As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Heroes of Shadow. Dhampyr Vryloka Vampire now possible.

AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriumsPlateau of LengRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Critical Failures
ITT people try to tell you the way you like to pretend playing as a fantasy elf or dwarf is wrong. Plus you're probably a jerk. Why are you such a jerk? Also that you are not playing DnD the one true way
and that you're a horrible monster. Why do you hate fun?

For a previous OP with all the regular information you should go here. This is a special edition thread for the new online Character Builder! It's going to be a popular topic.

But first as tradition mandates:

Here is a Dungeon

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Aegeri/?action=view&current=Dungeon-1.jpg

Here is a Dragon:

23856green-dragon.jpg

Hence the name. Also, as a bonus picture here is Bane.

372_bane.jpg

He's so dreamy <3.

And no, he's not going anywhere from the OP. He wants you to love his manly pectoral muscles, his huge thigh muscles and bulging tip of the long hard shaft of his spear. The artist who drew this spectacular
visage of our general thread mascot and local god even has a wallpaper of him. All hail Bane!!!!

Speaking of before we go any further here, want to get the perfect way of starting 4E? Don't know where to go though? Try Wizards generously offering both a revised and improved version of Keep on the Shadowfell and the Quickstart rules? What will this cost you?

Absolutely nothing as it's completely free. Download them here.

Now to the super special edition of the thread, the online CB!
Big Changes to Online CB

Today we've seen the launch of the new Character Builder, which is completely online and this means you will need to be on the internet to use it. This is widely considered to be an entirely odd thing and a lot of people aren't happy, especially as the online CB has a few restrictions the original one didn't.

1) You can't make mans while offline, obviously.

2) It has a limited set of exporting options, at the moment although they are "looking into it"

3) It apparently uses tons of bandwidth, which means I will never be able to use it pretty much (due to how much my internet sucks)
Infidel wrote: »
Well, it's expected from this team that we know to be amateur at best, but I found the reason for the sluggish performance and server meltdowns.

You make a change? Cool. The server updates the character and then sends the entire character data in bloated text form back to you. That is 73kb for my freshly created ranger already.

When I click the plus arrow next to Strength, it has to send and reload 73kb of data before I can click again.

What fucking horrible coding.

Oops Wizards.

4) You're limited to 20 characters in total at the moment. This actually makes sense given the above when you think about it.

5) You need silverlight to run it, which means if you initially got excited about using it on your mobile phone (like your iphone) or whatever easily then that unfortunately isn't as easy. I will presume though this does mean that mac users who can use silverlight can now get the CB, that's a good thing right?

6) It comes with all new bugs! Just when they had almost sorted most of the ones in the original.

7) It does support Dark Sun themes though, which is good and making characters in it seems really intuitive at first glance.

In any event, the rest of this thread is dedicated to dueling to the death over this most essential issue. Also I can't find a slot for holy symbols in it *grumbles*
On the delicious bitching in the thread.

A couple of new users have commented on the general level of bitching going on in the thread at the moment, I just want to point out some things for those new to all this.

1) We are in this thread (In general) because we love DnD and like playing it. I am sure if people didn't want to play DnD they wouldn't be bitching, they would be just extremely apathetic and not posting at all.

2) Most of it has to do with the fact Wizards have entirely lost their brains with everything to do with DDI. A lot of us like (or did like, past tense is most appropriate here) these tools as they made life easier. You do NOT need online tools to enjoy Dungeons and Dragon 4th Edition. A lot of us - including me right now - get by with nothing more than good old fashioned books and paper.

3) The books are still of good quality and while people may disagree about various interpretations of essentials, 4E DnD is still fun and a great way to get into PnP roleplaying games.

So don't take the negativity as everyone hating Dungeons and Dragons in general. Take the negativity as people just venting about the fact Wizards has really screwed the pooch on their online tools: But not DnD in general.
VTT beta footage and video walkthroughs.

Dungeons and Dragons VT beta (1/2)

Dungeons and Dragons VT beta (2/2)

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
Aegeri on

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can still make dudes offline, you just have to do it hte old fashioned way

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pen and paper was destroyed as a method of doing anything with the great machine vs. paper wars. Didn't you get the memo?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Pen and paper was destroyed as a method of doing anything with the great machine vs. paper wars. Didn't you get the memo?

oh.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sorry. that was my bad. I was supposed to send it to you. I even wrote a little note to myself to remind me.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can still make dudes offline, you just have to do it hte old fashioned way

That does not contradict the statement at all. That the CB cannot make dudes offline.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So is this new character builder redeemable, or will it forever destroy your bandwidth?

Melding on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    So is this new character builder redeemable, or will it forever destroy your bandwidth?

I know I cannot touch it with a 10 foot pole being in NZ. It just sucks up so much bandwidth and even being uncapped right now it's amazingly slow. I don't know how much that is everyone hammering it to pieces at the moment, but it isn't looking promising from my point of view. When I am capped it will be unusable.
    A quick update on the Server problems that they have been experiencing.

