As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect 3: HOLIDAY 2011 MOTHERFUCKERS

Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
Mass Effect

EA, being the cool cats that they are leaked info on their own game
EA Store wrote:
Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth.
Rally other species armies to destroy an invading army

Sound familiar anyone?
MASS EFFECT 2
Cast of characters:
120pxgarrusme2character.png 120pxgruntcharactershot.png 120pxjackcharactershot.png 120pxjacobcharactershot.png

120pxkasumicharactersho.png 120pxlegioncharactersho.png 120pxmirandanew.png 120pxmordincharactersho.png

120pxsamaracharactersho.png 120pxtalinewme2.png 120pxthanecharactershot.png 120pxzaeedcharactershot.png

The latest Expansion:
74221174.jpg

The largest, most story-intensive, raddest DLC to date, and the first to bridge the story between ME2 and ME3. Team up with Liara T'soni to end the Shadow Broker once and for all, for the low price of $10.

Masseffectlogo.png

What is Mass Effect? It's games!

200pxmasseffectoriginal.jpg 320pxmegalaxysplashscre.jpg 200pxfinalboxartme2.jpg

It's comics!

180pxmasseffectredempti.jpg 200pxme2aria.png 180pxmasseffectevolutio.png

It's books!

230pxmerevelation.jpg 190pxmeascension.jpg 190pxmeretributioncover.jpg

It's even a movie!

Get your ME1 import saves here! Get your ME2 faces here!

Want information? Check the wiki. Want help? Check the guide. Want everybody to survive? Check the Suicide Mission walkthrough.

TychoCelchuuu has been kind enough to provide peeks at Commander Shepard's facebook page:
one two three | FOUR! FIVE!!

Kasanagi has been kind enough to provide us with sick-nasty gun mods:
Kasanagi wrote: »

Are you on your second+ game? Stop sweating the small stuff and install this: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mods/kbo.zip

Features:
No startup movies
Infinite "Storm" AKA Sprint
Modified Krogun - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo (40 after research upgrade), semi-automatic, high speed ROF.
Modified Widow - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo, semi-automatic, high speed ROF (same as krogun's).

Just drop this in your Mass Effect 2 install folder under \BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\ , make sure to backup your current coalesced.ini first, just in case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj0_s6d5kM

GoodKingJayIII provided the following way to skip much of the introduction:
Nartwak wrote: »
1. A lot of people don't like the opening 10 minute intro movie, but there is a way to get rid of it. Go to

C:....mass effect 2BioGameMovies

Change the extension of the following files to .bak:

Opening_End_Seq.bik

Opening_End_SeqFM.bik

Opening_Seq_INT.bik

ProCer_300_FirstFlight.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_INT.bak

ProNor_Pod2.bik

ProNorEscape.bik

ProNorEscapeAsh.bik

ProNorEscapeKaid.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_ESN.bik

ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw.bak

BWLogo.bak

ProNor_Shepard_Rebuilt.bik

This will not get rid of everything, you still have to watch the non-CGI cutscenes and Save Joker. BUt it does cut down quite a bit. If you want those movies back just rename them to .bik again. If you're worried your renaming the wrong thing, you can download a BIK palyer and confirm the files.

2. Changing the first nam of your character does require an external program, but is pretty easy overall.

Download Gib's Save editor here: http://mod.gib.me/masseffect2/saveedit_rev23.zip

Open a save game here: C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEMy DocumentsBioWareMass Effect 2Save

Backup whatever save data you want.

Delete all the files except the one you want.

Open it in the editor, go to the Raw tab.

Under squad, click player, and change the first name.

Save the file under something new, since it won't allow you to overwrite for some reason. Make sure it's a save name that makes sense like Save_0002.pcsav, has to follow that format.

Rename the directory the your desired name, and you're done!

3. For those who hate planet scanning and hacking, there is an easy ini file edit floating around. This is just a colaseced editor that you guys have already been playing with but this one seemed pretty idiot proof to me. This again needs an external program but is non-excutable.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjjzlzzzmyj

This has all kinds of stuff like god mode, extra weapons, infinite ammo etc., but if you just want the money, just use it to get your resources, save, then exit the game and revert to the non-hacked state.

