As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] Introducing New Random Forum Events

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alchemy isn't the money profession, herbalism is. It's just that most alchemists have herbalism so they make mad bank (which I hope to do with my tauren druid OP herbing).

Opty on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Alchemy isn't the money profession, herbalism is. It's just that most alchemists have herbalism so they make mad bank (which I hope to do with my tauren druid OP herbing).

I may just level from 80-81 on herbing :P

Bobble on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    You cannot purchase Flight Master's License in 4.0.3a. Which is a bit annoying since the new Org is really taking advantaging of the Y-axis.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jewel crafting - Your monies, give them to me :) . Enchanting - my monies, let me give them to you to level :(

LockeCole on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You cannot purchase Flight Master's License in 4.0.3a. Which is a bit annoying since the new Org is really taking advantaging of the Y-axis.

*cough* Z axis.

But yeah, the only thing I didn't like about leveling a goblin in the beta is that new org is a bitch and a half to get around in without a mount.

LockeCole on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I think you need to get the expansion to fly in the old world.

Toldo on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    to be fair, z-axis is depth, and y-axis is height when you're talking about 3-dimensional space.

INeedNoSalt on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So they're taking away any way to get around conveniently without adding flight?

Super.

Wish I'd brought my mage to my new server :-/

to be fair, z-axis is depth, and y-axis is height when you're talking about 3-dimensional space.

Is that accurate? I'd always thought of it as X-axis being left/right, Y-axis being forward/backward, and Z-axis being up/down (jumping, swimming, flying).

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you're using X, Y, Z coordinates, you're usually using them with a map. So imagine WoW in a completely overhead view (just like looking at the maps), X and Y as the 2D axis and Z as "depth" meaning your elevation in relation to ground / sea / whatever level.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you expect coordinates to be ordered in xyz order, WoW uses z as height.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think all im going to do for the next few days and even the first couple of days of CAT is just fly around and collect mats(ore especially for BS/JC, which i think ill jump on the JC things as fast as possible, as Jc is just waaaay too much money to pass up. Considering, its my second toon i usually level and i didnt even really bother much in getting patterns till the epic gem ones came out, its a crap tonne of money to be made. Its frankly ridiculous. Too bad my Miner/Herbalist are on different toons, well other than my gbank toon, but hes only level 33 right now.
    The only thing remaining for me in wotlk to buy is the mammoth with the vendors. I can afford it right now, but that would take me below the threshold i want to have in regards to gold on each of my 80s.

Sammich on
    edited November 2010
    Video games use Y as height and Z as depth. There's a reason depth ordering is also known as z ordering.

Opty on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, but that's not really relevant because your camera can be facing any direction. If you are looking up then the vertical axis is the video cards z axis, but if you are looking forward then the vertical axis is the videocards y axis. It's probably best to just say vertical axis because it is unambiguous.

jackal on
    edited November 2010
    Oh dur, I used a camera space argument in world space. In fact all of the stuff in my head I can think of for Y being up is related to camera space, so really I have no idea what WoW's world space might be.

Opty on
    edited November 2010
    Why am I not surprised my comment spurred a geometry discussion?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    Druids, Death Knights, Mages, Engineers, Alchs at least, will all have other portal options
    I don't think you can go anywhere from Acherus, though, so I wouldn't count DKs.

Can someone paste that awful Best Buy Q&A?

forty on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    Druids, Death Knights, Mages, Engineers, Alchs at least, will all have other portal options
    I don't think you can go anywhere from Acherus, though, so I wouldn't count DKs.

I will kill a bitch, if I can't mount up and fly straight out of Acherus.

That's not how it works on the beta?

It would be awful, but you can at the very least, currently hop on a short flight path down to Light's Hope Chapel.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2010
    You can flight path to UC as Horde from Archerus, I dunno about Alliance though.

Opty on
    edited November 2010
    Well, I wrote "I don't think" because I'm not positive. Dalaran takes me everywhere I need to go now, so who cares about the alternatives, amirite??

forty on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh btw, for those who didn't see it yet - in 4.0.3a you can finally fly in Dalaran. It's crazy!

Edit: And Y is height. Y is always height. Screw map coordinates :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited November 2010
    I guess that's how they fix the failing parachute buff bug? Just get rid of being dismounted in Dalaran?

forty on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Because we're not looking at wow top-down, Y axis is correct. :rotate:

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited November 2010
    For those interested, I got into Twilight Highlands on the PTR, and it immediately teleported me back into Wetlands.

So there you go.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »

We spend most of the game walking in a 2D plane. An XY-plane.

Z is height.

shryke on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

We spend most of the game walking in a 2D plane. An XY-plane.

Z is height.

Except for elves, who are required by the ToS to jump around like a hyperactive 6 year old.

Bobble on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Let's all agree that there is support for both and that this is a really boring argument even by the standards of the WoW thread.

captaink on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Let's all agree that there is support for both and that this is a really boring argument even by the standards of the WoW thread.

Except the support for the "Y is height" camp doesn't work because they built their support on it's side.

shryke on
    edited November 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

Except the support for the "Y is height" camp doesn't work because they built their support on it's side.

The reason Z is considered height is because generally you look top-down at the model. Clasically, that's how you draw them (Cartesian coordinates anyways).

From the perspective of a user, Y would be your height as that paper is now being held in front of you.

The coordinates and axis name are perspective based. That's why "Vertical Axis" is misleading itself, because vertical to a figure in the scene is not the same vertical (depth vs height) as the system in which it takes place.

:rotate:

The more you know (tm)?

Edit: In case you missed it or I've confused you, you're both right.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think we can all agree that anyone who thinks it should be X is some kind of nazi.

815165 on
  • SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My cats breath smells like cat food.

Sammich on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I sleep in a drawer.

Bloodshed on
    edited November 2010
    I use women's shampoo.

bowen on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just got the Tiger mount in ZG.

..............well, I figured if the above posts were false..:(

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are we intentionally letting this thread get huge or are we just too lazy to make a new one?

Undead Scottsman on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yesterday I got both ZG mounts, in one run

Dadouw on
    edited November 2010
    Dadouw wrote: »

Yesterday, I slept with a GIRL!

Undead Scottsman on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dadouw wrote: »

Yesterday, I slept with a GIRL!

Unlike you, what I said is true!
    WoWScrnShot_111910_165259.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_111910_165330.jpg

Dadouw on
    edited November 2010
    I will cut your face.

bowen on
    edited November 2010
    There's not enough hate in the universe for you.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited November 2010
    forty wrote: »

Also, I'm going to make some sort of 3-D game and make height/altitude the x-axis!

forty on
This discussion has been closed.