As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BigMan-ification

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, squats have really fixed my back posture. My abs feel awesome after core work, now . Can't wait to start cutting so I can see these puppies in full bloom. Yes, I am so vain.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    I'm looking forward to cutting a lot.

Tube on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ninzorjons wrote: »
    Wow, squats have really fixed my back posture. My abs feel awesome after core work, now . Can't wait to start cutting so I can see these puppies in full bloom. Yes, I am so vain.

Oh god yes, squats did wonders for my posture too.

I've also found I have a natural habit of bringing my legs up when I do pull-ups, which ends up giving my abs a bit of extra work :D

tehmarken on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    squats are awesome for teh abs

hectorse on
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did 21, 15, 9 barbell cleans/Burpees.

Jegus fuck, it knocked my ass to the floor. I was panting like a madman. Halfway through the 15 I felt like I was going to pass out.

Woke up this morning, felt like I had been hit by a truck.

So good.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Cutting is the worst thing.

I'm never listening to bigl or eating ice cream ever again.

adytum on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Truly we are masochists. Paying to hurt this good.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RegrettableRegrettable Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I started the practical programming novice program this week, first deadlift day today and I'm pretty sure my everything will be in agony tomorrow.

I was wondering how often I should be adding weight to squats seeing as I'm doing squats 3 times a week and deadlifts only once. Should I be aiming to increase them both symmetrically or should squats go up faster?

Regrettable on
    cthulhusigcopy-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The only thing I don't like about cutting is lifts going down. Otherwise it's less work and you get to watch your body steadily looking better instead of the other way around.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The only thing I don't like about cutting is lifts going down. Otherwise it's less work and you get to watch your body steadily looking better instead of the other way around.

Tube on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DL I remember when you were in here talking about lifting ~400ish, you've had a really horrible string of injuries, haven't you?

Speaking of them, I'm getting some pain in what I think is my lat (muscle underneath my armpit and posterior) from wide-grip pull-ups and hanging leg raises. Any idea what is going on? I'm thinking possible muscle imbalance and I need to strengthen my rotators or retractor scapulae whateverthefuckitiscalled. Am I right?

Tube double-posted! Even admins get errors!

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    First time I deadlifted I passed out the moment I sat down after I got home. I was sawing logs for 2 hours before I woke back up.

<3

adytum on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ive always had it work this way

Deadlifts go up the most, then squats and then bench. But I'm built exactly right for that kind of ratio.

Really, if you can do the whole set, then add weight to it next time.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Only started doing squats recently because this is the closest thing to a barbell we have at the gym I go to:
    champion_ez_curl_bar_with_collars.jpg
    Gonna find out how awkward it is to deadlift with this sucker tomorrow.

edit: it doesn't look too bad in the picture, but the one we actually have is alot curvier.

ninzorjons on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    your hands will probably be right at where the weights go on. I would think you would be able to deadlift with it though, at least at first.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, it may not be too bad. I just never considered it being used for anything other than curls until recently because of its shape.

ninzorjons on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can do a suitcase deadlift with dumbbells. I'll do that sometimes when I want to do higher reps and change things up.

And the real big bigmen do suitcase deadlifts with bars. Grip and rip baby.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Grip and rip baby.

This is my general life philosophy.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Grip and rip baby.

This is my general life philosophy.

Works well in golf.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Had a crappy day yesterday, couldn't do any squats because my knees hurt. And it's not even weighted squats, I have to do the one with the ball behind your back and you slide down a wall and I couldn't do it.

Felt crappy.

Falx on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    grumble this morning gym thing is challenging when you don't sleep well because your nose is congested because some shithead broke your nose 12 years ago and its super fucked up

fuck that stupid kid i remember his face i wish i knew his name i would destroy him

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    grumble this morning gym thing is challenging when you don't sleep well because your nose is congested because some shithead broke your nose 12 years ago and its super fucked up

fuck that stupid kid i remember his face i wish i knew his name i would destroy him

Hey, same thing happened to me except I played shortstop in little league and the shithead was a line drive to the face.

Never got my nose fixed, I kinda like that it lists to the left

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i actually had surgery the other year to fix it, and well, it looks straighter on the outside a bit (not fully) but the inside is still fucked up because cartilage that is bent one way for like 10 years is probably going to just bend right back to where it was for that time

so it sucks in winter when i cant clear out half of my nose

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    DL I remember when you were in here talking about lifting ~400ish, you've had a really horrible string of injuries, haven't you?

