As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why would you play a game for that long before A) getting bored or B) not giving a shit and hating it

I dont know. I dont know.

Thats part of the mystery. Though i never said i hated it, there was just a series of small things that bothered me, but not to the extent that it ruined the game.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    I was kind of the same with ME2, I played through it and thoroughly enjoyed it, did every single quest possible but I had no desire to play again. I was probably just burned out on it though, put about 40 hours into it in a week, and I worked more than that so...

Fizban140 on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know Dragon Age was the first game I reduced the difficulty on just to get through the lame ass combat. But man, the PC version's combat is just so much better, and that's without the extra tactic options / combat rebalance mods. Seriously, the 360 version was garbage.

Anyway, what's the actual differences between the three different Warrior Shield+Sword tree passives? They all seem the damn same, except one gives a tiny more boost to arrow avoidence that's not worth bothering with.

Blurbl on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Witchsight wrote: »
    DA:O is unique in that after completing it, i have no desire to revisit it, and i cant recall if i had fun doing it.

I like to ponder that now and then, wondering how its possible.

Yeah, I beat it and can't be bothered doing it again because I know how it plays out. I did have fun the first time, though.

Xeddicus on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I enjoy DAO. Beaten it once, and have two playthroughs well into the mid-game each. But a lot of times I think I just liked it because of the nostalgia element. I played the hell out of BG II and IWD. DAO brought me back to a lot of those good times.

That's not to say it doesn't have a lot of problems. I could forgive a lot of them if character development had more depth. Some abilities are stupid broken, either too good or too bad, and therefore must haves or avoid at all costs. And auto-attacking simply should not be the best option.

I'm not going to throw the whole game out with the bathwater. I enjoyed a lot of it. I thought the Character Origins were particularly great. Really, I can't think of a bad one except for the Wood Elf's. All the others had great setup for characters that extended pretty well to the later game. And I was pretty absorbed throughout the whole thing. I logged a 100 hours throughout the whole thing, and 60 in just one play through. I would not have done so if it weren't worthwhile.

I think DA2 is going to be good, if a fundamentally different experience. What's really going to make or break this game for me is whether Bioware steps up their game. They've proven many times they spin a good yarn. I have no problem with that. Gameplay and design decisions have to step up now.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Sten is a decent enough character, but you really need to work to get anything worthwhile from him, and when you do, it's not really worth it.

He has some good banters, though.
    Leliana: I saw what you were doing back there.
    Sten: Oh?
    Leliana: Don't play innocent with me.
    Sten: What are you talking about?
    Leliana: You. Playing with that kitten.
    Sten: ...There was no kitten.
    Leliana: Sten, I saw you. You dangling a piece of twine for it.
    Sten: I was helping it train.
    Leliana: You're a big softie!
    Sten: We will never speak of this again.
    Leliana: Softie!

Sten: Stop that.
    Leliana: (Giggles) Stop what?
    Sten: That. Looking at me and giggling.
    Leliana: I can't help it! You are so big and stoic! Who would have thought you'd be a big softie?
    Sten: Stop saying that. I am a soldier of the Beresaad. I am not a "softie."
    Leliana: (Giggles) Softie.
    Sten: ...I hate humans.

Alistair: You know, you never did tell me how you passed the time in that cage for so long.
    Sten: No, I didn't.
    Alistair: So... what did you do in there?
    Sten: A training exercise. I would observe an object and then try to think of all the words in your language which began with the same letter as its name.
    Alistair: That... wait. Just wait. You're joking again, aren't you?
    Sten: No.
    Alistair: You are not telling me that you played, "I Spy," against yourself for twenty days.
    Sten: There are a lot of things in Lothering that begin with, "G."

Zevran: So, your sheath is empty, then, my qunari friend?
    Sten: My sheath?
    Zevran: You do not seem to be rising to the occasion.
    Sten: I do not know which is worse, you or the dwarf.
    Zevran: Oh, I am, assuredly. He gets all his best lines from me.

Oghren: Lost your weapon, did you?
    Sten: What of it?
    Oghren: Swinging an empty scabbard, then?
    Sten: ...
    Oghren: Your pike was purloined?
    Sten: "Purloined?" Did you have to look that one up?
    Oghren: The elf gave me that one. You have to admit, it's good.
    Sten: (Sigh)

And those are just the less serious ones.

