As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ys Seven - Dogi is a brawler / Chronicles bumping into stores

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What the fuck is the puzzle with what I am assuming is the last boss? I tried for 10 minutes and couldn't do any damage to it. I couldn't even figure out where to hit it. It's pissing me off because this is the only time in the game they've pulled something like this. I'm pretty sure I tried every move in my arsenal that I could and nothing mattered. Everything just whiffed or I randomly hit something for 0.

Edit: Fucking hell, I know what to do now and it's so dumb because I didn't know the R button could cycle magic. I thought I was stuck with whatever I had upon entering the battle, so the magic I had made it impossible to win. Since they blocked the camp menu during boss battles I thought it was a design choice, like the battles are so hectic you don't have time to change equipment.

Edit 2: Yesssss, beat the boss. That was an intense battle. This was a really great game. My only problem was that I didn't know R could switch spells, and they really should not have locked the camp menu. What am I going to break by changing my armor and shield? Because that's all that's left on that screen if I can switch accessories and magic with the shoulder buttons. It served no purpose to lock that screen and it just made me get really frustrated for not knowing a combat shortcut.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    I just have to ask, is there a Premium/Collector's Edition of Felghana?

Yes indeed. http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84324

off-topic: I don't really like GameStop, but they actually have pictures of the product.

Well now, it's a good thing I didn't buy the regular edition when I saw it. This is good info.

Fair warning, the bonus for the LE Felghana is much less awesome than the one for Seven. The calendar cards are kind of neat, but that's all they are - cards that are each double sided, with each side being one month of a calendar. They're a little wider than a postcard, and they're each separate, and they come in a pretty cheap plastic case. The art on them is pretty, but it's not as good as the totally awesome cloth map that came with Seven.

The CD is good, though, as the arrangements of the Ys 3 music found in Oath in Felghana are amazing.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lordy lordy, the first optional boss fight is mean. I've got a good idea of what I'm supposed to do, but it isn't easy.

Edit: Holy balls, I did it. That was in addition to about 10 attempts yesterday and 5 before this post, some of which were me just killing myself because I screwed up early on. God that was intense. 11 minutes and I couldn't take it easy for a second or I'd die.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    What the fuck is the puzzle with what I am assuming is the last boss? I tried for 10 minutes and couldn't do any damage to it. I couldn't even figure out where to hit it. It's pissing me off because this is the only time in the game they've pulled something like this. I'm pretty sure I tried every move in my arsenal that I could and nothing mattered. Everything just whiffed or I randomly hit something for 0.

Edit: Fucking hell, I know what to do now and it's so dumb because I didn't know the R button could cycle magic. I thought I was stuck with whatever I had upon entering the battle, so the magic I had made it impossible to win. Since they blocked the camp menu during boss battles I thought it was a design choice, like the battles are so hectic you don't have time to change equipment.

Edit 2: Yesssss, beat the boss. That was an intense battle. This was a really great game. My only problem was that I didn't know R could switch spells, and they really should not have locked the camp menu. What am I going to break by changing my armor and shield? Because that's all that's left on that screen if I can switch accessories and magic with the shoulder buttons. It served no purpose to lock that screen and it just made me get really frustrated for not knowing a combat shortcut.

Yeah, they don't tell you that at all. I figured it out during the battle against the 3 harpies, because why have a boss fight against all 3 elements if you can't switch?

But yes, Felghana's final boss is fucking incredible. It combines Zelda style "what's the weakpoint puzzle-solving" with the sheer ball-to-the-wall toughness you expect from Ys.

Boss design is just one more thing the Ys series does well (recently, at least). The fact that bosses start out kinda weak, but get more attacks/fewer moments of weakness as you drop their HP is great - it means that when you die, you want to try immediately again, because hey, you can get them to half health without getting hit, right? Just one more try!

Delzhand on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Premium Edition of Ys 3 get. You guys were right. There was a premium Edition. Time to listen to the soundtrack.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Two things I'm thinking of on my second runthrough.

