As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Uncanny X-Thread: Now with a helpful OP!

BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Graphic Violence
The X-Men are rad but there's so much out there WHERE DO I START

Honestly the best way to do it is check out this awesome self contained run to see if X-Men are for you.
Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1-4
Balefuego wrote: »
So you got House of M

then following House of M there's

X-Men: Deadly Genesis. This follows up on a couple of loose plot threads from House of M, and is one those "dark secret from the X-Men's past rears its head" type stories.

Featured X-Men in this story include Cyclops, Marvel Girl (Rachael Summers), Wolverine, Prof. Xavier, and Banshee. Non-essential, but it does cover a couple of salient storylines from House of M. It's decent enough.

Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire is the direct sequel to Deadly Genesis. It's an X-Men/Starjammers in space story. Non-essential, but if you like X-Men in space... (and I do). Featured cast: Xavier, Havok, Marvel Girl, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Warpath, Lilandra, Corsair, Hepzibah.

Around the same time, X-Men: Supernovas features a new, more pro-active team of X-Men back on earth. This is where the build towards Messiah Complex starts, but again it's not absolutley essential. Featured cast: Rogue, Cannonball, Cable, Mystique, Sabretooth, Iceman, Lady Mastermind, Omega Sentinel.

X-Factor is sort of a side book about a mutant detective agency, but it deals heavily with the "street level" impact of House of M and also features one of the major characters from that event. If you like X-Men with a noir feel, you will probably like this. Cast features: Madrox (Multiple Man), Strong Guy, Siryn, M, Rictor, Wolfsbane, and Layla Miller.
(There was also a prequel mini-series about Madrox that took place before House of M.) These are non-essential, although Madrox and Layla in particular play large roles in Messiah Complex. (There are 4 volumes total of X-Factor that come before Messiah Complex, although the trades for this series are smaller)

Uncanny X-Men: The Extremists covers the return of (some) of the team from the Shi'ar storyline's return to earth, to put them back in play. Non-essential.

X-Men: Blinded by the Light is the continuation of the Supernovas cast and leads directly into the Messiah Complex crossover. Essential if you read and enjoyed Supernovas.

Messiah Complex was a big event story that crossed over the 4 main X-titles at the time (Uncanny, X-Men, X-Factor, New X-Men). Essential reading, this sets up the direction for the entire X-universe for the forseeable future.

In the post-Messiah Complex X-universe:
Anyway, post Messiah Complex post ahoy!

Uncanny X-Men: Divided We Stand Bridges the end of Messiah Complex to the brand new status quo in Uncanny X-Men #500. Hippies, San Francisco, a roadtrip across Russia and did I mention hippies? Cast: Emma, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus.

X-Men Legacy: Divided He Stands Follows up on Xavier's fate from Messiah Complex. (This is book is so underrated guys)

X-Force: Angels and DemonsAfter Messiah Complex, Cyclops decides the X-Men need thier own black-ops wetwork team. Thier mission is to pro-activley eliminate perceived threats to the dwindling mutant population. First up: The Purifiers. (Cast: Wolverine, Warpath, X-23, Wolfsbane, Archangel)

Wolverine: Get Mystique Wolverine wants revenge for what Mystique did to the X-Men during Messiah Complex.

Cable: Messiah War Cable's on the run in the timestream, determined to protect the baby at all costs from the former X-Man who betrayed them all.

X-Factor kind of took a dip in quality post-MC, mostly for art reasons and I'm hoping they will get that fixed soon. And I can't in good conscience reccomend Young X-Men yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Balefuego on

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm psyched. That cover for #200is magnificent. I wonder how long it would take to get that tattoed on. I'll have it start at my back and just wrap around.

Interesting how there's no mention of the Scarlet Witch.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seeing Banshee in that cover makes me sad.

Such a stupid, pointless death. No reason at all behind it.

deadonthestreet on
    edited May 2007
    Seeing Banshee in that cover makes me sad.

Such a stupid, pointless death. No reason at all behind it.

He hit a plane head first.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone else notice that the Beast on that cover looks like the old Beast?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    i'm not sure if it means anything. there's dead characters on there too, after all

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Don't crush my dreams Servo.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    don't crush my dreams!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    But Servo, what are your dreams?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And the fact Scott has his arm around Jean.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, Gambit is the old gambit and it looks like Jean is on the cover too, so unless there is some major back-from-the-dead-age going to occur i cannot imagine it will mean anything.

The 4 core x-books are all pretty solid so it's not too bad the story will be split between them, but I don't really like the principle of it.

Finally, book centered on Beast? Awesome.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I swear to god if Jean comes back I'll be pissed.

She's a much more interesting character dead.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's two more preview images:
    x-men-endangered-species-20070518023405077.jpg
    x-men-endangered-species-20070518023419249.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited May 2007
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Yeah, Gambit is the old gambit and it looks like Jean is on the cover too, so unless there is some major back-from-the-dead-age going to occur i cannot imagine it will mean anything.

The 4 core x-books are all pretty solid so it's not too bad the story will be split between them, but I don't really like the principle of it.

Finally, book centered on Beast? Awesome.

I agree I generally hate back-up strips, but I read all of those books anyway. If they were putting parts in New Excalibur or some shit then I would be pissed.

Edit: Is that Billy Tan art?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like how all the other characters are charging, and Emma's just standing there going, "Look at me, I have the power of HAWT"

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The more Cannonball the better.

