As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MechWarrior 2 and the crashing thereof

ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morningLoserdomRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Right, so I don't know how this'll work. Um.

I'm trying to install MechWarrior II Titanium Edition. I have a hankering for smacking down some big fuckin' 'Mechs, and Mech3, for whatever reason, isn't doing it for me.

I have WinXP home edition, updated in all high priority ways, or so WindowsUpdate.com tells me. When I try to run the install program, I get an error saying NTVDM.exe (the Virtual DOS, has encountered a problem and needs to close. Checking the Event Viewer, I find that the problem is that:
Windows cannot access the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Userenv because of this error.

I've already followed the instructions on the Windows Support site (checkdisk, etc.). Is there any way for me to fix this, or will I have to resign myself to not playing programs that rely on NTVDM, or is my hard disk beginning to disintegrate and I should replace it before it goes all melty on me?

Shadowen on

• XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did you try Dosbox yet?

Xieflow on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Xieflow wrote: »
    Did you try Dosbox yet?
    D'oh.

No, I have not. Will do.

Also, this program won't install either. Will try it.

Shadowen on
  • AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you get it working.. smack down some Jade Falcon for me. =p

AcidSerra on
    edited May 2007
    AcidSerra wrote: »

Would if I could, but apparently, just because it's a 16-bit program that causes the virtual DOS machine to run doesn't make it a DOS program. DOSBox counts both it and the Mech-making program I linked to as Windows-environment applications.

To be precise, when I type in setup, it interprets it as "win setup", and then says that "win" is an illegal command.

Yeah. I'd noticed.

Shadowen on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, there seem to be both a Windows and a DOS version of the game. Try running it in Compatibility mode, or choose the correct installer for the version you want to play? There might be both of them there (some DOS games of that era had Windows installers and placed a DOS shortcut on your desktop post install).

Glal on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Well, there seem to be both a Windows and a DOS version of the game. Try running it in Compatibility mode, or choose the correct installer for the version you want to play? There might be both of them there (some DOS games of that era had Windows installers and placed a DOS shortcut on your desktop post install).

There were no less than three versions of MW2. Regular DOS version, Win95/Pentium Edition(the one I have, leftover from my P133 MMX Aptiva), and Titanium (Win95 version + GPU support). The Win95/Pentium Edition versions don't run in XP. I recommend either still having my old P133 MMX Aptiva exclusively for the purpose of playing MW2, or picking up MW4: Mercs for like $10-$20 + MekTek mod.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007
    So all I have to do is find a DOS-compatible version of Mech2 and then run it in DOSBox?

...hm.

*for a completely unrelated reason, fires up Azureus*

EDIT: And the only information I could find on somehow getting around that is a patch that only works once you've installed the damn thing. Bleah. Looks like I'm stuck with Mech3, which is okay but vastly inferior in most respects to Mech2.

Shadowen on
    edited May 2007
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So all I have to do is find a DOS-compatible version of Mech2 and then run it in DOSBox?

...hm.

*for a completely unrelated reason, fires up Azureus*

EDIT: And the only information I could find on somehow getting around that is a patch that only works once you've installed the damn thing. Bleah. Looks like I'm stuck with Mech3, which is okay but vastly inferior in most respects to Mech2.

Hence my recommendation of MW4: Mercs, which I think is actually better than MW2 if for no other reason than because autocannons and PPCs work properly.

ViolentChemistry on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Titanium Edition was the Direct 3D accelerated version, for Windows 95 only. It was the last version of the game and it had textures on everything (some, oh so horrible).

I actually prefer the old DOS version I bought, because the game still looks very nice without textures, and I have no problems running it in Dosbox. In fact, the latest release of Dosbox makes Mechwarrior 2 run like a dream, even in SVGA!

EDIT: While MW4 is nice, imo, it can't properly convey the feeling of piloting a huge and heavy mech like Mechwarrior 2 does.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    edited May 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    The Titanium Edition was the Direct 3D accelerated version, for Windows 95 only. It was the last version of the game and it had textures on everything (some, oh so horrible).

I actually prefer the old DOS version I bought, because the game still looks very nice without textures, and I have no problems running it in Dosbox. In fact, the latest release of Dosbox makes Mechwarrior 2 run like a dream, even in SVGA!

EDIT: While MW4 is nice, imo, it can't properly convey the feeling of piloting a huge and heavy mech like Mechwarrior 2 does.

With a joystick it's just MW2 except faster/smoother. Movement is kind of more realistic (particularly regarding terrain), and you have a little more freedom with it. Plus, jump-jets as jump-jets instead of rocket-skates changes their function to be more like the board game as well. Mostly it's just that I am a big fan of autocannons and PPCs, though. In the board game they were fucking clutch when you needed some medium mechs that can hurt heavies.

