As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Call of Duty: Black Ops (BLOPS) Bunny Hopping, Drop Shots, and Second Chances

• Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Side-arms used to be fun
    now, with the exception of the crossbow/ballistic knife paired with scavenger, they are a sad, dry affair.

Agreed. Never had such a problem downing someone with a pistol. Second chance is pretty useless on me.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Side-arms used to be fun
    now, with the exception of the crossbow/ballistic knife paired with scavenger, they are a sad, dry affair.

Python with an ACOG sight.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »

Not wanting to branch out just because of your precious KD is one thing, but I think he was saying that you were mostly/only tubing people, not that the M16 itself is OP. I think the M16 is pretty garbage for someone as twitchy as me.

I don't know my KD because 1) I don't know where to find it and the menu navagation annoys me pretty regularily so I don't really look for it. 2) I don't really care about it in this game.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    No thanks. Already said numerous times in this thread and in game, I don't think gimping your classes in an attempt to get more enjoyment out of a game is a good thing. Regardless, I won't do it.

You cannot choose to take the easy way out and then bitch about it being too easy at the same time though.
    Edit: And I thought the M16 already was hard mode. I don't think I've seen it mentioned once as OP.

I was more referring to noob tubes. The M16 isn't OP anymore, but it's not hard mode either.
    Edit2: "but also the most stylish", wtf does that mean in a FPS? You are wearing a monocle and top hat? How the fuck do you shoot people stylishly?

By winning in an interesting and challenging fashion.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Side arms are for the times when you run out of ammo on your primary. If you're running around with it out all the time well that's your stylish mistake.

I roll with my pistol out all the time in CoD4, it was a beast for for clearing buildings and great for finishing someone off when your primary clip is empty

tofu on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know I used dual .44's in MW2 all the time.

Dual Python's seem to be lacking though.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Side arms are for the times when you run out of ammo on your primary. If you're running around with it out all the time well that's your stylish mistake.

I roll with my pistol out all the time in CoD4, it was a beast for for clearing buildings and great for finishing someone off when your primary clip is empty

It was amazing. Stopping power was really key to it though, so I'm not sure how viable it will be in BLOPS.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Not wanting to branch out just because of your precious KD is one thing, but I think he was saying that you were mostly/only tubing people, not that the M16 itself is OP. I think the M16 is pretty garbage for someone as twitchy as me.

I don't know my KD because 1) I don't know where to find it and the menu navagation annoys me pretty regularily so I don't really look for it. 2) I don't really care about it in this game.

Then WHY won't you try new stupid things? Like flamethrower demolition? Double Shotgun runner? Zippy ACOG Sniper? Be a supply crate whore, or go hardline and get two kills and die repeatedly and build up 20 XC-RDs? (is there a limit to that btw?) Build up 10 napalm strikes and SET THE WORLD ON FIRE!

The point is, you're right in that they shouldn't FORCE you to try new things. And you're wrong in that you should "on principle" not try new things just because you shouldn't have to.

Try to have fun, or stop playing.

EDIT. Or at least stop bitching to us about your numerous non-attempts to enjoy the game.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It was amazing. Stopping power was really key to it though, so I'm not sure how viable it will be in BLOPS.

I think pistols used to be faster, it seems like they take longer to switch to and aim down the sights

Maybe it's just me?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Then WHY won't you try new stupid things? Like flamethrower demolition? Double Shotgun runner? Zippy ACOG Sniper? Be a supply crate whore, or go hardline and get two kills and die repeatedly and build up 20 XC-RDs? (is there a limit to that btw?) Build up 10 napalm strikes and SET THE WORLD ON FIRE!

The point is, you're right in that they shouldn't FORCE you to try new things. And you're wrong in that you should "on principle" not try new things just because you shouldn't have to.

EDIT. Or at least stop bitching to us about your numerous non-attempts to enjoy the game.

Who said I don't try new things?

Quit bein' wrong.

And I will bitch about whatever I want to bitch about.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Should've boosted the damage on the pistols a bit and kept machine pistols in, balanced more like the c75 is. I guess they're not really for the era they're going for as much.

I think they could've easily kept a sawn-off as a secondary as well as the steakhouse. They should've put the AA12 in as a primary.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I think pistols used to be faster, it seems like they take longer to switch to and aim down the sights

Maybe it's just me?

I think it is just that if you aren't in knife range they take 1 bullet more than they did in earlier CoD games, asnd clip size didn't increase so you run out easier and have less room for errors with the pistols.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't get the guns in this iteration.
    the ak74u is just too good, grip with steady aim pr0 and you're taking out 3 guys in a row before you're reloading. both the famas and the aug beat any other AR hands down. shotguns are cute but lose to anything else outside of 5 meters and knives if you miss your first volley within 5 meters. everything else can be used "for fun" but if you wanna compete you need one of the three above mentioned muskets.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    evilthecat wrote: »
    the ak74u is just too good, grip with steady aim pr0 and you're taking out 3 guys in a row before you're reloading. both the famas and the aug beat any other AR hands down. shotguns are cute but lose to anything else outside of 5 meters and knives if you miss your first volley within 5 meters. everything else can be used "for fun" but if you wanna compete you need one of the three above mentioned muskets.

