As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The online itself sets it apart from the Wii version. If the online is your bag, then that's the best way to go. The achievements help also. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The Michael Jordan license outsold everything. Uh, who didn't see this coming?

yea that's exactly why NBA2k11 sold well

It doubled last years sales...so yeah. It is.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rakai wrote: »

That and NBA Delete 11 was canceled, and also because it is the best sports game in the last 10 years.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    lol

Michael Jordan had no fucking bearing on 2K11 selling that much, there literally was no other basketball game this year.

By your logic Joe Montana Sports Talk Football 2K12 would be the greatest selling game of all time.

Allforce on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I know this is G&T where people are out of touch but it's possible 2k11 might be the best basketball game ever. you heard about how the EA nba game was canceled? yea you can't really just associate doubled sales with some new game mode without having anything to back it up.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    lol

Michael Jordan had no fucking bearing on 2K11 selling that much, there literally was no other basketball game this year.

By your logic Joe Montana Sports Talk Football 2K12 would be the greatest selling game of all time.

NBA 2K11 was the #1 selling game of the last NPD reporting period.

But please continue to try and do whatever you were doing in this thread before by trying to deny that a Michael Jordan license is worth it's weight in gold.

edit: just as I figured, looks like the tag team is back.

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2010
    You'd think the nba jam license would be worth its weight in gold, but not even the people defending the poor design decisions in this thread bought the game.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited November 2010
    are you seriously saying MJ sold the game and not the fact that there was no competition

do I need to point out Madden sales numbers

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    are you seriously saying MJ sold the game and not the fact that there was no competition

Well at least Madden went up against Back Breaker.

I mean, in theory, any way.

DietarySupplement on
    edited November 2010

NBA Live 10 recieved a free roster update for the 2011 season. Clearly since this was online functionality, 100% of the userbase had no reason to buy 2K11 because they already got a roster update for free, because everyone playing it is online.

Yes, MJ sold the came. The usual hardcore crowd bought 2K11 for the roster update. Casual fans and people that haven't bought a basketball video game in a while bought it for Michael Jordan. Many more people have nostalgia for the '95 Chicago Bulls than a video game that was out at the same time.

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2010
    LOL this guy is crazy I love it

Allforce on
    edited November 2010
    Back Breaker was about as much competition to Madden as NBA Jam Wii was to 2k11.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mugginns wrote: »
    Back Breaker was about as much competition to Madden as NBA Jam Wii was to 2k11.

that'sthejoke.jpg

DietarySupplement on
    edited November 2010

I wish you did because you might notice something:

Madden NFL 2001 1.21 million in US (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2002 2.3 million in US (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2003 3.18 million in US (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2004 3.95 million in US (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2005 5.77 million: 4.35 million in US (PS2), 1.42 million in US (Xbox)
    Madden NFL 2006 5.12 million: 3.71 million in US (PS2), 1.41 million in US (Xbox)
    Madden NFL 2007 4.72 million: 2.8 million in US (PS2), 1.72 million in US (Xbox 360)
    Madden NFL 2008 3.61 million: 1.9 million in US (PS2), 1.51 million in US (Xbox 360)
    Madden NFL 2009 2.3 million first month

Note: 2005 was the last year that Madden had competition against 2k5. After that it was the only show in town.

Rakai on
    edited November 2010

that'sthejoke.jpg

that wasn't a joke

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

To be fair, I think MJ was huge for the non-usual crowd.

I know it's anecdotal, but I and others I know only took notice of it because of MJ and the commercial with Bryant referencing Jordan in a respectful way.

That and, lets face it, when was the last MJ endorsed game?

The big gap in time between that and this would've helped immensely.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited November 2010

or NBA live was to NBA 2k. NBA Live 10 didn't even crack the top 20 when it was released. Every Live fan would have had to bought 2k11 10 times over to explain the increase as a "lack of competition". The whole reason they were changing the name to "elite" was because the Live franchise was irrelevant.

Rakai on
    edited November 2010

I wish you did because you might notice something:

Madden NFL 2001 1.21 million in US (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2002 2.3 million in US (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2003 3.18 million in US (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2004 3.95 million in US (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2005 5.77 million: 4.35 million in US (PS2), 1.42 million in US (Xbox)
    Madden NFL 2006 5.12 million: 3.71 million in US (PS2), 1.41 million in US (Xbox)
    Madden NFL 2007 4.72 million: 2.8 million in US (PS2), 1.72 million in US (Xbox 360)
    Madden NFL 2008 3.61 million: 1.9 million in US (PS2), 1.51 million in US (Xbox 360)
    Madden NFL 2009 2.3 million first month

Note: 2005 was the last year that Madden had competition against 2k5. After that it was the only show in town.

