As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm getting a "this site looks suspicious" warning message from Guild Fans.

reVerse on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    I'm getting a "this site looks suspicious" warning message from Guild Fans.

:?:

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really can't wait to see how the stealth mechanic works, and more importantly, how counters to it work. At PAX I distinctly remember seeing skills on the ranger and/or ranger's pet that looked like they would be counters to stealth...

Jenosavel on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As long as stealth doesn't lead into an almost impossible stunlock.. I don't mind all that much. I would also be pleased if Assassins can focus on stealth OR shadowstepping and be effective either way.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would just like to say that my level of excitement for the old republic has literally dropped to zero after finding out about GW2

SJ on
  • Saint_DipsetSaint_Dipset Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EF:I do think however that we’ve got a good handle about how to keep stealth in check. Things like limiting stealth by time, not having professions that destroy everyone when attacking out of stealth, having a lot of ground targeted attacks, and stealth detection skills can keep professions who use stealth in balance with everyone else.

It sounds like they're avoiding going the route that WoW took, that is; making the Rogue a stun-locking Klingon battleship.

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    not gonna lie, the most fun I ever had in WoW was PvP as a rogue

SJ on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Being able to pick and choose your opponents, then preventing them from playing against you will do that, yes.

If they pull it off in the way Flannum describes, I'd be cool with it. Outside of WoW, stealth's a fun mechanic. It sounds promising in Guild Wars; adds a new dimension to PvP fights.

naengwen on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    I would just like to say that my level of excitement for the old republic has literally dropped to zero after finding out about GW2

It tends to have that effect on some people. Here, have some coffee and join us in the corner.

sidhaethe on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »

It tends to have that effect on some people. Here, have some coffee and join us in the corner.

That's my feeling as well.

GW2 is now fueling my excitement for an innovative MMO that actually looks like it belongs in 2011, unlike The Old Republic, which looks like it should have come out in 2007.

And actually GW2 is fueling my excitement for the future of PC gaming in general. Given the stint of re-hashed PC games of the last year or two that haven't broken any new ground, GW2 is a breath of fresh air.

Melkster on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    From this ArenaNet blog post on the development structure of Guild Wars 2: http://www.arena.net/blog/when-its-ready
    Taking all of the factors above into account, there’s just no good answer that we can give to those questions. We know when we’d like to be done and we try to plan as best we can, but the truth of it is that at this point we can’t be certain exactly when Guild Wars 2 is going to ship. To do that we’d have to commit to a date too far in advance and the quality of the game would suffer.

For example, if you know you absolutely have to ship a game by a particular date, you often have to make some very tough decisions. Do you cut content? Do you maybe cut a profession? Or a race? A lot of games have had to make those choices. The thing is, we don’t want to do any of those things and we are in a position where we don’t have to. That’s not a luxury that every developer can afford. In fact, most can’t. The reason we can afford to do this is because NCSoft believes in us as a developer and believes in Guild Wars 2 as a game. One of the major reasons they believe so strongly in us is in large part due to all of our fans. The support that you’ve given Guild Wars in the past and the support that you show for Guild Wars 2 now has been amazing.

Guild Wars 2 has a development cycle luxury that SW:TOR has now denied itself with it's Early Spring 2011 release declaration, more then likely brought upon them by EA's lusting after a WoW revenue level MMO to prop up their efforts in other sectors. Too few games are given this financial opportunity and suffer for it in all genres. I have faith that, when we do get Guild Wars 2, it will live up to almost all if not all expectations I have for it and what others have for it, simply because of what I bolded. That right there is how games should be developed.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010

I love coffee. This sounds like a great plan.

God I wanna play an elementalist so bad. That's what I played when the original GW was released but unfortunately none of my buddies kept playing so I ended up leaving it by the wayside.

SJ on
  • InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    And actually GW2 is fueling my excitement for the future of PC gaming in general. Given the stint of re-hashed PC games of the last year or two that haven't broken any new ground, GW2 is a breath of fresh air.

I had given up on MMOs a long time ago. I tried Everquest, EQ2, WoW, City of Heroes, WAR, *shudder* Matrix Online, and even the original Guild Wars which I wasn't a huge fan of. Not to mention all of the other free trials I've tried and never stuck with.

I have friends that have put hundreds of hours into EQ and WoW and most are burnt out though I hear them talk about playing a few hours here and there of both. When I try to tell them about how awesome GW2 sounds they take a real cynical attitude and don't believe it will be what the makers are advertising.

I would have been sold on the just the "everyone who participates gets rewarded" design, but all the other features (epic bosses from the beginning, dynamic events, karma, customizing gear, no dedicated healer, fast-paced combat, no subscription, etc.) are huge bonuses. I really hope my friends are proved wrong.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
    edited November 2010

I love coffee. This sounds like a great plan.

God I wanna play an elementalist so bad. That's what I played when the original GW was released but unfortunately none of my buddies kept playing so I ended up leaving it by the wayside.