Speaking of them, I'm getting some pain in what I think is my lat (muscle underneath my armpit and posterior) from wide-grip pull-ups and hanging leg raises. Any idea what is going on? I'm thinking possible muscle imbalance and I need to strengthen my rotators or retractor scapulae whateverthefuckitiscalled. Am I right?

Tube double-posted! Even admins get errors!

Do you let yourself just hang totally loose? I noticed that whenever I fully hang loose, I get this pain in the back of my shoulder/lat area. This happens with anything that pulls on my shoulders. Chest supported rows, pullups, pulldowns, etc...

Now instead of trying to get that full stretch at the bottom, I stop just before and complete the rep. That extra inch of stretching to increase the ROM isn't worth the pain.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    oof i am so out of shape, i have that good feeling now though of being completely wiped out and exhausted

though being somewhat short of break 45 minutes after im done working out is sad

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aww man, working my obliques was a Bad Idea. :?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Do tell why

ninzorjons on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    adytum wrote: »

Cutting is the worst thing.

I'm never listening to bigl or eating ice cream ever again.

Breakfast today for me was 6 eggs and 2 ice cream sandwiches OH YEAH ICE CREAM 4 LYFE

I need that eating though, for my climb back to lifting respectability. Last squat set was 345#, long way from my heyday of last spring. At first I was planning on doing a Starting Strength/Advanced Novice type thing, with the medium/light day, but I decided instead to do something a little bit more complicated, just for fun, even if it isn't quite as efficient. Basic template here.

big l on
  • Options
    PhrasePhrase Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Despite being a habitual lurker I thought I'd stick my head above the parapet and say that this thread has been a massive help through my first 6 months of lifting.

Thanks for making me feel so guilty that I've actually stuck to my routine, Bigmen.

Phrase on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ninzorjons wrote: »
    Do tell why

In short, because my obliques now look exactly like love handles.

Yeah yeah, I only worked them once and they wouldn't have exploded or anything... but they are noticeably larger / more protrusive, and I'm not quite cut enough for them to look like anything but pouches of fat that taper off at my hips. I mean, you can touch them when I tighten up or lean over to the side and tell they're muscle... but it isn't really feasible to make sure everyone at the pool is aware that they're lean mass and not fat by poking them a few times.

I hate to say it, but... Tube was right. :x

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Working your obliques once is not going to magically make them bigger. Do you expect your arms to get bigger just by doing one curl workout?

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Really?

I increase my work when I'm cutting

the wook on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The motto is 'look better naked,' after all.

looking better naked is one thing, for sure.

looking better clothed leads to more opportunities to look better naked, though

the wook on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Working your obliques once is not going to magically make them bigger. Do you expect your arms to get bigger just by doing one curl workout?

It's okay if you're jaded and don't believe in magic, but don't take that away from the rest of us.

adytum on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the wook wrote: »
    The motto is 'look better naked,' after all.

looking better naked is one thing, for sure.

looking better clothed leads to more opportunities to look better naked, though

Haha, this. The Wook is a wise man.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    And really, once you're both naked, it's not like she'll say, "Sorry, thought you looked better with your clothes off. See you later."

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I know this.

They just seem bigger than they were before. I haven't busted out a tape-measure or anything -- I'm just describing my subjective impression from looking at myself in the mirror. I've also been getting somewhat leaner than I was a few weeks ago just by virtue of ramping up the cardio, so it's also possible they protrude more because my actual love handles have been slightly minimized.

They're also still a little sore in the extreme ROM, a week later.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want to become big, for now I am small. I heard that this was the place to come to alter that.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I know this.

They just seem bigger than they were before. I haven't busted out a tape-measure or anything -- I'm just describing my subjective impression from looking at myself in the mirror. I've also been getting somewhat leaner than I was a few weeks ago just by virtue of ramping up the cardio, so it's also possible they protrude more because my actual love handles have been slightly minimized.

They're also still a little sore in the extreme ROM, a week later.

keep in mind that developing the obliques a little bit is important if you want to build up a sexy inguinal crease

the wook on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    I want to become big, for now I am small. I heard that this was the place to come to alter that.

Where are you starting from? Any prior lifting experience? Play any sports? Injuries?

Kakodaimonos on
This discussion has been closed.