Hell, I am a fan of the whole Guthrie clan.

deadonthestreet on
    edited May 2007
    see, there beast has his catface

also, oh good, what looks to be another days of future past-esque thing there

just what the x-books needed. more looping internal self-referencing continuity!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2007

god, cannonball effing rules. he's always been one of my favorite semi-minor mutants

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

You and me?

Same page.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited May 2007

Someone please put Paige on a team.

And don't say Austen's run because that shit never happaned.

NEVER HAPPANED

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007

You and me?

Same paige.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Phoenix Force will restore X-genes. Or something. Because the 198? Not really a good idea.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2007
    Servo I'm not sure that Wolverine image is supposed to be taken litterally.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Servo is medically incapable of taking things any other way than literally.

It's a condition.

Furu on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Phoenix Force will restore X-genes. Or something. Because the 198? Not really a good idea.

it's not really a bad idea, it's just that david hine can't seem to write very well and he's been in charge of all of the minor mutants since house of m ended

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2007
    The cover is everyone who has ever been in Adjectivless X-Men, past, present, and future. There was an interview a while ago about the cover, not sure where it is though.

But basically it has little or nothing to do with the issue itself.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »

it's not really a bad idea, it's just that david hine can't seem to write very well and he's been in charge of all of the minor mutants since house of m ended

It just hasn't been implemented well at all.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »

Hine is obsessed with the Morrison style weirdo mutants which is pretty much what the Decimation was supposed to get rid of. I dont know why they thought he would be a good fit.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    The Guthries are pretty rad.

Dayspring on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Someone please put Paige on a team.

And don't say Austen's run because that shit never happaned.

NEVER HAPPANED

She punched someone's head off. It was pretty cool.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That #200 cover also has the old Chamber on it rather than his new style from New Excalibur. Old Sunfire as well.

Also, Dark Beast? Awesome. Last I remember he was tooling around in Genosha. He shown up anywhere else since then?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited May 2007
    That #200 cover also has the old Chamber on it rather than his new style from New Excalibur. Old Sunfire as well.

Also, Dark Beast? Awesome. Last I remember he was tooling around in Genosha. He shown up anywhere else since then?

No, he's been confirmed to have survived and to still have his powers, but thats it.
    Mike Carey wrote:
    "The stories are structured very much as an individual's quest to find a solution to an intractable and catastrophic situation. "The main protagonist in the stories is Hank McCoy, the Beast--seen here in his role as the X-Men's foremost scientific expert. We see him exploring the parameters of this situation and feeling out possible ways around it. And then we see him increasingly thinking the unthinkable and entertaining very unsettling options--both in terms of the people he approaches and in terms of the experiments he's willing to undertake. And finally we take him to an encounter that he'd hoped to avoid, but that could hold the key to--at the very least--a full understanding of what's at stake and what can still be done. It's kind of a journey to the heart of darkness, in some ways: a very scary, very personal story with a huge emotional weight behind it."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but if that "encounter he'd hoped to avoid" leads to a 1on1 with Dark Beast ... lets just say boners will be sprung.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Onslaught saga back in the 90s was the last time I got any X-books up until recently. I take it this 1 on 1 hasn't happened yet?

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
    edited May 2007
    Beast meets Dark Beast would be so cool.
    Does dark beast still have his shiny metal trousers?

Dayspring on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

No, he's been confirmed to have survived and to still have his powers, but thats it.
    Mike Carey wrote:
    "The stories are structured very much as an individual's quest to find a solution to an intractable and catastrophic situation. "The main protagonist in the stories is Hank McCoy, the Beast--seen here in his role as the X-Men's foremost scientific expert. We see him exploring the parameters of this situation and feeling out possible ways around it. And then we see him increasingly thinking the unthinkable and entertaining very unsettling options--both in terms of the people he approaches and in terms of the experiments he's willing to undertake. And finally we take him to an encounter that he'd hoped to avoid, but that could hold the key to--at the very least--a full understanding of what's at stake and what can still be done. It's kind of a journey to the heart of darkness, in some ways: a very scary, very personal story with a huge emotional weight behind it."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but if that "encounter he'd hoped to avoid" leads to a 1on1 with Dark Beast ... lets just say boners will be sprung.

Sounds pretty fuckawesome.

Scooter on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Magneto looks sort of like he did on X-Men #2 (1991). Also why does Marvel hate my bank account so much?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

Mike Carey wrote:

Okay, I'm definatley missing somthing, but, isn't Dark Beast Beast from the future? And didn't he get raped by Future Phoenix?

Transporter on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Mike Carey wrote:

Okay, I'm definatley missing somthing, but, isn't Dark Beast Beast from the future? And didn't he get raped by Future Phoenix?

I thought Dark beast was AoA Beast, but was one of the very few who actually survived when that alt. universe went bye-bye.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

Mike Carey wrote:

I thought Dark beast was AoA Beast, but was one of the very few who actually survived when that alt. universe went bye-bye.

You would be thinking correctly

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Magneto looks sort of like he did on X-Men #2 (1991). Also why does Marvel hate my bank account so much?

It's not that they hate your bank account, more that they looooove your money.

Why is Iceman wearing boxerbriefs in that shot? Dammit, can't anyone draw him cool anymore? The guy's made of ICE- he doesn't need extra layers!

Tach on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Mike Carey wrote:

You're thinking of Here Comes Tomorrow Beast.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.