As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So when CAN you call someone a racist?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    It's too bad that only white people can be called racist.
    I'm weeping bitter tears and rending my garments even now

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • CyberpumpkinCyberpumpkin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yikes, color me shouted down.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Oh ho ho.

DarkPrimus on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    The insulting bit there is of course that they assume these things because that is what they think they would do in the same situation.

If I were Taye Diggs or Tyrese Gibson, I would surely go after white women.

And black women.

And Asian women.

And blasian women.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's too bad that only white people can be called racist.

Racism is based around the idea of inherent superiority, and tend to carry more weight when there's some sort of institutionalized structure to back it up. There are very few areas where minorities claim superiority, and fewer still where there's an institution to back it up.
    It's also too bad that only white people can be assholes. If you call out a non-caucasian on a behavior that would get a whitey pegged as a Grade-A asshole, and suddenly you're a racist.

Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Schrodinger on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

Yeah, that tends to happen to people who are wrong around here.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Racism is based around the idea of inherent superiority, and tend to carry more weight when there's some sort of institutionalized structure to back it up. There are very few areas where minorities claim superiority, and fewer still where there's an institution to back it up.
    I've learned not to talk about the power dynamics stuff to people, because while true, it make it too easy for guys like that dude in the last thread to go "I'm poor, how can I be racist?"

I just try to make them come to terms with the absurdity of whining about the outside chance of maybe accidentally getting accused of racism vs. actual crushing poverty and social breakdown. But apparently there are people for whom this worry occupies their every waking day

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited May 2007
    Nobody's ever seen that? Really? A white guy says "Man, what an asshole" and suddenly there's a chorous of howler monkeys calling that guy a racist? Maybe I'm just lucky to have witnessed someone being called racist when they had a legitimate complaint about someone who happens to be from another group.

It's hard for me to believe that nobody's seen this happen, but if they haven't, it's great that they live in such an enlightened atmosphere.

If my experience of this dynamic really sounds that bizarre, I apologize for speaking as if it represented something commonplace.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hi, Im Detharin and apparently believing the following makes one a racist.

I think the job should go to the most qualified candidate regardless of skin color, needing to have X amount of skin color Y and Z amount of skin color Q is crap. Hire the candidate who is best qualified for the job.

I believe everyone living in the United States of American, even california, should speak english. I dont care where you immigrated from, learn the language.

I believe that if a black man and a white man walk into a job with the same degrees and experience the chance of a callback should be the same for both, with race not mattering at all.

I believe that 4 black man killing, raping, and torturing a woman to death should not go unreported while a case of white men doing the same to black women is all over the news. Both should be reported equally.

I believe that all people, of all skin colors and nationalities should be given a fair shake, and if found to be complete morons I should be allowed to tell them to go frell themselves without fear of being called a racist.

Im Detharin, and i hate you all. Equally.

Detharin on
    edited May 2007
    Nobody's ever seen that? Really? A white guy says "Man, what an asshole" and suddenly there's a chorous of howler monkeys calling that guy a racist?

Maybe I'm just lucky to have witnessed someone being called racist when they had a legitimate complaint about someone from another group.

I'm sorry that your acquaintance was temporarily inconvenienced.

I'm not sure what it has to do with millions of Americans being cut out of economic opportunities or being denied places to live, though.

Or maybe you didn't read the thread? You should, it's got some interesting stuff. I got limed, it was pretty cool.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited May 2007
    Hi detherin! you sure are good at wilfully misinterpreting people in order to scramble up on that high horse!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nobody's ever seen that? Really? A white guy says "Man, what an asshole" and suddenly there's a chorous of howler monkeys calling that guy a racist?
    Uh, nope. I'm terribly sorry to hear about it though. Really. Being called a racist must have been terrible for you.

Azio on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Its an interesting one.

