As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pre-ordered and re-cancelled.

I think the clerk is on to me.

He knows my voice.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Every time someone says Dragon Effect, a puppy dies.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mass Age

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    There goes a kitten.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Haha! Dragon Effect! That's funny!

Drake on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Drake wrote: »

Its like they took the name of another bioware game that disappointed them and added a reference to this game

Like and insult or something!

Dox the PI on
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aaaaaand finally finished the game.
    Holy crap, 94 hours.

OldSlacker on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »

Its like they took the name of another bioware game that disappointed them and added a reference to this game

Like and insult or something!

And it's effective at that.

Cade on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Effective at keeping this thread's quality par the course I guess.

Dragkonias on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The title suggested as much.

Cade on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's funny how easily this thread can be condensed into a simple flowchart.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh and just because I came off like an ass, I hope no one took offense to what I said about Drakengard I haven't played it so I will have to go by ratings.

Fizban140 on
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Oh and just because I came off like an ass, I hope no one took offense to what I said about Drakengard I haven't played it so I will have to go by ratings.
    Nono, you were right. The game isn't that fun. Almost 99% of that is because of the gameplay but Story, Setting, Charachters. Well they are one of a kind in that regard. I actually think its impossible for the human mind to think of anything more over the top gritty/depressing/dark.

And if it isn't I'm scared. D:

C2B on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Isn't Drakengard the game where everyone(good guys included) were jackass, baby killers?

Dragkonias on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jackass incestuous baby fucking sociopaths who killed a whole lot of people . . . Some of which were arguably babies.

Now I admit that in saying that I'm painting the cast with a rather wide brush, but they cover all the bases of depravity, lust, mental illness and obsession between them.

And that's just the good guys.

Basically it's the funniest game ever.

Check out the lets play, it's a laugh a minute.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bioware need to hire some Korean to model and texture for them their graphics to make it look like Aion.

Maou on
    edited November 2010
    Plenty of people in North America that can do better.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Plenty of people in North America that can do better.

I don't see any yet in made in NA or EU games.

Maou on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aw damnit, I just found out there was someone I could have cut-scene killed but didn't when I did my ultimate asshole playthrough.
    the elf messenger in ostagar camp.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    Jackass incestuous baby fucking sociopaths who killed a whole lot of people . . . Some of which were arguably babies.

Now I admit that in saying that I'm painting the cast with a rather wide brush, but they cover all the bases of depravity, lust, mental illness and obsession between them.

And that's just the good guys.

Basically it's the funniest game ever.

Check out the lets play, it's a laugh a minute.
    I recall there being child soldiers you could had to slaughter by the dozens. You could even bring the pedophile with you to the mauling! And how the cannibal chick got eaten by giant, mutant space babies from another dimension or whatever those abominations actually were. What a game.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Drakengard/index.html

Let this be the end of the Drakengard derail, because while it is admittedly the best worst game ever it is not Dragon Age. On the topic of Dragon Age, I hope for a total overhaul of gear. Not enough appearance variation, too much vendor trash, not enough shit that was genuinely effective.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited November 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Let this be the end of the Drakengard derail, because while it is admittedly the best worst game ever it is not Dragon Age. On the topic of Dragon Age, I hope for a total overhaul of gear. Not enough appearance variation, too much vendor trash, not enough shit that was genuinely effective.
    Apparently, and I don't have a link handy to confirm, they're doing it the Mass Effect (OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE) way, in that your companions have unique equipment. Or at least unique armors.

So probably a Morrigan's Robes ---> Robes of Possession type thing, just for everyone.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited November 2010
    Mages don't have to look fucking ridiculous, they can look cool...nearly every other RPG found a way to do it...not sure why Bioware failed to.

Also the tooltips for this game blow, aboslutely awful. There is no way to tell what set bonuses to as far as I can tell, there just aren't enough details.

Fizban140 on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

Apparently, and I don't have a link handy to confirm, they're doing it the Mass Effect (OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE) way, in that your companions have unique equipment. Or at least unique armors.

So probably a Morrigan's Robes ---> Robes of Possession type thing, just for everyone.

Good none of them are worthy to even think of wearing the same gear as me anyway.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

yeah just unique armors

apparently they will be at least partially upgradeable, so it'll be a bit more elaborate than ME2's way

Elendil on
    edited November 2010
    Mages don't have to look fucking ridiculous, they can look cool...nearly every other RPG found a way to do it...not sure why Bioware failed to.

Also the tooltips for this game blow, aboslutely awful. There is no way to tell what set bonuses to as far as I can tell, there just aren't enough details.

Right click and examine (not sure what it is on consoles) a piece of equipment to see what the set does.

Though it's still really vague. Like, "equip all the set for a bonus to armor" without telling you what the bonus is. It definitely can be done better.

