As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX Out Now! Ghost ridin' the train! 10/10 at IGN!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not up yet. Just a little longer...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And I just got my 800 points back from that "spend $30" promo that the Marketplace was running in October ... perfect timing. I'm at 70 percent downloaded on the trial, and I fully expect to buy as soon as I'm done with the first play.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm hoping to get my bonus points...so I can buy this.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OK, I couldn't resist. Only played about an hour or so since I've got a lot to do, but...

THIS IS THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME.

The new ghost chain feature is great fun and removes a lot of the element of chance that the previous game had, making the game more about skill.

Beginners are well served with the bullet time feature (slow down effect if you're about to die) and the scare bombs. Experts are well served with the new difficulty feature (you can select Expert mode which reduces your lives & bombs, but starts the game out at a higher speed).

The current game speed and your remaining power pellet charge are both displayed on screen now - a very welcome improvement.

More courses & a lot more modes (each map has all modes unlike the first game where stuff like time limit was locked based on the course). Like Geometry Wars 2, you unlock new modes just by playing (thus getting you to try everything out at least once).

More leaderboards, including a Total Score leaderboard.

Different skins to customize your playing experience.

Better UI (including a quick restart in the pause menu).

In short, buy this now.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    I'm surprised. I was turned off by the Ghost Trains because it felt like there was only "one" way to get big points, where in the original, you score was dependent on Ghosts, Dots and Fruit, all surprisingly evenly.

Cantido on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    And I just got my 800 points back from that "spend $30" promo that the Marketplace was running in October ... perfect timing. I'm at 70 percent downloaded on the trial, and I fully expect to buy as soon as I'm done with the first play.

log in to xbox.com and check my points..... NO GOD THE HUMANITY.....WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

points aren't there yet for me. :(

guess I need to make a trip at lunch to pick up a card.

After seeing the Rainbow post I think I need this today.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited November 2010
    Surprisingly, it plays rather different from the original CE. I'm somewhere between Cantido and RainbowDespair; I was initially a little turned off by the ghost chaining—with practice, the game will seem to come a lot less about reflexes and more about memorization, as in knowing which lines to take—but the game is still fantastically great, and in terms of sheer content and customization it's probably got 5 times as much content as the original CE. Multiple BGM tracks is probably my favorite part of the game, though, honestly; as much as I liked the original CE theme, some of my favorite shmups and intense games like this get tons of replay because of being able to change music.

For anyone who was curious, the short time trials are a lot of what made an appearance in the iPhone version of Pac-Man CE; they're a little goofy and gimmicky (eat 8 apples in 1 minute, etc.) but they make nice diversions from when you might get burned out from the traditional championship mode.

But yeah, this is actually a fair bit different from the first CE. To Truck-a-saurus's point at the top of the page; this isn't quite like a Geometry Wars 1 & 2 scenario, where the sequel completely overwrites the original. The first game seemed to have more of a focus on eating dots and fruit, whereas this one (at least at first blush) appears to be heavily weighed to ridin' the ghost train.

Goddamn, is this a good game, though. Any shmup fans would be fools for passing this up, and even people who don't normally like that kind of game might really like the Pac-Man reinventions. I'm still trying to figure out the ghost train—can "loose" ghosts get sucked into the train?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited November 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm surprised. I was turned off by the Ghost Trains because it felt like there was only "one" way to get big points, where in the original, you score was dependent on Ghosts, Dots and Fruit, all surprisingly evenly.

Actually, in the original, fruits were the best way to get points in most of the maps, followed by ghosts. Dots didn't do a whole lot for you.

I did notice that I was getting more than 50 points per dot after staying alive for a while in DX so it looks like they upped the limit there (50 was the most you could get before). Not sure what the new limit is yet; I'll have to pay closer attention next time I play.

Oh and I agree that DX doesn't completely replace the original since the gameplay styles are a bit different. From the little time I've spent with DX, it looks like strategy & planning are more important than they were in the original, whereas reflexes are less important (though still important).

RainbowDespair on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Actually, in the original, fruits were the best way to get points in most of the maps, followed by ghosts. Dots didn't do a whole lot for you.

No, dots are. Dot score increases as you stay alive up to 50 pts in CE so they rack up MUCH mopre points then the fruit and ghosts.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »

No, dots are. Dot score increases as you stay alive up to 50 pts in CE so they rack up MUCH mopre points then the fruit and ghosts.