I'm white, and have an Asian (Indian) girlfriend. We tend to spend some time in areas where there is a large Indian community (we live in London). When we walk down the street, I get honest-to-goodness "dirty looks". We once had an Asian bus driver go past, point and waggle his finger side to side like he was saying "no". I'm standing there thinking "did I jut get told off?".

So I obviously feel singled out and judged. I've had it explained that its seen as bad or even shameful for an Indian girl to go out with a white guy by some people - and these people can only be judging me on the colour of my skin...

When my girlfriend goes to predominantly white areas, there have been occasions where for whatever reason - she felt intimidated a little. She wont hesitate to describe an entire place as feeling "a little racist". Yet when I bring up how I feel, its not racist, its a "cultural thing".

I found the whole thing quite interesting.

PS. Please note I'm only commenting only on the whole "when can you use the word 'racist'?" discussion. I have no real axe to grind here and am in no way judging a group of people by the behaviour of a few (on the whole, I'm treated very well).

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    There's a tendency for people from minority cultures to consider people from the same backgrounds as more likely potential partners and therefore 'theirs' in a sense, yes. Its a bit icky, because its basically racism+sexism+parochial bullshit.

'cism!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Detharin wrote: »
    go frell themselves
    Oh shit, guys, he's serious, he used a Muppet swear word.
    I believe that if a black man and a white man walk into a job with the same degrees and experience the chance of a callback should be the same for both, with race not mattering at all.

So...so you read the thread and were pretty incensed about the black guys getting fewer callbacks than the white convicts, right? Right?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited May 2007
    I said "howler monkeys" for a reason: It's noise with no thinking behind it. The content doesn't bother me, but the noise does, a little.

Mostly what bugs me is people opportunistically looking for chances to point and shout "racist!"

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, before we get sidetracked into "middle class white guys are totally oppressed too! look at us! look at us!!!", its worth pointing out that 'racist' is an over-applied pejorative in a lot of online discussion arenas, particularly blogs. Really annoying stuff. Its a good idea to distinguish that from what happens when someone loudly and persistently denies the existence of privilege and gets schooled, though.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    *sigh* Privilage is great for the privilaged, I've gotta admit.

So, The Cat, when can you call someone racist?

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Mostly what bugs me is people opportunistically looking for chances to point and shout "racist!"
    Well...you could opt to be bothered by actual, demonstrable racism. And maybe there'd be fewer people "pointing fingers" if there was less actual racism. Your experience with that guy does not exist in a vacuum: maybe what you said was totally innocent and he misinterpreted it, but that doesn't mean that he hadn't taken shit from ten white guys before you and maybe was not in the most charitable mood.

Anyway, if the guy was a dick, and you "called him on it," then why was it so traumatic for him to accuse you of racism, to the extent that it seems to be all you can think about?

Loath as I am to self-plagiarize, here's what I wrote in another thread:
    jacobkosh wrote:
    You might unintentionally give offense. It does happen sometimes, although much more rarely than fucking Rush Limbaugh would have you believe - and you know, when it does happen, nine times out of ten you won't hear about it, because the other person will just sigh and shake their head and try to get along with you anyway, or they'll write you off as a tard and avoid you. If they do get offended and tell you, quit sweating bullets! Apologize and endeavor not to repeat that mistake. If the person's cool, it won't be a big deal, and you'll have learned something.

This isn't special 21st century space wisdom. This is, like, eighteenth century elementary diplomacy. I think the real problem is that more and more the internerd keeps us from having to interact with people with vastly different backgrounds and worldviews, so we've forgotten the simple elegant rules for how to get along with people. But look: bottom line, if you're not sure how to handle a situation, ask yourself what would a decent gracious person do in this circumstance, and then copy them. The moral compass does not point towards racism or dickery.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited May 2007
    when they're being racists. this isn't rocket science.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    go frell themselves
    Oh shit, guys, he's serious, he used a Muppet swear word.

