey baby.

I have veldt fever.

---

Run into her. All the TKD in the world don't prepare you for that.

Seriously, bum rush that bitch and have your way with her.

If she knows a little jujitsu, though, get ready to die as she chokes you out.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited November 2010
    hectorse wrote: »
    Well, I did HIIT for the first time in... at least a year.

I died terribly

Fish Oil is not voodoo

I meant in the sense that the carb cycling diet calls for taking 20+ pills of it today. That's half of one's daily calories in fish oil pills.

I'm taking 6 a day, which is about 450 calories. I think that's a reasonable amount.

*shrug*

adytum on
    edited November 2010
    Is six fish oil tablets really 450 calories? Bloody hell, I might actually get some.

Tube on
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Too much fish oil will thin your blood, just be careful with that. I have no idea how much is "too much" though...

Brucelee41042 on
  • BlashBlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm a big supporter of fish oil, stuff is just all around good.

Anyways while I'm here, I'm 21 years old, 160lbs, 5'9 and I've been weight lifting for about seven months. Before I started lifting I was 140lbs and I'm seeing some dramatic differences. Question, I never really do cardio and I was wondering if my lack of cardio is holding me back or helping me put on mass. I've been told different stories from different folks and wanted to get some input here.

Blash on
    edited November 2010
    No, I'm apparently retarded. I was off by almost an order of magnitude. I'm going to go ahead and blame the bread withdrawal on this one.

It's 25 calories / 2 pills, not 125. So 6 would be 75, 20 would be 250. Which makes a whole lot more sense than what I was going on about.

adytum on
    edited November 2010
    That also means that I ingested a whole lot less than I meant to yesterday. Whoops.

adytum on
    edited November 2010
    No, I'm apparently retarded. I was off by almost an order of magnitude. I'm going to go ahead and blame the bread withdrawal on this one.

It's 25 calories / 2 pills, not 125. So 6 would be 75, 20 would be 250. Which makes a whole lot more sense than what I was going on about.

Yeah I had to double check my pills after you wrote that, haha.

I think a tablespoon of flaxseed oil has like 125 calories in it though. That seems like a quick way to get some calories.

Brucelee41042 on
    edited November 2010
    Flaxseed oil is delicious to eat by itself. It's very temperamental to buy and keep fresh, though.

adytum on
    edited November 2010
    Oh, and I recently made the switch to almond butter over peanut butter. I was getting sick of spoonfuls of peanut butter everyday. It sucks because almond butter is much more expensive... but it's so delicious.

Brucelee41042 on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Liquid fish oil is worth the added expense, imho. Much higher concentration of EPA/DHA and you don't have to take 10+ capsules a day -- just mix it into your protein shakes.

Hamurabi on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Liquid fish oil is worth the added expense, imho. Much higher concentration of EPA/DHA and you don't have to take 10+ capsules a day -- just mix it into your protein shakes.

Yeah, it's a shitload easier to take as long as you don't get the burps. As for almond vs peanut butter, I'd get almond if pretty much any store around me carried it, but it's a good drive to the health food store if I want some, and it's pretty pricey. I definitely prefer it, though.

A duck! on
    edited November 2010
    You all need to try the awesomeness known as cashew butter. That shit is awesome. Horribly expensive, but damn, it's good.

Kakodaimonos on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm allergic.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    I almost blacked out while doing squats today. I should have gone for that last rep, though, because that's what the bail bars are for.

A duck! on
  • DessartDessart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did my first day of lifting for the off-season. It was my first time doing this kind of heavy lifting too, so I'm excited to see where this goes.

Squat-145 (5 pounds off from my body weight)
    Bent over row-75
    Squat high pull- 85
    Squat press- 75

Dessart on
    edited November 2010
    Guys, lifting is too great. Had such an awesome day in the gym. Finally got weighted dips down. It really helps to keep the shoulders back. I also upped my press. Just such a fucking great day all around in there.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Invincible wrote: »
    Guys, lifting is too great. Had such an awesome day in the gym. Finally got weighted dips down. It really helps to keep the shoulders back. I also upped my press. Just such a fucking great day all around in there.

Internet High-Five!
    internet-high-five.jpg

Hamurabi on
This discussion has been closed.