That was also the last year Michael Jordan was in the game...hmmm, I think you may be onto something

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyway- so did anyone get Nba Jam for either PS3 or 360 yet? I was looking forward to this but I'm not 100% sold on the price point yet.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm also curious if anyone has the 360 version yet, as I actually purchased the Wii version but haven't opened it yet... wondering if online is worth anything.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    That and, lets face it, when was the last MJ endorsed game?
    it's been a while

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think the real question is, what if Micheal Jordan appeared in NBA Jam instead?

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited November 2010
    I'm also curious if anyone has the 360 version yet, as I actually purchased the Wii version but haven't opened it yet... wondering if online is worth anything.

I imagine any version is good. I haven't seen a review of online yet, so I have no idea what the latency is like (possible they're using lockstep networking, ala Reach Firefight/Campaign if you are familiar with that).

But also remember that it's an EA title, so there are no guarantees online will be functional this time next year. At which point it won't matter which versino you get anyway.

FyreWulff on
  • CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So this game is incredible and if you don't buy it, you suck.

Caswynben on
    edited November 2010
    Caswynben wrote: »

Basically.

It's fucking awesome in multiplayer.

FyreWulff on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NBA 2K has been beating EA for half a decade on quality (though like all basketball simulators always falls short) so its no surprise in a year with decent advertising, a very marketable spokesperson, and no competition it does gang busters.

NBA JAM though is still a better game. Hell I'd take TE or the N64 spinoff games over any other 3D basketball simulation games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited November 2010
    Caswynben wrote: »

Basically.

It's fucking awesome in multiplayer.

Hell yes it is! I just got back from renting it as I had the itch to play after a recent get together involving the game. Plus it was only about $3.50 for five days and I got a free movie rental as well. Whoo!

Rehab on
    edited November 2010
    NBA 2K has been beating EA for half a decade on quality (though like all basketball simulators always falls short) so its no surprise in a year with decent advertising, a very marketable spokesperson, and no competition it does gang busters.

NBA JAM though is still a better game. Hell I'd take TE or the N64 spinoff games over any other 3D basketball simulation games.

lol

This post is just... so penny arcade. NBA2k11 is a GOTY candidate and NBA Jam is Christmas cash-grabware.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've never liked 3D simulation basketball, they've never gotten the feel quite right.

Arcade basketball on the other hand has been done well for almost twenty years.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Giant Bomb is playing the 360 version of this game right now, live

It looks pretty awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • orangewhiporangewhip Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    I have this for PS3 and haven't been able to get a single online game yet. Does anyone else here have this on PS3? My PSN is Orangewhip313

orangewhip on
    edited November 2010
    I've never liked 3D simulation basketball, they've never gotten the feel quite right.

Because you can jump 50 feet in the air and dunk a flaming basketball... that is definitely how basketball feels...

Have you ever played basketball?

NBA Jam installation test:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/11/18/nba-jam-hard-drive-evaluation#more-30551

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ITT, muggins doesn't let anyone have any fun.

Elvenshae on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I loved NBA Jam so hard back in the day. I never really enjoyed any of the "serious" b-ball sims.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    ITT, muggins doesn't let anyone have any fun.
    Errbody can have fun, not sure what you're talking about. Dumb, baseless opinions-as-fact posts need to be called out.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I've given simulation racing and sports a decent number of attempts *yawn* but they never really held my . . .

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :whistle:

Rehab on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Because you can jump 50 feet in the air and dunk a flaming basketball... that is definitely how basketball feels...

Have you ever played basketball?

I uh

I think you misread his post

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited November 2010
    Haha, I was just playing and heard the usual "Boomshakalaka!" but this time followed by "Boomcrackalaka!" after doing a slam dunk.

Just beat the second legends team (Atlanta) 65-49 with the Chicago Bulls. That felt pretty good!

Rehab on
    edited November 2010
    For those of you wondering, NBA Jam's online lets you quit out without penalty, and the person you quit out on gets no credit for the game.

Guess what people like do with 30 seconds left in the 4th quarter?

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2010
    So it's arcade-perfect then, that's awesome! I can't count the number of times back in the day I watched a guy who was getting beat punch the screen and walk away in disgust.

Allforce on