As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 11-17: Blow it out your data hole

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Graphic Violence
Thunderbolts #150 was a good read, but it has a terrible last panel. I mean, Jeff Parker imitating Mark Millar type thing that just doesn't jive with the whole issue. And the filler in the back is T-Bolts #1.

Other than the last panel, fun done in one story, great art, and it really was a good fight issue despite no John Walker in it (I know, right?):

tb150a.jpg

The T-Bolts with the Avengers Trinity get teleported somewhere funky because of Ghost messing with Man-Thing and Mjolnir, but the nanites can't work, so Juggy, Ghost, and Crossbones make a break for it. Clearly, Cage caught up to Juggernaut

Ghost is also done messing with Tony because Tony showed him his account book, and how he's just a small business now.

Cage found out Crossbones killed the cop last issue, and Steve beats him up and he's off the team. Karla will stay on the team simply because Man-Thing only responds to her.

Basically everyone hugs it out in the end, except for Crossbones.

But poor frog, why'd he have to go splat, sniff....

And Batman Inc. #1, Selina doesn't like manga

bi1c.jpg

and on top of that, while Selina tries to save Mr. Unknown's girlfriend from a water trap, there's a tentacle monster in it too. Mighty Lord Death Man is nasty.

TexiKen on

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mine was also from T-Bolts #150 as well . . .
    mainly from the fight between Stark and Ghost, where Stark reveals to Ghost that he has shut down his old company and restarted it from the ground up as a more holistic enterprise. Once Ghost becomes privy to this new info he states than Iron Man is no longer the enemy and that's that between the two.

I have scans but Tex is better at convincing you fiendish rouges to pick up the comic than I am, not to mention I don't want his scans + mine to = rule violation of too many scans collabratively. But I do have another moment I want to gush about as well. I present to you Larfleeze, fastest pickpocket in the world!
    "What are these humans talking about? I'm hungry! I need some money to hit the local IHOP though, don't have any on me."
    pickpocket1.jpg
    pickpocket2.jpg

I'm actually a little worried that a superhero would keep his personal info. on him like that. And where was Barry keeping that wallet in that skintight spandex?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I rather liked the scene where Barry calls out Ollie as dragging down Hal simply because Ollie had a mid life crisis and thus became a preachy blowhard.

And the reveal about the Indigo lanterns, that was a nice twist. Mister Bibs covered it in the Brightest Day thread.

edit: I think I need to pick up Superman/Batman #78 next week.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Superman/ Batman 78 was awesome. The Huntress and Powergirl half, not so much. X-Men 5 was pretty bad ass and Cyclops really shows his tactical prowess in this issue. Blessing the ice in Iceman to fight vampires? Ingenious.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bat man Inc. Reading the end narration in the voice of the Adam West TV show narrator.

Algertman on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I rather liked the scene where Barry calls out Ollie as dragging down Hal simply because Ollie had a mid life crisis and thus became a preachy blowhard.

And the reveal about the Indigo lanterns, that was a nice twist. Mister Bibs covered it in the Brightest Day thread.

edit: I think I need to pick up Superman/Batman #78 next week.

One good Scans Daily link deserves another as the second story of BOOM!'s Darkwing Duck comic goes from a 'Return' to an 'Identity Crisis'. In other words, the meeting fans hoped for but never thought possible happens.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nthing that Thunderbolts #150 was really awesome. Great to see Kev Walker doing the art again, even though Declan Shalvey was probably a better tonal fit for the Shadowland tie-in.

Spider-Girl #1 came out this week, and was pretty cool. I've got some qualms about how it borrows too much stuff from the other parts of the Marvel U, but I suppose that's the point of a shared universe. I just tend to prefer it when a superhero has their own rogues, and doesn't have to borrow them from other heroes. I feel like that's the only way you can really build a character's mythology up.

Anyhow, the issue does do a really good job of setting up Spider-Girl/Anya's supporting cast and world. The main conflict of the book stems from a big superpowered fight occurring between the Fantastic Four and an unseen enemy, which in turn causes street crime to explode exponentially, forcing Anya to corral thieves and looters.

Clayton Henry and Paul Tobin do a really good job of selling the chaotic feel of the day, without veering off into a bunch of doom and gloom. Even the bad guys are presented as more than just thuggishly evil. There's also a smart little bit of foreshadowing, which didn't even occur to me until I hit the last page.

Bottom line: If you enjoy teen superhero books with a bit of a classic feel, check this out. Also, Dean Haspiel draws old-school, lumpy Thing. Which is always worth seeing.
    fat2ls.jpg

The Astounding Wolf-Man came to a close this week, and while it's not a great ending, it does do some cool stuff, teases possible future stories, and gives everyone a pretty happy ending. Plus, it has Wolf-Man in a jetpack again, and I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but this series is always at its best when the hero's in a jetpack.
    And this story ends with Wolf-Man, now King of the Werewolves, leading an army of werewolves in jetpacks.
    2le70n9.jpg

More interestingly, there's an ad for a future Jason Howard/Robert Kirkman book, which looks to be the all-ages project Kirkman's been teasing for a while. Which I think will fit Howard's artistic sensibilities a lot better.

