As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The decisions you made effect the world though.

Also every complaint about this game is pretty much why im interested in it. Your tears sustain me PA thread.

Prohass on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    vsove wrote: »
    takyris wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    What are people complaining about DA2? I don't follow media at all, I just wait for the game to become cheap then I get it.
    There's a dialog wheel and you have the option of pushing a button to attack.

That's it. Pre-order canceled.

Don't make me come down there!

Shouldn't you be off working on the sloth demon drunk idle pose, or whatever it is you do?

Kidding! I don't think you guys have had a weekend in six months, and it has looked kickass whenever I've snuck up to steal Kit Kats from Mary Kirby's candy-or-scorpions box.

takyris on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I pressed thus one button, and my inventory reorganized itself, and I was like WOW.

What does that have to do with World of Warcraft?

So confused.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maou wrote: »
    So have they confirmed how we transfer our character from the original DA: O into this? Can't wait to continue my character's adventures :D

You cannot.
    D:
    You play as Hawke in DA 2.

oh my...

ohmygod...

Relax. The things you did in DA:O will still be reflected in the storyline, you're just playing a different character.

In case you haven't heard, the game starts in the middle of the Blight from DA:O (Hawke is a refugee from Lothering, which gets devoured by the Blight in DA:O) and goes on 10 years into the future from that.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    If that's true I will honestly struggle to play this game without a top down view. The camera will have to zoom out a good two or three times as much as Origins to be functional for full party control.

This was just my experience with Origins, but I had no problem making tactical decisions or casting spells with the third-person or slightly zoomed out third-person view. I also enjoyed being able to take in the full scenery they built for the game, as well as watching from up close as my character sliced off someone's face. Zooming way out made me feel divorced from the game a little bit.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I also enjoyed being able to take in the full scenery they built for the game
    Which is why you could just do zoomed out for combat, zoomed in for walking around.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    endeerrrrrrrrss i am being irked and they do not get why

Antithesis on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I zoomed in for walking around because the camera doesn't zoom out far enough. For battle though it has to be zoomed out or I can't see shit that's going on around me and with the rest of my party. I'm not interested in fully AI controlled party members with shortcuts to activate abilities as in ME, so I'm not seeing how I can control everyone without the top down view.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    You guys know you can move the camera in the third person view by hold right click right? Its pretty fucking easy to see the whole battelfield, and sometimes easier than the tatical view.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It was usually fucking hard to tell where shit is in relation to other shit. The zoomed out view allowed it better when you were trying to coordinate your guys.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know about anyone else, but top down was the only way to accurately judge exactly where the back arc was, or just barely miss allies with cone spells, because of the skewed perspective

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but top down was the only way to accurately judge exactly where the back arc was, or just barely miss allies with cone spells, because of the skewed perspective

It was useful for aiming the fireball spell so that enemies running towards you would be inside the area by the time the fireball reached them while not resulting in you getting blasted by accident. Even with shortened time between click and the spell hitting, it would still be very useful.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So they aren't actually keeping top down tactical play or are they?

I honestly can't bloody tell what they are doing anymore with this game. It's like they are systematically everything I actually liked about Dragon Age: Origins and making Dragon Effect. The only problem is with ME2 they removed things that were stupid, clunky and didn't actually make the game any fun. In this, they're removed everything I actually liked about the original. I really hope there is a mod really soon after release that restores the top down view.

Edit: Alternatively, whoever was talking to Kotaku is just wrong and doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    You guys know you can move the camera in the third person view by hold right click right? Its pretty fucking easy to see the whole battelfield, and sometimes easier than the tatical view.

But with tactical I can see the entire battlefield all of the time. And people/enemies/trees etc don't block my view. Playing Origins in third person only would be far too tedious for me, I'd never manage to finish it.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish Bioware would just solve all these silly debates by releasing one or two screenshots of the PC version zoomed out or in the tactical view. We could move on to criticizing other stuff, like the use of VA in modern RPG's.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This thread doesn't move on. It just adds new things.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    This thread doesn't move on. It just adds new things.

It's a Threadamari.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It sounds like keeping the tactical view would have caused innumerable problems relating to both graphics, world design and gameplay.

I, for one, am willing to give it up rathter than look down on an ugly, poorly controlled game.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It sounds like keeping the tactical view would have caused innumerable problems relating to both graphics, world design and gameplay.

I, for one, am willing to give it up rathter than look down on an ugly, poorly controlled game.

