As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Call of Duty: Black Ops (BLOPS) Bunny Hopping, Drop Shots, and Second Chances

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You keep ignoring my bunny-hopping argument...it's the same damn thing. In real life it's nonexistent. In the game it's annoying.

The reason we haven't addressed Bunny Hopping is because it isn't relevant. We can run now, so there's no need to constantly hop around a map for a slight speed boost. But I've still never seen the problem with Bunny Hopping; just because I'd probably never realistically John Woo around a corner to make myself a harder target to hit doesn't mean it's a bullshit tactic. I can't Rocket-Hop or Conc-Jump in real life, either, but those are accepted tactics in TFC.

Drop shotting is not an exploit, or a glitch, or an unintended abuse of game mechanics: it's just going prone just before you shoot somebody. The more we talk about it, the clearer it becomes to me that drop shotters deserve their kills: they're running a more complex strategy that has half a dozen drawbacks and preventors. If one person's strategy is to simply raise their weapon and fire, and the other guy's thinking one move ahead, and drops under the bullets while returning fire ... isn't that second person a better player?

Especially since the first player didn't follow their target properly? Or burst-fired, expecting a standard kill time, and didn't adjust his strategy on the fly? Maybe once or twice a match, I can understand how you'd get surprised by a drop shotter, but if you're consistantly getting caught out by the same tactic over and over again, then drop shotting clearly isn't the real problem.

milk ducks on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cod bucks don't carry over in a prestige though.

-SPI- on
  • SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sometimes I accidentally dropshot - I like B as melee, so RJ is crouch and when I panic I go down.

SmallCaveGames on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Before you prestige go through the emblem editor and buy all the emblems icons. That way you use the cash and have a tangible benefit.

Since you can't really spend money till you're level 5, you'll have at least 5.5k cheese pizzas to buy things with, assuming you didn't complete any challenges in the first 5 levels, which I would find terribly suprising. This coupled with a plan of attack with unlocks means that by level 6 or so you can have your classes set up just the way you want.

belligerent on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Before you prestige go through the emblem editor and buy all the emblems icons. That way you use the cash and have a tangible benefit.

Since you can't really spend money till you're level 5, you'll have at least 5.5k cheese pizzas to buy things with, assuming you didn't complete any challenges in the first 5 levels, which I would find terribly suprising. This coupled with a plan of attack with unlocks means that by level 6 or so you can have your classes set up just the way you want.

Challenges don't give you blopesos, though. Only XP.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ... I really don't want to start up that dropshotting argument again, but I think some of you are confusing action diving with dropshotting. Action diving is a legitimate strategy because you can't shoot while flying through the air which puts you at a massive disadvantage, but if you land and then kill someone you look totally fucking super-badass. Dropshotting is legitimate because it is in the game and people do it, were the hitboxes on players who are prone weren't batshit fucking crazy there'd be even less than absolutely no reason to complain about it.

I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to go ahead with my cheesy action-diving steakhouse montage, because action-diving is totally pro.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You keep ignoring my bunny-hopping argument...it's the same damn thing. In real life it's nonexistent. In the game it's annoying.

The reason we haven't addressed Bunny Hopping is because it isn't relevant. We can run now, so there's no need to constantly hop around a map for a slight speed boost. But I've still never seen the problem with Bunny Hopping; just because I'd probably never realistically John Woo around a corner to make myself a harder target to hit doesn't mean it's a bullshit tactic. I can't Rocket-Hop or Conc-Jump in real life, either, but those are accepted tactics in TFC.

Drop shotting is not an exploit, or a glitch, or an unintended abuse of game mechanics: it's just going prone just before you shoot somebody. The more we talk about it, the clearer it becomes to me that drop shotters deserve their kills: they're running a more complex strategy that has half a dozen drawbacks and preventors. If one person's strategy is to simply raise their weapon and fire, and the other guy's thinking one move ahead, and drops under the bullets while returning fire ... isn't that second person a better player?

Especially since the first player didn't follow their target properly? Or burst-fired, expecting a standard kill time, and didn't adjust his strategy on the fly? Maybe once or twice a match, I can understand how you'd get surprised by a drop shotter, but if you're consistantly getting caught out by the same tactic over and over again, then drop shotting clearly isn't the real problem.

Are they really thinking one move ahead, or are they just automatically going to prone as they fire every single time? What's the endgame here? Both players run into each other, both shoot center mass, both drop to prone, both shift their aim downward to compensate for the other's drop. Is that going to be every engagement? Run, flop, shoot, get up, repeat?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ... I really don't want to start up that dropshotting argument again, but I think some of you are confusing action diving with dropshotting. Action diving is a legitimate strategy because you can't shoot while flying through the air which puts you at a massive disadvantage, but if you land and then kill someone you look totally fucking super-badass. Dropshotting is legitimate because it is in the game and people do it, were the hitboxes on players who are prone weren't batshit fucking crazy there'd be even less than absolutely no reason to complain about it.