And the fruit goes up to 7200 points a pop. Many of the maps begin with several short waves so if you can make the waves loop back to the beginning (ideally twice, although this is very difficult to do), you can wrack up crazy point totals just from fruit in just a few seconds.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010

And the fruit goes up to 7200 points a pop. Many of the maps begin with several short waves so if you can make the waves loop back to the beginning (ideally twice, although this is very difficult to do), you can wrack up crazy point totals just from fruit in just a few seconds.

True, but if you keep your dot score high it'll always eclipse the fruit score.

If you die a lot, then yes, fruit is better.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    I beg to differ, but it's kind of a moot point anyway since they're kind of one and the same since if you do well at eating pills, you'll get a lot more fruit than you would otherwise.

Writing a review of Championship Edition DX now. I'll post the link when it's up.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    I beg to differ

I'm basing it off a report someone did that I SWEAR I read on Kotaku but I can't find it now for the life of me. They did all the math and what not. It was an interesting read but it was easily a year ago that I read it.

I'll keep looking.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    I beg to differ

I'm basing it off a report someone did that I SWEAR I read on Kotaku but I can't find it now for the life of me. They did all the math and what not. It was an interesting read but it was easily a year ago that I read it.

I'll keep looking.

Given RainbowDespair's resume (see OP), I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. :P

I spent more time with the game this morning, and I take back what I said about the time trials; they're not just extra fluff, but instead they're actually secret training missions to get you to learn each board's individual wave spawns and patterns. I played through all 9 or 10 short time trials for the Championship II board, and it's pretty apparent that they're targeted practice sessions to get you to find the absolute best lines for each section. Then the total time trial gives you the entire round of spawns to work with, and then the main Score Attack mode lets you rip it out in full. All of the "extra" modes plug back into the 5-minute score attack; the end result is a lot like the incredible genius of Geometry Wars 2, where the other modes are fun on their own but also feel like individual skill drills to whip you into shape for the Big Game (either Deadline or Sequence, depending on how you like to roll).

And I'm also a lot more on board (sorry) with the whole ghost train system. In the original Pac-Man CE, I rarely went out of my way to eat ghosts because I wanted to focus more on dots and fruit, but with DX, plowing through a massive chain of ghosts becomes your reward for successfully riding the right line through the preceding wave of board spawns.

It all ends up feel a lot more methodical and practiced-skill based than the original Pac-Man CE, which is pretty awesome. I might still prefer the original if I'm feeling more reflex-y, but DX feels less like Geometry Wars and more like Ikaruga, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: I motion for thread title to be changed to "Ghost ridin' the train"

Lunker on
    edited November 2010
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/16/namco-generations-series-includes-galaga-legions-dx-aero-cros/
    This week's Pac-Man Championship Edition DX isn't just the second game in the Pac-Man CE series -- it's the first game in Namco Bandai's new "Namco Generations" series. Buying any game in the series, in Japan at least, will provide access to an online newsletter, visible from inside the game.

In announcing the existence of its new PS3/Xbox 360 retro-remake series, Namco went ahead and announced its next two offerings: Aero Cross and a sequel to Galaga Legions. This is the first mention of Galaga Legions DX, and the first official confirmation of Aero Cross, which has shown up in ratings previously. Its status as a Namco Generations game strongly suggests it's a Pac-Man CE-style update of the arcade game Metro-Cross.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    Goddammit, this reminds me I never beat Galaga Legions. And I've shred me some shumps over the years! Very sick game. No way to play but Vintage mode.

I'm slightly dissapointed that the Ghost trains dominate the points, and eating the ghost train while trying to turn a corner has gotten me killed more than once, but this is still a must have.

Cantido on
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is it up on PSN yet??

Sangheili91 on
    edited November 2010
    Is it up on PSN yet??

They update the PSN on Tuesday and it didn't go up yesterday so chances are that you'll have to wait until next week.

RainbowDespair on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this game is ridiculously fun.

Bit bummed that none of my friends have bought it yet, though.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited November 2010
    My new Gamertag is Zeboyd Games. Feel free to add me if you want to do some leaderboard competing.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    I was wondering why I didn't see your scores on my list yet. :) Anyone else who'd like some leaderboard chasing, send me an add (GT is Lunkermesh).