It is only poorly controlled if you refuse to use a mouse as god intended and somehow feel the need to have pretty ceilings.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I still think Icewind Dale and BG2 have numerous areas that look far better than DA ever has and easily better than what I've seen of DA2. DA2 frankly looks less impressive than DA. This excuse feels like a gigantic load of bollocks.

Yes, I will stick to this statement.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »

I still think Icewind Dale and BG2 have numerous areas that look far better than DA ever has and easily better than what I've seen of DA2. DA2 frankly looks less impressive than DA. This excuse feels like a gigantic load of bollocks.

Yes, I will stick to this statement.

I can't really think of anything in BG2 that compares to Ostragar, I am not far is DAO yet but it looks far more impressive than anything.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You could actually fight more than a few enemies at a time in BG2.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    You could actually fight more than a few enemies at a time in BG2.

How big was that fight at the beginning of ToB? I think some of the Denerim/Deep roads fights might have had more. Like that one with a dozen melee guys and 2 platforms with half a dozen archers each

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, some of the fights in DAO were pretty big. They just didn't do it often.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The deep roads in the Trenches and the ambush in Denerim (you know the one) are two of the bigger fights.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I remember going to Denerim around level 5 or 6 and having a ball of a time.

Seriously, there's like an army of bandits at every corner. You have to wonder where these guys are coming from at some point.

finnith on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It is only poorly controlled if you refuse to use a mouse as god intended and somehow feel the need to have pretty ceilings.

I didn't mean the tactical view would be poorly controlled, just that it sounds like the control scheme, etc became more complicated when trying to implement the tactical view.

Anways, if this keeps I'm just going to cancel my preorder so I feel cool again.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe they should just put Dragon Age on the Unreal 3 engine (the same engine that Mass Effect is on).

I mean, Unreal 3 isn't a perfect engine, in fact, it has tons of idiosyncrasies which drive me crazy, such as the delayed texture loading. But at least once everything has loaded in it looks pretty.

And with 2 games already on that game engine, they've got the experience with it. And Batman Arkham Asylum (another Unreal 3 game) has taught us that melee combat is quite doable with that system.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't think I can take any more plasticky hair. It'd be nice to have some actual moving hair for a change.

finnith on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    I don't think I can take any more plasticky hair. It'd be nice to have some actual moving hair for a change.

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvs97b5k8E

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Maybe they should just put Dragon Age on the Unreal 3 engine (the same engine that Mass Effect is on).

Might as well put laser guns and starships in the game as well. I mean let's just put everything from ME in the game. At least we can avoid lock picking with Omnigel.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    finnith wrote: »

Theres a reason why very few games pull this off, or really ever even come close to pulling off a few realistically behaving strands. Even games where the main character is a female with long wavy hair and pretty much half the budget goes into making it (Enslaved, etc) it still comes off as polygony. The technology just isnt quite there yet.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh for crying out loud...

Over-exaggerate much? And just don't buy the game, Aegeri, if you're that upset they changed the camera a bit and gave the main character a voice.

Dashui on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I just looked up at my ceiling and holy poo poo! It's drat boring. One sec, I'm going out into the breeze way to check out it's ceiling.

Yep, it's pretty boring looking too. I'm trying to think of the last time I looked at the ceiling in a video game and thought, "Huh, that's pretty drab, I wish the developers would make it look nicer!"

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Half-Life 2 has a pretty awesome skybox.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You end up looking at the ground in most third person games simply because that is where the enemies are. You rarely look up at the ceiling for the same reason you rarely look up at the ceiling in real life.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I regularly check my ceiling for Drop Bears.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Oh for crying out loud...

Over-exaggerate much? And just don't buy the game, Aegeri, if you're that upset they changed the camera a bit and gave the main character a voice.

Yeah, because the tactical combat of the first game wasn't anything I liked at all. Actually I was hoping a sequel would move to be more like BG2 in this aspect on PC. Not less. But it's becoming pretty obvious none of that actually good aspects of DA are being carried into its sequel. But at least the game will encourage us to look at the ceiling. I guess that's a good thing if you like that.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ceiling based game play is going to take the world by storm.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit nor want you to be focusing on the sky boxes. You're being ridiculous. It's about the scenery that's around you, not what's directly above you. Besides, that's not really the reason why they changed it, but I guess nerd raging is all the... rage these days. 8-)

Dashui on