I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to go ahead with my cheesy action-diving steakhouse montage, because action-diving is totally pro.
    Isn't there an achievement for "dive through glass and kill an enemy player?"

[ed] Apparently not; which makes my a disappointed lying sumbitch.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited November 2010
    But that's not what happens, is it? Drop shotting's been around for a long, long time, and gameplay still hasn't devolved into the endgame scenario you're describing. And it never will.

milk ducks on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What's the best way to use the AK-47?

Mid or close range?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Are they really thinking one move ahead, or are they just automatically going to prone as they fire every single time? What's the endgame here? Both players run into each other, both shoot center mass, both drop to prone, both shift their aim downward to compensate for the other's drop. Is that going to be every engagement? Run, flop, shoot, get up, repeat?

Not really, I would say it depends on the situation.

Honestly, I can say I only really use the dropshot when me and my opponent happen to be rounding a corner and catch each other off guard.

Dragkonias on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

Mid or close range?

Every range, because it has no sway and is super accurate.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not sure about dropshotting or whatever, but the claim of a delay between diving to prone and bringing your weapon up to fire seems to have been a lie.

Alot of times it seems to be:

Guy runs at you

he dives to prone olololololol

Pretty much instant dakkadakkadakka

trollface.jpg

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited November 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »
    But that's not what happens, is it? Drop shotting's been around for a long, long time, and gameplay still hasn't devolved into the endgame scenario you're describing. And it never will.

happens to me pretty frequently. Turn a corner, start shooting, we both hit the dirt and keep shooting 'til someone goes down. The only reason this doesn't happen all the time is because some people aren't of the can't-beat-em-join-em doctrine. I wouldn't mind if your accuracy took a significant hit during the prone animation.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Not really, I would say it depends on the situation.

Honestly, I can say I only really use the dropshot when me and my opponent happen to be rounding a corner and catch each other off guard.

Frankly, the number one reason I don't like dropshotting is this: it takes me out of the game. Crazily out of the game. Like if I was watching a courtroom drama, and Bug Bunny strolls into the room. I'm watching a militaryactionmovieexplodathon, but for some reason the actors are falling to their chests at least once a minute.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    personally my tactic to deal with dropshotters is explained thusly:

prelim: enemy and I encounter face to face
    1) enemy dropshots
    2)a. I stafeshot so he can no longer shoot me, I kill dropshotter
    2)b. (optional) I die
    3) I dust myself off and continue on as normal

it seems the people who endlessly bitch on internet forums deal with dropshotters in this way:

1) enemy dropshots
    2) I stand still and shoot above the dropshotter's head then I die
    3) I endlessly bitch about it on internet forums

acidlacedpenguin on
    edited November 2010
    Goddamnit. Why do my layers keep moving ever so slightly when I try and save my emblem? Stay put you fuckers!

-SPI- on
    edited November 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

Mid or close range?

Except for slightly slower reload times, the Ak-47 has the exact same stats as the Commando. Same damage and range (40 damage out to ~40m, dropping down to 30 per bullet at 50m). The recoil is moderate, but controllable; still, I wouldn't be trying to Long Shot with it. Up close, it's got the same rate of fire and damage as an Ak-74u or Mp5k, but innately worse hipfire modifiers because of the assault rifle class (and no Rapid Fire option). You'll be able to hold your own in close quarters, but the weapon shines at middle ranges; from 25m or so, when weapons like the Ak-74u drop down to 20 damage per bullet (a five shot kill) out to around 50m. You'll be able to manage kills at that range, but it starts to get interesting.

milk ducks on
    edited November 2010

1) enemy dropshots
    2)b. (optional) I die

it seems the people who endlessly bitch on internet forums deal with dropshotters in this way:

1) enemy dropshots

+1.

milk ducks on
    edited November 2010

1) enemy dropshots
    2)b. (optional) I die

1) enemy dropshots

I think I first got pissed about it when I realized in a killcam that a guy who killed me dropshotted me from behind. I was walking the other way, completely oblivious to his coming around the corner, but he did it anyway.

The second time was when I realized that at a certain range or certain environs, strafing does nothing when you can't get out of his line-of-sight before he ventilates you. Or were we only talking about face-to-face encounters out in the open?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited November 2010
    There we go, copied from one I saw on the Giant Bomb forums.
    SSSSSSSSSSsssssss

stolencreeper.jpg

-SPI- on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Droppshotting is why my heatmap shows that I shoot people in the junk more than anywhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4z0NKsDpXI

Woody's sub analysis is up.

belligerent on
    edited November 2010
    I think everyone's heat-map shows the majority of shots land in the junk-region.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited November 2010
    Huh. You can turn more in prone than I thought you could before you are impeded. And you can fire while on the way down (quite accurately), though not while getting up. And I almost never go full-auto, which pretty much screws me unless I'm right next to the guy.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited November 2010

1) enemy dropshots
    2)b. (optional) I die

1) enemy dropshots

I think I first got pissed about it when I realized in a killcam that a guy who killed me dropshotted me from behind. I was walking the other way, completely oblivious to his coming around the corner, but he did it anyway.