Edit: And your FCS and HUD are both leagues better than in MW2. And pointing individual arms to fire gives some mechs a 360 degree firing-radius.

ViolentChemistry on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You forgot one other version, which was the BattlePack. Which had that textured puke on everything. I wish there was an option to turn it all off and just have the look of the original.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, Titanium Pack is Win95 only, and just WON'T run on Win XP.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2007
    Also, I started playing Mechwarrior with Mechwarrior, not MW2. So there's a certain win-by-default property that comes with the only version apart from the original (which doesn't run right on my 486 box :( ) with a Shadowhawk.

ViolentChemistry on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Maybe someone could try following patch: http://www.warp13.co.uk/mech2.py - unfortunately I don't have Mechwarrior 2 here.

Dratatoo on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That patch works wonderfully, but only for the original Windows 95 version, not Titanium.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Spoken like true Inner Sphere freeborn trash.
    Quiaff?

Anybody?

TL DR on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    eobet wrote: »

The Titanium Edition also includes the DOS versions on the disc.

Phoenix-D on
    edited May 2007
    I found a file on filefront - the description claims it is patch which enables the titanium edition to run on Windows XP: http://files.filefront.com/Mech+Warrior+2+Titanium+Patch/;6944187;/fileinfo.html

Dratatoo on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    does this sound like a game-on to anyone?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mostly it's just that I am a big fan of autocannons and PPCs, though. In the board game they were fucking clutch when you needed some medium mechs that can hurt heavies.
    I couldn't stand the ACs in MW4. Actually, I didn't like a lot of how they handled the direct-fire weapons, it felt too much like they were trying to shoehorn the Virtual World targeting system into Mechwarrior, where every weapon was hitscan. I can understand lasers and possibly PPCs being instant hit, but ACs, machineguns, and Gauss rifles?

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I am totally going to play some Steel Batallion right now, because getting my Mac to do MechWarrior would be too much of a PITA but huge robots are so cool.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited May 2007
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Mostly it's just that I am a big fan of autocannons and PPCs, though. In the board game they were fucking clutch when you needed some medium mechs that can hurt heavies.
    I couldn't stand the ACs in MW4. Actually, I didn't like a lot of how they handled the direct-fire weapons, it felt too much like they were trying to shoehorn the Virtual World targeting system into Mechwarrior, where every weapon was hitscan. I can understand lasers and possibly PPCs being instant hit, but ACs, machineguns, and Gauss rifles?

..huh? The only hitscan weapon in MW4 was the (pulse) lasers.

PPCs, Gauss, missiles, MGs and ACs all had different travel times.

Phoenix-D on
    edited May 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

This is truth. I'm not sure how anyone could prefer the MW2 autocannon over the MW4 one regardless though, given that the things were utterly worthless in MW2.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

This is truth. I'm not sure how anyone could prefer the MW2 autocannon over the MW4 one regardless though, given that the things were utterly worthless in MW2.
    someone hasn't played Ghost Bear's Legacy.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited May 2007
    WHY wrote: »

I was about to say...

Hell, they're even damn good in MW2 if you pick the right mission and bring enough ammo with you.

Also:

Quiaff?

Anybody?

Quiaff?

Anybody?

Neg, dezgra. The Crusaders lost and the Wardens are the true scions of Kerensky. Deal. :p

But the real trick is that because of this error the game won't install at all, so all these patches are useless to me.

So I took out my frustrations by beating Mech3, from start to finish, my first real attempt at the single-player campaign, in five hours.

What we need is Mech5, bringing back the best aspects of every game...including roleplaying and character advancement from the original.

Shadowen on
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was thinking while reading this...would it be an option(if one were savy enough) to set up XP and 95 on a dual boot system?

Error on
    edited May 2007
    If you can find actual drivers for your stuff, sure. Good luck with that.

Phoenix-D on
    edited May 2007

I was about to say...

Hell, they're even damn good in MW2 if you pick the right mission and bring enough ammo with you.

Most missions in GBL required me to kill more than one enemy. Autocannons were still worthless.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007
    If you can find actual drivers for your stuff, sure. Good luck with that.

Heh...ok fair enough. Curses! Foiled again.

Error on
    edited May 2007

I was about to say...

Also:

Quiaff?

Anybody?

Quiaff?

Anybody?

Neg, dezgra. The Crusaders lost and the Wardens are the true scions of Kerensky. Deal. :p

But the real trick is that because of this error the game won't install at all, so all these patches are useless to me.

So I took out my frustrations by beating Mech3, from start to finish, my first real attempt at the single-player campaign, in five hours.