I think people surverly discount the M16. It is good. Very good even.

It still drops in one burst many times, even if it isn't supposed to.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You did?

The problem is that it's got really fucking wonky hit detection so that even if you manage to hit it, it won't explode.

More than anything I really meant "a single tube will destroy one" cause that's pretty much what I always do.

Cause the only class I used is still the first gun and first attachment I bought when I was rank 5 or whatever.

M16 + tube.

erryday

Now I understand why you were saying this game is too easy. It's because you are playing on easy mode.

For a greater challenge, I recommend using a weapon you need to hit the target with to do damage to them, for example.

Alternatively, while I am out of practice, I could outscore everyone on both teams back in the day with the 1911 + knife + explosives.

If your goal is, "Leave no doubt that not only am I the best player on this server, but also the most stylish," the game is considerably harder than if your goal is, "spam noob tubes until I get one of the easy killstreaks and then spawn kill people with that."

No thanks. Already said numerous times in this thread and in game, I don't think gimping your classes in an attempt to get more enjoyment out of a game is a good thing. Regardless, I won't do it.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Woo, I did a good run with Olympia + M1911 Ext Mag. The Olympia is still really good at killing shit, until you run into a group of three or more.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Side-arms used to be fun

Python with an ACOG sight.

I was excited for it, but it takes 3 shots to down someone at any sort of range where an ACOG is an advantage and it kicks like a mule on top of that.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Burt, as a fellow Pens fan I'm not saying this as an attack, but you're a powergamer. You said yourself that you don't see the point in rolling with anything BUT the most powerful class. As a powergamer, fun is directly correlated with winning, so most of arguments will seem nonsensical to you.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I think people surverly discount the M16. It is good. Very good even.

It still drops in one burst many times, even if it isn't supposed to.

I really wanted to like the m16. it doesn't sound like firing wet dog poop in this cod.
    but it just didn't work for me.

at range, yeah, it's fucking amazing (unless the other guy happens to somehow have mastered the recoil on his galil/famas and he full autos you down from a silly range. but up close? jesus. you need full auto for that.
    now you might say "well don't get too close then" but the way this game works, what with no existing teamplay, odd spawns and peculiar map design, there aren't many opportunities for you to set up shop behing a wall or in a building without there being 3+ routes to get to you and plant some semtex on the back of your head.

Also, I'm under the impression the game doesn't actually "look" to see where every bullet went making the m16 bursts problematic. but that might just be me..

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm no good with the FAL. I don't see how Luigi uses that thing to take people down close range. I really want to get good with the M14/FAL, but I fail so hard with them. Either I turn a corner and eat a faceful of AK47u in CQB, or miss my 2nd and third shots when trying to hit mid/long-range.

I've been doing ok with the Commando, slightly different feel from my trusty Galil. I just prestiged again so it will be a while before I use it again, but I'll try and actually use it before lvl 49 this time around.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I really wanted to like the m16. it doesn't sound like firing wet dog poop in this cod.
    This. Am I the only one majorly disappointed with the sounds? I'm playing on a 5.1 Onkyo Surround system and MW2 was an epic cavalcade of aural assault. The guns in Blops seem to sound like sewing machines or airsoft guns.

My friends all say I'm crazy; but they're using built-in speakers.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    mr_mich wrote: »
    This. Am I the only one majorly disappointed with the sounds? I'm playing on a 5.1 Onkyo Surround system and MW2 was an epic cavalcade of aural assault. The guns in Blops seem to sound like sewing machines or airsoft guns.

Are your sound options set right?

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You did?

The problem is that it's got really fucking wonky hit detection so that even if you manage to hit it, it won't explode.

More than anything I really meant "a single tube will destroy one" cause that's pretty much what I always do.

Cause the only class I used is still the first gun and first attachment I bought when I was rank 5 or whatever.

M16 + tube.

erryday

Now I understand why you were saying this game is too easy. It's because you are playing on easy mode.

For a greater challenge, I recommend using a weapon you need to hit the target with to do damage to them, for example.

Alternatively, while I am out of practice, I could outscore everyone on both teams back in the day with the 1911 + knife + explosives.

If your goal is, "Leave no doubt that not only am I the best player on this server, but also the most stylish," the game is considerably harder than if your goal is, "spam noob tubes until I get one of the easy killstreaks and then spawn kill people with that."

Oh. Try new things really means try bad thing to you?

