As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How are the Skaven then?

Glal on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Iron Rock has been pretty hot and heavy recently. Most people are out in the RvR lakes instead of doing scenarios though. When I did start queuing for them in T4 they seemed to pop every few minutes. But even before the patch I wouldn't go in because of the oRvR. But since some of the better weapons are tied to scenarios, I'll bet you'll get a ton of them in.

Also you can't really think of the Skaven as a class or race, pretty much they're just mobs you control in open RvR. Pretty powerful mobs though, with a lot of utility.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Avynte wrote: »
    The only thing that's been bothering me so far is the massive stalemates that occur near the end of a push.

Each side seems to grab a pairing, then on the last zone before a city, it just stalls, for hours at a time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though that the zerg staredown over a doorway is just because everyone is still learning the system.

I think we were stuck on the N keep of KV this evening for over 2 hours D:

Yeah i noticed the same thing. I think it's because when that one keep is what is preventing a city lock everybody on the defending side gets in that keep to defend, and it becomes some impenetrable fortress because there are so many people inside. A lot of people don't realise they would be better off attacking the enemy fortress which is likely undefended and taking it first to take the zone. But then it's just a door DPS race.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited November 2010
    Avynte wrote: »
    The only thing that's been bothering me so far is the massive stalemates that occur near the end of a push.

Each side seems to grab a pairing, then on the last zone before a city, it just stalls, for hours at a time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though that the zerg staredown over a doorway is just because everyone is still learning the system.

I think we were stuck on the N keep of KV this evening for over 2 hours D:

Yeah i noticed the same thing. I think it's because when that one keep is what is preventing a city lock everybody on the defending side gets in that keep to defend, and it becomes some impenetrable fortress because there are so many people inside. A lot of people don't realise they would be better off attacking the enemy fortress which is likely undefended and taking it first to take the zone. But then it's just a door DPS race.

Forts have been out for awhile, but apparently in a devtalk they were thinking about bringing them back.

And although the last keep becomes pretty insane, the attackers have a few things going for them.

Rat Ogres can spill oil on the defenders.
    Manticores/Griffins and bombers (from the upgraded attacking keep) can AoE anyone on top.
    MDPS can finally make themselves useful and bypass in.
    And once the inner door is down the defenders have to run back to the keep instead of spawning at the top.

Hard, but doable. All the other keeps seem to fall faster as people are trying to lock zones as quickly as possible. I'd rather spend two hours on the last keep than two plus hours per zone.

Malkor on
    edited November 2010
    I completely agree Malkor. I think the new system is LOADS better than the previuos one. Even if it does take 2 hours, it just means more RP when the zone locks.

I think i'm going to make a point of getting seige weapons now. It seems the only weapons that are used are the ram and aerial bombers. Though most people seem to be using the bombers as a means of getting into the keep and don't actually bomb with them.

ghost_master2000 on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really like the single target siege weapons.

Once the outer is down it's great for sniping people on the inner keep since you can even set it up by the oil. 3 Shots to take down a BW from full, or 2 if he's slightly damaged makes me very happy :mrgreen:

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited November 2010
    The aoe seige weapon still does knockbacks right? Seems like something that would be great to knock large groups of people off the inner wall.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited November 2010
    Also Rat Ogres can toss people up on the walls.

Malkor on
    edited November 2010
    The aoe seige weapon still does knockbacks right? Seems like something that would be great to knock large groups of people off the inner wall.

The free ones you get from the 'parking lot' don't do any knockback, but i reckon the ones you buy with ordinance still do.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited November 2010
    What's this?
    [IMG][/img]Skaven1.jpgSkaven2.jpgSkaven3.jpg

Malkor on
    edited November 2010
    That's a sweet engy you've got there.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rggghggghghgh.

I don't have the time for this. But...

Rgggggghhhghgggggg.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    My desire to resubscribe is tempered by the knowledge that I'd need to grind 25 more RR levels on my WL before gaining access to Skaven. Can't think of many things less fun than that.

Glal on
    edited November 2010
    NOPE

After 15-30 mins they're accessible to everyone. I think I mentioned it before, but it's not like you have a Skaven character so much. You basically control a pseudo-champ while in the RvR lake. Hopefully that'll change though because Gutter Runners are the bestest.

Malkor on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm happy they didn't call Gutter Runners what almost every Tom, Dick and Idiot wanted to call them...