So...so you read the thread and were pretty incensed about the black guys getting fewer callbacks than the white convicts, right? Right?

Actually its from Farscape, i rather enjoy it.

Incensed? No, frankly I think its crap but im not going to get incensed. Because there is nothing i can do to stop racism. Well lets make laws so certain minorities get preference. Well preference is racism so that doesnt work. Umm try and be a better person? Well thats all well and good for me, but doesnt really affect the populous at large. Racism can, and will eventually die. Best way to kill it is to integrate people, and treat everyone equally. Every time a law is passed, or a behavior is accepted that gives one race preference over another its racism and increases the problem.

As for Azio how have i willfully misinterpreted ANYONE?

As for the original question of when CAN you call someone a racist the answer depends. If your not white its anytime you like when your not getting your way, preferencial treatment, been called on acting like a moron, or any other time you feel like shifting the blame. Should you though is a different question. Theres a reason we have the saying "playing the race card". Because you cannot disprove racism. There is not words, gestures, or anything else a person can provide to prove they arent a racist. It is an area where one is guilty, with no hope of proving innocent.

For the poor whit guys, you dont, you cant call anyone a racist because hating white guys is completely, socially ok. That however is another topic.

Detharin on
    edited May 2007
    I think the job should go to the most qualified candidate regardless of skin color, needing to have X amount of skin color Y and Z amount of skin color Q is crap. Hire the candidate who is best qualified for the job.

And of course, we know how well that works out in reality:

20030910-wessel.gif

The problem is that every time you meet someone new, your mind will consider the persons good points, and it will consider the persons bad points. The problem is that the persons "good" points seem to stick better in some situations, and the "bad" points seem to stick better in others.
    I believe everyone living in the United States of American, even california, should speak english. I dont care where you immigrated from, learn the language.

Even if you're 50 years old and you've gotten by fine without it?

Appeal to wishful thinking. I'd like to believe that good things only happen to good people and that bad things only happen to bad people, but that's just not how the world works.
    I believe that 4 black man killing, raping, and torturing a woman to death should not go unreported

Uh... what?! Is this an anecdotal case that happened to a friend of yours or something? Because I'm curious to if this actually happened, and if it did, how you managed to hear about it if it went unreported. I mean, because the media is so reluctant to report crimes by black people and all. :roll:
    while a case of white men doing the same to black women is all over the news. Both should be reported equally.

Two words: Natalee Holloway.
    I believe that all people, of all skin colors and nationalities should be given a fair shake, and if found to be complete morons I should be allowed to tell them to go frell themselves without fear of being called a racist.

Once again, appeal to wishful thinking. The problem is that people just seem more inclined to believe that the black guy is a moron with the same information.

Schrodinger on
    edited May 2007
    Just wondering. Three pages, no lock and your continued contribution suggest (at least to me) that it's not 100% clear to everyone.

jacobkosh, is it not unfair for his reaction to hypothetical me to be influenced by those previous ten interactions? Sounds like he's basing his reaction to man #11 at least partly on his experiences with men #1-10.

Isn't that the foundation of what's typically referred to as "discrimination" (not the dictionary definition, the social rhetoric definition)?

I guess I thought this discussion was about referring to racism outside of the obvious job/housing-opportunity-denial kinds of things. I was wrong, and I leave shamed but enlightened.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Oh yeah, I forgot to include one of the meme's that helped inspired this. It's an essay, called "Proud to be White"

Excerpt:

"You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You Call me "White boy," "Cracker," "Honkey," "Whitey," "Caveman" .. And that's OK.

But when I call you N-word, Kike, Towel head, Sand-n-word, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink ... You call me a racist."

Schrodinger on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I call people racist all the time.

And I consider black-face to be the hight of comedy.

Evander on
    edited May 2007
    yeah, sounds like whiney bullshit to me, schrodes. historically ignorant whiney bullshit, at that.

