As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paranormal Activity and Also Other Horror Movies That Are Not Paranormal Activity

15678911»

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you to see something scary bad, try watching 'A thief in the Night' and it's sequel 'A Distant Thunder'. They were made to specifically scare school children into a certain mindset.

Though some of it is horrifically funny:

"If you didn't accept the blood than you wouldn't have the antibodies to fight off the poison, and you would of died."

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    I enjoyed Saw 1 and the twist genuinely caught me by surprise (probably because I purposely wasn't trying to figure it out), but I never watched any of the sequels. Never really got the point, and if someone told me there would be 6 sequels in 6 years to Saw 1 back in 2004, I would have called them crazy.

I saw it for the first time back in 2008 on Halloween.

I actually liked it quite a bit. The concept was pretty clever, and the plot twist at the end caught me by surprise. The way they ended the credits was pretty chilling.

Godfather on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Watching Sleepaway Camp 2 right now, with Sleepaway Camp 3 up next.

I love these horrible, horrible movies so much.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The plot twist at the end of Saw catches you by surprise because it's total bullshit.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

I didn't know there were sequels to that film. How did that even work, after the ending to the first one?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you to see something scary bad, try watching 'A thief in the Night' and it's sequel 'A Distant Thunder'. They were made to specifically scare school children into a certain mindset.

"If you didn't accept the blood than you wouldn't have the antibodies to fight off the poison, and you would of died."

tell me more about this would of

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I didn't know there were sequels to that film. How did that even work, after the ending to the first one?
    Little boy grows up, has a sex change that turns him into Bruce Springsteen's sister, she becomes a camp counselor and kills people in really hilarious ways.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's pretty much your standard rapture story. Made in the 70's with a budget of 'next to nothing', it was made specifically to scare little school children into accept Jesus into their hearts.

Child abuse in VHS form.

Film wise the movie isn't the worst movie I ever seen. Yes, the acting is horrible and the transition is very disorienting and you have the crazy 70's era culture, but it does have its own little charm that you just have to smile every once and a while (though my head nearly exploded when I heard the above mention quote).

Though I wonder if MT3k ever gotten a hold of it, cause this is a prime MiSTing candidate.

You can find clips on it on youtube.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to watch Saw 3D this week (the 2D version though) just because I've seen all the previous Saw films in theaters. And I don't even know why either since I thought Saw 4 was pretty sub-par. But I might as well complete the series, and not paying for it helps too. It pays to have friends who work in movie theaters.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It's pretty much your standard rapture story. Made in the 70's with a budget of 'next to nothing', it was made specifically to scare little school children into accept Jesus into their hearts.

Child abuse in VHS form.

Film wise the movie isn't the worst movie I ever seen. Yes, the acting is horrible and the transition is very disorienting and you have the crazy 70's era culture, but it does have its own little charm that you just have to smile every once and a while (though my head nearly exploded when I heard the above mention quote).

Though I wonder if MT3k ever gotten a hold of it, cause this is a prime MiSTing candidate.

You can find clips on it on youtube.

:lol:

it's would have, not would of. I was poking fun at you :P

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

The original Sleepaway camp was actually kind of decent. Soundtrack rocked, the twist was kinda good but seriously
    killing the kids for throwing sand and her? Oh cmon.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My friend and I are going to go see this in a few hours.

She hasn't seen the first one, but I have. Will she be confused?

Asiina on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

The original Sleepaway camp was actually kind of decent. Soundtrack rocked, the twist was kinda good but seriously

Was Sleepaway the one where
    ENDING SPOILER
    At the end the girl doing the killing is really a dude who was forced to dress, act, and live like a girl, and the surviving counselors discover "her" sitting on the ground holding the romantic interest's head in her lap?

Havelock on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    My friend and I are going to go see this in a few hours.

She hasn't seen the first one, but I have. Will she be confused?

This is a prequel that sort of goes with the understanding that you've seen the first one so... yes and no. PA1 might just be slightly ruined for her by the end, if anything.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Saw 3D was awesome, except for the dialogue. and a good part of the plot...

Well it was still awesome, I even got the glasses.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Havelock wrote: »

ENDING SPOILER
    At the end the girl doing the killing is really a dude who was forced to dress, act, and live like a girl, and the surviving counselors discover "her" sitting on the ground holding the romantic interest's head in her lap?

Yes.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Havelock wrote: »

ENDING SPOILER
    That's the one. The original is decent, and kind of suspenseful.

The sequels...Well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg5BCM9DDb4

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

ugh, i LOVE the whole sleepaway camp series. i don't care what anyone says, they're all good in their own special ways. the third one is just ridiculous and amazing. i have an mp3 of angela's rap. great random addition to mix cds.

also, last night i watched an 80s horror called 'society'. my boyfriend put it on for us to fall asleep to and oh my god. it was bad in a typical cheesy way, but it also just kept getting increasingly insane and i was totally unprepared for the ending. if you can track it down, please watch it. but don't blame me.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just saw a movie called Red Velvet. Anyone else ever see it? Aside from the painfully obvious 'twist' (so obvious that I'm not actually sure it was supposed to be a twist) and the really odd ending, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I watched Paranormal Entity because it was first on the list on Netflix instant and I thought it was the second paranormal activity for some reason.

Don't make that mistake. Ugh.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was that an Asylum film? Sounds like one.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just got back from PA2, and I thought it was amazing... up until the last bit when...
    Katie shows up

I decided to go see it before it left theatres because like the first one I assume the big booming surround has more of an effect on the "scary" of it, then a weak little limp dicked thump coming out of my TV's built in stereo speakers. Also Harry Potter was premiering tonight at midnight and I knew there would be a line. I like to go to different movies on days like this. Just walking past everyone in line freezing their nads off, and getting my ticket and going in. :p

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I also recently saw PA 2 and actually enjoyed it more than the first one.

I think it was the idea of "oh man let's just have tons of cameras and it will be more scary!" and it worked for me. I was able to turn off my brain and enjoy it. My only gripe was this...
    Okay, when the mom gets possessed and the dad finally believes everything, they're ready to do something, but why did no one bother to go back and check the first tapes from when the demon picked up the baby after the daughter got locked out? I mean you'd think at least the girl would have checked to prove what happened, and she did, but apparently was too bored to watch the rest of the damn tape...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I also recently saw PA 2 and actually enjoyed it more than the first one.

I think it was the idea of "oh man let's just have tons of cameras and it will be more scary!" and it worked for me. I was able to turn off my brain and enjoy it. My only gripe was this...
    Okay, when the mom gets possessed and the dad finally believes everything, they're ready to do something, but why did no one bother to go back and check the first tapes from when the demon picked up the baby after the daughter got locked out? I mean you'd think at least the girl would have checked to prove what happened, and she did, but apparently was too bored to watch the rest of the damn tape...

I think that the idea at that point was more
    "Holy fuck. Mom's a demon. Holy fuck." At that point I don't think there was a lot of time for research.

In fact, even if they did, what kind of benefit would that provide?

SatanIsMyMotor on