As for mages, well...there has to be some kind of tradeoff, right? I mean, phenomenal cosmic powers AND an awesome wardrobe? That's just too much.

But really, if you're on PC get the Wings of Velvet mod. It's a pretty sweet robe set.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Right click and examine (not sure what it is on consoles) a piece of equipment to see what the set does.

Though it's still really vague. Like, "equip all the set for a bonus to armor" without telling you what the bonus is. It definitely can be done better.

As for mages, well...there has to be some kind of tradeoff, right? I mean, phenomenal cosmic powers AND an awesome wardrobe? That's just too much.

But really, if you're on PC get the Wings of Velvet mod. It's a pretty sweet robe set.

Hey, the Male Tevinter robes were almost awesome. They just needed to be a bit more minimalistic, getting rid of the stupid fur and extraneous belts. I usually find one on one of the spiders in the Mage Origin and wear it through the game, it makes the final cutscene very Conan the Barbarian.

Z0re on
    edited November 2010
    I decided to start an arcane mage because I had the gear and the point available, and I can easily be a normal mage. It is pretty fun, I am using Faiths Edge, the 2 handed axe. Any reason not to use a 2 handed weapon? I seem to miss a lot, should I put any points into anything besides magic?

Fizban140 on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dex governs accuracy. I imagine you want a ton of Magic, a little Dex and a little Con. Not really familiar with Arcane Warrior though. It's a cool idea but in practice seems simplistic.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the attack bonus dex offers is pretty piddly unless you invest crazy points into it IIRC

you'll probably want some points in willpower, maybe con if you're going blood mage

otherwise pump magic

Elendil on
    edited November 2010
    Arcane Warrior does decent damage in Melee but really still suck in Melee Combat.
    1) Lots of Misses
    2) Keep getting Knockdown by Melee Enemies
    3) Have to keep Melee Weapon before casting most spells

Maou on
    edited November 2010
    Oh I was hoping there was a way to change that, good thing I can go back. Does using a staff as an arcane warrior work? It doesn't seem to really change the damage.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Oh I was hoping there was a way to change that, good thing I can go back. Does using a staff as an arcane warrior work? It doesn't seem to really change the damage.

No bonus for using a Staff.
    Only thing about Arcane Warrior is they can tank really great.

Maou on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maou wrote: »
    Arcane Warrior does decent damage in Melee but really still suck in Melee Combat.
    1) Lots of Misses
    2) Keep getting Knockdown by Melee Enemies
    3) Have to keep Melee Weapon before casting most spells

Yeah, but they have more survivability than even a Sword and board warrior

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can get a mod to stop them randomly sheathing their sword before spells.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, DLC question.

I'm really undecided about purchasing Leliana's song (Late to the party)

I hate Leliana. I really do. This has solely to do with that she is a Jeanne D'arc refrence in the main game with every french clichee ever put in her. It begins with the whole religosity strikes her love for poems (and all other cheesy things) in the middle and ends with her accent (Yes, I know DA world is basically alternate europe). I mean I can stand all the other charachters but I just can't see any personality in Leliana.

But

Reading through the wiki I saw several Leliana quotes from the DLC that are actually pretty damn good. I would like to give her another chance but I have to now if her personality and dialouge overall have more uniqueness to it.

Buy or not buy for someone like me?

C2B on
    edited November 2010
    I can't answer your question, sorry.

But I can say I used to dislike Leliana (or, more accurately, was entirely bored by her) but now I generally enjoy her.

I think it may be because of the Dragon Age Redesigned mod, that makes her really really really pretty. Because apparently I am shallow like that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just completed the game and I wonder if I did screw myself over. I'll spoiler the rest just to be safe.
    I completed the game at LV19 so it seems like I screwed myself out of the ''reach LV 20'' achievement :S Is they're any way to do battles in the epilogue w/o buying any DLC? I can't travel anywhere, this is so stupid! My only 2 saves beside that one are one right before the final battle (seems like you can't quit Denerim at that point?) anddd.. the other one is in the middle of the game :S.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jean wrote: »
    So I just completed the game and I wonder if I did screw myself over. I'll spoiler the rest just to be safe.
    I completed the game at LV19 so it seems like I screwed myself out of the ''reach LV 20'' achievement :S Is they're any way to do battles in the epilogue w/o buying any DLC? I can't travel anywhere, this is so stupid! My only 2 saves beside that one are one right before the final battle (seems like you can't quit Denerim at that point?) anddd.. the other one is in the middle of the game :S.

My understanding is that you can get those achievements playing Awakening, so you'll be fine.

gjaustin on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So does anyone have any difficulty + mods to reccomend? Preferably ones that are confirmed to work with Combat Tweaks?

Blurbl on