As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please be harsh...

SaeboutSaebout Registered User new member
edited November 2010 in Artist's Corner
This is my very first blog/ thread ever. My friend told me not to start a thread right after creating an account, but I would like to start improving my art despite his caution.

I've been using photo-shoop for about 6 years and have been doodling as long as I can recall. I do however, want to start getting serious with my art, perhaps on a game-conceptualization level.

I look forward to inspirational references and experienced suggestions, NOT NOOB OPINIONS. robot_by_saebout-d33d62c.jpg

Saebout on

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do you have any drawings from life or even from imagination but of subjects where folks can more accurately gauge your illustration ability; i.e. people, animals, household objects?

Based just on the robot I'd say you could use some practice with light sources and how they interact with different materials (couldn't we all). Also, what kind of brush/brush settings are you using? I think this would benefit from less smudgy coloring; it's an inorganic object but there aren't many crisp, defined edges.

Welcome to the AC. :)

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    SaeboutSaebout Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    thank you for the feedback. since this was my first actual "Coloring" of a drawing, my style actually changed as i was filling the areas in. Essentially I select the area where the color goes, lay down a base layer of red, then dodge and burn in the shapes at around 12% for light depth then enhance the intensity to around 35% for deep or bright shape

Saebout on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Stay away from dodge and burn and manually choose colors for shadows and highlights; you'll not only develop your color sense but your finished product will look less flat and murky. Shadows and highlights have their own colors, not to mention objects pick up reflected light from their surroundings.

Someone is eventually going to link this so it might as well be me: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=876

the 3rd to last paragraph deals with what squidbunny said. though that whole last section seems like it would help :) (I just read it a few mins ago, thought I'd post it here)

Also, dig the changes on the mouth. Mrfle

ninjai on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    :lol: welcome to the forums!

Squidbunny's advice is spot-on...and I also agree that it would be nice to see some more drawings from you, especially drawings that you may've done from life. Seeing a large sample of a person's work makes it easier for us to see where you may need help.

In addition to the dodge/burn comments, I'd suggest you try and make the edges of your robot sharper. It looked like you used a hard-edged brush some of the time, and a soft brush at some other points. Try to make the edges of each area more defined.

NightDragon on