As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BigMan-ification

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm dating both of your exes.

In addition I run the fastest.

You can have her man.
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    Yeah that was me. That's really shitty, man. What are you planning to do?

I've been dating an amazing girl for about a month now, so if our lives continue to parallel each other you should be meeting a cool girl soon.

Either that, or I'll hang clean 275.

I'm planning on finally being able to move on (this is the best and most enthusiastic about working out I've felt in about 2 1/2 months)

I'm 100% furious at both of them, but its good for me. Its removed all doubt, confusions, hope of the relationship starting again etc. Those emotions can fuck with your confidence and drive. Anger is a great fuel though and something I can deal with.

Jyardana on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    Anger fueled my lifting from February up until September, but I can't ride that wave anymore. I gotta find some inspiration other than "lol I just like it I dunno" because that was what led me to fairly stagnant lifting for like a year.

A duck! on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've gotten plenty of distance from being stronger and in better shape than guys 10 years younger than me. Dunno if that works for you.

And has anyone ran across a demonstration for a protyazhka or long-pull?

Kakodaimonos on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cool. So all I need to do to get women is either: A) become an elite sprinter, or B) have a 225 lb. overhead press.

Shouldn't be too long before I haveta beat the ladies off with a stick!

Hamurabi on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    Lifting to get girls is the dumbest thing.

Tube on
    edited November 2010
    I acknowledge and appreciate your dissent, Tube.

But I posit that curls do, in point of fact, get the girls.

Hamurabi on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    my friend told me to shave my beard before classes let out, he told me "it'd be like going urban cowboy on them, throw a curveball their way"

and i'm like, yeah, but then i lose this kick-ass beard a month before i'm supposed to

that ain't happening

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

And curls only get certain types of girls. You need to ask yourself if you really want to know those types of girls.

Kakodaimonos on
    edited November 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Sadly, that's true. Before I started doing curls people were like "what you lift?" and after a few months of them, without any other dimensions changing, people were all "so when did you start using roids?" Fuck you, people.

A duck! on
    edited November 2010

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.

Tube on
    edited November 2010

Oh my god.

A duck! on
    edited November 2010
    always knew you weren't just a dumb irishman, tube

Dead Legend on
    edited November 2010
    A duck! wrote: »

Sadly, that's true. Before I started doing curls people were like "what you lift?" and after a few months of them, without any other dimensions changing, people were all "so when did you start using roids?" Fuck you, people.

Bicep work doesn't really feature too prominently in an SS style routine, so I just never had big arms -- triceps notwithstanding. Even now I do my DB curls pretty half-heartedly, and have the sinuous arms to show for it.

EDIT: And I was kidding about the 'lifting to get girls' thing -- though I only lift to look better overall, so I'd be lying if I said a pair of X chromosomes never crossed my mind halfway through a pullup or row. I think they still prefer guys who look like they do work, versus dudes with bigger lovehandles than pecs, or these scrawny skinny jeans guys.

Hamurabi on
    edited November 2010

Oh my god.

This is the greatest thing

Jyardana on
    edited November 2010

Oh my god.

Do you have any idea how long I've been sitting on this joke

Tube on
    edited November 2010
    Not nearly as long as you've been sitting on something else, from the sound of it.

That was very clever for a welshman.

Kakodaimonos on
    edited November 2010

Bicep work doesn't really feature too prominently in an SS style routine, so I just never had big arms -- triceps notwithstanding. Even now I do my DB curls pretty half-heartedly, and have the sinuous arms to show for it.

EDIT: And I was kidding about the 'lifting to get girls' thing -- though I only lift to look better overall, so I'd be lying if I said a pair of X chromosomes never crossed my mind halfway through a pullup or row. I think they still prefer guys who look like they do work, versus dudes with bigger lovehandles than pecs, or these scrawny skinny jeans guys.

It depends, I know I've gotten more looks since I've gotten bigger, but some people can also find muscles intimidating, and there's definitely a point that's "too large" for the general population. In all honestly, low bodyfat + a small amount of muscle is all anyone would need if they want to cruise for shallow women.

A duck! on
    edited November 2010
    aka the brad pitt from fight club

Jyardana on
    edited November 2010
    Low BF seems like the bigger deal, of those two; even a modest amount of lean mass is thoroughly enhanced.

Hamurabi on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tube, that was nicely done. I tip my cap to you sir.

Man I'm finally squatting my own bodyweight and I've got to say, I need to lose some weight. I'm heavy.

Peen on
    edited November 2010
    5 lbs extra upperbody made me pop out of shirts much more than I expected it to.

Jyardana on
    edited November 2010
    It depends. I've had a low body fat before and it didn't make a massive difference to how I was perceived because with my clothes on I looked exactly the same.