When this goes to release, expect a nice comfy chair by the fire in the PA guild's future Guild House.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010
    All I really want from this game is an agile bow user that doesn't have to rely on a fucking AI controlled pet.

God I hate AI pets.

reVerse on
    edited November 2010
    All I really want from this game is an agile bow user that doesn't have to rely on a fucking AI controlled pet.

God I hate AI pets.

Hence my anticipation of the gun wielding class.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

God I hate AI pets.

Gunslingers are cool in their own way, but I like the silent, more nature-y aspects of a bow. But of course because a bunch of unoriginal idiots work at Arena.net, the nature-y bow using class is tied to a fucking AI pet, and people who want to play a ranged class without one will have to go with the less nature-y gun class. Guns and bows are the exact same thing: they shoot projectiles. Or at least that's what dumbass idiot game developers tend to think.

If assassins get viable bow skills that's good enough for me. Or if they manage to make the AI pets not suck, which I doubt seeing how completely worthless the henchman AI in GW1 is.

reVerse on
    edited November 2010

God I hate AI pets.

Gunslingers are cool in their own way, but I like the silent, more nature-y aspects of a bow. But of course because a bunch of unoriginal idiots work at Arena.net, the nature-y bow using class is tied to a fucking AI pet, and people who want to play a ranged class without one will have to go with the less nature-y gun class. Guns and bows are the exact same thing: they shoot projectiles. Or at least that's what dumbass idiot game developers tend to think.

If assassins get viable bow skills that's good enough for me. Or if they manage to make the AI pets not suck, which I doubt seeing how completely worthless the henchman AI in GW1 is.

Only time will tell. Might I suggest a silencer on your blunderbuss? For that silent, sorta natural feeling of pelleting some poor sod who never sees you coming.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I, too, will miss the archer-Ranger from GW1. In that regard I will do one of two things. I'll either play an archery-focused Assassin, or more likely, I'll play a Ranger with the pet set up in such a way that it is "balanced" and I can more or less ignore it.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

God I hate AI pets.

To be fair, the pets have controls and their own skills. The controls sound like the controls in GW 1, which worked really well. You can set the pet to attack, attack whatever attacks you, or not attack anything. You can command them to immediately attack what you have targeted - even if you're not actually attacking it, stop attacking and come back, and to stay in one spot.

The only downside it pet skills are controlled by the AI, but you decide what skills they have (they have their own skillbar that expands as they level with you). But, as someone who uses beastmaster builds (in PvE and PvP - an old guild I was in had a mean pet build that we used to take HoH and hold it with), babysitting pet skills is irritating to say the least. At least this time, their skills won't be on your skillbar, and you can basically just ignore the pet, and let it kamikaze as you go about killing things.

-Loki- on
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    From what I played with the pet in the demo, it's essentially just a hero that you can't micro manage skills for. I could find no way to trigger pet skills myself, and there's no positional flagging either, so you're more or less forced to ignore it while fighting. Pet fans will probably find that disappointing, but people who didn't want the pet in the first place don't really have much ground to complain on since you don't even really do anything with it.

Now, this could change before release (and I hope it does). Considering how long the GW1 pets went without any kind of AI upgrades, however, I'm not holding my breath for it.

Jenosavel on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    From this ArenaNet blog post on the development structure of Guild Wars 2: http://www.arena.net/blog/when-its-ready
    Taking all of the factors above into account, there’s just no good answer that we can give to those questions. We know when we’d like to be done and we try to plan as best we can, but the truth of it is that at this point we can’t be certain exactly when Guild Wars 2 is going to ship. To do that we’d have to commit to a date too far in advance and the quality of the game would suffer.

For example, if you know you absolutely have to ship a game by a particular date, you often have to make some very tough decisions. Do you cut content? Do you maybe cut a profession? Or a race? A lot of games have had to make those choices. The thing is, we don’t want to do any of those things and we are in a position where we don’t have to. That’s not a luxury that every developer can afford. In fact, most can’t. The reason we can afford to do this is because NCSoft believes in us as a developer and believes in Guild Wars 2 as a game. One of the major reasons they believe so strongly in us is in large part due to all of our fans. The support that you’ve given Guild Wars in the past and the support that you show for Guild Wars 2 now has been amazing.

Guild Wars 2 has a development cycle luxury that SW:TOR has now denied itself with it's Early Spring 2011 release declaration, more then likely brought upon them by EA's lusting after a WoW revenue level MMO to prop up their efforts in other sectors. Too few games are given this financial opportunity and suffer for it in all genres. I have faith that, when we do get Guild Wars 2, it will live up to almost all if not all expectations I have for it and what others have for it, simply because of what I bolded. That right there is how games should be developed.

Hmmm...

Honestly, I think there are some very serious problems with the whole "When It's Ready" development plan.