1. What in god's name is the refresh rate on a PSP-1000, because the volcano is just horrible to play. It blurs so much when I move that it makes me have to adjust my eyes with a barrage of blinking. I wish I had a 3000 because oh my god.

2. My kingdom for a scene skip. Holding O is okay, but it doesn't work on the scenes before you get the double jump or before the last boss. So I have to hear those long speeches every single time.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I started on Seven this weekend, after finally finishing Legacy of Ys for DS. What's with these other guys running around behind me? :)

I don't think I understand the mechanic that determines when your companions use skills. It kinda looks like they tend to use the skill that's mapped to the same button as the one you pressed to trigger on the main character, but they don't always do it? And you're only charged SP for the skill you actually trigger, not for anything your companions do? -- Does this mean I should map a really cheap skill on a crappy character to the same button as the expensive skills on better characters, and drive the crappy one to get awesome skills for free?

Also, did anyone else have a D: moment when you realized you needed to slash up (or punch, or whatever) your enemies' CORPSES to get more loot?

ystael on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh goody, turns out you still get the gallery images for Boss Rush if you cheat with the camp menu code. You just have an awful time. That's good because if hard mode was any indication the boss rush for nightmare and inferno will be exactly the same levels and setup, which means just beating Dularn will take forever and you'll die in two hits. I really want a filled out gallery. Guess I'll be playing through Nightmare, Inferno, Easy, and Very easy.....

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I feel a little underwhelmed by the OST so far. Maybe my standards were too high.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ystael wrote: »
    So I started on Seven this weekend, after finally finishing Legacy of Ys for DS. What's with these other guys running around behind me? :)

I don't think I understand the mechanic that determines when your companions use skills. It kinda looks like they tend to use the skill that's mapped to the same button as the one you pressed to trigger on the main character, but they don't always do it? And you're only charged SP for the skill you actually trigger, not for anything your companions do? -- Does this mean I should map a really cheap skill on a crappy character to the same button as the expensive skills on better characters, and drive the crappy one to get awesome skills for free?

Also, did anyone else have a D: moment when you realized you needed to slash up (or punch, or whatever) your enemies' CORPSES to get more loot?

Your allies will use a random skill, it doesn't even have to be equipped. I think it seems to use a skill with a similar SP cost, but that might have just been coincidence.

If you could actually force allies to use a certain skill, say, Tornado, when you used something cheap, then it would've made certain characters much better to have in your party.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh god the grind to upgrade armor and weapons is huge in Felghana. Level 51 is essentially the max level. You're never going to get past it unless you grind for a really long time. So my only way to get any kind of advantage on the final boss now for Nightmare and Inferno is to grind out money. At level 5 though the last stuff costs 40k+, so it takes so long to get the cash.

Oh and if you think you'll gain levels grinding out cash, you won't. I made about 50k and got around 1/10th of what I need to level up.

Gilder on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh hey, I forgot Oath was coming out.

Upgrading weapons / armor in it wasn't a huge focus for me. I realized it was better to save my money to buy the newest stuff, until I got the next-to-last set of armor. Then I'd do upgrading here and there. Ultimately though what's going to save your hide is having SHMUP-like reflexes to dodge attacks.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh it's not necessary really at all until Nightmare and Inferno. The last boss gets some ridiculous shit on the higher difficulties, like
    he'll have the lasers doing the criss-cross in the center, one arm will be spraying fire everywhere, and the other will shoot out the red plasma orb that homes in unless you keep jumping.

Now how in the fuck do I dodge that? Answer: I don't, but I upgrade my armor so I don't take like 60 damage.

Gilder on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh it's not necessary really at all until Nightmare and Inferno. The last boss gets some ridiculous shit on the higher difficulties, like
    he'll have the lasers doing the criss-cross in the center, one arm will be spraying fire everywhere, and the other will shoot out the red plasma orb that homes in unless you keep jumping.

Now how in the fuck do I dodge that? Answer: I don't, but I upgrade my armor so I don't take like 60 damage.

