As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Call of Duty: Black Ops (BLOPS) Bunny Hopping, Drop Shots, and Second Chances

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Scat just misses quarry and the fun sightlines that map had.

I'm not going to lie, I miss my ump.

my ump.

my lovely lady lump.

belligerent on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I used the default sniper class on Nuketown Domination and went like 30-10 with default killstreaks, right after I prestiged.

So at this moment, I'd pretty sure Nuketown is the best sniping map.

Burtletoy on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    I dunno, Hanoi seems to have good LOS for snipers. So does the map with the beach, whatever that's called.

EDIT: Hah, AK-74u is my new best friend. Not great from a distance, but it can get the job done.

Scat is basically wrong again. Array, WMD, Radiation, Jungle, and Havana all have room for sniping. But it's pretty limited on everything but Array, WMD, and Jungle.

Honestly, I agree with Scat. All those maps you're talking about have room to snipe, but few of them have places where sniping is more effective than just using an AR.

Dragkonias on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Scat just misses quarry and the fun sightlines that map had.

I'm not going to lie, I miss my ump.

my ump.

my lovely lady lump.

There's a thumbs up and a thumbs down emote

where is my middle finger emote

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • thefaisthefais Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Also, my newest complaint about this game.

I dislike that there are only three guns in the game.

The AK-74u
    The Assult Rifle
    And the What the fuck are you using, quit doing it wrong.

You can use any gun you want that's not a sniper rifle and kill people fine in this game.

My dual wielded PM63 class rips people up

That's what I mean when I say all the guns are exactly the same.

Shotguns.

Man, you're just trying to find problems with this game.

All of the guns in this game use bullets to kill people. Would it kill them to put some variety in there?

thefais on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thefais wrote: »

The AK-74u
    The Assult Rifle

You can use any gun you want that's not a sniper rifle and kill people fine in this game.

Shotguns.

All of the guns in this game use bullets to kill people. Would it kill them to put some variety in there?

I know! They could put a knife that shoots knives out of itself, or at least a crossbow!

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Meh. Gimmick weapons are fun for the first few times you use them, then you move on.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2010

The AK-74u
    The Assult Rifle

Shotguns.

I....

I covered shotguns...

Also, Scat, I went to a concert Friday night and opening band was some total weeaboo shit, but they were actually pretty good, too. Ogre You Asshole, do you know of them?

Burtletoy on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish killstreaks were tied to class. It's annoying to be using hardline pro most of the time and then switching to a different class and suddenly have bad killstreaks.

Peewi on
    edited November 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I wish killstreaks were tied to class. It's annoying to be using hardline pro most of the time and then switching to a different class and suddenly have bad killstreaks.

Yeah. Having separate killstreaks for every custom slot is something I've wanted forever.

Dragkonias on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    continued dropshotting argument under the spoils
    rndmhero wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »
    personally my tactic to deal with dropshotters is explained thusly:

prelim: enemy and I encounter face to face
    1) enemy dropshots
    2)a. I stafeshot so he can no longer shoot me, I kill dropshotter
    2)b. (optional) I die
    3) I dust myself off and continue on as normal

it seems the people who endlessly bitch on internet forums deal with dropshotters in this way:

prelim: enemy and I encounter face to face
    1) enemy dropshots
    2) I stand still and shoot above the dropshotter's head then I die
    3) I endlessly bitch about it on internet forums

Alternatively:
    1) I come face to face with an enemy
    2) We both immediately flop to the ground shooting
    3) I kill him
    4) I get up and still think it's a stupid way to play the game

I know it may sound crazy, but it's possible to not be getting killed by something regularly and still think it's a stupid practice that detracts from the game. Saying "lol suck less kthx" over and over is a juvenile response.

I wasn't saying "lol suck less kthx" so don't be doing silly juvenile debating tactics kthx. I'm actually closer to saying "lol deal with it kthx" except I actually gave a way to deal with it so it'd be even closer to "deal with it, here's how: ... but also accept the fact that sometimes you actually get outgunned and there really isn't much you can do about that."

notice the lack of lol's and kthx's in that response, that was intentional. Having those in your response is very similar when in real life you mock imitate someone you find annoying by intentionally doing an impression that sounds really stupid and the target of your disdain doesn't actually sound like, all in an effort to make them sound that much more annoying.

So please if you could take all the herp and derp out of your future posts then we can discuss this topic civilly and like that of grownups.
    lol kthxbye

Please. You don't get to dismiss everyone's well reasoned arguments as "endless internet bitching" and then try and act like some beacon of civility. You might not have said "suck less kthx", but when the copy-paste response to anyone who brings it up boils down to "shoot them more", it's hardly constructive.
    Booker wrote: »
    I'm ready for ~4 maps with open sightlines, so that we can finally start using the sniper rifles.