I think that's the same guide I used way back when. It works, just rename the movies to .bik.OLD or something. Pares it from 10 minutes down to ~3 minutes.

korodullin has kindly offered some R&R with a wonderful game of bingo!
bingofinalv2.jpg

Spoit's far more simple variation:
me2bingo.jpg

curly haired boy has been kind enough to provide us a brief history of Mass Effect:
sovereign watches the asari discover citadel

THEY ARE PRETTY, YES. BUT THEY HAVE ALREADY BEGUN A CULTURAL STAGNATION. UNFLAVORFUL AND BLAND I DEEM THEM

salarians come in, ambitious, but under the influence of asari cease progressing as well

OH GOD THEY'RE LIKE POP ROCKS. TOO BAD THEY DON'T LAST LONGER....ANYONE ELSE GOING TO JOIN THE PARTY?

no? oh well guess i'll drop the voice effects it's not like these rachni can appreciate them anyway. ok you bug queens guess i'll trigger this purge early. not much this time around but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. wish you buggers were worth more to me than as a puppet race...ah nevermind

OH FUCK KROGANS

dammit, they didn't even register on my spacefaring, relay-using species list! D: looks like this plan ain't gonna work retreeeat

also very odd i sent the signal to open the citadel relay but it didn't work. UPSETTING.

also dammit that was the loss of a good puppet race D: indoctrinate the queens and everyone follows ugh ugh where am i gonna find another one oh well

ooo turians OOOO they didn't even get to the citadel until they were already worth harvesting? OMFG you guys ALONE are worth this purge i gotta let the guys know~ <3 mebbe they'll give me a puppet race or something too!

um ok they're excited too but they say nobody gets access to the collectors unless it's an EMERGENCY

FUCK

uh, uh *casts around*

OH HO HO SENTIENT TOASTERS YOU SAY? I CAN WORK WITH THAT! NO I DON'T CARE THAT THEY HAVE FLASHLIGHT HEADS

hmm humans? well they're no krogan i don't think i have to worry about them much hahaha

besides i've got enough busy-work traipsing all over the galaxy trying to find this prothean "back door" thingy

did the guys bother to tell me about that? nooooo they just get to point and laugh, specially that bitch harbinger. DENY ME ACCESS TO THE COLLECTORS WILL YOU? YOU JUST WAIT

HOW BOUT I LEAVE YOU ALL IN BLACK SPACE HMMM?

i was just kidding guys- ah you don't have to bring that up-LOOK I SAID I WAS SORRY.

who the fuck is this shepard person?

ok, WHO the FUCK is this SHEPARD person?

OMFG WHO THE FUCK IS THIS SHEPARD PERSON. I AM GOING TO HAVE A CHAT WITH THIS HUMAN.

blah that didn't go as well as i'd liked. doesn't matter anyway, me and my flashlight heads are in the backdoor. the guys will like the taste of the turians and it's just gravy if i get to personally stomp out this humanity species too. GOD they can be ANNOYING.

OMFG SHEPARD I SWEAR TO GOD

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGSHDFSJDKFSDFSDFSDF1011011110001011010111-

WHAT? DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY GUYS, WE ALL AGREED THAT SOVVY WAS TOO INCOMPETENT TO USE THE COLLECTORS.

OK FINE THIS IS A PROBLEM ALRIGHT I'LL USE THE COLLECTORS TO DEAL WITH IT

BAM

SHEPARD'S DEAD ARE YOU HAPPY? GOOD.

WHAT NOW. YOU WANT TO USE THE HUMANS? WHAT ARE YOU, OUT OF YOUR BIOMECHANICAL MINDS?

FINE. BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT.