On the bright side I don't think there are any one-hit kills in this game!
    Just multiple hits received in a split second if you're sloppy.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

On the bright side I don't think there are any one-hit kills in this game!
    Just multiple hits received in a split second if you're sloppy.

The closest thing to a one-hit kill is some BS the last boss can pull if you're really unlucky.
    If you just happen to be standing in the spot where the thing that shoots out bullets spawns when you're reflecting the orb you're completely screwed if you don't have boost. It spawns so quickly that there's no real way to get out and your reaction speed is probably too slow, you can't use the charge magic for invincibility, and even if you escape you'll probably miss the reflect and get hit by it.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hell yes. Beat the game on Inferno AND did the second extra battle. Much easier than the first one in my opinion. In case you're wondering what it is....
    The boss is Black Pikkard: The Deadliest Cuteness. Upon starting it says "The black pikkard is watching you. Waiting. Plotting its time to strike. Raw power emanates from its tiny body." When you beat it the game says ""Holy Crap! You actually won!" I would have liked that for Berhardt actually. Black Pikkard is strong, but he doesn't hit as hard as Berhardt. So you can afford to mess up. Which is good, because Pikkard uses a lot of attacks from other bosses.

Now to just beat the inferno boss rush (Easy because I totally cheat) and finish the game on the easiest difficulties.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Uh, so the dark cavern. I'm assuming there IS a statue there I'm supposed to find?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Did you get the thing to let you see in the dark? Because there's no way you reached the bottom without the double jump and that's all I can think of that's preventing the boss. There's an amulet in the top level (Original mines) across a broken bridge. Take it to the old lady in town.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There was a thing to let you see in the dark in the mines? I did not know that.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oath In Felghana beat. I approve of them porting Ys games to the PSP. They're a lot of fun, and I cannot wait for Ys 1+2 to come out.

Has anyone noticed that on the spines of the game, they put up a part of the picture of the Ys logo on each? I thought that was pretty neat.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There's also a picture of the cast on the LE boxes. Since I don't have 7's though I'll never finish it. XSeed is supposed to be working on Sora No Kiseki after Ys 1+2, which I think is a good sign for us getting Ys: Alternative Saga. So that could be even more Ys for us.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Me=happy. I haven't cared enough for a series like this in a long, long time. I didn't care for Ark Of Naphistim, but that was probably because I was playing it on the PS2. This series being portable is probably the big reason why I like it so much.

EDIT: Hey, you're right! There is a wide picture forming on the LE boxes.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's also a picture of the cast on the LE boxes. Since I don't have 7's though I'll never finish it. XSeed is supposed to be working on Sora No Kiseki after Ys 1+2, which I think is a good sign for us getting Ys: Alternative Saga. So that could be even more Ys for us.

That logo is a cruel trick -- I was on the fence about getting I+II for PSP since I already have Legacy for DS, but y'know, the logo, it must be completed :?

Anybody know how Seven and Felghana have done so far?

ystael on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8VbVvo-Yq8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWsvDgoCpC0

5373576971_3f02dcf2ca.jpg

Looks gorgeous, not too keen on the font though.

Love the arranged OST. Yay solos!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Chronicles came out today so I've been playing it a little bit. This is my first time with 1 and 2 so the bumping mechanic is still strange to me. However I never saw the difference people were talking about for other Ys games where one level makes all the difference. I definitely see it here. I was having trouble on the first boss a bit with not being able to hurt him for much and dying from the fire. So I think to myself I'll gain a level so I can deal more damage. Well that just fucking broke the game apparently, because it went from needing 15 hits to kill to 3. Geeze.

Also you get 3 soundtracks to choose from, oh boy! You can use PC-88, Complete, or Chronicles. I'm using Chronicles, although it turns out I was on Complete by accident somehow and Complete has a really sweet boss theme. Chronicles isn't as good. I'd look for a comparison but I don't want to spoil anything for myself.

Gilder on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thread title suggestions now that Chronicles is out? Ys is too short to be searchable.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Chronicles bumping into stores?

Gilder on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, just to recap:

Ys I&II (Chronicles, I guess the best version?)
    Ys III remake
    Ys VII

. . . are all on PSP. If one were so inclined, where would one go to play IV, V and VI?