And to Detharin and the other hard-of-thinking types, its not socially acceptable to hate on white guys. Just white guys who act like assholes. Just like members of any other class who decide to act like assholes. How is this complicated for people?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    yeah, sounds like whiney bullshit to me, schrodes. historically ignorant whiney bullshit, at that.

And to Detharin and the other hard-of-thinking types, its not socially acceptable to hate on white guys. Just white guys who act like assholes. Just like members of any other class who decide to act like assholes. How is this complicated for people?

The real problem is here is that innocent white folks are sometimes the victims of retributive racism (I REFUSE to use the idiotic term "reverse racism") from non-white folks who have been discriminated against by OTHER white folks.

It just creates a whole never ending cycle of hate and bullshit. Minority members need to remember that not every white dude is "the man" who has been "keeping them down", and white dudes need to not freak out every time some inner city black guy gives them a dirty look.

Evander on
    edited May 2007
    Incensed? No, frankly I think its crap but im not going to get incensed. Because there is nothing i can do to stop racism. Well lets make laws so certain minorities get preference. Well preference is racism so that doesnt work.

Again, racism implies racial supremacy. Affirmative action does not act under the basis that minorities are superior.
    Racism can, and will eventually die.

Appeal to wishful thinking.
    Best way to kill it is to integrate people, and treat everyone equally.

Yes, and I suppose that the best way to solve for the HMO crisis is to not get sick.
    If your not white its anytime you like when your not getting your way, preferencial treatment, been called on acting like a moron, or any other time you feel like shifting the blame.

Yes. Because when we ask that white crack dealers don't have a better chance of getting hired than black people with clean records, clearly, that's the same thing as asking for preferential treatment for black people.
    Theres a reason we have the saying "playing the race card". Because you cannot disprove racism. There is not words, gestures, or anything else a person can provide to prove they arent a racist. It is an area where one is guilty, with no hope of proving innocent.

You cannot disprove most accusations. However, when there is compelling evidence to support the claim, you should likewise not be able to simply dismiss it with a simple denial. When we have people defending Michael Richards, which we did, you have to wonder how much evidence you actually need, which is the purpose of this thread.

Schrodinger on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Evander wrote: »

The real problem is here is that innocent white folks are sometimes the victims of retributive racism (I REFUSE to use the idiotic term "reverse racism") from non-white folks who have been discriminated against by OTHER white folks.

It just creates a whole never ending cycle of hate and bullshit. Minority members need to remember that not every white dude is "the man" who has been "keeping them down", and white dudes need to not freak out every time some inner city black guy gives them a dirty look.

I have been a white male for 24 years and no one has ever thrown me in jail for it yet.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007

I'd like to think that we as a civilized society have learned to take care of the unfortunate, regardless of whether or not we're personally responsible for their misfortune.

For instance, if the state decided to use my tax dollars to fund a local battered women's shelter, I doubt most people would respond by saying, "You know what? This is bullshit. I mean, I've never battered any women personally, so why should they benefit at my expense. This makes me angry. In fact, it makes me so angry, that I think I'll go beat my wife now."

Schrodinger on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The real problem is here is that innocent white folks are sometimes the victims of retributive racism

That may well be a problem, but I don't know if there's much ground to call it the real problem.

MrMister on
    edited May 2007
    jacobkosh, is it not unfair for his reaction to hypothetical me to be influenced by those previous ten interactions? Sounds like he's basing his reaction to man #11 at least partly on his experiences with men #1-10.

Yes, it was unfair. But man, so what? What if he was a white guy who'd had a really bad day and was out on a bender? Does that somehow relieve you of your responsibility to behave like a civilized adult to him and to other people?

