As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• Saint_DipsetSaint_Dipset Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maou wrote: »
    I hope we get PvP like those 40vs40 BG in WoW and not Zerging World PvP like WAR.

I'm not so much expecting PvP to be like or unlike anything in particular: What I want, as emphasized by the quote I highlighted in my post, is for them to simply make something, and make it work, and for them to shut up about it until they know that it works.

If I don't get in the beta for this game, I am going to play so much Empire: Total War while waiting for the release date, why, it'll make their heads spin!

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They've given hints at 2 game types for PvP, and neither of them are random PvP in the PvE world. One is small scale, 1 team vs 1 team, structured PvP (with a team size less than 6 and more than 4...). My guess is something like team arena, but with a ladder like Guild Wars.

The other they hinted at is 'world PvP', but don't get worried. What they described was more like alliance battles, on an immense map, with multiple castles, supply trains, mines, etc that can be captured, taking place in the Mists.

Believe me, I'm eagerly awaiting PvP information. It was by far the part of the game that kept me playing as long as I did.

-Loki- on
    edited November 2010
    (New York) Post: We know that there will be PvP, PvE and Guild v Guild, but can you explain what World v World (The Mists) combat is?

Eric Flannum: The best way to think of WvW combat is to think of a huge epic strategy game. Forces fight to control resources on the map including towers, fortresses, mines, lumber yards, and supply routes. Each player is one soldier in this massive fight. We do our best to provide a variety of different objectives to keep players involved regardless of whether they prefer going solo or travelling in a group of a hundred.

The three sides consist of three different worlds (what you might call a server in another game) that are matched up at the beginning of the week with one of the worlds emerging victorious.

Short, but decent article. Doesn't tell us much that we don't already know, other than reaffirming the basic "We want this game to be good and not suck and are working towards this goal..."

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    (New York) Post: We know that there will be PvP, PvE and Guild v Guild, but can you explain what World v World (The Mists) combat is?

Eric Flannum: The best way to think of WvW combat is to think of a huge epic strategy game. Forces fight to control resources on the map including towers, fortresses, mines, lumber yards, and supply routes. Each player is one soldier in this massive fight. We do our best to provide a variety of different objectives to keep players involved regardless of whether they prefer going solo or travelling in a group of a hundred.

The three sides consist of three different worlds (what you might call a server in another game) that are matched up at the beginning of the week with one of the worlds emerging victorious.

Short, but decent article. Doesn't tell us much that we don't already know, other than reaffirming the basic "We want this game to be good and not suck and are working towards this goal..."

Wait, we already knew that about WvW!?

Because I hadn't heard of this. That's awesome! You get to BE a soldier in a giant strategy game complete with resources, supply lines, and forts!?

That sounds so amazing. This game needs to come out yesterday.

Melkster on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, they described that in an interview ages ago. Not quite in so much detail, but it's basically the same information.

-Loki- on
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When is the next major game show coming?
    Still waiting for them to expose the final 4 classes.

Maou on
  • LionLion Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PAX East?

I know I specifically asked at PAX Prime what the convention schedule was like for the rest of the year and was told they were done after Paris Games Week for this year.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
    edited November 2010
    Maybe if we're all extra-super-good, then Santa will reveal another class to us for Christmas?

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They are prolly just waiting for Cataclysm to blow over before more news.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They are prolly just waiting for Cataclysm to blow over before more news.

I'm ok with this. I've gotten over my frothing demand for information and diverted my attention to other games while I wait.

Now I have a much more healthy low hum of excitement in my skull for the game. The next profession reveal could well shatter this though.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate that feeling, but I very much understand it... I'm enjoying the calmness of having gotten a cap on my excitement. It won't survive the next snippet of information, though.

Jenosavel on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They shouldn't wait for Cataclysm blow over, they should try to catch WoW quitters by releasing juicy information that will keep them from buying Cataclysm at all. I quit WoW for a new MMORPG, if one is not coming out soon.. I may go back to WoW and no one wants that.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nobody is going to not buy Cataclysm just because GW2 sounds cool. If GW2 was slated to come out in the next 3 months that would maybe sway some people, but that's not the case.

Joshmvii on
    edited November 2010
    GW2 should be worried about D3 instead.
    Their release date might be close.

Maou on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I am a huge GW fan, but I am still going to get Cataclysm. I've been on hiatus from WoW for a few months, but I intend to play the expansion while I wait for GW2/TOR/D3.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cataclysm has too many fish.

Not buying.

Fish are icky.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Why i won't buy Cat.
    1) I don't enjoy the commitment of raiding.
    2) If i buy i will just quest to lv 85 and then BG to get my gear and then quit.

Maou on
    edited November 2010
    Not re-subscribing to WoW, because of
    Matthew 6:7, "...do not use the vain repetitions as the heathens do..."

Actually, it's because I'm new to Albuquerque and have met a bunch of awesome friends who are getting me into D&D-style roleplaying, Warmachine, etc. for the first time and it's awesome.

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    well then you should stop by the warmachine thread in CF

SJ on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CF REPRESENT

Let's not talk about WoW. It's so not Guild Wars 2. No Charr in it I heard.

REG Rysk on
    edited November 2010
    Done and done. Thanks guys!

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Actually, it's because I'm new to Albuquerque and have met a bunch of awesome friends who are getting me into D&D-style roleplaying, Warmachine, etc. for the first time and it's awesome.

Holy shit, you're in Albuquerque?

I'm in Albuquerque.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Caedere wrote: »

I'm in Albuquerque.

