As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX Out Now! Ghost ridin' the train! 10/10 at IGN!

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ahh ok thats good to know. So for example your high score on Ch. II score 5 minutes would be compared to mine no matter if you played on Expert and I played on Normal?

Allforce on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    Ahh ok thats good to know. So for example your high score on Ch. II score 5 minutes would be compared to mine no matter if you played on Expert and I played on Normal?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure they're not divided by difficulty.

RainbowDespair on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just watched the Quick Look on Giant Bomb of this. I really wish it was available on PC.

Maybe I should buy a points card for my 360 owning friend and tell him to spend it on this game.

Peewi on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I would think it would HAVE to be, wouldn't it?

Magic Pink on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I would think it would HAVE to be, wouldn't it?

The impression I get is that there's no distinction between difficulty levels; it's just that Expert has the highest risk/reward payoff, so because you start off faster you'll generally score higher than on the earlier levels as long as you don't tank hard.

And even the whole bullet time thing is nicely balanced; the feature is still there on Expert, but since the game clock still runs at the same speed, players who avoid triggering it will still score higher because they have more actual time to play. The more I dive into the game, the more I find that's nicely scaffolded like that.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Woo, just moved into first place overall.

...I'll probably be out of the top 100 by the time I get back from work. :|

Billmaan on
    edited November 2010
    20th overall on Spiral 5 Minute! That's about the highest I've ever ranked in any game. I really don't like how your own score doesn't show up in the "Friends" list so you can compare with your friends without bouncing back and forth between tabs. Or am I missing something?

Allforce on
    edited November 2010
    20th overall on Spiral 5 Minute! That's about the highest I've ever ranked in any game. I really don't like how your own score doesn't show up in the "Friends" list so you can compare with your friends without bouncing back and forth between tabs. Or am I missing something?
    You're not missing anything; it's just a baffling design choice (or a bug). I don't remember the original Pac-Man CE having this problem...

Billmaan on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My 360 could not have red ringed at a worse time. I want to eat ALL the ghosts! :cry:

-SPI- on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    I was wondering why I didn't see your scores on my list yet. :) Anyone else who'd like some leaderboard chasing, send me an add (GT is Lunkermesh).

my first round on Dungeon 5 minute I rock out a solid score in the A rank, somewhere a little under rank 250. and I scroll up one page just looking at scores and who do I see..... Lunkermesh! :x

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am really liking the time trials. I went through the first two stages so far.

My only complaint isn't really a ding on the game, but on the shitty 360 controller. The thumb stick is too slow for fast and tight turns, and the d-pad is so imprecise that its a joke.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

My only complaint isn't really a ding on the game, but on the shitty 360 controller. The thumb stick is too slow for fast and tight turns, and the d-pad is so imprecise that its a joke.

I haven't experimented with it yet, but the second control scheme actually lets you use the face buttons as a sort of D-pad; I wonder if that might work better for you. I agree the analog isn't awesome, but it's servicable.
    my first round on Dungeon 5 minute I rock out a solid score in the A rank, somewhere a little under rank 250. and I scroll up one page just looking at scores and who do I see..... Lunkermesh! :x

Bring it! :D This game taps perfectly into the Geometry Wars 2 mindset of forcing you to acknowledge your own scores; every single time I boot the game, I'm faced with a slew of downward-facing arrows that remind me my scores are slipping, so I leaf through to find which one I want to work on first. It's brilliant psychology, really.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bring it! :D

brought it! FR sent from GT - Mad Eye Moody

have a feeling I won't be too much competition though.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't help but laugh at this multi-page thread discussing strategic advantages of dots vs fruit in Pac-man.

Not laughing at anyone, just at the proof that literally anything can spark an argument on the internet.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited November 2010
    Also, feel free to add me on XBL if you want to compare scores. I know I saw Lunker in my list, but that was about it.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I haven't experimented with it yet, but the second control scheme actually lets you use the face buttons as a sort of D-pad; I wonder if that might work better for you. I agree the analog isn't awesome, but it's servicable.

I wonder how well that new controller with the new Dpad would work...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else think the Leaderboards are fucked up? I'm currently ranked 57th in the world for "All 5 Minute Game Mode Scores, All Levels" at like 13 Million. I play another 5 minute round with a 1.5 million score and the score doesn't budge. Its been the same since last night and I must have played 2 dozen rounds of 5 minute games since then.

Allforce on
    edited November 2010
    My Leaderboards are fine. I bumped up to S Rank on Highway overall. It updated in real-time as I was completing levels.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else think the Leaderboards are fucked up? I'm currently ranked 57th in the world for "All 5 Minute Game Mode Scores, All Levels" at like 13 Million. I play another 5 minute round with a 1.5 million score and the score doesn't budge. Its been the same since last night and I must have played 2 dozen rounds of 5 minute games since then.

Er...you realize that leaderboard just tracks the sum of your best scores on each course, right? It's not a running total of all points you have ever scored in that mode.

