As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best Korea and Dear Leader's Howitzers

override367override367 ALL minionsRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
North-Korea-is-Best-Korea-Kim-Jong-il.jpg

Today, approximately 30 minutes ago North Korea shelled a tiny island inhabited by 1300 South Korean Citizens

South Korea responded by shelling in return and launching airstrikes

Is this more saber rattling or is shit getting real? Is KJI off his meds? What do they have to gain from this?

I'm personally not sure if I should be worried. The fact that nobody has been killed seems to indicate that this was a very carefully calculated penis-smacking rather than an attempt to start a renewed conflict.

override367 on

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sweet, another Korean War. I swear if anyone is going to end the world it's those fuckers.

Does the DPRK have any allies, other than the super uneasy thing they've got going on with China?

SmokeStacks on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sweet, another Korean War. I swear if anyone is going to end the world it's those fuckers.

Does the DPRK have any allies, other than the super uneasy thing they've got going on with China?

You don't need any allies when you are a crazy loon with your own agenda

Edit - here is a link to the map from the OP's article

_50106003_skorea_islands_nov10.gif

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do you consider our aversion to the non-existence of Seoul an ally?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Technically its not another war since the first Korean war is going on. No one died from this so I'd assume its not as big a deal as when NK recently sank a SK ship, or kidnapped japanese and south korean civilians, or axemurdered some US soldiers. I doubt the war is going to start back up because of this but at the same time I'm glad I don't like in Seoul.

Neaden on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

This is an urban legend, North Korea has only around 60 artillery pieces capable of hitting Seoul, and that's at the absolute edge of their range, none within range of the city center.

Which isn't meant to be comforting, the bulk of the SK population is still within their reach, but Seoul itself is less doomed than is popularly believed.

override367 on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It conveys the proper point.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gosh I hope we don't have a nuclear war

that'd suck dick

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

This is an urban legend, North Korea has only around 60 artillery pieces capable of hitting Seoul, and that's at the absolute edge of their range, none within range of the city center.

Which isn't meant to be comforting, the bulk of the SK population is still within their reach, but Seoul itself is less doomed than is popularly believed.

If I remember correctly last time something happened somebody posted a couple of links where people had been estimating the coverage of the NK artillery.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited November 2010
    GeoMitch wrote:

that'd suck dick

As far as anyone can tell Best Korea doesn't have the capability yet, although they did surprise everyone when they said "Oh hey, check out our sweet uranium enrichment facility", which led to half of the CIA shitting it's pants, and the other half saying "I told you so".

SmokeStacks on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    KJI must be insane. God. I do not think they are in imminent threat, but poor South Korea, having to deal with his shit.

Muse Among Men on
    edited November 2010
    GeoMitch wrote:

that'd suck dick

As far as anyone can tell Best Korea doesn't have the capability yet, although they did surprise everyone when they said "Oh hey, check out our sweet uranium enrichment facility", which led to half of the CIA shitting it's pants, and the other half saying "I told you so".

I'm not entirely convinced that all of the equipment in the plant is entirely functional, the expert was only allowed to see it from above so

I mean I could be wrong, it wouldn't surprise me, but given their shenanigans in the past I would find it equally likely that some tomfoolery is involved

override367 on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GeoMitch wrote: »

that'd suck dick

if we did it would only be tactical scale, no one that can hit anywhere else has any interesting in even threatening to defend NK

it would pretty much mean bye-bye entirety of korean peninsula and fallout for the rest of asia, but that's about it

L|ama on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well I suppose NK likes to keep things interesting. My day was going just fine and then "wham!" artillery fire.

The real danger with this shit is that it cascades: if SK returns fire, the problem is whether other NK units decide to get involved and then boom! Second Korean War.

electricitylikesme on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CNN.com is saying one person was killed and 15 injured by the NK strike. Seriously NK is fucking crazy.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    D6Yc9.jpg

One confirmed kill

Edit: Beaten, but still relevant

Snowblindvictim on
    edited November 2010
    I'm really hoping the [strike]lack of deaths[/strike] small number of deaths is because the North Koreans intentionally avoided directly hitting structures that were obviously occupied

That or they're really bad shots

Edit: God damnit

override367 on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GAF is reporting that the death was a soldier, but I don't know their sources

This is pretty worrying though

/edit

scaledphptn0server8fileo.jpg

Jintor on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How fucking stupid does the guy who ordered this have to be?