OH FUCK OH FUCK SHEPARD'S BACK OH FUCK

I THOUGHT I KILLED HIM TOO DON'T FUCKING BLAME ME IT'S NOT MY FAULT SOVVY LEFT THE HUSK TECH LYING AROUND WHERE THEY COULD RESEARCH IT

oh god.

shepard is in the collector base. ah shit. ah SHIT SHIT SHIIITTTTT

look, i'm sorry guys i didn't mean for that to happen. YES i know that was our backup plan. YES i know we don't have any "spare" puppet species. YES i know just how much energy we spent on the collectors and on that base.

just....leave me alone. i gotta think.

The best part of Mass Effect is the romance. Man-on-woman. Man-on-gun. Woman-on-woman.

Dox the PI on

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Quads.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    Quads.

The new thread title is because of you
    I hope you realize this

Dox the PI on
  • ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think they should make a new alien in ME3 that is a talking nutsack (hanar related?) and a family of them is known as a quad.

Or something.

Chronocide on
    edited November 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Quads.

The new thread title is because of you
    I hope you realize this

Four enormous testicles.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, you've had enough sugar, no more.

Astale on
    edited November 2010
    But, but, but.

But.

:cry:

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fine fine, have some beer instead.

Astale on
    edited November 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Fine fine, have some beer instead.

BEER

MAINLY BEER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgiuu_9vDoI

Dox the PI on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    last time i killed
    vasir
    , i froze her solid, threw her off the balcony, and shattered her with a pistol shot.

suddenly cutscene she's bleeding to death propped up on a table

Nuzak on
    edited November 2010
    Would Krogan testicle soup be a Turian or Salarian delicacy? Kind of like a victory dish?

Chronocide on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    last time i killed
    vasir
    , i froze her solid, threw her off the balcony, and shattered her with a pistol shot.

suddenly cutscene she's bleeding to death propped up on a table
    I once hit her with singularity, cryo blast, and finally throw in succession

she vanished into the skyline and the game didn't move on

I had to reload

Elendil on
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Via the Lazarus Project, Cerberus revives Shepard using state of the art bionics and genetic procedures, making the already superlative warrior harder, faster and more combat-lethal than ever!
    They also gave him quads...

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I say that ME3 should have a hybrid power system.

Tap the button/aim straight on? You get Instant Effect.

Hold button and move aimer? You get arcing Travel Effect.

Also, defenses preventing powers working is some bullshit.

Apothe0sis on
    edited November 2010
    My Infil insanity run was basically Reave/Incinerate/Overload x 1,000,000,000. Maybe Anti-Materiel headshot once every 5 enemies. Ymirs I hate you so much.

Chronocide on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seanron wrote: »
    They also gave her quads...

And quints.

FTFY

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Give me new DLC Bioware. Please.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

seriously

All my money are belong to bioware

Dox the PI on
    edited November 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »

seriously

All my money are belong to bioware

At this stage I will be opening a lithograph display hall in 3 months time. More merchandise plox.

Chronocide on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

We've got at least twomore pieces to go right? Looking forward to it, they're basically the first guys to really do episodic content properly.

Leitner on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So long as they keep up with the standard set by LotSB. I mean that is now my standard for their DLC and what I want them to match. Meaningful DLC that actually adds to the game in a real and substantial manner. Having one to resolve the other "waiting" relationship in Kaiden (preferably with a bullet to the face) or Ashley would be fantastic.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So long as they keep up with the standard set by LotSB. I mean that is now my standard for their DLC and what I want them to match. Meaningful DLC that actually adds to the game in a real and substantial manner. Having one to resolve the other "waiting" relationship in Kaiden (preferably with a bullet to the face) or Ashley would be fantastic.

:!:

A DLC where romanceable Wrex joins your party!

Get off your goddamn throne and do some Krogan Charging!

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

We've got at least twomore pieces to go right? Looking forward to it, they're basically the first guys to really do episodic content properly.

We do? Good news to be sure, but I must've missed that announcement.