Lunker on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, adding both of you next time I boot up the 'box (though I don't expect to beat you, RD. =P)

If anyone wants to add me, my tag is Omar Ravenhurst. So far I'm rocking C rankings in most modes.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've added all three of you. My Gamertag is Billmaan, if anyone wants to add me. I'm not a super-pro, but I should be able to put up some pretty decent resistance.

edit: Oh fun, I broke the game somehow. At the very end of a 10 minute Dungeon run, a cherry spawned on the right side of the screen (instead of a crown) and the wrong set of dots appeared. There were dots inside the walls (or maybe the game wasn't displaying the walls correctly; time ran out before I could find out).

Billmaan on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

Oh shit I thought I wouldn't be able to buy this until Friday

Just checked my account and I THOUGHT WRONG MOTHERFUCKERS, 815 POINTS I AM DOWNLOADING THIS SHIT RIGHT NOW

But fuck I am currently also playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Sands of Time HD

Truly this is the best week ever

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    Damn, this is the best game I've ever owned. I'm sure I'll tire of it quick because omg time trials but I loves me some pacri-monster.

I do see how it's kind of sad that it's all about the ghost chains now tho.

edit: Also, I will never leave beginner mode, Ghost Bullet Time is just WAY too much fun and holy crap I would drop serious loot for more skins dlc. But that pixel one is impossible to play for me for some reason.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    In order to really capitalize on the ghost train successfully, though, you have to ride the right lines of dots and fruit and know what waves are coming up; in that light, it's really not so chain-heavy, because getting the train means you worked through the waves first. I felt the same way at first, but it actually feels really balanced.

Also, when the clock is running down and you've made your way to the crowns (or whatever the "final" fruit pickup is), you'll likely be at game speed 50, so switching gears to time trial mode and gunning for fruit as fast as possible might be the best way to sneak in those big points right at the buzzer.

Lunker on
    edited November 2010
    The BEST place to do the dot/ghost chains is Highway, damn that level is fun.

Magic Pink on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damn, this is the best game I've ever owned. I'm sure I'll tire of it quick because omg time trials but I loves me some pacri-monster.

I do see how it's kind of sad that it's all about the ghost chains now tho.

edit: Also, I will never leave beginner mode, Ghost Bullet Time is just WAY too much fun and holy crap I would drop serious loot for more skins dlc. But that pixel one is impossible to play for me for some reason.

I'd picked this up and would also drop some loot for just 1 skin. I need one really clean high contrast skin. I'm having the same issue I do with Geometry wars is that the graphics get so flashy and insane that my eyes lose track of what is going on screen. For this pac-man though when you get into the super speed is when it gets me.

even though I'm not great I think I prefer starting out on Expert just due to the speed boost. Wish there were an option to put a cap/limiter on speed. Once it gets up 45+ I'm missing turns and just all over the place

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, a few of those skins are REALLY hard to keep track of. The basic and the 3-D I think are easiest, the neon is head-explodey but oh-so-pretty.

Here's something to think about: With all the skins they included, why isn't there a Ms. Pac-Man option? Maybe they're making her own championship edition? <3

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    A few things I noticed.

Pellet point cap is at 100 now, not 50. Fruit & ghost eating values appear to be the same as before.

Using a bomb drops your pellet point level in half, in addition to a small speed penalty. Still better than getting eaten (and in some cases, you might want to use a bomb just to clear a path to save time).

The ghost train has a maximum limit of ghosts that it can reach and if you reach the limit, then ghosts will just be flung off the screen instead of adding. This makes the Ghost Combo modes more interesting (you can't just build up an immense train for the whole time and then eat it at the last minute).

Free range ghosts can be added to the ghost train. If they're looking at you and nearby, they go into anger mode for a short period of time. If they touch the train at this point, they'll join it and a new ghost will appear in the middle trap box.

Free range ghosts don't seem to use traditional Pac-Man ghost AI as far as I can see. I believe they all have the same AI regardless of color (traditionally, the 4 colors each had their own AI style).

Ghosts don't join the train if you're under the influence of a power pellet so in some cases, you might actually want to let your power meter expire just to start building the train up again.

Your eating speed increases when you eat ghosts in a chain rather than separately.