"Hey, why don't you try spinning in circles before you shoot people, surely that will make the game more challenging"

"Well, sure, but also retarded"

I just bought the Enfield and the Galil last night for the first time. I tried new things. They were exactly the same as the old things I tried. Then I went back to enjoying the M16. Then I tried the default Sniper Class for the first time and went like 30-10 on Dom Nuketown. Then I went back to enjoying my M16.

And I will continue to feel free to bitch about whever I want to bitch about. Report me, Ignore me, or stop telling me what you want me to do.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Are your sound options set right?

Elaborate? Is there a setting that I'm missing besides volume? I assume you mean in-game, not my system itself.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well there is of course the TV/Surrounded/etc option, but also wondering if the Loud/Soft options make much of a difference.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'll check it out when I get home..you've given me some hope. I'll be kicking myself in the ass if I've literally been hearing pew-pews (and bitching about it) unnecessarily.

I need to go back and reread it, but did someone seriously complain about shotguns being beat outside of short ranges? o_O

mr_mich on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Huh, my brother's emblem got changed in game to a skeleton man smoking, from that T-rex with a monocle that he had

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Burt, as a fellow Pens fan I'm not saying this as an attack, but you're a powergamer. You said yourself that you don't see the point in rolling with anything BUT the most powerful class. As a powergamer, fun is directly correlated with winning, so most of arguments will seem nonsensical to you.

I don't see it as an attack.
    I never said I don't see any point in using anything BUT the most powerful, I said I don't see a point in using specifically underpowered/stupid gimmick weapons to try and tmake the game more challenging, which is a subtle but important difference.

I didn't run a FAMAS/UMP on every class in MW2, I don't run a FAMAS/AK74u on every class in Blops.

But I'm not going to make a akimbo scorpian class with gas mask to give people a better chance to kill me, either.

And, yes, fun is in direct correlation with winning. Does this suprise people?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The RPK with extended mags is pretty boss.

Its also a good way to tell an enemy to just "Wait right the fuck there while my brother circles around and violates you with a knife" by just holding the trigger down.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You did?

M16 + tube.

erryday

Oh. Try new things really means try bad thing to you?

"Hey, why don't you try spinning in circles before you shoot people, surely that will make the game more challenging"

"Well, sure, but also retarded"

I just bought the Enfield and the Galil last night for the first time. I tried new things. They were exactly the same as the old things I tried. Then I went back to enjoying the M16. Then I tried the default Sniper Class for the first time and went like 30-10 on Dom Nuketown. Then I went back to enjoying my M16.

And I will continue to feel free to bitch about whever I want to bitch about. Report me, Ignore me, or stop telling me what you want me to do.

Well unfortunately the default sniper class is not all of the sniper options. And I still think he was talking about the attachment, not the gun itself.

And I want you to equip the flamethrower, jump into the middle of a pack of guys capturing some objective, and spin around while setting them all ablaze. Upload the clip to Youtube and then come back and post it. :P

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Well unfortunately the default sniper class is not all of the sniper options. And I still think he was talking about the attachment, not the gun itself.

And I want you to equip the flamethrower, jump into the middle of a pack of guys capturing some objective, and spin around while setting them all ablaze. Upload the clip to Youtube and then come back and post it. :P

I tried the L96 before my first prestige.

I tried the dragunov last night.

They aren't bad if you know what you are doing with them. But, they aren't near as useful as the AK74u or The Assult Rifle (take your pick, it comes in 3 flavors, automatic, semi-auto, or 3 round burst)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't see it as an attack.
    I never said I don't see any point in using anything BUT the most powerful, I said I don't see a point in using specifically underpowered/stupid gimmick weapons to try and tmake the game more challenging, which is a subtle but important difference.

I didn't run a FAMAS/UMP on every class in MW2, I don't run a FAMAS/AK74u on every class in Blops.

But I'm not going to make a akimbo scorpian class with gas mask to give people a better chance to kill me, either.

And, yes, fun is in direct correlation with winning. Does this suprise people?

FWIW I'm not suggesting you play akimbo skorps or something dumb. But...there's a lot of guns out there. Flamethrowers are really viable paired with a long-range weapon (my M14/flame class is a blast to play with...not against). Grenade launchers aren't even that competitive anymore, as you only get what, 1 or 2 shots? If you learn to play, and I'm deliberately using this word, properly by shooting mans with bullets your score will go way up. You're basically taking a shortcut now to get halfway there...I'm not the best at this game but of all the great noobtubers I've seen they still can't beat people that are good at shooting.

There's definitely a correlation between winning and fun, but the problem is that for powergamers fun implies you won. I still enjoy this game when I'm getting beat by a cooperating/skilled team.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly...I just don't like the RC-XD because I mean.

