As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starfighter!

12346»

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From page one of this thread:
    Mustang wrote: »
    No no no, less is more.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jake! wrote: »
    Seeing this side by side with the original design, it's difficult to see where all the time went.

I keep telling you guys, I didn't spend that much time on it. I was thirty hours in when I brought it here, and I've only added another ten hours or so since then.

To put it another way; you took ten hours to go 20 backwards. As for suggestions next time; make sure you want to buy a car before you spend time making decisions on the cup holders.

Jake! on
  • Options
    Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At a certain point of course, my satisfaction trumps your dissatisfaction. I feel this model has dramatically improved during it's time here, and I'm quite happy with the end result. By every meaningful metric, I've succeeded, with your help, and I thank you 8-)

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Brain storming now for my next project: A broken fighter in a workshop.

Right now I'm thinking it's a big round room with a pit at the center. Cluttered, dusty, greasy, with the broken fighter suspended from chains at the center below a large overhead hood/fan.

I'm also pondering weather to make the broken fighter from scratch, or tear apart an old model.

Thirdly I want to make a hovering robot the size and shape of a hamburger, with a variety of retractable tools and a diagnostic interface. It needs to NOT look like R2-D2.

I think I'll keep all my work for this scene in this thread, so WiPs to follow.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Now I'm considering a cylindrical anti-gravity chamber at the center of the work shop. The fighter would hang, weightless, while she jets around it somehow patching it up and running diagnostics.

I'm letting my 10 year old daughter design a a little robot that transforms into a bracelet.

Any thoughts on a means of moving around nimbly in Zero-G?

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I recommend starting with some visual development sketches. You can work out all the little ideas there to see what jives and what doesn't before jumping into modeling.

If you're working on an environment for the workshop, do some orthographic sketches to get a good sense of the architecture so you have a solid road map before you get started.

These sketches don't have to be perfect or polished, but it'll do a lot of the heavy lifting and save you trouble down the line.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I recommend starting with some visual development sketches. You can work out all the little ideas there to see what jives and what doesn't before jumping into modeling.

If you're working on an environment for the workshop, do some orthographic sketches to get a good sense of the architecture so you have a solid road map before you get started.

These sketches don't have to be perfect or polished, but it'll do a lot of the heavy lifting and save you trouble down the line.

I'll do that. I also have a bunch of doodles on a hard drive around here somewhere that I've been meaning to upload to my website. I'll post some here too.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Finally finished a concept draft of the work shop:
    recycling_room_wip01.jpg
    Bigger: http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/recycling_room/recycling_room_wip01_big.jpg

I know it's a bit rough. My tablet work needs a lot of... work.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Increased contrast and re-uploaded.

Another, smaller blue beam, controlled by the bracelet robot, will pick up parts and swap them in and out of the primary field.

I'm a PC tech, and my work area is essentially a circular wall of kvm switches, broken computers in the process of being repaired, and broken computers from which to scavenge parts. I'm trying to envision the same setup only with fighter craft instead of computers.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sounds like my job. Though my stack of broken things is behind a wall.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    That concept piece is great :^:

I like the idea of a ring of derelict crafts around the main work area, though you may want to make it a broken ring somewhere in there so it makes sense where people and things can move to and fro.

Good work though.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    Sounds like my job. Though my stack of broken things is behind a wall.

Sounds like mine too. Except when we have 3+ broken ones, we light them on fire and dance around them to appease the PC gods. It rarely works, but at least we get to be naked.

Fuzzy, I'm liking the new piece. I actually am a pretty big fan of that fighter design. It's simple, but elegantly intimidating.

:^:

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Added a holographic interface, a walkway, and a few more highlights in the parts piles.

recycling_room_02web.jpg

Bigger: http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/recycling_room/recycling_room_02.jpg

[edit] I ought to make the fighter she's working on look more beat up. Cracks, carbon scoring and more dangling severed cables.

[edit] Added more wear and damage. Re-uploading...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like my uncles giant car workshop.

m3nace on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe have a giant robotic arm hanging from the ceiling on the background/either side as the obvious way of moving junk to the anti gravity area?

Aim on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    m3nace wrote: »
    Looks like my uncles giant car workshop.

I've always wanted a giant car, then I'd show those jerk compacts and their stupid economy figures.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The more I think about this project, the more I envision a parts catalog:

Motorcycle-Parts-Catalog-25.jpg
    Motorcycle-Parts-Catalog-22.jpg

If I do this right, when I'm done I'll not only have a complete scene for the comic book, but a huge collection of interchangeable parts for use in future projects.

Engines, weapons, wings, fuselages, everything I might need to slap together a spaceship fast. I'll need to do a series of more and less damaged texture variations for this scene, and while I'm at it I can create alternate texture sets for different factions too.

It will be more work initially, as I'll want to make them higher quality than if they were just background junk for this one, dimly lit scene, but I think the extra work now will pay off later.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm working on a parts list. You guys wanna help me think of things to include?

Energy/Kinetic Weapons
    Special Weapons
    Turrets
    Countermeasures
    Missiles/Rockets/Pods
    Wings
    Reactors
    Wiring
    Thrusters/Engines
    Cockpits
    Windows
    Sensors/Dishes/Antennas
    Cloaking Device
    Shield Emitters
    Armor
    Access Panels
    Blisters
    Landing Gear
    Fuselages
    Cargo
    Grappling Arm
    Tractor Beam
    ...what else?...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    power converters and moisture vaporators... obviously

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Made some progress. At first I was thinking everything would connect with sockets:

doodles_web.jpg

-but thinking afterword, that seemed like it would limit my ability to scale parts relative to one another, so while I was in the waiting room of my daughter's orthodontist I doodled these:
    doodles2_web.jpg

Based on those, I started modeling, and have produced these:
    partspile01.jpg

That's 39 parts I think. I'll probably make 100-200 before I start texturing.
    ninjai wrote: »
    power converters and moisture vaporators... obviously

Power converters yes, moisture vaporators make sense on Tatooine, but not so much in space :p

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    how about a binary load lifter, they're very similar to moisture vaporators...

ninjai on