Billmaan on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game is utter madness.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited November 2010
    This game has joined the hallowed company of Tetris as being one of the few games I've actually dreamed about.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »

Er...you realize that leaderboard just tracks the sum of your best scores on each course, right? It's not a running total of all points you have ever scored in that mode.

Yeah I realized that last night. Still not updating though when I best a high score on any of the 5 minute courses so I don't know whats going on.

Allforce on
    edited November 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    edit: Oh fun, I broke the game somehow. At the very end of a 10 minute Dungeon run, a cherry spawned on the right side of the screen (instead of a crown) and the wrong set of dots appeared. There were dots inside the walls (or maybe the game wasn't displaying the walls correctly; time ran out before I could find out).

Damn it, I just did it again...except this time I have 90 seconds left on the clock (and have already beaten my old high score). There's one dot stuck in a wall, and I can't get to it.

edit: ...and a THIRD time now. I think the map's broken; it always happens when the fruit counter reads 64 on the left side, 66 on the right.

I'd be frustrated at the presence of such a major bug, but right now I'm just amused that the game has a map with a "kill screen". It seems quite fitting.

edit again: The 65th fruit that spawns on the right half of the board is tainted. Don't eat it; it will break the game.

Billmaan on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I caved and bought this with my Oct. promotion points. It's a lot of fun. I love how you can customize your own pac man and board any way you want. I also love the replay videos on leaderboards and how you actually see how they had their game customized too. The achievements seem pretty easy. I played for about an hour and have 6 of them already.

edit: Also, anyone else who plays this feel free to add me. None of my friends play it and I'd like some people on my friend's list to compete against.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So Pac-Man is up on PSN. I just grabbed it and it is everything I'd hoped it would be, the game is a blast. If any other PS3 Pac-Men want to, feel free to add me. Like anoffday said, it's nice to have friends on the leaderboard. TwentyOneTwelve is my PSN handle.

Sangheili91 on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Woo, I'm, 2000th in the world!

Magic Pink on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game seems pretty rad, only thing I dislike so far is the game's controls don't really feel responsive enough for dealing with the higher game speeds.

Still, this is a very clever reinterpretation of Pacman for the post-Geometry Wars world.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited November 2010
    There's a kill screen in the Dungeon course. I wonder if it's a bug or if they put it in intentionally as homage.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    There's a kill screen in the Dungeon course. I wonder if it's a bug or if they put it in intentionally as homage.

Yeah, I posted about it earlier on this page. :P

The 65th fruit that spawns on the right side of the screen will break the map. There is an obvious workaround: don't eat that fruit. (Even better, don't even let it spawn.)

Billmaan on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone tried a joystick with this game yet?

I've got my Hori Soul Caliber stick around somewhere, I am tempted to blow the dust off it and try it out.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited November 2010
    Got the #1 spot on Championship I mode last night. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone tried a joystick with this game yet?

I've got my Hori Soul Caliber stick around somewhere, I am tempted to blow the dust off it and try it out.

I tried my sf4 TE stick with it... I'm much worse with the stick currently but its fun.

Ah_Pook on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It controls really nicely using a USB Sega Saturn controller.

Moioink on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't understand how the fuck this game works

All the power pellets except for the first are tied to ghosts, making them impossible to eat unless I'm chaining off the first power pellet? Is that correct?

Because if so, that is fucking RETARDED

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    I don't understand how the fuck this game works

All the power pellets except for the first are tied to ghosts, making them impossible to eat unless I'm chaining off the first power pellet? Is that correct?

Because if so, that is fucking RETARDED

No. There are plenty of standalone power pellets. The ghost pellets are just a nice tool that help you to keep massive chains going.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    In Championship II? I've yet to see a standalone that wasn't the starter.

EDIT: Okay, have to focus on clearing the board rather than waking ghosts. I don't know, though, this is still weird. Feels like maybe they've changed too much, especially with bombs. I like how Pac-Man CE changed just enough to the classic formula.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d53XwhPfRCI

37 seconds in, there's the first standalone (plus a lot more later on). Would be even sooner, except he's playing on Easy mode.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    Okay, starting to get the swing of it more now

I think I'll just have to keep reminding myself that this is not a replacement, but rather a companion piece. There are still plenty of reasons to boot up the original Pac-Man CE.

This is pretty fun, though.

Also, playing this in the dark with that new light-up Tron controller is perfect. Visual B hurts my eyes though! That's the yarny one.

UnbreakableVow on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

EDIT: Okay, have to focus on clearing the board rather than waking ghosts. I don't know, though, this is still weird. Feels like maybe they've changed too much, especially with bombs. I like how Pac-Man CE changed just enough to the classic formula.

Um, no. You WANT to wake the ghosts. That way you can build up a conga line of ghosts. Then, when a standalone power pellet shows up, you nab that and chow down.

That's the only way to build a good score.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited November 2010
    Oh shit

That may be the fastest 200/200 on an XBLA game yet

UnbreakableVow on