I would not mind this in the slightest. The maps we have right now are pretty decent overall, but they all seem really close-quarters. I don't have a single custom class right now with a sniper rifle or an ACOG, just because there are no maps open enough to warrant it.

what part of my response was copy-pasted? Am I not allowed to give step-by-step instructions on how to deal with dropshotting? Also what part of it boils down to "shoot them more?"
    There is nothing wrong with going prone and shooting.
    There is nothing unbalanced about doing it because you have the ability to do it to just the same effect as anyone and everyone else.
    I don't do it, I personally don't like it when people do it, I'm not saying "lol I'm bettar than jooos!1" or "lol dakka dakka dem boysz wit' more WAAAUUUGGGHHHH." I even agree that it is dumb. BUT rather than bitch about it endlessly (how many pages has this back and forth been?) I proposed a solution for dealing with it that works sometimes.

what else is left to do? To what end does complaining about it serve? I'm trying real hard to not put words in your mouth, but I mean here's the FORTRAN play-by-play of this discussion:

00 killed by dropshot
    01 complain on forum about dropshot
    02 receive a proposed solution by people on forum
    03 reject proposed solution, call proposer names
    04 GOTO 01

The source of my hyperbolic assertion that you "complain about it endlessly online" is clearly demonstrated on line 04.

I'm not arguing whether your opinion that "dropshotting is silly" is right or wrong, I'm just wondering why my proposed solution is not good enough for you and/or why my proposed solution is an insult to your intelligence and your dignity?

On an entirely other note, can someone explain to me how the theatre works? I'd like to compile a montage of awesome moments, which I assure you fine gentlemen will be done so ironically, but I'm not entirely certain what my best approach should be? How do all the tryhards on youtube do it?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited November 2010
    Acid...we're not arguing about that anymore.

Dragkonias on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, it kind of sucks

tofu on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Too much serious bidness in the BLOPS thread.

Also, when I play domination and any oof the announcers say "C Secure!"

I hear "Si, Senor!"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    there, hidden under the fold so anyone who really wants to continue the loop can still see if they really want to be subjected to the horror.

Also, watched woody's subguns video and I'm saddened by him not calling the 74s a broken overpowered weapon and how he said it'd be used "by competitive" gamers when he really meant to say "by tryhard bitches."

edit: I find 50% of the time, the russian announcer guy calls Bravo "Brava" and then I think about the beer of summer.

acidlacedpenguin on
    edited November 2010
    Meh. It's not the 74s fault it's fabulous.

Dragkonias on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    After the past week I've realized that I'm only ever using Spy Plane, Counter Spy Plane, and Care Package. Probably because my performance is so spotty that I'm lucky to get even a 5 kill streak combined with the absence of the "oh, got my Harrier, now it'll get me my Pavelow" factor.

But the planes and the crate are always useful, and I can get them pretty regularly. I've got a team class with Hardline that's entire job is to get both planes up as much as possible.

And please, no mention of that damn car. I really, really hate that thing for some unfathomable reason.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Too much serious bidness in the BLOPS thread.

Also, when I play domination and any oof the announcers say "C Secure!"

I hear "Si, Senor!"

WE'RE TAKING BRAVAH!

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    If you guys push the thread over before I can get home and post my sexy sexy emblem I am going to be so mad

Well lets talk about that: we're about due for the next one. Anyone want to step up and take it, or should I continue to tend to it?

DietarySupplement on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »

Yeah, it kind of sucks

It also sucks that you have to leave a server before editing your classes

tofu on
    edited November 2010
    After the past week I've realized that I'm only ever using Spy Plane, Counter Spy Plane, and Care Package. Probably because my performance is so spotty that I'm lucky to get even a 5 kill streak combined with the absence of the "oh, got my Harrier, now it'll get me my Pavelow" factor.

But the planes and the crate are always useful, and I can get them pretty regularly. I've got a team class with Hardline that's entire job is to get both planes up as much as possible.

And please, no mention of that damn car. I really, really hate that thing for some unfathomable reason.

I hate the RC because whenever I hear "Friendly RC something something" I'm always wondering why they aren't using a spy place instead.

Dragkonias on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Digging the new thread title, lol.

As for gun flavor...I totally disagree. There's a ton of flavor, and while I have my preferences, sometimes I'll jump from the AK47 to the AUG to the Commando because they're all fun. I love both the FAL and M14. I've used all the SMG's and while some really don't fit me, none of them are "unusable."

People need to get out of their comfort zones and risk going 5-15 for a round with a gun they hate. Also, play Sharpshooter, that'll let you try a bunch of different guns. I got the mastery/1000 kill challenge for every primary and most secondaries in MW2....you just have to play a bit with everything to see the difference.

mr_mich on
    edited November 2010
    For all my bitching about this game, you guys (360 people I play with + too many posters in here) sure have sticks up your butts about the RC-XD.

You know it is really easy to hear coming and it explodes from one bullet or any explosion?

I probably explode 3 time's as many RC-XD's as RC-XD's that explode me. I mean, it is like 500 times less infuriating than a Pred, because you can't shoot down a pred.