Assassin.

Yeah... lets not use the kick-ass Skaven name. Lets go generic. Those people can rot.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm happy they didn't call Gutter Runners what almost every Tom, Dick and Idiot wanted to call them...

Assassin.

Yeah... lets not use the kick-ass Skaven name. Lets go generic. Those people can rot.

Rot in the gutter, where they got assassinated, by Gutter Runners.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Assassin.

Rot in the gutter, where they got assassinated, by Gutter Runners.

:^:

Even if it's really fun, I'm not sure I can justify fifteen bucks a month just to run around and control a Warlock Engineer mob. On the other hand...

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    NOPE

After 15-30 mins they're accessible to everyone. I think I mentioned it before, but it's not like you have a Skaven character so much. You basically control a pseudo-champ while in the RvR lake. Hopefully that'll change though because Gutter Runners are the bestest.
    Oh reeeeally now... earlier in the thread someone said RR60 was a requirement.

When you said control, is it like LoTRO's monster play? You can choose to play a prebuilt Skaven character with preset abilities in the RVR lake, instead of your own character? Or is it a limited time power-up type thing?

[edit] Huh, just went reading through the FAQ. You get 30 days playtime for each new subscriber you bring in? So there's absolutely no reason to pay a subscription fee when you can just make a new account for yourself and gain bonuses at the same time? That's hilarious.
    Do US Recruit-a-Friend things apply to EU +60 days expired accounts? I don't intend to resubscribe right now, but I would like to give the endless trial a spin on my old account, and I figure that if I do end up subscribing the fine gent that gives me the code would likely still benefit from it, yes? Or is the recruitment subscription on a timer?

Glal on
    edited November 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    NOPE

Oh reeeeally now... earlier in the thread someone said RR60 was a requirement.

When you said control, is it like LoTRO's monster play? You can choose to play a prebuilt Skaven character with preset abilities in the RVR lake, instead of your own character? Or is it a limited time power-up type thing?

[edit] Huh, just went reading through the FAQ. You get 30 days playtime for each new subscriber you bring in? So there's absolutely no reason to pay a subscription fee when you can just make a new account for yourself and gain bonuses at the same time? That's hilarious.
    Do US Recruit-a-Friend things apply to EU +60 days expired accounts? I don't intend to resubscribe right now, but I would like to give the endless trial a spin on my old account, and I figure that if I do end up subscribing the fine gent that gives me the code would likely still benefit from it, yes? Or is the recruitment subscription on a timer?

Send me a PM and we'll see if it works. Something tells me that you'd have to play on my sever (Iron Rock) though.

It is like monster play. As long as you stay in the RvR lake you have control over the character. But there's a total of 10(?) per side, so you'd have to be quick once it opens up or wait your turn.

Malkor on
    edited November 2010
    Sent!

Glal on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so about them guilds and invites re: them

PiptheFair on
    edited November 2010
    If you have a character on Iron Rock I can invite you to The Six Mouths. I don't play much on that character, but I'd definitely be willing to pewpew some faces.

Malkor on
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I ressubed a week ago myself, games as fun as I recall but I was hoping for more after close to 2 years.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I agree, especially since I've been doing T4 end-game content a few times a day in the past week.

There's literally nothing left except killing mans, which is OK for now I guess.

Malkor on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I came back to it. One thing I noticed was the tiers for scenarios and the lake has changed.
    RvR Tiers
    We've adjusted the levels allowed within the RvR lakes at each tier. The following are the new values:
    Tier 1: Level 1 -15
    Tier 2: Level 12-26
    Tier 3: Level 22-39
    Tier 4: Level 40
    These values will govern the application of the 'coward's reward' buff that will chicken players if they are too high for a given lake. Bolsters have been adjusted to reflect these new values.
    Scenarios brackets have also been adjusted to these new levels. Tier 1 scenarios will be from 1-15, Tier 2 will from 16-26, Tier 3 will be from 27-39, and Tier 4 will be for 40.

So...no more scenarios with level 40's while you are levelling from 31 onwards.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited December 2010
    Why didn't they just add an extra tier for level 40s? The 10 level spread was painful enough as it was.

Glal on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Uh. Other than the 1-15 the others aren't that bad in the case of scenarios, where levels make a real difference.
    And you get bolstered to the top level anyway.

For ORvR numbers and tactics > levels.

