As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AirPlay - I need to know stuff!

VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
This is the article that 'caused' this question.

OK, this makes no sense to me, 'cuz I don't know squat about Apple or their products. So help me out please?

If I have A) an Apple Airport Express router, B) an iPod Touch, and C) a stack of hi-fi/home theater equipment can I transmit/stream songs from my iPod to the router, thereby giving me a close-to-Sonos experience?

I know I can do it that with iTunes, but it annoys me that I have to start my PC just to blast some tunes.

PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
VacuumJockey on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is the article that 'caused' this question.

OK, this makes no sense to me, 'cuz I don't know squat about Apple or their products. So help me out please?

If I have A) an Apple Airport Express router, B) an iPod Touch, and C) a stack of hi-fi/home theater equipment can I transmit/stream songs from my iPod to the router, thereby giving me a close-to-Sonos experience?

I know I can do it that with iTunes, but it annoys me that I have to start my PC just to blast some tunes.

Yes.

edit: the new AppleTV might be a better idea though.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apple TV does look cool, but here in the DK it is somewhat limited. But if I can get an Airport/iPod/regular ol' stereo thing going, well, that would certainly please my mom. :)

Anyway, thanks, Ben -- I think I'll get cracking on this sometime during the weekend...

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am getting Apple TV when I get back to the states and then...awesomeness.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AirPlay is magic. Moving a video back and forth between my iPad and Apple TV is great. And I love being able to control music playback and volume with the iPhone's music controls and hardware buttons.

I'm thinking of picking up an Airport Express for music playback. I can play it through the Apple TV but that means the TV has to be on and set to the right input, and I'd prefer to be able to just play music without that extra step. Right now I have a cable running from my Mac to my stereo and I use the remote app to control iTunes playback, but this means having a wire running across my room. The Airport Express would solve both problems pretty well.

elevature on