As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The graphics were uneven. Some of the textures were bad.

Couscous on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everyone has a really smooth face, even the old people. No one blinks, it's creepy. Everyone is kinda stiff. And then there's that knife that appears out of nowhere the 1 hit kills everything.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only thing I noticed in particular was the lack of skin texture and the low-res environment textures. The latter was fixed by a mod, thankfully.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited November 2010
    Everyone has a really smooth face, even the old people. No one blinks, it's creepy. Everyone is kinda stiff. And then there's that knife that appears out of nowhere the 1 hit kills everything.

Everyone also had perfect bodies, even the old people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q94rdV9M1M4
    Around 3:06. The darkspawn looks nice while the the rocks look horrible.

Couscous on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    The graphics were uneven. Some of the textures were bad.

Yeah, but unlike a certain other game, it was the unimportant textures which were low res. So it didn't break the verisimilitude nearly as much as making (for a completely random example that has nothing to do with that picture I posted earlier) a NPC with noticeably worse textureing than the wall behind him take up the whole screen.

And quite frankly, I didn't bother with that texture mod because it made the background textures look too good, so that they'd be distracting from the actual important stuff.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Wynne was far too fuckable for a seventy year old woman. That's a glitch if ever there was one.

CaptainNemo on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Can you romance Wynne? I didn't even try after failing to bang Dr. Chakwas in two seperate games.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Wynne was far too fuckable for a seventy year old woman. That's a glitch if ever there was one.

sp148.jpg

Couscous on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Contrary to what you may think after spending (too much) time on the Dragon Age threat, no, you cannot "make funtiems" with Wynne.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited November 2010
    Chakwas has an excuse, what with 22nd century medical advances.

CaptainNemo on
    edited November 2010
    Chakwas has an excuse, what with 22nd century medical advances.

Cosmetic magic is the most popular form of magic!

Couscous on
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seriously, she doesn't even look that old. Looks more like a 40 something year old if you ask me.

EVOL on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Am I the only one who doesn't really care about how good or bad the graphics are in these games? Rocks and straps with low resolution textures are not going to ruin nor impede my enjoyment of the game(s).

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited November 2010
    I just prefer consistency.

Couscous on
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    I just prefer consistency.

Which is entirely what I was saying that DAO did better in it's approach

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did anyone else catch the banter with Wynne and Alistair in Return to Ostagar? That was.. unexpected.

(Ostagar and Return to Ostagar mild spoilers)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbYEXh9IpPQ Especially at 1:18

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wynne and Alistair have the best banters.

Or maybe Wynne and Oghren.

Or Wynne and Zevran.

...are you sensing a pattern, here?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't really care about how good or bad the graphics are in these games? Rocks and straps with low resolution textures are not going to ruin nor impede my enjoyment of the game(s).

Meh. You know I used to be the same way, but now that I think about it, why wouldn't I want my games to look nicer?

I mean bad graphics aren't going to stop me from playing a good game(they'll hurt my eyes though). So if given the choice I would like a good game that is good too look at too.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2010
    Unless the graphics are horrible, I won't even notice. I was looking at the side-by-side comparisons of the JBTextures mod and it honestly took me a while to notice a difference. I like my games to look good, but there's a certain threshold apparently, and after that I just don't notice.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Unless the graphics are horrible, I won't even notice. I was looking at the side-by-side comparisons of the JBTextures mod and it honestly took me a while to notice a difference.

Really?

The original textures didn't really detract from the experience but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate better ones.

Jimmy Marku on
    edited November 2010
    Okay, I didn't see that shot. I was looking at "one screenshot original" vs "one screenshot JBT" not "half screenshot original" vs "other half of same screenshot JBT"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    The story in ME1 was much better, didn't really like the second one well...felt too much like The Empire Strikes Back, maybe the third one will pick up better. Although most of the characters were pretty well done, although it was severely lacking in lesbian alien sex scenes and Tali ass shots.

I think it would have been hilarious for the Tali romance where he gets her suit off and you get to see her in all her chitinous, mucus covered, sinewy glory and then Sheppard struggles to keep from vomiting

override367 on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So is the game easier on the PC or something? I'm constantly checking that I'm actually playing on Nightmare.

I don't think any party members have died since I gave Morrigan the first heal spell.

Blurbl on
    edited November 2010
    The story in ME1 was much better, didn't really like the second one well...felt too much like The Empire Strikes Back, maybe the third one will pick up better. Although most of the characters were pretty well done, although it was severely lacking in lesbian alien sex scenes and Tali ass shots.

I think it would have been hilarious for the Tali romance where he gets her suit off and you get to see her in all her chitinous, mucus covered, sinewy glory and then Sheppard struggles to keep from vomiting
    Its all about the chitinous ass, in all its glory.
    Blurbl wrote: »
    So is the game easier on the PC or something? I'm constantly checking that I'm actually playing on Nightmare.

I don't think any party members have died since I gave Morrigan the first heal spell.

