As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, some copies of the PC version back in the day even came with a USB gamepad in the box.

LaCabra on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hope you reading this UV.

Kotaku reports now that the Trilogy will come to America...

...as PSN games. There won't be a bundle but you'll be able to get them nonetheless without needing to import. Which works fine for me. The only one I haven't played is Two Thrones so...

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So in the PS3 versions did they fix the terrible sound quality in Sands of Time

Because that was a serious issue with the original game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So in the PS3 versions did they fix the terrible sound quality in Sands of Time

Because that was a serious issue with the original game

It was an issue

I don't know if I'd call it a serious one

Didn't really affect my enjoyment of the game at all, it was just a slight annoyance

UnbreakableVow on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was it really compressed or something?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It was tinny and awful and sounded like it was being played through a cheap stereo

All the voiceover stuff while in game sounded especially bad

I'm not hearing it in the footage, though! So I guess they fixed it!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It also made some (random) lines of dialogue play back at such low levels that, when combined with the sound quality, they became almost impossible to hear even with the volume cranked.

It was a pretty major issue, really.

Monger on
    edited November 2010
    I never played on consoles, but the audio quality was great on PC, although it did have the dialogue volume issue.

LaCabra on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think that's because everything was being given a volume depending on the 'distance' from the camera, so panning shots meant they were talking really quietly.
    I love the game, but I don't see why subtitles don't come as standard in all games these days.
    They added subtitles for WW, then took them back out for TT? Did people complain?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited November 2010
    I bitch about subtitles all the time if they're not in games

I didn't even notice their absence in TTT

That's how little a shit I gave about that game's story

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    klemming wrote: »
    I think that's because everything was being given a volume depending on the 'distance' from the camera, so panning shots meant they were talking really quietly.
    I love the game, but I don't see why subtitles don't come as standard in all games these days.
    They added subtitles for WW, then took them back out for TT? Did people complain?

well, it was 2003

LaCabra on
    edited November 2010
    A whole console generation after consoles started using voice-acting, I think they could have gotten the hang of it by then.

klemming on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know why, but sands of time just wouldn't work with my logitech wireless controller. I should go back and see if I can fix that and finish the game.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2010
    Ubisoft was kinda lazy about it at the time. The first Assassin's Creed had no subs, even after deaf people complained.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, looks like importing won't be necessary after all. The trilogy is being released 1 game at a time on PSN.

Only $14.99 a P.O.P.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited November 2010
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Well, looks like importing won't be necessary after all. The trilogy is being released 1 game at a time on PSN.

Only $14.99 a P.O.P.

This made me smile more than it should

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    Isn't the game only like 30 something imported? I'd much prefer a disc.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2010
    It's great for me because I only want TTT. I already got SoT and WW for my PC. Kinda like the same reason I don't want to get Metroid Prime Trilogy; I already have Corruption and I don't want anything to do with MP2.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As much as I want to play them again soon, I'll probably hold off and wait and see if they do a sale bundle for all 3 together.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    IGN reports that Sands of Time is hitting in today's PSN update.

I'm excited.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1134876p1.html

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I... want the collection for the 360...

DarkPrimus on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    15 Bucks for HD PoP Sands of Time? So fucking tempting. If I wasn't getting AC:B or NFS:HP it would be must buy.

Kyougu on
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yep! I got on PSN to nab ACB's Copernicus Conspiracy, And there staring me in the face was Sands of Time for $15.

Needs to be Friday!

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    15 Bucks for HD PoP Sands of Time? So fucking tempting. If I wasn't getting AC:B or NFS:HP it would be must buy.

I second this.

Someone buy it and tell us how good the port/upgrade is.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited November 2010
    OH SHIT

A friend texted me about this being released today and I didn't believe him

I am going to go buy the shit out of it right now

The only problem is...play the new hotness (AC: Brotherhood) or an old classic?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    So the framerate is hardly an issue, just a little hiccup now and then. Other than that, it's nice and smooth.

It looks really clean and crisp in HD. Gives me hope for the BG&E re-release.

It's also serving as a reminder of why I loved Sands of Time so much more than any of the subsequent games. I love the combat so much, and especially love (and miss) sucking up fallen enemies. It's also odd how none of the subsequent games (including the '08 game and Forgotten Sands) ever got a wall-running animation that felt so right. It must be the puffy pants.

Also I love how torn apart the Prince gets by the end. Loses his hat first, then the sleeves, then the shirt entirely. I love that. The only other game I've seen do it well enough for me to remember was Batman: Arkham Asylum.

