As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cartoon Drawings NSFW

travistravistravistravis Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Artist's Corner
http://thehappyskull.webs.com/

Hello

i have moved everything to my new website and new things will go there also. It's a lot easier to manage. The other thread had become massively bloated so I hope it is ok to start a new one. I plan to post just as many drawings and it would just take people too long to scan through them all.

Anyway I have new drawings coming and old ones updated they just need to be inked etc.

travistravis on

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    when you post a new thread, you have to post images in it. you can't just post links to your site.

beavotron on
  • travistravistravistravis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    amano.jpg

well images will be posted here but the best of the rest is collated there. The old thread should have dissapeared soon anyway.

travistravis on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah i understand you wanna post your work and all, but the point of this forum is to get crits and stuff on your current work or WIPs. it's not really just a showcase forum
    so if there's specific stuff you want critted from your website, post it here. and it'll get crits
    it's really not a gallery forum so much as a "hey this is what i'm currently working on, give me feedback so i can make it better and improve" forum. ... man it's hard to say that in one breath hahah.

beavotron on
    edited October 2010
    oomega29greyscale44toned2.jpg

monotankttgtgfghgh.jpg

clouddragon.jpg

minitank.jpg

roundy.jpg

turtleocto.jpg

zombie.jpg

travistravis on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I like this one
    turtleocto.jpg

and the first one in the post because they feel like more of a composition than most of your other works. I really like your crazy objects, but feel like they are loosing some potential to be really cool well balanced pictures when they are sorta just stuck in the middle page. I wish they were like comic panels, or more narrative illustrations, anything that would let me into this world and inform me about whats going on. With out it, I think the works are too similar to one another.

I hope that makes sense.

Iruka on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A very teeny-tiny critique:

Rather than copy-pasting the same black marker spot over and over again to cover a space...(the marker spot has obvious variations of value inside it)...just go over the entire black space with a brush, digitally. It'll smooth out that entire space and make it a flat spot of black, like it was intended. :)

NightDragon on
  • AlecxantAlecxant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    some people don't digitally alter their work. I think you lose something when you go over something done with a traditional media with a program, even if it is just making a black are, more uniformly black. but thats just my bias.

Alecxant on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The machines and organic shapes you've made them into reminds me of Masamune Shirow's work with things like Ghost in the Shell. He also does very complex inner wires and organic shapes on top. Of course your stuff is far more surreal than his, which is a nice change of pace.

Arden Canelo on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alecxant wrote: »
    some people don't digitally alter their work. I think you lose something when you go over something done with a traditional media with a program, even if it is just making a black are, more uniformly black. but thats just my bias.

In that case, he should consider using something like acrylic black ink instead of markers.

If you're showing something on the computer - something that originally needs to be scanned, it is an incredibly bad idea to not digitally alter it in some way. Most scans end up looking low-contrast, muddy, and have specks of dust all over them. You have to up the contrast and remove the specks to even make it look like the original, sometimes.

While I completely agree with you about this for most other cases (something that was painted, for instance), I think that the purpose here was to make flat blacks exactly that - flat and black...like in comics. And I can pretty much guarantee you that the majority of comic pages are digitally altered so that they will print well (they'd be using ink anyway, though, not marker). I just think that due to the medium, and what the OP is aiming for, digital alteration would be highly beneficial.

It looks like the OP actually already did alter that last piece by going over an area with white (the background is just very slightly offwhite, and viewing it at an angle on my monitor makes it much more apparent). :)

NightDragon on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alecxant wrote: »

Never forget that ANY scanner/ camera also interprets the artwork in its own unique way. pressing scan does nog make a digital exact copy of your artwork. All it does is show how your scan hardware/ drivers/ software interpret your work.

not editing = allowing your camera or scanner to choose.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Shariku OnikageShariku Onikage Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Blacks aside, it's some nice work. Interesting figures/creatures/some-kind-of-tower-in-the-water-thingy with intriguing mixes of bizarre/bulging anatomy.

There's a sort of Appleseed feeling herebut you've mixed it in nicely with fantasy concepts as well. Good work.

Shariku Onikage on
    edited October 2010
    If you turn the contrast right up the edges go a bit jaggy, I don't want to give too much away but the colouring usually sorts it out. The choppier bits are windsor and newton india ink. The rest is whatever in pentel use. It's smooth and even if a bit grey. I know for a fact Tim Townsends' look like that before he whacks the contrast right up, seen it, seen it. I've seen other inks from on Chris Bachalo up close too, same story. I wanted to buy it but it was the one thing not for damn sale.

Anyway note taken I'll sort it.

travistravis on
    edited October 2010
    SKMBT_C20310103013180_0003.jpg

SKMBT_C20310103013180_0001.jpg

jj.jpg

Happy Halloween

travistravis on
    edited November 2010
    mell13a.jpg

i redrew this, just added some details

lexie.jpg

travistravis on
    edited November 2010
    yellow23.jpg

tank.jpg

travistravis on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know what half this shit is- but I love it.