What we need is Mech5, bringing back the best aspects of every game...including roleplaying and character advancement from the original.

Set the installer file in the CD to Win95 compatibility, and it will run fine (I'm talking about titanium here).

and I've tested the Titanium Patch, it only works with the base MW2 game, Ghost Bear and Mercenaries are still not working :(

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Back in the NavCom clan for mech2, our setups were either entirely laser, though I'd take out the AC versions of some mechs. You'd always get a laugh out of noobs coming in and takeing a Dire Wolf, getting owned by a hellbringer. I admit for campaign, AC's weren't the best, as there was no way to reload like in mech3.

On the other hand, if you were careful, you would be able to tear through opponents in the Trials, and online mech2 was also decent as you wouldn't last long enough for ammo to be an issue most of the time.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited May 2007

Set the installer file in the CD to Win95 compatibility, and it will run fine (I'm talking about titanium here).

I just tried this. Sadly it freezes on launch.

Error on
    edited May 2007
    Error wrote: »

The install process or the game?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2007

Well, for me, the install process. Or, more accurately, I get the error mentioned in the OP.

Shadowen on
    edited May 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    Back in the NavCom clan for mech2, our setups were either entirely laser, though I'd take out the AC versions of some mechs. You'd always get a laugh out of noobs coming in and takeing a Dire Wolf, getting owned by a hellbringer. I admit for campaign, AC's weren't the best, as there was no way to reload like in mech3.

On the other hand, if you were careful, you would be able to tear through opponents in the Trials, and online mech2 was also decent as you wouldn't last long enough for ammo to be an issue most of the time.

In MW2: Mercs, the Hunchback was a funny joke in Solaris matches. In MW4: Mercs, the Hunchback was fucking lethal in Solaris matches.

ViolentChemistry on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I may have to play it again... from what I remember, at the very least the MGs and ACs were instant hit, they just animated a laser-like stream of rounds flying at the target. Missiles I didn't mention because I remember those weren't instant hit.

I didn't prefer the MW2 ACs, but I did prefer the MW3 versions. The LB-10X was badass, you could actually see the shells fragmenting in flight.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited May 2007
    I love my Solaris Uriel in MC4:Merc <3

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2007

I may have to play it again... from what I remember, at the very least the MGs and ACs were instant hit, they just animated a laser-like stream of rounds flying at the target. Missiles I didn't mention because I remember those weren't instant hit.

I didn't prefer the MW2 ACs, but I did prefer the MW3 versions. The LB-10X was badass, you could actually see the shells fragmenting in flight.

Man, I had to lead targets by different distances for gauss rifles, autocannons, PPCs and lasers in MW4: Mercs. I even had to group them seperately in the FCS.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007

It installs perfectly, I tried both 3D accelerated and non. Both times I launch it, hear the correct sound effects, and then it goes to a black screen with an hourglass and sits there.

Error on
    edited May 2007
    Ok, I've searched around different sites and found a patch (or compilation of patches) which allow all games of the triology to work under Windows XP. I am trying it out in the next few days. Here is the content of the readme.txt
    Ok, I can take credit for exactly none of this. All credit goes to the outstanding individuals who developed the code and the techniques. HUGE PROPS to Kontza who wrote the proxy DLL code and did ALL that research.

Please see the URLs below and give credit and thanks to those who actually brought this to you. All I did was to pull it all together in a manner that worked best for me. Hopefully it works for you as well.

Ok, down to the patch itself. I HAVE ONLY TESTED THIS ON THE TITANIUM TRILOGY FOR WIN95!!! I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THAT THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU!!!
    MAKE SURE you install the 3D ACCELERATED version of the games and NOT software only! Once the games are installed, SET THEM TO WINDOWS 95 COMPATIBILITY MODE!
    On 31st Century Combat, copy the files into the game directory, run MW2_XP_Titanium.exe, and choose 3DFx for your video type from the top menu.
    On Mercenaries and Ghost Bears Legacy, just copy the patch files and choose 3DFx for your video type.
    Change your resolution and other rendering options in setupdgvoodoo.exe. These settings will override any settings you make in the ìCombat Variables.î
    I encourage you to go to the sites below, give credit where credit is due, and learn how this patch works. Thanks again to those responsible for the real work!

http://kontza.googlepages.com/mechwarrior2%3Amercenariesxppatching
    http://www.mektek.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85858&pid=941582&st=0&#entry941582
    http://www.warp13.co.uk/mech2.py
    http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/index.htm
    http://vertx.ca/mechwarrior/

It seems to be a combination of *.dll hacks and a glide wrapper. I'll wait till my Titanium Edition arives and then I'll tell you if this works (or if it contains any viruses or other nasty things ;) )

Dratatoo on