Thanks to the ghost trains, ghosts will account for most of your points in most courses & game modes. But on the other hand, eating pellets & fruit quickly lets you get more ghosts so it's not as unbalanced as it sounds. Plus, if you're on an oldschool CE player who likes to focus on pellets & fruit, there's always the time trial modes.

I still haven't tried the last couple of courses (been having too much fun replaying the earlier ones for higher scores), but so far, the courses all seem to be well designed and have a good amount of variety.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010

Using a bomb drops your pellet point level in half, in addition to a small speed penalty. Still better than getting eaten (and in some cases, you might want to use a bomb just to clear a path to save time).

I hate this so much I could just scream.

The ghost train has a maximum limit of ghosts that it can reach and if you reach the limit, then ghosts will just be flung off the screen instead of adding. This makes the Ghost Combo modes more interesting (you can't just build up an immense train for the whole time and then eat it at the last minute).

But, you can save the train till you get a dot configuration with another, stationary ghost train and make them all count!

Free range ghosts can be added to the ghost train. If they're looking at you and nearby, they go into anger mode for a short period of time. If they touch the train at this point, they'll join it and a new ghost will appear in the middle trap box.

I don't think that's quite right. I don't get a ghoct in the trap box until I eat a power pellet for the first time.

Free range ghosts don't seem to use traditional Pac-Man ghost AI as far as I can see. I believe they all have the same AI regardless of color (traditionally, the 4 colors each had their own AI style).

Free range ghosts just follow your exact trail, that's it.

Thanks to the ghost trains, ghosts will account for most of your points in most courses & game modes. But on the other hand, eating pellets & fruit quickly lets you get more ghosts so it's not as unbalanced as it sounds. Plus, if you're on an oldschool CE player who likes to focus on pellets & fruit, there's always the time trial modes.

Yeah, my ghost score bar is easily four to five tiomes higher then dots and fruit now.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010

But, you can save the train till you get a dot configuration with another, stationary ghost train and make them all count!

Exactly.

I don't think that's quite right. I don't get a ghoct in the trap box until I eat a power pellet for the first time.

I think the number of free range ghosts out a time is based on how many waves you've done and the course/mode. Some modes start with all 4, but in other modes, it slowly builds up to 4.

No, the ghost train just follows your exact trail, unless you've died or used a bomb recently in which case, they just try to get to you. The free range ghosts behavior seems mostly random. If anything, it almost seems like the free range ghosts are trying to avoid you.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010

[/QUOTE]

No, the ghost train just follows your exact trail, unless you've died or used a bomb recently in which case, they just try to get to you. The free range ghosts behavior seems mostly random. If anything, it almost seems like the free range ghosts are trying to avoid you.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I misintepreted what you meant by free range. Free range to me is the green sleeping ones that jump in the ghost train. Otherwise I call them the main ghosts.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah,if they're close to you, they'll follow your trail. If not, they'll take the most direct route to you, so you have to watch carefully after you bomb them.

Cantido on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, the ghost train just follows your exact trail, unless you've died or used a bomb recently in which case, they just try to get to you. The free range ghosts behavior seems mostly random. If anything, it almost seems like the free range ghosts are trying to avoid you.
    The train always takes the most direct route, whether you've died/bombed recently or not. On occasion they'll take "shortcuts" to catch up to you. (This actually becomes relevant in some of the "Half" time trials, where you need to make sure you don't get too far ahead of the train.)

Billmaan on
    edited November 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    The train always takes the most direct route, whether you've died/bombed recently or not. On occasion they'll take "shortcuts" to catch up to you. (This actually becomes relevant in some of the "Half" time trials, where you need to make sure you don't get too far ahead of the train.)

Ah, I haven't done the Half time trials yet, so I didn't know.

RainbowDespair on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm on Live as Wordherder, in case anyone wants someone they can easily beat on the leaderboards.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does Beginner or Normal Mode not allow for uploading scores to the Leaderboards? Like what is the "default" Pac Man CE experience here to play to compare.

Also I didn't notice but saw it mentioned above, but the "bullet time" shit is gone on Normal or Expert? I really like that feature.

Allforce on
    edited November 2010
    I've been using the bullet time stuff liberally and I'm only playing Expert on every mode that gives the option.

And I'm pretty sure all difficulties upload scores. You can get higher scores on the higher difficulties though since you start out with a higher speed.

RainbowDespair on