In fact have a think about this.
    the old ten level spread was set up so that the last few levels of the tier had some drastic power increases. The extra tactic slot, getting just enough mastery points to get a class defining ability and so on. This current set up is actually well thought out.

1-15 -> you level so fast all this does is make the horror levels of the early teens non existent. You'll completely forget about the miniscule time you spend in 1-8 because of all the fun you'll have in 8-15.

16-26 -> at 16 I think you get your full obliterator set. You they take you out of tier 1 before you get obliterator and then punt you up to tier 3 before you get devastator.

18 is a class defining tactic (str, will power tactics). 20 and 21 are in the middle of this curve, flattening out the top heavy power of the old 10 level spread. 20-26 is nowhere near as big a difference as 15-21. So they've flattened out this tier nicely in terms of gear, mastery and tactics.

27-39 -> Same as the prior tier. Annihilator is primarily defensive for the most part, and you can't really get the level 40 gobsmacking weapons until you are basically level 40. 39 weapons are definitely good but nothing a bolster buff can't handle. You'd probably find most people still wearing the offensive devastator rather than the defensive annihilator, except maybe healers. Around 27-31 you get your best skills in your primary mastery tree, but after that the secondary tree is more for rounding out the character rather than giving you a massive increase in power (otherwise you'd get that one as primary, wouldn't you?). In all cases you need 40 to get that last mastery point to grab the 10 point ability in your secondary tree unless you make sacrifices in the primary tree. Things below that aren't really huge (with some exceptions).
    So again, this is flattened out gear, mastery and tactics wise.

I can't see anything to complain about here if you actually have a handle on the fundamentals of the game mechanics.

On top of all this niceness, renown rank abilities are not tiered anymore. So you can pump wounds from rr lvl 1, for example, and it's as cheap as pumping str, wis, etc is now. Or start getting melee crit the second you get 5 rr for the first tier of it. They've also added some pimping new ones, like letting you buff dodge and disrupt at the same cost as a primary stat. Great for melee. Parry is the same cost as a primary stat as well. Block too. Very cheap to get these up early.
    So if you are having some specific problems you can also make some clever and meaningful RR choices to shore up whatever weaknesses you might have.

None of these ranks come anywhere CLOSE to the problem of letting 32's fight level 40's and they're more flattened out for the majority of the game than they used to be.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited December 2010
    Fair enough. Hopefully this will make it less painful to be MDPS in the spread where you suddenly have like 5 levels where you're getting snared by every single thing under the sun and you just stand there, twiddling your thumbs, unable to do anything about it. Unless they shifted abilities around since so that doesn't happen any more (because that was total bullshit).

Glal on
    edited December 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Fair enough. Hopefully this will make it less painful to be MDPS in the spread where you suddenly have like 5 levels where you're getting snared by every single thing under the sun and you just stand there, twiddling your thumbs, unable to do anything about it. Unless they shifted abilities around since so that doesn't happen any more (because that was total bullshit).

Oh no.

You're still gonna be snared left and right all day, all night.

Malkor on
    edited December 2010
    Such. Bullshit.

Glal on
  • WhitePowerWhitePower __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow this shitty game is still kicking? And receiving updates? I thought it had been shut down, haven't heard anything about it. Maybe I was thinking of that space shooter MMO or something.

WhitePower on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    and his name is whitepower

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2010
    I hate White Power Bill. :(

Glal on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just started a Marauder on Iron Rock named Tzarok and I would like to be invited to TSM some time in the near future. I used to have a DoK named Mestepula in TSM however upon logging in today I realized that she is no longer a member, I'm not entirely sure I will play her anymore anyways so, no big deal anyways.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't play on Iron Rock. I would roll on badlands and not worry about a penny arcade presence. There isn't a substantial one.

Morninglord on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I play on Iron Rock. My old char is still in TSM, but my new main is in a different guild. A guild with people.

Malkor on
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    *dusts off old thread*

$5 on Impulse:

http://www.impulsedriven.com/waronline

Worth it to play just for 1 month you think? :?

Tremblay on
    edited May 2011
    There's a free "endless" trial. I'd say do that before wasting $5.

Malkor on
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aah... well, would you look at that... an endless trial...

Thanks! :^:

Tremblay on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh yes, there's definitely a month's worth of content in here before you grow tired of it and go back to WOW...

Fairchild on