As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

999[DS] / VLR / ZE3 [3DS/PSV]: Wassup. You have ...Somnium Files? Siggyyy. Phidooo.

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited September 2019 in Games and Technology
Or something like that.

615TUJ3mI1L.jpg

You play as one of nine people trapped in assorted evil rooms in a cruise liner, and have to solve sadistic puzzles to survive.

I wasn't interested until I played the demo, which is something alright.

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/pages/demo
“We’ve decided to call 999 an ‘Adventure’ game,” say Ben Bateman, Localization Editor, Aksys Games, “but I don’t really feel that’s entirely accurate. 999 is a game that simulates life, or at least it would if your life was about being trapped on a sinking ship and forced to complete a series of incomprehensible puzzles before your practically inevitable death. It is about relationships, and how they will ultimately kill you. There is also some blood, and an ax, so if you’ve always wanted some blood and an ax in your life, there you go. But what really brings 999 to life are the people who inhabit it. You will learn to care for them; to feel as though you are there and they are your friends, and then they will die because you made the wrong choices. Just like in real life.”

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors Key Features

Nine Hours

You have only 9 hours before Junpei and his 8 fellow abductees drown. Numerology, music composition and logic puzzles are just a few of the 32+ obstacles that stand in the way of their freedom. You’ll have to use everything in your environment to get out!

Nine Persons

Solve the mysteries that cloud your companions’ pasts, and unveil a disturbing future. Help ever one escape, but beware! A wrong decision or a careless mistake might put their lives in jeopardy. Experience 6 endings that are determined by the way you play!

Nine Doors

Each hostage is cursed with a digital watch that displays their unique number. These numbers are keys to unlocking the 9 doors. Explore your surroundings for clues to unlock the next door by picking up and examining objects you find in each room. Create new tools by combining them to get out of dangerous situations and solve deadly puzzles.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm interested, but...

Do people really say "persons"? Doesn't everyone just say "people"?

I'm not saying it's wrong. It just looks strange to me.

Rex Dart on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I'm interested, but...

"Persons" is pretty common in legal and formal writing, although it is becoming less so. Originally, the "rule" was that "people" was used as a mass noun and "persons" was used for a countable number of individuals. However, as with all of these so-called "rules," there were always exceptions. "Persons" is certainly less likely to be used in most contexts today than it was 200-300 years ago.

I am also very excited about this game. Is the demo available on the Nintendo shop thingy on the Wii?

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not sure, but you can play the demo right from the webpage. It's a flash program.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm interested, but...

More correct than people actually. People has just replaced it because people have used it out of its proper place to the point its become a part of the english language in a different form. Much like "stupider" isn't/shouldn't be a word, it was used to the point where it is now.

Anyways, this game looks really interesting, but its one I think Im gonna have to wait a while on myself.

Zerokku on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    I'm interested, but...

More correct than people actually. People has just replaced it because people have used it out of its proper place to the point its become a part of the english language in a different form. Much like "stupider" isn't/shouldn't be a word, it was used to the point where it is now.

Anyways, this game looks really interesting, but its one I think Im gonna have to wait a while on myself.

This isn't true. "Person" and "people" have different roots. The comparison you offer to "stupider" is not appropriate at all...

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sooo...when does this come out?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yaaaaaay grammar.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So... this sounds like one of those "escape the room" games?

Can't run the demo right now, I'll have to check that out later. I've always liked the flash games in that style, at least the ones that were imaginative without turning into mindless pixelhunting or ridiculous "Use the paperclip on the lollipop to make the key to the key to the drawer with the key" leaps of logic.

Hevach on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hevach wrote: »
    So... this sounds like one of those "escape the room" games?

Can't run the demo right now, I'll have to check that out later. I've always liked the flash games in that style, at least the ones that were imaginative without turning into mindless pixelhunting or ridiculous "Use the paperclip on the lollipop to make the key to the key to the drawer with the key" leaps of logic.

Yeah, I imagine it's a series of escape the room games interspersed with story...perhaps there will be 9 of them. :P

The demo was imaginative enough with a decent couple of puzzles. I didn't notice any pixel hunts, sometimes you do have to make sure you click everything, like in the demo, the bottom bunk in the corner of one screen which then lets you look under the pillow.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    'Next thing he knows, the girl is on top of him.

Junpei couldn't breath...'

Dude, if this is some strange hentai shit...

Casually Hardcore on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was playing the demo last night and, if the actual game does anything like the demo where it explains over and over and over how to adjust the combination I would stop playing in no time.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    a game I am perhaps too dumb to play

edit - also what napp said

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, the second "puzzle" is way too easy compared to the first (and that's only because of how click happy you have to be).