There's a Gold Trophy for rewinding less than 20 times throughout the game. Got that shit on lockdown, although my wall-jump timing is a bit off thanks to Assassin's Creed.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    Is rewind mapped to the mushy triggers? Because that'll prob go off a few times by accident.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cheers for the report UV, that's a sale for me then (or a Xmas present from the wifey).

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited November 2010
    Is rewind mapped to the mushy triggers? Because that'll prob go off a few times by accident.

I don't know, I'm not a little bitch that needs to rewind 8-)

(But no, it's just like the PS2 version; L2 and R2 are first-person and landscape cameras, L1 is rewind)

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010

I don't know, I'm not a little bitch that needs to rewind 8-)

(But no, it's just like the PS2 version; L2 and R2 are first-person and landscape cameras, L1 is rewind)

Any idea if PoP 1 & 2 are hidden away in Sands of Time? I'm assuming if it's a port of the PS2 version then it'll just be PoP 1 (if any).

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2010
    Don't know yet, I haven't gotten that far. I pretty much just got up to the first big fight in the hall, saved and started playing Brotherhood :D

Just needed to take it for a test run first.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    I really hope POP2 is in there. It's the only one I haven't played.
    (Except POP3D, but I can't feel bad about that)

klemming on
    edited November 2010
    It's a port of the PS2 version, so it definitely wouldn't have POP2

I'm surprised you guys don't just grab that re-done version of PoP on the PS Store or XBLA

I never got the appeal of the original, though. Can't stand the awful slippery controls.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    It's a port of the PS2 version, so it definitely wouldn't have POP2

I'm surprised you guys don't just grab that re-done version of PoP on the PS Store or XBLA

I never got the appeal of the original, though. Can't stand the awful slippery controls.

I grabbed the PS3 version and it was hideous compared to the 360. They weirdly took out all the dynamic lighting. Still played through and completed it. I've also got the originals on Amiga and PC, I was more just curious to see if they kept it in.

Oh and if they kept in the cheat code to play the first level of the original game in the Sands of Time engine:
    Unlock PoP first level in 3D
    Start a new game. Stay on the balcony and hold L3 (left analog stick). Then, quickly input the following cheat:

X, Square, Triangle, O, Triangle, X, Square, O

Effect Code
    Unlocks the original Prince of Persia's level in 3D!

I remember thinking they needed to re-do the entire first game like that...then they did.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2010
    The original PoP...I think I was 8 when I played it. It was so unique at the time. Looking back...yeah, I'd say that the controls feel slippery but it was part of the charm.

I still haven't played Karateka tho. I need to get around and do that sometime.

lionheart_m on
    edited November 2010
    The original PoP...I think I was 8 when I played it. It was so unique at the time. Looking back...yeah, I'd say that the controls feel slippery but it was part of the charm.

I still haven't played Karateka tho. I need to get around and do that sometime.

I never found the controls slippery, it just took a while to grasp that you had to wait for an animation to complete. For example the turning animation, after pressing in the opposite direction, the current run animation had to finish, then the turn animation would start. Same with jumping, you had to start the jump before you reached the edge.

This actually REALLY threw me when I played the remakes because they were more responsive!

Mr_Grinch on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I heard there was a good deal on the import only disc version of the Prince of Persia hd games in this thread. Can't find it though.

EDIT: found it.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How is the Prince of Persia HD rerelease? Anyone pick it up yet on PSN? It's only 720p, not 1080p, correct?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited November 2010
    How is the Prince of Persia HD rerelease? Anyone pick it up yet on PSN? It's only 720p, not 1080p, correct?

720p only.

From Unbreakable Vow:
    So the framerate is hardly an issue, just a little hiccup now and then. Other than that, it's nice and smooth.

It looks really clean and crisp in HD. Gives me hope for the BG&E re-release.

It's also serving as a reminder of why I loved Sands of Time so much more than any of the subsequent games. I love the combat so much, and especially love (and miss) sucking up fallen enemies. It's also odd how none of the subsequent games (including the '08 game and Forgotten Sands) ever got a wall-running animation that felt so right. It must be the puffy pants.

Also I love how torn apart the Prince gets by the end. Loses his hat first, then the sleeves, then the shirt entirely. I love that. The only other game I've seen do it well enough for me to remember was Batman: Arkham Asylum.

There's a Gold Trophy for rewinding less than 20 times throughout the game. Got that shit on lockdown, although my wall-jump timing is a bit off thanks to Assassin's Creed.

Mr_Grinch on