Hah the two with Oghren and Antonio Banderas-Elf

Oghren and Wynn have some pretty great dialogue too. I hope we get more extra-party banter in DA2, New Vegas is one of the first games I've seen it in and it's great (you're walking by some guy and your party member says something to them, or about them, or they say something to your party member)

Banter is probably the biggest thing I missed in ME2
    Wynne is one of my favorites. It's so easy to write her off as the boring Lawful Good one or whatever, but she has such a great, dry sense of humor to her, too. My favorite bit of banter is one involving her that most people don't ever see:

Zevran: Take a peek at that Circle mage. Must we speak of the allure of an older woman? She has lessons to teach us all, my friend.
    Wynne: You have no idea, little elf. Keep your imaginary hands to yourself.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I love most of Dragon Age, but I've found it necessary to get myself irresponsibly drunk any time I do the Fade.

So replaying this game may literally kill me.

Skip The Fade. Well, unless you're on 360.

Or, you know, that other system. :P

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I think I'll replay DAO at some point, but I don't want to do it again on the PS3 now that I have a competent PC. Plus, mods really, really sweeten the deal. But do I really want to sink another $50 into the game? Dear Steam, put this shit on sale so I'll have an easier time convincing myself.
    Is it illegal to torrent it on the PC if you have it on the 360? Not trying to start a debate, just curious because if you paid for the game you shouldn't have to pay for it again just to play it on the PC. But yeah I am sure there will be even more deals, I just followed cheapassgamer until I saw what I wanted.

Yes, it is definitely illegal.

I would say it's not immoral, but it's definitely illegal.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On the topic of party banter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKvkzMfomoI

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    The Zevran and Oghren prison break is the best thing ever.

Although Wynne bluffing her way past the one female guard is pretty great, too. She's all "I would be furious, if I were you. Here you are, in the prime of your life, reduced to guarding a door.

It's not even a very important door, either."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright guys. So I'm still trying to finish up the Master Warden and Blight Queller trophies. (PS3 version). I've read some different things about these trophies online and tried some different stuff and I don't seem to be getting it.

Apparently these trophies got bugged and/or changed in one of the patches. My understanding is that the original version allowed you to complete these across all play-throughs. But now it is tied to a single play-through and it only counts if your main character gets the killing blow.

On one of the XBox achievement sites, they recommend that you take a mage into the Elven Alienage of Denerim during the final battle and that you can use your mega AOE spells to farm a lot of kills. This site suggests that the game keeps a running tally on your main character outside of the game and that every time you reload the area, the count continues to go up.

I've reloaded a bunch on my PS3 version and nothing seems to be happening. By now I should be well past my 500 kills for Master Warden. Anyone know if this trick is supposed to work on PS3 also?

And is it possible to get the trophies while playing Awakening? If I can get it while playing Awakening I might just try that.

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2010
    It feels like the best party in the game is probably Shale, Wynne, Dog and yourself as a mage. Shale is just too fucking good, the dog is amazing as well and wynne is needed for heals. I can't stand using the dog and shale though, what fun is it using characters that don't use items? Half of the fun of an rpg is item collecting and now your party doesn't even benefit from items, that is idiotic.

Fizban140 on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dog is no replacement for another mage. Shale/PC mage/Wynn/Morrigan is unarguably easy mode (even on nightmare). Minding with that many spells the sheer beautiful devastation it caused was so great.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited November 2010
    I might be building my archer wrong but at level 12 with a pretty good bow she only hits for about 30 and crits for 40-50, what the hell is up with that? The damage seems quite low.

An all mage team seems like they would get destroyed fast from a lot of archers like you find in Ostragar. Right now I think Alistair as a tank does more damage than my PC mage.

Fizban140 on
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I might be building my archer wrong but at level 12 with a pretty good bow she only hits for about 30 and crits for 40-50, what the hell is up with that? The damage seems quite low.

An all mage team seems like they would get destroyed fast from a lot of archers like you find in Ostragar. Right now I think Alistair as a tank does more damage than my PC mage.