Tube on
    edited November 2010
    It depends. I've had a low body fat before and it didn't make a massive difference to how I was perceived because with my clothes on I looked exactly the same.

Solution: wear less clothes
    :winky:

Jyardana on
    edited November 2010
    The motto is 'look better naked,' after all.

Hamurabi on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    5 lbs extra upperbody made me pop out of shirts much more than I expected it to.

I know for me just changing around how my shoulders and traps look has made a big difference in t-shirts.

Peen on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Saw a guy deadlift 620# today in the rack next to me. Motivating as hell to see someone do that without any wraps, or straps - just a belt.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited November 2010
    i can not wait to start lifting again

i am closer to making a complete fist again, and the pain is still there in my left knuckle. the remaining red coloration of my finger slightly concerns me, and that coupled with the wrinkled/dead skin left on there is definitely nasty.

but i should be back in the weight room.

matter of fact one of the guys i used to see at the weight room all the time came by the bar the other day and asked where the hell i was at. he was one of the few i would see and tip my head to, never any words. had a nice conversation.

Dead Legend on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man, i remember when i cut the shit out of my finger once too. that sucked balls for lifting. it probably wasn't nearly as bad as yours, DL, but it was so fucking deep that i couldn't make a fist without it opening up and bleeding everywhere again.

finger injuries are annoying

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited November 2010
    yeah, mrsa is a bitch

thought i was gonna lose the finger there for a while

Dead Legend on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man even at 325 I have visible traps and deffinition on my upper arms and shoulders, I imagine I'd look pretty good with another 100lbs lost. Gotta get there. Already got a girl though, so don't have to worry about that. She loves me fat, so woohoo there.

I'm gonna end up as one of those guys with no necks though. I got a feelin'.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited November 2010
    my dad always told me i have a turkey neck

jokes on him though i put on one of his shirts the other day for a wedding and my neck was too big for it

Dead Legend on
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lifting went awesome today

I will start breaking PR's next Thursday

Plus I did 54 tire flips in 270 seconds for an explosive cardio finish!

hectorse on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The gym always makes me get out of a big funk

But bein' in a big funk makes it impossible to get to the gym

Someone drag me to the gym and put a plate on my face

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    edited November 2010
    Being in a bad mood doesn't make it harder to get to the gym. The weights don't care whether or not you want to lift them.

Tube on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well someone put something on my face

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    god I can't wait to get this chest pain issue sorted out. I want to lift so bad! might go in and do some light rowing anyways.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So Monday I tried out a reverse pyramid style workout. My chest has been pretty damn sore as a result. I definitely lost some strength from missing last week, and only one workout the week previous.

I still managed to get 2 solid squats at 90kg and 3 barely parallel; with bench I did manage to do 5x65kg with great form though. I was very pleased that pull-ups didn't suffer much, probably because I dropped almost 10lbs over the past month.

Thursday I'll be back again. I'll be focusing on OHP and squat, and then back/shoulder accesory work.

For shoulder/back, I'm thinking 3x10 rear delt flies and 3x8 arnold presses. Maybe also bent-over rows.

Also, I did my 1km run on Monday, and I'm back to ~4:20. I guess it's not that bad with like a 3 week break to lose only 20 seconds.

I really need to put together a home-system for lifting when the weather's bad or I'm busy. I might just have to start saving plastic bottles, get some ductape, and make some ghetto weights.

edit: the reverse pyramid scheme I used:
    Squat: 90x5, 80x8, 75x10
    Bench: 65x5, 60x8, 55x6 (planned 10, but I was burnt out)

I'm thinking doing a 3RM first might be better, then going x8 and then x10. Also, I think I didn't take the weight down enough on the bench.

tehmarken on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I used a 5x5 reverse pyramid and got my squat (and SLDL, and press, and front squat, and olympic squat, etc.) up like you saw on that graph a few pages ago.

I'm going to go back to it when my back heals.

Oh we're talking about different pyramid progressions. I was doing like 135x5 160x5 185x5 210x5 235x5 or whatever.

I guess different people / publications call pyramid vs. reverse pyramid different things. Depends on what the weight / rep progression are.

I think of pyramid as starting high then dropping weight.. pyramids get smaller as you go up.

Reverse pyramid is starting low and going heavier.

*shrug*

adytum on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The way I heard about reverse pyramid was saying you started at the top with low rep/heavy weight and went down to high rep/low weight ;p

The idea is doing a few warm-ups sets (for example on Squat, 10x40, 5x60, 5x70) and then do the max weight (3 or 5 x90) and then come down about 10-15% for a set of 8 (8x80) and then down a notch to 10x75kg.

tehmarken on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I get you. It's just semantics. I've never lifted that way, but I've seen some guys with okay benches (~225) doing it.

adytum on
This discussion has been closed.