The last face kinda shows some major structural issues- and i'm not digging it as much, as well as the the tank at the end that has some weird, (not as patient and considered as the rest of the drawing) tread things, but when you do your crazy bubble armour connecting stuff- i'm all yours

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man i LOVE the piece with the girl in the yellow hoodie

i really like your stuff normally, but it is way cool to see it in more of a finished-looking piece

really implies some kind of story/event in motion, as opposed to crazy mechs/monsters floating in whitespace

which are still awesome, but can seem more like design work/testing than art pieces in some cases

Fletcher on
    edited November 2010
    yeah expect to see more of the hoodie. I spent two years figuring out what to do with that image.

4l3x4.jpg

travistravis on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is some weird, wild stuff.

NibCrom on
    edited November 2010
    zombiecolour.jpg

travistravis on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You've got a very distinct, interesting style!

You may want to throw an NSFW tag on your page after the blade-tentacle-penis one, though.

Mangoes on
    edited November 2010
    If the mods mod it fine, you don't know they aren't coming out the ass. Maybe that's worse...

4l3x422.jpg

monsterthing2.jpg

travistravis on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey, have you tried making some animals have this unique mechanization stuff you have going on? I want to see something besides human parts please :O

Arden Canelo on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That last thing is twelve kinds of bananas

Godfather on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    good thing I like bananas.

ninjai on
    edited December 2010
    156577_1482585146130_1278876772_31068995_4409286_n.jpg

Merry Christmas

travistravis on
    edited January 2011
    suitage1a.jpg

472.jpg

Kicking more ass in 2011.

yeh good point, not safe for wusses. Sorry there's like tits in the national newspapers, I don't think about it much.

And it wasn't an afterthought, the original from ages ago is the same. Essentially it looks exactly as I wanted it to, like it or not.

travistravis on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heads up, you'll wanna put NSFW on your post title for that latest drawing.

Also, that looks like a heavily filtered photographic background on that woman, which is never a good idea. Even if it is painted by you, it looks like it was an afterthought. Backgrounds and people should always be symbiotic.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also you did a sloppy copy+paste job in the last one as well.

I dig your style, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Like a few have said the ones where you have some form of composition are pretty nifty.

Do you have any shots of hands? In the last two particularly they just seem like blobs or extremely abstract.

That picture with the yellow hoodie chick floating in space is really awesome and definitely something I want to see more of!

But then you go and draw something like the pink haired, yellow sneaker, squiggly lines chick - it looks neat but it just feels very random and not thought out.

Keep it up man, you're off to a great start in the new year.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That drawing and photo-backdrop do not mesh well, at all.

Still though, your artwork is always interesting, so I look forward to seeing more. What I'd really like to see though, would be some of your cool designs incorporated into a dynamic scene where something is happening. So far we've seen some fantastic concepts, but seeing them doing something would be great. Like if not a comic than at least a dynamic spread or something.

earthwormadam on
    edited February 2011
    seren2.jpg

cheryl.jpg

dresses.jpg

nolegs3.jpg

travistravis on
  • MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I hop around these art forums I tend to see mostly people trying to draw concept art, but your stuff is really strange and different and cool. Those last 4 pieces make me love you because I don't know anyone who draws what you draw like you draw. Your recent technical improvement is really helping sell your cool ideas, too.

MufasaJoe on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And it wasn't an afterthought, the original from ages ago is the same. Essentially it looks exactly as I wanted it to, like it or not.

But the way you want it to look is ugly! Your linework is cool, but if you want to take art seriously, it wouldn't hurt to take some advice. d:

melting_doll on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love your style! It's organic and palpable, yet also gives a heavy machine feel. Very contrasting in itself, and hard to achieve.

Also, if I had my say with the fill-in-the-black spots, I personally prefer seeing the un-even tones. For me it keeps the traditional feel better. However, I do like the backgrounds, when white, to be just that - white. (Instead of off-white or speckily from the scanning).

RainbowTunnel on
  • MakunouchiMakunouchi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I always feel like I want to see your characters in an environment with some background, do you ever do stuff like that?

Makunouchi on
  • Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can tell you have fun with fluid motion. Every time you go for rock or liquid your drawings really 'pop'.

Michael Vox on
  • PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You have a lot of really cool stuff in your work, but it needs to be tempered with some sort of composition or color matching. The yellow hoodie girl image functions so much better than a lot of your simple black and white artwork because it has more function than the others, rather than just being cool linework. Your lines and designs are really cool though, you just need to find a way to apply them compositionally.

Phthano on
    edited March 2011
    travistravis on