I've your tank is out damaging a mage in DAO you've made a horrific misstep somewhere along the way.

Archery sucking is kinda normal, but I played a dual wielding hasted arcane warrior and it was insane. Pretty much put shale in spell power buff mode, had wynne and morrigan fling AOEs, while the arcane warrior waded in and tore everyone left up. When I'd put any tank through that and they'd just immidiately die.

reddeath on
    edited November 2010
    I don't think I have done anything wrong with my character, all my points into int (48 I think now) and I have all the major DD spells. I cycle through them all and then sit there waiting for the cooldown to end and then do it again. Meanwhile Alistair swings away hitting for about 35-40 every hit with his amazing gear and I just watch. My spells will all hit for around 40 so I can't compete with that damage at all, I also put points into the last mage talent which didn't seem to help at all.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Mages are all about spell combos and instant death effects, like Cone of Cold and Stonefist for shatter. Or blizzard + lightning storm + earthquake (Perfect storm and shattering). Etc.

Aegeri on
    edited November 2010
    None of that is really explained in the game at all, that is strange. I have been trying spell combinations but nothing has worked, I guess freezing them with winters grasp isn't good enough.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Are you on the PC or 360? If you're on the PC I'd really recommend a combat rebalancing mod to make archers in line with other trees.

For spell combinations, try Glyph of Paralysis + Glyph of Repulsion. :winky:

Blurbl on
    edited November 2010
    I am on the PC, playing through at least once without any mods then I will try mods after.

Fizban140 on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The first time I did paralysis bomb I stunned my whole party and none of the enemy (the combo was unintentional). It took me a while to realise what had happened.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    None of that is really explained in the game at all, that is strange. I have been trying spell combinations but nothing has worked, I guess freezing them with winters grasp isn't good enough.

Right, it's specifically cone of cold that allows for shattering, it's also a broken spell in its own right

TIFunkalicious on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why do you guys consider the dog so good? I've never used him in my party, but the fact that he has no chatter options and no real interactive possibilities, he seems like a waste of a party slot. Why bring a non-talkative animal when I could have awesome dialogue options along the way?

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2010
    Exactly, and the dog doesn't really get any good items so there goes that whole aspect of the genre.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Dog's only okay, I agree.

But he has some awesome banters, so you need to take that back.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I use dog as a mage hunter. he runs up to mages then pounces on them and bites their face off. it works pretty well

GaryO on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I use Dog as a cover for when I put dead animals in Morrigan's underthings

Elendil on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    I use Dog as a cover for when I put dead animals in Morrigan's underthings

Stealing this for sig.

Astale on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dog is awesome for mages because of overwhelm shutting them down and pretty much killing them. Otherwise he stops being useful the further you get through the game. And crushing prison does the same thing.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    But, but, he's your dog.

Extra party member and everything!

I will never forget you, Pooky. You tore out the throats of so many elves.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Extra Dog Slot mod. Oh mods, are there any problem you can't solve?

Didn't someone post a few screenshots of a playthrough with every recruitable party member battling the sloth demon at once via a mod? Which was that?

Blurbl on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That was a compilation affair he detailed in a spoiler a little later. Some assembly required.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The Zevran and Oghren prison break is the best thing ever.

Although Wynne bluffing her way past the one female guard is pretty great, too. She's all "I would be furious, if I were you. Here you are, in the prime of your life, reduced to guarding a door.

It's not even a very important door, either."

I really wish there was a video of Zevran and Wynne for that entire sequence.

Youtube has missed it

Antithesis on
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And I just finished Landsmeet...
    Dear god, Alistair is such a whiny bitch that I'm seriously considering keeping Loghain.
    "Weren't you two supposed to get married?"
    "But he killed Duncaaaann..." /cry

I swear, at that moment I truly wished that there was an option to drag him in to the adjacent room by the collar of his armor and slap some sense into him.

OldSlacker on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that's my main issue with the story.
    Making Logain a Grey Warden just makes so much more sense than killing him. And if you make him kill the archdemon, he dies a hero, you and Alistair both survive and Morrigan doesn't get her demon baby. Everybody wins.

But whhaaaa he killed Duncan.