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    6 is also on PSP, but it's done by Konami, not XSeed. The load times kind of suck too from what I hear, so you may want to get it on PS2. It's still in perfectly working english though. For 4 and 5 you're going to have to look for fan translations. Wikipedia says a translation for 5 isn't available yet, although it may be outdated, and 4 does have one. However 4 is the really weird game that's actually two completely different versions on different consoles. I don't know which version was translated.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The SNES YS IV is considered canon and has been translated by AGTP.

The same dudes had a status update for V about a year ago, but nothing since then.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    6 has load times, but it has the better OP; high res animation instead of god-awful CG.

I'd say get the PSP version. The load times are not THAT bad. At least the game runs well.

Be forewarned: it's tough as hell. I think it's harder than Felghana, but I'm in the minority there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Was 6 Ark of Napishtim? You can unlock the original animation intro

and also turn the voices completely to 0, they're bad, atrocious really

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You can also change the voices to the Japanese, which are a lot more tolerable, via the same method as seeing the other OP.

I didn't find Napishtim to be that hard, but I played it on PS2. The PSP version might be harder or something. Also there's one dungeon that is a hell of a maze, and took me a long time to get through.

Kainy on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm loving Chronicles so far and liking how things are setup differently than the original; going so far as to even have an actual intro. I played the original on the SEGA Master System in '87 and loved the game (more so than I did Zelda a few years later) and have been wanting for years to play Y's II, but I never owned a TG-16. I even went so far as to try a translated version of Complete on PC, but the second part froze once you got out of the opening town. Been waiting for this version ever since it was announced in this thread... but now my PSP is acting up and nearly refusing to play the game sometimes. Gonna have to break down and buy a new one just to play. You hear that Falcom? I'm spending an extra $130 just so I can play a game I have dreamt about since childhood! I so hope it is worth it.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah the bumping took a bit to get used to, particularly through the first level. It is kind of hilarious how by gaining one level you go from getting killed by fodder to one-shotting them. Sounds like I may need to grind one more though because the "fire boss" for lack of a better term is kind of kicking my ass. Or I may need to grind money for some better equipment (same difference really). Luckily, I love the overworld music so that shouldn't be too bad.

edit: question - anyone have any experience with how much "better" Ys I is on the PSP-3000 compared to the 1000? Scrolling the screen everything gets a lot darker and blurry. In fact, it's gotten progressively worse: Ys 7 was fine throughout, Felghana started getting bad in fact some of the boss fights were that much harder because of it, and now Ys I is a bit of a mess. At least the fonts seem slightly better than OiF.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I recently was gift Oath in Felghana and from this thread it sounds like I'm doing it wrong. I'm normally very good at adventure games like this, but I am consistently getting murdered by bosses. Each boss takes an average of 10 to 20 tries for me. And I'm playing on normal, I can't imagine how hard Nightmare would be.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You have to memorize their patterns. Gaining levels helps, but it's not like 1 & 2 where you absolutely have to. Strategy is much more important.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That sounds like solid advice.

My main problem is that I think I'm just too hasty in trying to attack. The bosses all seem pretty fair on normal, they either blink or move prior to attacking, so you normally have a chance to dodge before getting hit.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I bought Chronicles not knowing that much about the Ys series and knowing nothing about these two particular games. Wasn't really sure what difficulty setting to choose for Ys 1, so I tried Normal, got frustrated, started again in Easy (thought that since it was an old game and Easy is the default highlighted one that it might be more palatable), got frustrated again and then levelled up a bit. From reading this thread I can see that levelling up can make it feel like you've broken the game but I'm worried I might find the whole game too easy now. Does anyone know if there's much difference between the difficulty settings? Should I go back to my Normal game?

EvilRedEye on
    Gone.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, 1 & 2's all about level grinding. Lurk for a little while in one area and you'll go back and rip everything to shreds.

Also, fetching items buried in dungeons that you need to proceed without any indication of where they are.
    So much of that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png