Here's the thing: in manners, what matters is that an action caused offense, not the motivation behind the action. Because if you were genuinely innocent, then it shouldn't be any skin off your ass to express a bit of sincere remorse for hurting the other person's feelings. I mean, what the fuck? If you cracked a dead baby joke and someone nearby burst into tears because they'd just had a miscarriage, would you turn around in your chair and start hectoring them for being too sensitive and playing the "dead baby" card? Would you conclude that miscarriages are therefore not real?
    I'm beginning to think a lot of people would.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited May 2007
    The real problem is here is that innocent white folks are sometimes the victims of retributive racism
    Man, black cops shove nightsticks up my ass all the time, I swear to god I could crap pineapples now

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    If you cracked a dead baby joke and someone nearby burst into tears because they'd just had a miscarriage, would you turn around in your chair and start hectoring them for being too sensitive and playing the "dead baby" card? Would you conclude that miscarriages are therefore not real?
    Check out what happens whenever a woman complains about sexism.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007
    I know what happens, it means I'm eating out again

@Cat: I keed

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited May 2007

And of course, we know how well that works out in reality:

20030910-wessel.gif

The problem is that every time you meet someone new, your mind will consider the persons good points, and it will consider the persons bad points. The problem is that the persons "good" points seem to stick better in some situations, and the "bad" points seem to stick better in others.
    And that right there is a problem with the individual. Education is the short term solution, the long term is the integration of the all races, which is what we are working toward. Your throwing one study up, claiming its indicitive of all circumstances, everywhere, and what is your solution to them?
    Even if you're 50 years old and you've gotten by fine without it?

Yes, welcome to America, learn the language or GTFO.
    Appeal to wishful thinking. I'd like to believe that good things only happen to good people and that bad things only happen to bad people, but that's just not how the world works.

So whats your solution? Discriminate against people to even things out? Its not an appeal its a statement of how things should be handled.
    Uh... what?! Is this an anecdotal case that happened to a friend of yours or something? Because I'm curious to if this actually happened, and if it did, how you managed to hear about it if it went unreported. I mean, because the media is so reluctant to report crimes by black people and all. :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channon_Christian_and_Christopher_Newsom_murder

Didnt even know them, but hey when someone is to quote
    "The Knox County medical examiner found evidence that Christian had been "bound, physically assulted, and raped."[9]According to the Grand Jury Presentment, Christian was raped vaginally, orally, and anally, and Newsom was raped anally."

Its anecdotal, RIGHT?

Once again, appeal to wishful thinking. The problem is that people just seem more inclined to believe that the black guy is a moron with the same information.

And whats your solution? Discriminate against someone else to even things up? Demand the law decide how many and who can have jobs based on skin color more than skill?

Detharin on
    edited May 2007

Yes, it was unfair. But man, so what? What if he was a white guy who'd had a really bad day and was out on a bender? Does that somehow relieve you of your responsibility to behave like a civilized adult to him and to other people?

Of course not. However, I thought one of the ways for a person to be not-racist is to judge someone from Group X free of past experiences with others from Group X.

Or, to put it another way, at what point does someone get to stop apologizing for the actions of others who look somewhat like him? And I mean this for any group, not just white people.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you cracked a dead baby joke and someone nearby burst into tears because they'd just had a miscarriage, would you turn around in your chair and start hectoring them for being too sensitive and playing the "dead baby" card? Would you conclude that miscarriages are therefore not real?
    Bitch should get back in the kitchen - duh! Who's with me!

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2007
    [Or, to put it another way, at what point does someone get to stop apologizing for the actions of others who look somewhat like him? And I mean this for any group, not just white people.

If "someone" is actually running into this problem all the time rather than just making it up on the internet then perhaps "someone" is being more of a dick than he thinks

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channon_Christian_and_Christopher_Newsom_murder

Didnt even know them, but hey when someone is to quote
    "The Knox County medical examiner found evidence that Christian had been "bound, physically assulted, and raped."[9]According to the Grand Jury Presentment, Christian was raped vaginally, orally, and anally, and Newsom was raped anally."

Its anecdotal, RIGHT?
    Clearly

electricitylikesme on