As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Viewing PA in a mobile(iPhone)-only setting

dplafolldplafoll Registered User new member
So I'm a long-time PA reader and rare forum reader and new forum user, so I apologize if this topic has been addressed previously or if this thread is misplaced in the forums. I am in a living situation where I do not have broadband internet at home(currently unemployed also), my primary access is through my iPhone, and the forum search doesn't seem to work in Safari(box opens then disappears when you type in it).

I keep up with the site normally through an RSS reader(which still requires viewing the newspost as a website), but I decided to go back and re-read the archives(again) for the hell of it for the first time using my phone. My question is if there is a better way to read the archives with a mobile browser. My specific issue is when I try to use the navigation buttons on both the old and new sites. They're very small and require the extra step of zooming in and clicking just the right one. To be honest it's a pain to try to navigate, because it's either zooming in every time or manually editing the URL every time. I might sound a bit lazy("it's just some zooming, cry more") but I am wondering if there is or will be a more mobile-friendly version of the site with big buttons and a more compact layout. A lot of sites seem to be adding a mobile version, usually one that switches to it automatically based on your being on a device, and I was hoping it'd be coming to one of the sites that matters most to me.

Also the next comic button is borked from the first comic on old and new sites. =)

dplafoll on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does the iPhone browser support user scripts? If so, you could change the style on the div used for tiny things (the class is "smallfont") to make the font bigger.

MKR on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd like to make a mobile optimized site, but there isn't a huge demand for it. I'll add this to my wishlist, but I'm warning you that it is a long wishlist :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd like to make a mobile optimized site, but there isn't a huge demand for it. I'll add this to my wishlist, but I'm warning you that it is a long wishlist :wink:

I'd put it in the "nice to have" list. I can personally get by on my phone, but an optimized site would be great. That of course means sifting through the forums code some more, which I would not wish on anyone.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The two things that really don't work for the iPhone are drop down menus and text sizing.

Search still works, but you can't use drop down menu, you need to hold search and you will get the option to open the search menu in a new page, not pretty, but it works.

Blake T on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can also use Google. If you include the term site:forums.penny-arcade.com it'll only search that site.

EDIT: Alpha, I remember requesting a mobile site a while ago and you saying a similar thing :) There used to be one before the 10-year design, it was just a blank yellow page with the comic and the newspost together. No ads, though (which is why, I'm assuming, there's no rush on a new one).

Scott has an iPhone app for PvP, maybe PA could do something similar?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    GoatboyTimGoatboyTim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

This qualifies for idea of the century. I would LOVE a PA-App... A Papp if you will

GoatboyTim on
    Grokka Lownote in Council of Thieves: OOC IC
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Put me down as another who would be really interested in having a better way to browse the forums from an iPhone

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, something like http://www.secondapps.com/neogaf/ or the CAG mobile site would make it much easier to read on a mobile device

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, something like http://www.secondapps.com/neogaf/ or the CAG mobile site would make it much easier to read on a mobile device

The explanation that's come up before when asking for a mobile version of the forums is that the PA forum has a ton of crazy extensions added that would make it a real hassle to work with (Awesome Posts, spoilers, YouTube embedding, etc.). The boards are already super hard to upgrade when vB releases a new version because of this and it would just make it harder. Of course, I'm not an admin (or a forum developer) so I wouldn't take my word on it, but that's the reasoning I remember previously.

Although... vB can spit out an archive version that's text-only, but on PA it appears to be disabled - you could enable it and have a redirect from forums.penny-arcade.com/mobile (or m.forums.penny-arcade.com, or whatever) to http://forums.penny-arcade.com/archive/ if you wanted, but I assume that Alpha has a damn good reason for the archive not being accessible. It's also read-only.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    You can also use Google. If you include the term site:forums.penny-arcade.com it'll only search that site.

I actually put together a custom google penny arcade forums search.

It doesn't do everything the forum search engine can do but I've built in some filters for searching by subforum (become available after initial query). Unfortunately that's the max number of filters allowed so I can't do anything fancier with it but you can still use all the advanced search operators you can normally use (indeed, the filters are just intitle: searches).

Also it can do searched that are 3 characters or less and doesn't have a timer limit, which is nice.

It's a terrible URL so if it's useful I might host it on a domain. Would mean I could maybe host a few CSEs on the same page and try to tweak them for different search types eg post author etc.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Fred Savage Power GloveFred Savage Power Glove Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I actually put together a custom google penny arcade forums search.

It doesn't do everything the forum search engine can do but I've built in some filters for searching by subforum (become available after initial query). Unfortunately that's the max number of filters allowed so I can't do anything fancier with it but you can still use all the advanced search operators you can normally use (indeed, the filters are just intitle: searches).

Also it can do searched that are 3 characters or less and doesn't have a timer limit, which is nice.

It's a terrible URL so if it's useful I might host it on a domain. Would mean I could maybe host a few CSEs on the same page and try to tweak them for different search types eg post author etc.

Holy shit

You're awesome.

Fred Savage Power Glove on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010

To be fair, that might be somewhat chicken-and-egg. Reading the forums (or even the site generally) is rather difficult on mobiles, so few people bother with it.

The forums would of course be the most difficult thing to adapt to mobiles, but I would be happy just to have some kind of PA iPhone app, as others have mentioned.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »

To be fair, that might be somewhat chicken-and-egg. Reading the forums (or even the site generally) is rather difficult on mobiles, so few people bother with it.

The forums would of course be the most difficult thing to adapt to mobiles, but I would be happy just to have some kind of PA iPhone app, as others have mentioned.

;) I know. I'll see what I can do, but I've already got a pretty full plate for the next few months.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GoatboyTim wrote: »

This qualifies for idea of the century. I would LOVE a PA-App... A Papp if you will

Pet peeve of mine, but I find it really annoying when websites make apps specific to a particular phone when there's no reason they can't just make their website more mobile-accessible.

Having said that I've never had any trouble using the forums on my phone.

japan on