As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheap no contract phone

SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
I'm thinking about retiring my ancient 1st gen iPhone and going with something that has no data plan for a while. I don't want to sign a contract, because I'd want to keep that available, in case I decide later to get another smartphone, but it turns out that it's not easy to find cheap, unlocked phones.

I did stumble across [url=http://www.buy.com/prod/motorola-motofone-f3-cellular-phone-bar-2-1-gsm-800-gsm-1900-480-minute/q/sellerid/23093153/loc/111/210194448.html
]this[/url], however, and I may just go ahead and buy it, because I don't need to do a lot of research for a cheap, low feature phone.

Since I'm using the iPhone now, with no removable SIM card, I'm going to have to ask AT&T to activate this new phone, won't I, and presumably pay a fee? For unlocked phones, do I have to worry about any carrier compatibility other than the communications tech, like whether it's GSM or not?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
Septus on

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The 1st gen iPhone does have a removable SIM card. There's a little door on the top where you can eject it, just need to find a paperclip or something to push it in.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DOOMocratDOOMocrat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you'd like a smartphone for cheap, Virgin Mobile is doing Android with unlimited data and messaging with 500 minutes of talk for like $45.

DOOMocrat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I pay about $10 a month on AT&T for voice on a family plan, so my carrier is not going to change.

So presumably I should be able to swap sim cards and start using a new phone without AT&T knowing or wanting to charge me anything? Although, I wonder if AT&T would let me use an iphone for voice but not data, which might then prompt them to charge me a fee for a new phone.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If I do go with a new, cheap phone, is the only way for me to continue to use the iPhone as an mp3 player, to unlock it, if I just pull out the SIM?

Septus on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I do this regularly for work (when on work travel, I am in areas that can't have a camera phone or data device). You can swap your SIM card between phones with no repercussions from ATT.

When I do this with my iPhone, I can still use any feature that uses WiFi, if I have a WiFi connection to the phone. So, yes, you can still play music. You're basically just disabling the phone (and 3G data) part of the device.

As long as you have a plan, ATT won't care if you stop using part of it. You're still paying them to have that feature available to you. I have no idea if ATT will let you shut off data for the phone but keep your plan; but I'm guessing they will. If, alternatively, you are able to monitor you data usage very well, you won't have to change anything.

Mugsley on