Ethan Smith on
    edited November 2010
    Well we may not know, he may have been killed by a south korean air to ground missile

override367 on
  • KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    2012...oh shit

Kworn on
    edited November 2010
    The best news we could get out of this was that it was some jackass who decided to make a name for himself and not a directive from the top

override367 on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's really just some awesome promo for that new game where North Korea conquers the US and you have to take it back.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited November 2010
    No matter what happens I hope to god the US never lands a single boot past the 38th

Won't improve things for anyone

override367 on
    edited November 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    It's really just some awesome promo for that new game where North Korea conquers the US and you have to take it back.

Homefront is kind of cool, yes, but this is actually kinda scary

Jintor on
    edited November 2010
    Eh, now that I think about it, odds are it's a ploy for the DPRK to negotiate for higher aid from the UN. They'll get paid off like they always do because it's cheaper and safer than going to war.

SmokeStacks on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    D6Yc9.jpg

One confirmed kill

Edit: Beaten, but still relevant

Anger mounting over TSA junk-touching! In other news, potential nuclear war.

I honestly don't know what to think. Judging from past experience, nothing much will come of this. It could cascade, but it was the same with the ship-sinking, the hostage-taking and a gazillion other incidients exactly like this over the past half-century. The only difference here is that SK is retaliating, which might provoke retaliation for their retaliation, and retaliation for their retaliation's retaliation. E.t.c.

On the other hand, Dear Leader is completely insane and near-death, and may have decided now is his time to go out with a bang. In which case... shit.

Mr Ray on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Isn't his son even more deranged than he is?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I think there's barely any information either way on Kim Jong-un

Jintor on
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I remember reading that 1 of his 3 sons is pretty batshit, but another is much more even-keeled and more open to world inclusion. I can't remember which is which though.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2010
    The even-keeled one is one of the elder ones, I believe, i.e. not Un

Jintor on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh what the fuck.

I'm checking twitter, getting ready to sleep, and this pops up.

Goddamnit North Korea why can't you chill out.

Between this and the attack on the Serbian parliament a few weeks ago, things are starting to look like it might start to get bad.

EDIT: http://www.livestation.com/channels/3-al_jazeera_english livestream of coverage if you want to follow this.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only son any of us need to be caring about is the one supposedly most like his father.

So... i guess he's bat-shit?

Al_wat on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kim Jong Il JUST uploaded a youtube message in response to these attacks. It's quite shocking:

http://www.tubedubber.com/#lwoSFQb5HVk:k3f9JlDSS9E:0:100:0:0:true

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bad news.

Hopefully cooler heads prevail and this doesn't get out of hand.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Hopefully cooler heads prevail and this doesn't get out of hand.

It never does. Not with the Koreas. Too much to lose.

DarkCrawler on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »

Homefront is kind of cool, yes, but this is actually kinda scary

I'm kinda desensitized after the boat incident I don't feel this time is gonna be any different.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited November 2010
    Oh man, of course this would happen while the Daily Show/Colbert team are on break

Jintor on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/9218848.stm

Second marine died.

EDIT:
    The White House says it "strongly condemns" the North Korean attack on South Korea, adding it is firmly committed to the defence of South Korea, regional peace and stability, Reuters reports.

"Hey Carl, North Korea shelled South Korea, the press secretary wants a statement, what should I write?"

"North Korea? Write? Just grab file 2B from section A01-C and pick one that sounds good."

"Oh."

DarkCrawler on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Prediction: South Korea + USFK shell North Korean location in return, if North Korea doesn't do escalate from there, that's where it'll end. If North Korea does escalate from there, oh boy.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't honestly see the USFK being directly involved before any escalation.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png