According to WotC_Trevor, they are not due to server load. The traffic hitting the servers is well within what they can handle.

Whoops.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

I know I cannot touch it with a 10 foot pole being in NZ. It just sucks up so much bandwidth and even being uncapped right now it's amazingly slow. I don't know how much that is everyone hammering it to pieces at the moment, but it isn't looking promising from my point of view. When I am capped it will be unusable.
    A quick update on the Server problems that they have been experiencing.

According to WotC_Trevor, they are not due to server load. The traffic hitting the servers is well within what they can handle.

Whoops.

Right, the speed you are experiencing will not change that much without a rewrite of the netcode.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So they're adequately prepared for massive traffic and happy to use up massive bandwidth. That's... odd, to say the least.

Rius on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Possibly they just have no idea what they're doing.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not impressed.

It is sluggish and overall really badly laid out. Horrible amount of wasted space. Fuck off, I don't need a little random picture next to each class to somehow demonstrate what that class is.
    No mouse wheel or keyboard controls.

Things that are not in the new CB that used to be in the old version

You can only have 1 weapon assigned to a power card at any one time. Even powers that are dual weild powers don't properly list the attack and damage for both attacks. Powers that can be used for melee and ranged (like twin strike for instance) can only have one of the versions listed at any one time.

No holy symbol slot. You have to put it in your hand.

No summary of feats - you have to click on each one individually to read the text.

Rituals are just listed in the equipment section with all your other stuff. They ised to be in their own separate list and you could make item cars for them with the details all printed out.

Non magic items can't be shown as item cards (I had ritual components as cards so I had more space for keeping track of what was mine, the parties etc)
    Can't make a blank item card - useful for so many things.

Can't rename items - yes, thats about as far as item customisation went in the old version but it was really useful.

No custom portait - wtf! You can't even have no portrait.

No customisation on the character sheets. Both of the character sheets are really ugly and have so much wasted space. Whats with the massive amount of white space down the right hand side?

None of the character sheets show the calculations for what they are doing liek it did on the old sheet.

Can't remove flavour text from power cards.

The item selection screen is awful. You have to choose a weapon category, then a weapon both from drop down lists, then you can look at the stats on that one weapon.

For comedy - made a quick 2 weapon human ranger. Made it auto pick feats at first level. Sheild finesse and power attack

That said there are some bits I like.
    I like the new second page for feat, racial and class features. The old sheets didn't show enough.
    Apart from the shitty no customisation etc I said above I like the new style power cards. They are much cleaner.
    I ummmm like the skill select when creating a new character. Before you had to click skill, click choose skill. Now you just tick tick tick. Well you would if it didn't pause for 10 seconds after each click. Really I am clutching at straws of things to like here.

Edit:
    Ahahaha I just noticed on the main character sheet pages, all the details look like they are floating. It's like the character sheet is a jpg and someone has typed all the details in photoshop. Loads of them are all misaligned and shit. All of the boxes have like a watermark in the background saying what should be in them. Terrible.

Edit 2:
    Godammit. If you want to raise an already created character to a specific level you have to do it one level at a time!

MrBeens on
  • Options
    PsykmoePsykmoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Missing Feature: Unable to select powers for hybrid characters in Dark Sun?
    Possible Solution: Change Windows Region to USA

Please just farm out your coding to someone else :|

Psykmoe on
  • Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Could someone link to where they're finding the hilarious fix updates like the one Psykmoe posted?

Counterspin on
  • Options
    PsykmoePsykmoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, this is pretty hilarious. Back to Mythweavers for my online storage of characters then.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Error:Can't import a character
    Possible Solution : Stop importing hybrid characters

Loosest possible definition of "solution" ever.

Missing Feature: Missing various types of Chain armor.
    Possible Solution: Masterwork bonuses may already be built in.

It may already be there, how the hell would we know?

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh well, at least we'll always have Orokos for pissing people off with its dice! :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm done with D&D products now. I'll just finish my own damn RPG I've been working on that is based on 4th edition. Hell, I could probably write a character builder using the scripting language in MapTool that is better than what they have.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    God, that reminds me. Infidel, you're a jerk! Khorne's dice in CitOW Game 27 have accomplished a roll with 0.5% probability and another with 0.2% probability =)

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh well, at least we'll always have Orokos for pissing people off with its dice! :lol:

Infy, are you going to create a way for us to enter character sheet information by hand on Orokos instead of using imported files?

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Nope. It's been quite kind to me the last few weeks. Even that last bastion of online sanity is gone!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    branarbranar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have to admit, these reports are seriously disappointing. I want to give them my money. Seriously. I love 4th edition and thus would love to support their forays into e-D&D with my dollar.

They're screwing the pooch so badly, though. Why do they make it so hard for me to justify giving them my money?

branar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    God, that reminds me. Infidel, you're a jerk! Khorne's dice in CitOW Game 27 have accomplished a roll with 0.5% probability and another with 0.2% probability =)
    lodwilk wrote: »
    7 Hits in Estalia, killing 5 Lepers and 2 Acolytes.
    orokos wrote:
    Holy shitting shitballs, Batman!

