As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My motherboard has shuffled off its mortal coil and gone to meet its maker

LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
Well, my motherboard had died. The hard drive is fine, everything else apparently works. The problem is, well, its two-fold: firstly, the PC repair place say they can't get another, its too old, and secondly, I can't afford a new PC for a while.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy another? The shop have told me I need:

SKT 478 - P4
DDR ram
AGPx8 gfx
IDEx2

Bear in mind, I don't actually understand what I've just typed, so if you have any complicated questions, I won't be able to answer you. I've already added more memory, changed the graphics card and power supply cos all the games I tried to play were jaggy, so I do know how to plug things in and take them out, as long as the instructions are clear!

If anyone can help, I'd be for ever grateful! Thank you.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One big problem: Unless you get a board with the same chipset, your Windows install may or may not boot.

Is your computer a custom build or a name-brand? I can help source HP and Dell legacy parts

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll have to ask LewieP - it started of as a branded one, but we've changed stuff a bit. I'll ask him.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If it started as branded, most likely the motherboard and processor are still name-brand parts - most chassis have proprietary controls (power button, etc) that are hard to tweak for aftermarket motherboards

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If it's branded you could call them up and give them the model number. Ask them specifically what motherboard it is and try googling it. I am sure you could find a replacement cheaper online than they are willing to sell you.

I wouldn't try to change the motherboard if you can help it. Branded computers are picky with what hardware changes you can make.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Usually replacing the mobo fixes all that non-case related picky-ness, but of course you still have the potential trouble with screw layout for the case, and PSU, activity LEDs and power/reset switches. Most name-brands these days actually have standard PSUs (thank goodness). Rigging up power/reset switches isn't any trouble (just need an intermittent switch --you can use a cheap doorbell from a hardware store if you want to.) But the screw layout poses a much bigger potential problem.

May I ask what the original model/brand of the computer is?

The simplest solution may be to buy an appropriate motherboard and a really cheap case, and just transfer the hardware into the new case. Assuming the PSU is standard (which we can probably find out with the model of the machine in question) that'll only add $50 or so to your cost of repairs --I can see a cheap rosewill now on newegg for $55, including shipping.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd like to point out that LewieP's Mummy is in the UK, and shipping from the US would likely double the cost of a motherboard.
    I looked on several sites, and this Asrock one is the only one I found that will probably work.

It's possible that a capacitor has leaked, which would make the repair much cheaper. Check here for details.

corky842 on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That would be the one to get, yes. I couldn't find one directly from the UK.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me