Edit: Plus, last night I got two double kills from my tube blowing up an RC someone dropped before entering a doorway, including one game winner.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    People need to get out of their comfort zones and risk going 5-15 for a round with a gun they hate.

Why? I don't like using bad things just because they're bad.

Dragkonias on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh. It's not the 74s fault it's fabulous.

The MAC11 is so much better than the AK74u it's not even funny. It doesn't even need a grip to be a perfectly accurate death machine

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited November 2010
    The 74 doesn't need a grip either.

Actually I put a grenade launcher on it because I find having one on a SMG hilarious.

As for the Mac11, it is good...wish it had a better magazine size.

Dragkonias on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's something about the RC-XD
    Every time I see one coming for me, I shoot at it and nothing happens
    I see it going after someone else, I take it down with no trouble

glithert on
    edited November 2010
    Hipfire works great against RC's as well.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    For all my bitching about this game, you guys (360 people I play with + too many posters in here) sure have sticks up your butts about the RC-XD.

You know it is really easy to hear coming and it explodes from one bullet or any explosion?

I probably explode 3 time's as many RC-XD's as RC-XD's that explode me. I mean, it is like 500 times less infuriating than a Pred, because you can't shoot down a pred.

I just bitch about it when it kills me because I need a reason for me to retain my glorious superiority at the game. I do feel that it shouldn't be matched with the spy plane killstreak simply because there's never anything for me to shoot at when doing the ghost and/or hardened pro challenges.

edit: Also, I went back to an old free-to-play MMOFPS recently just to give me a taste of something else without having to spend forever having steam retrieve a game. The game was called Combat Arms. Anyone who feels the need to rage and/or complain about balance in BLOPS should give Combat Arms and evening of play. It makes me so grateful to be playing BLOPS again.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    If you guys push the thread over before I can get home and post my sexy sexy emblem I am going to be so mad

Well lets talk about that: we're about due for the next one. Anyone want to step up and take it, or should I continue to tend to it?

I can take it man

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hipfire works great against RC's as well.

Lies!

Allthough it probably doesn't help if I freak right the fuck out if I see an RC coming at me. Also, did not know RC's could drive up stairs.

Saw one headed towards me on Hanoi so I ran up a staircase.

Smug.gif

"Ahem..." 'splosion!

The Jammer does fuck all against RC's too....

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited November 2010
    Honestly...I just don't like the RC-XD because I mean.

I just compare it to the Spy Plane

- You're basically giving away a 3-KS for 1 more kill unless you're lucky, a kill you can probably get yourself
    - Spy plane has much greater recon ability
    - Spy plane helps out your entire team and has a much higher kill potential than the RC.

I mean at least with the predator missile it counted towards the next KS so it was a "safe" way to get another point, but RC doesn't even have that.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2010

Edit: Plus, last night I got two double kills from my tube blowing up an RC someone dropped before entering a doorway, including one game winner.

The problem is that it's got really fucking wonky hit detection so that even if you manage to hit it, it won't explode.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Protip, you can tomahawk a Valkyrie to make it blow up midair.

Of course you could shoot it and have the same effect but its nowhere near as badass.

iRevert on
    edited November 2010
    I agree, but why should I be angry about the other team, or even my teammates, doing stupid things that will all but inevtiably make them do worse than me.

I enjoy being at/near the top of the scoreboard, screw you guys.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    Man, the Valkyrie are so garbage.

Dragkonias on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    People need to get out of their comfort zones and risk going 5-15 for a round with a gun they hate.

Whoever said it before was right; you're trying to hate parts of this game.

You yourself even said that all the guns are the same. Thus, there can't be many "bad" guns. I only said 5-15 because some guns just don't suit the way you play, damage statistics aside. Think recoil, fire rate, damage dropoff, etc. You just have to experiment to find what will work for you, a process during which you will occasionally go like 5-15.

mr_mich on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    iRevert wrote: »

Protip, you can tomahawk a Valkyrie to make it blow up midair.

Of course you could shoot it and have the same effect but its nowhere near as badass.

Clips. Now.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited November 2010
    mr_mich wrote: »

Whoever said it before was right; you're trying to hate parts of this game.

You yourself even said that all the guns are the same. Thus, there can't be many "bad" guns. I only said 5-15 because some guns just don't suit the way you play, damage statistics aside. Think recoil, fire rate, damage dropoff, etc. You just have to experiment to find what will work for you, a process during which you will occasionally go like 5-15.

...No, you see, I just can see things I like and don't like about things.

I don't have to be all for or all against.

And I'm not TRYING to find anything, I know for sure I dislike these things after playing the game for quite some time.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2010

The problem is that it's got really fucking wonky hit detection so that even if you manage to hit it, it won't explode.

More than anything I really meant "a single tube will destroy one" cause that's pretty much what I always do.

Cause the only class I used is still the first gun and first attachment I bought when I was rank 5 or whatever.

M16 + tube.

erryday

Burtletoy on