___GASP_by_Dokuro.png.jpg

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010
    The OP stretches way past the edge of my screen. Any chance of spoilering the two larger images (the one below "Professions" and the one above "What makes the game original...")?

Pwetty pweez?

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    You know, looking at the picture in the OP with the missing classes, 3 of the 4 almost look like the accompanying leaked concept art. The far left figure looks like the Charr with the bazooka, just mirrored. The far right imahe looks like the armoured female with vague outlines of a winged helmet. It looks like she's holding a rifle standing up, but it could also be a sword, and she has a visible shield outline as well. The inside right image looks kind of like the leaked Mesmer art, minus the fan. The only missing art that's barely recognisable as anything but a black lump is the inside left artwork.

-Loki- on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not really unrecognisable, what with the outline having a shape resembling a long coat similar to the assassin concept art.

reVerse on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The OP stretches way past the edge of my screen. Any chance of spoilering the two larger images (the one below "Professions" and the one above "What makes the game original...")?

Pwetty pweez?

When I remake the thread after it gets locked, which won't be all that long from now since we are near 85 pages, I'll keep that in mind.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010
    We're on page 99, actually.

reVerse on
    edited November 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    We're on page 99, actually.

I read page 83.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010
    You and your non-default page numberings.

Also, what the fuck is up at Arena.net? There's been no new info since the Hall of Monuments thing.

reVerse on
    edited November 2010
    You and your non-default page numberings.

Also, what the fuck is up at Arena.net? There's been no new info since the Hall of Monuments thing.

They are probably, oh I don't know, doing one of two things:

A) Snorting coke off of hooker's asses on the investor's payroll, like good old fashioned MMO developers and petroleum industry regulators.

B) Meticulously crafting a gold encrusted super game for our humble consumption in the (hopefully near) future.

I'm going to go with the latter since Eric Flannum doesn't have white stuff on his nose and they hired Steve Blum.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Caedere wrote: »

I'm in Albuquerque.

Ha! I'm in ABQ, too. We should open our own guild. "Left at Albuquerque", or something.

ButeoRegalis on
    In GW: Matt Argul
    edited November 2010
    A left at Albuquerque would have taken me into the heart of Mexico's violent drug war.

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So what you're saying is we have a premise for a new Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Where's that GW2 info, Anet?

naengwen on
    edited November 2010
    3 things to report. First:

182567.png

http://www.guildfans.com/story.html?story=24060

A brand new GW2 fansite called GuildFans has just been unveiled, created by and for original Guild Wars fans looking forward to the game. It will surely be a cornucopia of Guild Wars 2 related news in the months ahead, kinda like the Darth Hater of Guild Wars.

Next we have an interview with Eric Flannum, revealing a few new minor details relating to ground already covered in previous months in regards to Guild Wars 2 as well as an obvious explanation as to the slow news cycle we have now:
    GuildFans: We've experienced something of a plateau in information released recently. Is this just wind down from the hectic convention season, or is there another reason?

Eric Flannum: There are many reasons for the plateau of information. You certainly hit on one of them though. It took a lot of effort for us to prepare all of that information for release. A ton of work goes into creating those websites, writing articles, and creating videos and many of the people involved needed to get back to focusing on actually creating the game. The approaching holiday season also factors into this, with many people taking vacation to be with family and friends towards the end of the year there is a limit to the amount of work that we can realistically get done.

The main thing however, is that we don’t have anything ready to announce at this time. When we release information we want to be very certain that everything we talk about is in the game and working up to a basic level such that we believe that we won’t have to make dramatic changes to it. We don’t want to tell you all about our awesome crafting system if we haven’t nailed down the particulars of it since that usually results in some unsatisfying information that is either very vague or flat out untrue. That isn’t to say that we never go back and change things after we’ve talked about them (For example, even though we showed off the Sylvari a year ago we have recently gone back to improve them.) but rather that we want to be as certain as we can be when we talk about things.

That doesn’t mean that we haven’t worked on the remaining four professions, PvP, WvW, crafting, or underwater combat, just that we aren’t quite happy with where they’re at yet.

The full interview is here: http://www.guildfans.com/story.html?story=24059&storypage=1

And finally:

http://www.guildfans.com/story.html?story=24061

Design a Guild Wars 2 Skill for a chance to win one of five awesome Wall Prints of Destiny's Edge characters, shown in the linked GuildFans page. They look very slick.

All these links will be added to the OP after I crank out some more paragraphs for my philosophy essay. Enjoy. 8-)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010
    FFS Corehealer, I was just about to post that.

-Loki- on
    edited November 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    FFS Corehealer, I was just about to post that.

4351355662_e56e5864c4_s.jpg

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So stealth for players is finally confirmed. Figured it was coming, after seeing some of the info from PAX. Still, I personally loved shadow-stepping for Assassins.

(If stealth was already confirmed, well clearly I was oblivious. This is just the first time I saw ANet mentioning it.)

Peccavi on
    edited November 2010
    I hate stealth so much.

reVerse on
    edited November 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    So stealth for players is finally confirmed. Figured it was coming, after seeing some of the info from PAX. Still, I personally loved shadow-stepping for Assassins.

(If stealth was already confirmed, well clearly I was oblivious. This is just the first time I saw ANet mentioning it.)

It was implied at PAX but this is indeed the first explicit admission we have by ArenaNet that stealth mechanics are in the game, thus making the Assassin class or whatever it's spiritual successor is a very likely choice for a class to be revealed.
    I hate stealth so much.

spy-backstab.jpg

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.