Holy shit indeed. :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I made a new Lv. 1 Dark Sun character. Did not have any problems. Could just be lucky.

Hachface on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, they don't even use compression.

See all ye of little faith?

Character Export, Day 1.

Every time you change anything.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Character Export, Day 1.

Exporting the whole fucking thing to their server and back again every time you click a button doesn't count!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    I made a new Lv. 1 Dark Sun character. Did not have any problems. Could just be lucky.

Mine (eventually) went through okay too. But apparently inherent bonuses aren't on and can't be turned on (yet), so as long as we don't have to level up we'll be fine. And since there's no divine power source, we don't have to worry about the missing holy symbol slot.

On a related note, I'm curious to see if all this wonderful "no more patches we can just fix things whenever we want" thing is going to manifest itself to fix all these glaring issues in the next couple of days.

I honestly can't imagine how this CB could have passed QC to be released in its current state, except to imagine that there was no QC.

Denada on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sweet Jeebus.

They don't have the 2nd batch of Essentials classes in there. Fucking stupid.

They don't have last months Essential Assassin in there either.

Bah.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Character Export, Day 1.

Exporting the whole fucking thing to their server and back again every time you click a button doesn't count!

Listen, this is a classic D&D trope, subversion of Wishes. Been with us for ages.
    Denada wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »

Mine (eventually) went through okay too. But apparently inherent bonuses aren't on and can't be turned on (yet), so as long as we don't have to level up we'll be fine. And since there's no divine power source, we don't have to worry about the missing holy symbol slot.

On a related note, I'm curious to see if all this wonderful "no more patches we can just fix things whenever we want" thing is going to manifest itself to fix all these glaring issues in the next couple of days.

I honestly can't imagine how this CB could have passed QC to be released in its current state, except to imagine that there was no QC.

"After lying about stuff for two months we promised it'd be ready by this date so we're going to put up whatever we have regardless of how horrible it is." isn't QC?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They started to make their multi-platform web-based tool in fucking Silverlight. As far as I'm concerned that decision shouldn't have passed QC, so I'm nearly certain they just forgot what either the Q or the C in Quality Control are supposed to do somewhere.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    QedQed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    branar wrote: »
    I have to admit, these reports are seriously disappointing. I want to give them my money. Seriously. I love 4th edition and thus would love to support their forays into e-D&D with my dollar.

They're screwing the pooch so badly, though. Why do they make it so hard for me to justify giving them my money?

At least in my experience, it's not so hard to write up a character sheet in mythweavers + the DnD compendium. I spend enough time staring at that; it's worth my subscription. I think it'd be much more obnoxious to roll up paragon and epic characters with the new CB though, and that was actually a big perk of the old one.

Qed on
    Hertzog Torr in The Council of Thieves: IC OOC
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It is slow as molasses, and the level 2 mage I'm building can't select wizard powers, only mage powers. I so very much wanted to like this new builder, but god damn it.

Edit: We house rule in an expertise feat and improved defense feats to everyone's character in our campaigns. No houserule option. We use inherent bonuses. No inherent bonuses option. Why is this thing worse than the offline builder in speed & functionality? Why would someone do this?

We've been making all our essential characters by doing houserule hack jobs on the offline character builder. Looks like we will continue to do that. I am so sick and tired of having piss poor expectations, hoping they will be exceeded, even slightly, but instead they are met.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, I guess I'll stick with the old builder and just ignore Essentials.

Pity, I really liked the idea of the Hexblade. Even if it was basically Elric of Pointsoflight 4E.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    God dammit. I desperately wanted this to be good.

I can handle all of the above mention bugs and lack of certain features.

Except
    BUT HOLY FUCKING SHIT I AM NOT GOING TO FUCKING WAIT 2-20 SECONDS EVERY TIME I CLICK A GOD DAMN BUTTON WHAT IS THIS FUCKING SHIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
    I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    God dammit. I desperately wanted this to be good.

I can handle all of the above mention bugs and lack of certain features.

Except
    BUT HOLY FUCKING SHIT I AM NOT GOING TO FUCKING WAIT 2-20 SECONDS EVERY TIME I CLICK A GOD DAMN BUTTON WHAT IS THIS FUCKING SHIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
    I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Th...that is our regularly scheduled thread.

I'm actually with you on this; despite fucking Silverlight, I wanted them to have just decided not to be idiots again, but nooo, they simply had to live down to their reputation.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have a vacancy at my game table this evening right now! (7:30 pm eastern) if anyone wants to fill in and take over the rogue/warlock hybrid in my MapTool game. Download ver 1.3b76 of Maptool and PM me for details.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hey question to people who tired: how long does it take to upload a character? I'm trying to, but ten minutes later and it's still loading.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Are you trying to import a character with any Houserules? The web CB doesn't have those yet so it hangs when you try and import. There's a few other things it doesn't like, too.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh, yeah might have house rules.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    To import a character you basically want to upload one with things that you could only have made from scratch in the new CB.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hell yeah bitch about CB all day erry day

seriously, this thing

SJ on