I just compare it to the Spy Plane

- You're basically giving away a 3-KS for 1 more kill unless you're lucky, a kill you can probably get yourself
    - Spy plane has much greater recon ability
    - Spy plane helps out your entire team and has a much higher kill potential than the RC.

I mean at least with the predator missile it counted towards the next KS so it was a "safe" way to get another point, but RC doesn't even have that.

I ran Spy Plane religiously until a few nights ago, when I swapped it out for the RC/XD, and I'm really liking the decision. It probably depends a lot on what game types you're playing, but I do pretty much nothing but Domination, and I run with a full team most of the time. Couple of things to keep in mind:

In Domination games, you pretty much always know where your opponent's coming from and where they're going (from their spawn, to the objectives, typically). If you're playing with a team, everyone should be vocal about enemy positions, and you shouldn't necessarily need the red dots on the map. Also, most of our squad runs with Care Packages, so we're all constantly putting up Spy Planes from those.

The RC/XD is like a super-grenade that I use to defend my objectives. Like, say I'm tucked into B on Hanoi, and I hear we're losing A: I drop my little car and drive it down the street onto the objective. It gets there a hell of a lot faster than I could run, and it gives me eyes in the area before it gets blown up, so I can tell my team if there're more enemies heading in.

Or if I get killed at B on Cracked, and it spawns me way the hell in the back of C? I can drop my little car and drive it straight up the road onto the objective, most of the time, before they can even capture it. It's just a super-quick little guy, and it has a hell of a lot of utility.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tube attach to a gun doesn't mean you don't shoot people with bullets, btw.

Tubes are a situational weapon.

Used in certain situations.

Like a guy in a window, behind cover, while your clips is empty and you can't reload in time, encountering a group or enemy face on, etc.

I also shoot people. This game even records your K:D by weapon shots AND by M203's.

So I can see how many times more kills I have by shooting the M16 than by shooting the Tube. (Sure, the Tube K:d is almost a perfect 2.0 while the M16 is more like 1.6, but the M16 is an order of magitude more kills as well)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    RCXD is fine if used in tandem on your team with spyplane...you need both. milkduck's example is also important; on objective game types where enemy concentration is predictable the spyplane loses value AND the RCXD gains value. When playing with pubs though, it's tough to coordinate killstreaks as a team though, and it's more frustrating to have all RCXD's than all spyplanes.

Plus, RCXD's have an uncanny ability to find me. I compared my RCXD deaths/hour with my friends and I like...triple theirs.

EDIT: Burt, yeah, reading back a few pages I'm mistaken. I was under the impression that you tube primarily, occasionally suffering the M16 when you were out of tubeses. My apologies on that. Still, I'm not sure which guns you've tried/what your playstyle is, but I keep retrying guns I hated before only to fall in love again. Maybe my style's just really inconsistent.

Plus, if anyone feels like things are stagnating, try hardcore with a buddy or two. Sack up and realize it may take a couple rounds of bad K/D to get the rhythm of it, but it's a nice change of pace and it ISN'T all camping.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I'm no good with the FAL. I don't see how Luigi uses that thing to take people down close range. I really want to get good with the M14/FAL, but I fail so hard with them. Either I turn a corner and eat a faceful of AK47u in CQB, or miss my 2nd and third shots when trying to hit mid/long-range.

There's no real trick to it, I just iron-sight and fire rapidly. If you used the FAL in MW2 it's even better here.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As stupid as FFA on Nuketown is, it appears to be a pretty fast way to get XP.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tube attach to a gun doesn't mean you don't shoot people with bullets, btw.

Tubes are a situational weapon.

Used in certain situations.

Like a guy in a window, behind cover, while your clips is empty and you can't reload in time, encountering a group or enemy face on, etc.

I also shoot people. This game even records your K:D by weapon shots AND by M203's.

So I can see how many times more kills I have by shooting the M16 than by shooting the Tube. (Sure, the Tube K:d is almost a perfect 2.0 while the M16 is more like 1.6, but the M16 is an order of magitude more kills as well)

Or when someone breaks line of sight when you've been trying to get him down. I use tubes now the same way I did in MW2, 2 are plenty.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Agreed @ Jaunty

But I do think it's humerous how Treyarch was all "Tubes were way overpowered, so we dropped them down from MW2's "Everyone gets 5 tubes manditory to start with" to "You only get two" (but they are still way better than CoD4's "You lose a perk if you attach a tube")

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    As stupid as FFA on Nuketown is, it appears to be a pretty fast way to get XP.

Domination on nuketown is the fastest way to get xp ever. Prime a frag for three seconds on the way out from behind whatever house, lob it on B, get a kill. Cut across to the other house, get a kill. Go upstairs, get a bunch of kills. Get out the window and onto that little over-hang thing and stay there running around shooting people as they run out on the ground level below you until you die. Then repeat.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png