Timetables and deadline can be a detriment. They absolutely can. If you're totally inflexible with deadlines, unforseen problems can fuck your project up and result in an unfinished project.

Then again, the structure that deadlines provide are very important. By setting milestones and dates -- with an ultimate targeted release date -- you set yourself up to meet goals on-time.

Oftentimes, when a bad game is released, people say it should have stayed in development longer. But I don't think that's right. The developers should have used the time that they had more effectively. After all, a professor wouldn't tell a student with a shitty test score that he should have taken the test a few months later -- he would have told him to study more with the time he had. It's the same thing with games.

I've always thought of the "It's done when it's done" mantra of game developers as a PR tactic. They do indeed have lots of internal milestones and deadlines, including a projected release date, but they don't want to tell the public, just in case it isn't released when they expect it to be released.

Melkster on
    edited November 2010
    That doesn't mean the design teams don't have dates and deadlines they need to meet, it means that if those things don't end up working they have the time to fix them.

SJ on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guarantee they have deadlines and milestones to meet with NcSoft, and that NcSoft have a release date planned for the game. But by not announcing the release date now lets them be flexible on those deadlines and milestones without disappointing fans by 'delaying' the game. It may very well get delayed, we just won't know about it. It's better to just announce the release date when you know you can deliver the goods.

-Loki- on
    edited November 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Honestly, I think there are some very serious problems with the whole "When It's Ready" development plan.

As 3D Realms expertly proved.

reVerse on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NCSoft has a deadline. It just happens to be far enough away that it's not going to please fans to hear it, so they aren't going to tell you what it is. Besides that, deadlines get pushed back constantly. It's fairly pointless to announce the release date of a game more than a year out. The only reason these companies even announce the development of these games so far out is that their marketing departments told them trickling out class reveals and little videos to fans every couple months is a perfect way to get people to feel like part of the development and buy the game when it comes out.

Joshmvii on
    edited November 2010
    I didn't think they didn't have deadlines, of course they have those. But as others have said, not announcing anything leaves them open to be flexible and get it out the door only when it's ready, a luxury that too few developers have. I have no reason to believe it won't be out by the end of 2011, it's already been in development for a few years now. However long that takes depends on how things shape up at ArenaNet.

NCSoft is being patient and will hopefully get very rewarded for that, as a way of demonstrating to other companies that this is the way to go if your going to make an MMO.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited November 2010
    I'd be honestly surprised if it comes out before 2012.

reVerse on
    edited November 2010
    I'd be honestly surprised if it comes out before 2012.

I'd be honestly surprised if it doesn't comes out before the end of 2011.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The "Get it done when it's done" tactic worked for Diablo II. If I remember correctly, a lot of those developers were part of that project. Any person who tells you that D2 was not worth the wait and constant push back of release is full of crap. Blizzard had that model right until WoW, and, I think, still does it well with their other titles.

I don't want a mediocre game to release on time. I want an amazing game to be out period. When it's done. All the way done. And good.

REG Rysk on
    edited November 2010
    Flannum himself began at Blizzard, where he helped work on Warcraft 2, Diablo, and Starcraft.

Maybe you've heard of them?

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Flannum himself began at Blizzard, where he helped work on Warcraft 2, Diablo, and Starcraft.

Maybe you've heard of them?

Random arenas keeps telling me I'm a scrub if I've heard of WoW.

Is that true?

Rend on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Find us a day where Pacifism is in codex arena and we will go 3 Mo/* or */Mo and just annoy everybody to death with 1 sin.

Rend, this will be so. You are not a scrub.

REG Rysk on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My guess is 3rd or 4th q 2011.

Xagar on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought this was coming out in Spring 2011? :(

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited November 2010
    Rend wrote: »

Is that true?

I'm pretty sure that the following offenses render you a scrub, from my experience, in the context of WoW:

1. Using a mouse
    2. Using a keyboard
    3. Selecting a class
    4. Wearing armor
    5. Not wearing enough armor
    6. Casting a spell
    7. Going "stealth" (as a rogue)
    8. Dying. Ever.
    9. Killing another player in the same zone as another player who is of the same faction as you

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    Rend wrote: »

Is that true?

I'm pretty sure that the following offenses render you a scrub, from my experience, in the context of WoW:

1. Using a mouse
    2. Using a keyboard
    3. Selecting a class
    4. Wearing armor
    5. Not wearing enough armor
    6. Casting a spell
    7. Going "stealth" (as a rogue)
    8. Dying. Ever.
    9. Killing another player in the same zone as another player who is of the same faction as you

Rend, I feel like I have seen this before but...where?

REG Rysk on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xagar wrote: »

Yeah, that's my guess as well. Beta starting sometime next spring or summer.

Peccavi on
    edited November 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    Rend, I feel like I have seen this before but...where?

Any given Orgrimmar or Stormwind trade chat?

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Xagar wrote: »

Yeah, that's my guess as well. Beta starting sometime next spring or summer.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.