X-Factor #211 was good, but basically just a big fight scene punctuated by jokes. Which isn't really a bad thing, it just makes the book read really quickly.
    4sgtwp.jpg

Between the scene in Thunderbolts where all the female inmates are swooning over Thor, and this scene, it seems Thor's being positioned as chief hot dude of the Marvel U.

Munch on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My MotW is getting the FrankenCastle hardcover. Such a great story.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For a moment I thought those were really weird thought bubbles until it mentioned twitter. That's a cool storytelling device, though I could see it getting old quick.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, what is it with everyone wanting Thor's dick this month

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pfft, everyone wanting Thor's schlong goes back to Avengers #1, when 1960s Wasp can't stop talking about how dreamy Thor is.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In Green Lantern Corps 54 Kyle and Sinestro decide to duke it out like man and alien, no rings, Sinestro mentions a grandmaster taught him to fight, he ask who taught Kyle. Well, this is Kyle's response:
    GreenLanternCorps54007.jpg

Cade on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh my god yes.

admanb on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll post pictures when I get them, but this week's moments...

Spider-Girl #1: Since Munch already posted the cat bandit bit I'll say my moment was the bit in the back-up with little Anya saving Reed and Ben with the giant red button

Dead Avengers #1: Jesus. The first two pages, the flashbacks, Swordsman's speech at the end. The whole issue was awesome.

Batman Inc: YOUR HANDS ARE IN HELL

Furu on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    In Green Lantern Corps 54 Kyle and Sinestro destroy to duke it out like man and alien, no rings, Sinestro mentions a grandmaster taught him to fight, he ask who taught Kyle. Well, this is Kyle's response:

I liked the part right before that when Sinestro takes off his ring and it declares "Fisticuffs Enabled"

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Morning Glories continues to impress, has a nice twist in it that you kind of know is coming but is worthwhile anyway, and while each kid kind of fits into a common character type, there's enough done with them to make this different. And while I still don't know where the overall story is heading, the characters are strong enough that I'm not bored or wanting them to die (maybe Hunter, only because with this issue I get a feeling he's Nick Spencer's avatar in the book and some pages really force him into the group dynamic, but it's not a problem if this is a one-off thing).

The kids are trying to rescue Jade, who was put in the dungeon (so to speak) last issue, and are trying to converse without their crazy RA listening in on them:

mg4a.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    For a moment I thought those were really weird thought bubbles until it mentioned twitter. That's a cool storytelling device, though I could see it getting old quick.

See: Galacta

(though Galacta was actually a pretty good one-shot)

Green on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Galacta was great.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance also did twitter bubbles with the Super Young Team. It actually fit them pretty well.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In Green Lantern Corps 54 Kyle and Sinestro decide to duke it out like man and alien, no rings, Sinestro mentions a grandmaster taught him to fight, he ask who taught Kyle. Well, this is Kyle's response:

Perfection.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

Perfection.

It was nice quip but Sinestro still beat him like a mule and then like a gentleman granted him mercy.

How bad ass is that? You hit me so you must suffer regardless of your intent. I will beat you untill you have learned a lesson.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Saying Batman's name while punching a dude causes you to spontaneously grow a billion muscles.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is what, the third time Sinestro has picked a fist fight with Kyle? The other two times Sinestro got punched out. Maybe I'm even missing a few fist fights. It seems to be a thing

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah Sinestro really doesn't like Kyle

Even after Kyle gave him that awesome scar

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Taking over from your one time rival and thrashing him on a few occassions.
    Not letting yourself get controlled as the other GL's were.
    Talking trash to you and then giving you a huge scar on your back.
    Banging your daughter.

Yeah Sinestro has a few reasons not to like Kyle much, though the fact he did stop when he did in their current fight shows he seems to have some respect for him on some level. Not that he'll ever admit it.

Cade on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, so I'm not big on tie in comics. But man, I had to pick the Assassin's Creed: The Fall. Karl Kerschl and Cameron Stewart on both art and writing? I mean it basically called to me from the shelves. It did not disappoint.

There are some issues I had with the actual story, but they were pretty minor.
    Nikolai and Alexander the III felt pretty forced, even if the scene was pretty bad ass. Just too much of the typical, I could kill you right now but I won't because *insert silly reason*

Beyond that though layouts were spot on, characters were drawn with the best kind of expressiveness, and the attention to detail artistically was out of this world.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Late to the party, but what else is new?

So I pick up the new Powers tpb. Number 13 in line. I like the main storyline along with reveals about Walker's past/present. But at the end they start up a new storyline about a dead power that claimed to be a god. Next to last page the FBI shows up claiming jurisdiction. Turn the page:
    And its Special Agent Deena Pilgrim BITCHES!

I thought they had written her out of the main storyline at the end of the last book(reducing her to special guest role status in the main plot). Just a Hell yeah moment for me.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.