Dr. Worm on
    edited November 2010
    I don't think we've heard one way or the other on new DLC

to be honest I'd be surprised if we got anything else major

Elendil on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

But it was supposed to be the first of the bridging DLC D:

Orca on
    edited November 2010
    Orca wrote: »

But it was supposed to be the first of the bridging DLC D:

I thought that was Overlord

Elendil on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Krogan romance preview:

I

*thrust*

AM

*thrust*

KROGAN

*thrust* *thrust* *thrust* *thrust* *thrust*

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd love to see new DLC, and I suspect (hope) we will see something, but at the same time I have a feeling it all depends on how well ME2 DLC has sold so far. Most of the DLC sounds pretty popular from the looks of this thread, but this is hardly a balanced view of the population of Mass Effect owners. And I doubt Bioware has or will release sales figures for DLC. I could be wrong though, I didn't actually go looking at all.

Also, Overlord was just there, it doesn't really have any substance, its just an excuse to shoot geth and talk shit about Cerberus (both of which are fine goals imho).

Emporium on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought I read somewhere they were thinking about another alternate appearance DLC. Don't know how giving Miranda a red catsuit bridges anything, but I'll take it.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Emporium wrote: »
    I'd love to see new DLC, and I suspect (hope) we will see something, but at the same time I have a feeling it all depends on how well ME2 DLC has sold so far. Most of the DLC sounds pretty popular from the looks of this thread, but this is hardly a balanced view of the population of Mass Effect owners. And I doubt Bioware has or will release sales figures for DLC. I could be wrong though, I didn't actually go looking at all.

Also, Overlord was just there, it doesn't really have any substance, its just an excuse to shoot geth and talk shit about Cerberus (both of which are fine goals imho).

Well...most of the ME DLC says on XBLs "Most Popular" page if that is any indication.

I've been waiting for my alt costumes forever.

Dragkonias on
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So apparently Sony Russia has accidentally leaked that the game that is going to be revaled at the VGAs is Mass Effect 3. So much for all the speculation about a multiplayer title?

wilting on
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Emporium wrote: »

Well...most of the ME DLC says on XBLs "Most Popular" page if that is any indication.

I've been waiting for my alt costumes forever.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope ME DLC is selling well, it only helps ensure that there will be more. I'm just pointing out the possibility that if Bioware is losing money on making DLC (by poor sales), they might not make more.

Emporium on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, that does depend on budget too.

It's same engine, new VAs here and there I guess, and some other things. Though I doubt they're spending more than some thousands on it.

Dragkonias on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wilting wrote: »
    So apparently Sony Russia has accidentally leaked that the game that is going to be revaled at the VGAs is Mass Effect 3. So much for all the speculation about a multiplayer title?

IN SONY-ET RUSSIA, SPOILERS LEAK YOU!

HA HA!!! Right guys? right?............... sorry....

Pablo the Penguin on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

They talked about new DLC after LotSB. They didn't use the singular.

Leitner on
    edited November 2010
    wilting wrote: »

If this is true...

ohmygodpleasebetrue

then it still wont be out till late next year at the earliest

but it will be nice to see where they are taking the series

ommplzzzzzzz

Dox the PI on
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know, it seems highly unlikely that they will be announcing Mass Effect 3. I mean, I really hope it's Mass Effect 3, but I'm going to be pessimistic about it, if only to spare me from having my dreams shattered.

Ad astra on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I ended up starting with a new Infiltrator rather than transferring my ME1 save (which was apparently a vanguard). It's been so long since ME1 that I wasn't sure I'd be able to remember the key events without having them explicitly explained, so I think that helped.

But after a few hours I just found that Infiltrator felt slow and ineffective. Stealth wasn't really useful for anything except running away, and just using a pistol made me feel useless. So I restarted as Soldier, and woah. This just feels exactly like I was hoping it would :^:

exis on
    edited November 2010
    why are you only using a pistol

even the default sniper rifle is fairly formidable

Elendil on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

Damn it leits. You've cursed them now. It went to their heads and now they'll sit on the third "bridging dlc" for like five years delaying ME3 by a further ten years. See ya.

envoy1 on