I could understand him leaving the group if he was mature about it, maybe telling you to go to hell and going off to help Denerim's forces seperate from you or something, but pissing off from the blight entirely and becoming a drunk? What?

The whole thing reeks of letting the player have only one tanking character in the party at once.

Blurbl on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Making Logain a Grey Warden just makes so much more sense than killing him. And if you make him kill the archdemon, he dies a hero, you and Alistair both survive and Morrigan doesn't get her demon baby. Everybody wins.

I could understand him leaving the group if he was mature about it, maybe telling you to go to hell and going off to help Denerim's forces seperate from you or something, but pissing off from the blight entirely and becoming a drunk? What?

The whole thing reeks of letting the player have only one tanking character in the party at once.

That's kind of what I like about it though. In real life people are definitely whiny babies that sometimes don't want you to get your way, refuse to see things from any other perspective, and will flip their shit and leave for completely illogical reasons sometimes.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that was actually a very human response from him.

Aegeri on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »

That's kind of what I like about it though. In real life people are definitely whiny babies that sometimes don't want you to get your way, refuse to see things from any other perspective, and will flip their shit and leave for completely illogical reasons sometimes.

To be fair to Alistair, at that point in the story neither he nor the Warden has any idea what the "rules" are for killing an archdemon.
    I mean yeah, if Alistair knew that killing an archdemon spelled suicide for a Gray Warden, why wouldn't he want Loghain to be there to bite the bullet?

But at that point in the story, you're basically agreeing to let bygones be bygones and bring on the guy whose actions led to the deaths of Alistair's father figure along with hundreds if not thousands of soldiers and a king. Over the course of the story Loghain reveals himself to be a treacherous, power-hungry bastard who isn't above backstabbing the people he's supposed to serve, suppressing and/or murdering dissidents (possibly including his own daughter), allying with sycophantic weasels and slavers, and making idiotic tactical decisions based on bare-faced xenophobia and arrogance in his own ability. This is a man who'd sooner see his country raped and killed by the darkspawn than enter into a defensive alliance with the Orlesians. Would you trust a guy like that to cover your six?

In my first run through the story I absolutely wasn't willing to let Loghain off so easily, and it makes perfect sense that Alistair would object so strongly given his established moral sensibilities. (Alistair, for instance, feels horrible for leaving the people of Lothering to the darkspawn even though he knew it was more important to attend to the Gray Warden treaties -- he and Loghain pretty much lie on completely opposite ends of the utilitarian spectrum.)

I agree that it's a whiny bitch move for Alistair to abandon the fight completely and piss away his life in a bar, though.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I generally agree with ChopperDave. Alistair becoming a debauched na'er-do-well is obviously not to his credit, but being against letting Loghain off the hook is an entirely reasonable position based on the information available at that point.

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I generally agree with ChopperDave.

Who wouldn't? I mean he was magnificent in that film where he became a werewolf.

Also I think people here are really not giving credit for the whole fact Alistair lost everything to the blight due to Loghains actions. He was almost forced into a position he never wanted or cared for - until he thought that Loghain might survive the justice he arguably deserved. I mean we have a sort of "Divine" position, but from Alistairs point of view he just got screwed by the only family/people that he trusts and lost everyone else. It's not hard to see why someone could be bitter and twisted, not accepting the way events played out and end up like he did.

Aegeri on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. I mean...just think about it this way.

Say you had a man who basically killed all your family and friends to serve his own purposes. You're by yourself with this new guy and have basically been tasked with saving the world since you believe everyone else who could do it is probably dead. So, that being important and all, you decide to put away your thoughts of revenge for the sake of people not dying.

Everything is going along fine until you meet up with the ass who killed all the people you ever cared about and all those emotions you'd put aside so far come bubbling back up. Then to make it worse, the new guy you're traveling with has decided to bring him along in your merry band.

I know you're probably thinking "Well, saving the world is more important." and that's true, but again people aren't completely logic-based in their responses and one might not be ready to forgive and cooperate that easily.

Heck, the whole reason Loghain fucked things up with the Darkspawn in the first place is because he didn't want to forgive and cooperate with the Orlesians.

Dragkonias on