The second time was when I realized that at a certain range or certain environs, strafing does nothing when you can't get out of his line-of-sight before he ventilates you. Or were we only talking about face-to-face encounters out in the open?

in that situation where I can't strafe I'll probably die. Chances are, in this game, you will die at some point. If you can guarantee you win every gunfight ever, then why even call it a game? It's simply a forgone conclusion.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you aren't going to die, the question becomes: How many will you kill?

Also, I want to chime in on the dropshotting, because I hate it. The problem is that an evasive maneuver increases your accuracy. I've always felt that belly-flopping should decrease accuracy before you are able to set up into a superior firing position. I also get hung up about twitch knives, and sniper rifles that shoot anywhere but the enemy whilst bouncing everywhere. So I may be a special case whose main reason to play the game is... smooth gameplay.

Booker on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did I mention that Second Chance can go fuck itself? Cuz Second Chance can go fuck itself. I played TDM yesterday where EVERYONE but one person on the enemy team had it. It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that there is a good half second or more moment of invincibility that comes with it. So you pop someone, they go down, you keep shooting at them (and hitting dead center with no hit marker to show for it) and you run the risk of going "click-click" on an empty magazine. Then you reload which by now means they've lined you up and are probably killing you.

Granted, I've only died to someone in Second Chance twice (one time was thanks to shitty net code lag issues), but that moment of invincibility really irks me. I know, it's there to give Second Chance a reason to exist, but come on.

Fawst on
    edited November 2010

1) enemy dropshots
    2)b. (optional) I die

1) enemy dropshots

in that situation where I can't strafe I'll probably die. Chances are, in this game, you will die at some point. If you can guarantee you win every gunfight ever, then why even call it a game? It's simply a forgone conclusion.

I was actually referring to ranged combat against a dropshot. I've had a near zero-percent success ratio against them in those situations, primarily because I've apparently always underestimated how well they can turn while prone.

edit: Oh god getting knifed by a guy with Second Chance.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited November 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    Did I mention that Second Chance can go fuck itself? Cuz Second Chance can go fuck itself. I played TDM yesterday where EVERYONE but one person on the enemy team had it. It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that there is a good half second or more moment of invincibility that comes with it. So you pop someone, they go down, you keep shooting at them (and hitting dead center with no hit marker to show for it) and you run the risk of going "click-click" on an empty magazine. Then you reload which by now means they've lined you up and are probably killing you.

Granted, I've only died to someone in Second Chance twice (one time was thanks to shitty net code lag issues), but that moment of invincibility really irks me. I know, it's there to give Second Chance a reason to exist, but come on.

yeah it's pretty frustrating, the invincibility lasts just long enough for you to get another shotty round in, too.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Second Chance gets me once, then I learn to shoot them into it and throw a stun around the corner.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

?

Second chance is great, although I've developed an instictual pause when watching enemies fall, after which I collect my points. What's more, when I use second chance, there are many situations where I am not given the chance to even pull out my pistol.

Most importantly, I pulled through a Hardcore TDM with a perfect score last night because I had Second chance pro, and a buddy picked me up to continue my rampage.

Protip: Time your shots: dakkadakkadakka *drop* dakka +200

Booker on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »

yeah it's pretty frustrating, the invincibility lasts just long enough for you to get another shotty round in, too.

As someone who uses Second Chance, it's not that long

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited November 2010
    Second Chance: The reason you have a handgun.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I rage harder when I die to bunny hopping than I do to drop-shotters.

Plus when did we stop using dolphin diving and start using drop-shotting?

DietarySupplement on
    edited November 2010
    I thought dolphin-diving was a jump and a dive on the way down from the jump. Most people dropshotting just drop from a standing position.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I rage harder when I die to bunny hopping than I do to drop-shotters.

Plus when did we stop using dolphin diving and start using drop-shotting?

We used to call dropshotters (going prone whilst firing [both guns in the air yelling aarrrrggghh]) dolphin divers. But now you can actually dolphin dive. So there's some confusion.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Second chance takes the whole sport out of the hunt.

Tridus1x on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think you can call it dolphin diving unless you can do it repeatedly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_snSNg7MPE

But it's still annoying, especially while running the Olympia or the semi-auto rifles.

Fats on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had someone put me in Second Chance last night, and then just walk off as if all was well. I popped him in the back with my 1911.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

1) enemy dropshots
    2)b. (optional) I die

1) enemy dropshots

Alternatively:
    1) I come face to face with an enemy
    2) We both immediately flop to the ground shooting
    3) I kill him
    4) I get up and still think it's a stupid way to play the game

I know it may sound crazy, but it's possible to not be getting killed by something regularly and still think it's a stupid practice that detracts from the game. Saying "lol suck less kthx" over and over is a juvenile response.

rndmhero on