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    can someone just explain the triangles and squares to me so I can never think about this game again?

no, that's a joke but seriously just tell me how to do it.

Variable on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    can someone just explain the triangles and squares to me so I can never think about this game again?

You need to get two sets of that paper. One is in the picture frame, the other is under the pillow of the lower right bunk. When you've got both, you'll see an arrow going across and turning colors.

Basically, you want the first two on one (red) and the last two on the other (also red). The reverse for blue. Those are your numbers.

If you haven't found the decoder, it's in the stove (if I remember right).

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

You need to get two sets of that paper. One is in the picture frame, the other is under the pillow of the lower right bunk. When you've got both, you'll see an arrow going across and turning colors.

Basically, you want the first two on one (red) and the last two on the other (also red). The reverse for blue. Those are your numbers.

If you haven't found the decoder, it's in the stove (if I remember right).

oh okay, the last thing there is what I was missing.

I was trying to translate shapes to numbers.

thanks a lot

Variable on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I was playing the demo last night and, if the actual game does anything like the demo where it explains over and over and over how to adjust the combination I would stop playing in no time.

God this so many times.
    The last puzzle could've been a LOT better if they hadn't given me the hint on the 5. I thought it was just a label; I probably would've been banging my head against a wall for a while before figuring out what root I wanted.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited September 2010
    Well it is the very start of the game, I'd hope they'd give some hints before it gets really hard later.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well it is the very start of the game, I'd hope they'd give some hints before it gets really hard later.

"Click the numbers to adjust the combination" isn't a hint. Once I am told that once, I don't need to read a 4 line explanation every single time I go into the combination screen.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited September 2010
    I was referring to Dac's spoiler.

UncleSporky on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll have to try the demo, but I heard the gameplay isn't really all that good. And actually I'm just angry that we're getting this instead of that No Name Game that looks really freaking cool.

Gilder on
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The characters in the demo really fell flat for me. Do we really need to see the "girl falls on guy by accident LOL awkward" scene again? I hope they get better.

Still, I'll probably get it. Saw on a boat is a decent premise and I like the puzzle gameplay well enough.

Squidget0 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So hey, it's out now.

oLQsM.jpg

No, of course it's not in stores, that would give people a chance to buy this and support the [strike]nonexistent[/strike] budding visual novel industry in the US.

For what it's worth:

* Destructoid -- 10/10
    * Nintendo Power -- 9/10

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They is some good scores.

If I ever see this game, I'll buy it. I'm never going to, am I? Maybe I should Amazon it.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    Probably not. GameStop was like 'uh, whatsit? It's out and no one has it.'

More likely, give it an additional week.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ugh, forgot to pre-order it for the watch.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited November 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Probably not. GameStop was like 'uh, whatsit? It's out and no one has it.'

More likely, give it an additional week.

Couple this with the fact that I live in Australia. No chance of spotting it in the wild, I'd wager.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well seeing as it currently has no planned PAL release.....

Gilder on
    edited November 2010
    It's an M-rated DS game, would Australia even let it be released?

Also a sign of pending financial disaster, but I hope it sells. According to D-toid, the M rating stems from some very gory content.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's an M-rated DS game, would Australia even let it be released?

Also a sign of pending financial disaster, but I hope it sells. According to D-toid, the M rating stems from some very gory content.
    From the demo and the site, this game is giving me a serious Secret Game: Killer Bee vibe.

And that is a good thing.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited November 2010
    Well, you bastards have done it to me again. I just bought it on Play Asia for $40. Not too bad. I hope it's good. It looks pretty cool.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    Hey, at least you're able to get a copy of it. :P You may very well get it before any of us do.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Searching on GameStop.com tells me "no inventory within 100 mile radius."

Fine, I guess Amazon gets my money then. I can wait for delivery.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited November 2010
    I ordered it, the Destructoid review is really intriguing.

UncleSporky on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Whoa, this jumped to the top of my list. Why did I never hear of this before now?

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oLQsM.jpg

Snake? Snake?!

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

joshofalltrades on
    edited November 2010
    Also, trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MYaRzB9ujY&feature=player_embedded

The music's by Shinji Hosoe, who some might know for his work on Beatmania IIDX.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oLQsM.jpg

Snake? Snake?!

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

How did I know... How did I fucking know someone would make that joke?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I did the world a favor and got it out of the way on page 2

joshofalltrades on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Consider my interest piqued.

Too many good DS games these days.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.