How far are you? The beginning is really easy but things get harder at a few points in the game, I have people die all the time on normal.

Fizban140 on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Near the beginning, just finished defending Recliffe after doing all the DLC missions I could.

I'm sure I was constantly wiping at this point at Normal on the 360.

Blurbl on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DAO's graphics weren't so much outright bad as they were (as has been said) uneven, somewhat dated-looking, and just generally unimpressive and uninspired.

Part of the problem was that the overall artistic design of the game was so almost completely by-the-numbers medieval fantasy with no particular creativity or risk-taking (possibly even more so than Oblivion, which took some crap for it following on the giant mushroom-dotted landscapes of Morrowind).

Basically, the game didn't offend my eyes so much as it bored them a bit, and there were areas where my frame rate started to chug and I found myself looking around in vain for some sort of spectacle to justify the uneven performance and finding only the same old "What if Middle Earth was drabber and browner" thought exercise I found everywhere else.

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    DAO's graphics weren't so much outright bad as they were (as has been said) uneven, somewhat dated-looking, and just generally unimpressive and uninspired.

Part of the problem was that the overall artistic design of the game was so almost completely by-the-numbers medieval fantasy with no particular creativity or risk-taking (possibly even more so than Oblivion, which took some crap for it following on the giant mushroom-dotted landscapes of Morrowind).

Basically, the game didn't offend my eyes so much as it bored them a bit, and there were areas where my frame rate started to chug and I found myself looking around in vain for some sort of spectacle to justify the uneven performance.

The art direction was perfect, that is what it was suppose to be. Bleak and depressing, its a world with slavery and magic is looked down on. This isn't the standard fantasy world.

Fizban140 on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This isn't the standard fantasy world.

Then why does it look exactly like one?

I don't think you understood the point of my post at all.

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    It is your standard fantasy world with slightly more "realism." Hell, that isn't even unusual at this point thanks to GRRM and the like.

Couscous on
    edited November 2010
    It hasn't been done too often in fantasy RPGs, at least done well. The standard fantasy world would be more like the original BG2 or Everquest. At least to me, standard fantasy is generally bright, colorful and fantastic. This game isn't that at all, all the massively impressive buildings have been run down and crumbled or are in some far away land and you only hear stories of them.

Fizban140 on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't have a problem with the graphics, but he's saying it looked boring. That's bad no matter what it was going for.

Xeddicus on
    edited November 2010
    If you are limiting it to fantasy RPGs, that includes all five of the recent ones. Drakengard makes DA:O look like a happy fun time romp.

Couscous on
    edited November 2010
    Drakengard? Doesn't that game have around a 60 on metacritic?

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »

Basically, the game didn't offend my eyes so much as it bored them a bit, and there were areas where my frame rate started to chug and I found myself looking around in vain for some sort of spectacle to justify the uneven performance and finding only the same old "What if Middle Earth was drabber and browner" thought exercise I found everywhere else.

Framerate issues? Which platform did you play it on?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

What does Metacritic have to do with World Design? But we also have to see here that Drakengards world was as crazy depressing as you can possibly get.

Anyway, I had no problem with DAO's graphics though I found the textures to be "disconnected". It's hard to explain.

C2B on
    edited November 2010
    C2B wrote: »

What does Metacritic have to do with World Design? But we also have to see here that Drakengards world was as crazy depressing as you can possibly get.

Anyway, I had no problem with DAO's graphics though I found the textures to be "disconnected". It's hard to explain.

It is a terrible game that has nothing to note except that it looked cool, who gives a shit.

If you can't make a game look good and be fun then it really doesn't matter, its like making a really cool car that runs like shit and breaks right away.

Fizban140 on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It is a terrible game that has nothing to note except that it looked cool, who gives a shit.

If you can't make a game look good and be fun then it really doesn't matter, its like making a really cool car that runs like shit and breaks right away.

D:

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Basil wrote: »

D:

Basil! Basil! He hasn't played it or not even read a Let's Play. You can't blame him for not knowing.

C2B on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I . . . I guess you're right.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

There was a nice mod to make Wynn into younger Wynn with black hair, she looked nice.

Ahem.

Anyways....

Conflicted on Dragon Age 2, not a fan of everything they're changing to the game because it seems like they're trying to stuff Mass Effect into it, I hated Mass Effect, I thought it was boring stupid uninspired and highly over rated crap. And I love space games, this should have been a game I liked, I didn't, at all. Dragon Age turned out be a very enjoyable game to me but from everything seen and heard so far says it's going to be Dragon Effect more then anything for the sequel.

If you want to buy the game then pre ordering gets you some extra goodies and stuff so half debating if should do so or not. Can always cancel later depending on impressions right?

And the game might be good. Maybe....possibly....it's within the realm of possibility no?

Also Isabelle looked so much better in Dragon Age even if a bit generic, they really did butcher her. Hopefully someone can mod her to make her look less turd like unless they butcher the mod capability as some fear.

Cade on