As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who would like to discuss Netbooks

Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
So, I'm looking at Netbooks, and they're pretty confusing right now. I have a nice Desktop, so I wanted to grab a highly-portable machine - initially, gaming was out of the question, but then I discovered Nvidia ION.

Enter the Asus 1201N -

This thing is capable of running Starcraft II, COD4 and so forth. It's currently residing at around £410.

I was pretty much set on this thing; the price mark meant that even a 15" Laptop wouldn't do much more for the same money, and obviously be bigger and heavier. Concerns are that is is packaged with 32-bit W7, yet has the room for 4GB of RAM; an OS upgrade could be rather expensive.

At this point, the Asus 1215N was announced - it's available for pre-order in the UK with Amazon listing it as a Nov 13th release.

It packs ION2, and a newer dual core processor in the shape of an Intel N525, and is available for virtually the same price. Seemed like an obvious choice; at the end of the year I'd pick up a 1215N.

The problem is that reports are suggesting that certain hardware architecture means that ION2 is potentially worse than ION, in some areas.

So factor in this general confusion, along with competitors like the Dell 3101z (Dual core Athlon, ATi 4225 - a rival to ION), and I have no idea what I want, now. Gaming was never on my mind when thinking about a Netbook, but £400 is a good price for a portable machine capable of some lighter titles, as well as high-quality video playback and HDMI output.

I though perhaps this thread could serve as a starting point for anyone else considering such a purchase; however I can't really provide any insight or queries regarding more standard Netbook hardware. I saw ION and went straight in.

I'm having trouble finding out how close the ATi 4225 comes to ION/ION2, and what machines are on the horizon. There seems to be a huge variety of Netbooks with subtle differences, and I didn't want to pick a dud.

Silent Tristero on

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "Back in my day" Netbooks were 7" mini laptops.
    then came the 9" models.
    then there was 10"ers.
    Now 12" is considered a netbook?

This genre is confusing the hell out of me now. Wouldn't that just be an ultra portable Laptop? The PC equivalent of the Macbook Air, though this time with a more reasonable price?

On topic, I'm waiting to see what the Dell Inspiron Mini Duo will have in it, and more importantly what it will cost, before I look at purchasing a new netbook. Something about a convertible Netbook / Tablet really speaks to my need for weird tech. I was looking really hard at a Samsung N150 a while back to replace my aging ASUS 701/4G. I know that it's out of date now, but all I really needed was something to toss into my work bag so I could play Torchlight / Diablo 2 on break.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were mini laptops before, but I think the distinction is that a netbook is a cheap mini laptop.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As you can see here, Tech Report puts an Asus 1015PN(running the ION 1) against a Toshiba(running the 4225). The Toshiba ran significantly better on Far Cry 2 and Modern Warfare.

The ION 2 gets 10-15fps on Farcry 2 on medium/high, taken fromhere. Not the most reliable of sources, but that's what I found.

I'd probably pick up the 4225.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Longest battery life=the best option

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a 1215n. I love it. I get over 6 hours of battery life, it's the perfect size, and it is surprisingly fast. I've played Civ5 and Crysis on low with no problems. I wouldn't recommend it for a primary gaming machine, but I've got a fast desktop, so it's perfect for me.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Replies!

Don't see battery life being a major issue; I'm used to a phone that needs charging every night, and my ex-laptop would run for maybe 2 hours without power.

That's encouraging to hear about the 1215N, I'll have to decide between that and a Dell M101z I think. Both are exactly the same price...

New AMD APU benchmarks are interesting, but I think I'd be satisfied with the level of performance offered by the current models in the £400 range. It will only need to provide 'emergency gaming'; if I get stuck visiting family or whatever.

I don't know what the classification is, but the 11-12" form factor feels just about right for some proper typing, and allows me to carry it around a lot easier.

Edit: Ironically, that Toshiba T235D-S1345 looks superb, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK...

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was going to pop in and mention the upcoming AMD Brazos chips, but I'm happy to see I've been beaten by Silent Tristero. :)

Other than that, I can say I'm still totally in love with my 11" Eee (older model, N270 based). These things are so good for surfing in bed. Also, I can say with a straight face that I actually wrote 70% of my master's thesis on it, using Word 2007 with the ribbon minimized (in bed :p).

Anecdotally, I considered getting an iPad for casual surfing in bed, but I don't really see how it'd be better. I have no idea how I'd prop it up (holding it up for hours doesn't really appeal to me), and scrolling around dragging my finger on the screen seems kinda weak when I can just lay back and move my index finger in a gentle circle over my trackpad.

So, um, yay netbooks?

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Replies!

Don't see battery life being a major issue; I'm used to a phone that needs charging every night, and my ex-laptop would run for maybe 2 hours without power.
    That's fine and all, but once you get a netbook with an insane battery life you will wonder how you could have used one without it. The extreme portability that comes with a huge battery life is what puts these things in a completely different class than "small laptops".

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am excited as shit for the chrome netbook coming hopefully by the end of december

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Replies!

That's fine and all, but once you get a netbook with an insane battery life you will wonder how you could have used one without it. The extreme portability that comes with a huge battery life is what puts these things in a completely different class than "small laptops".

This is true, but I think I'd take the better quality video playback and HDMI capabilities over the additional battery life. I just don't see myself being anywhere for over 5 hours without mains access.

That said, there is the temptation to drop down a price bracket or 2; there's a few ION models for £300, or a single-core version of the M101z. But I don't want single core, right? Although, it ranks 305th here, which is above most Atoms.

I'm just not prepared to go into tablet/alternative OS territories. I want a keyboard, and I want games and other applications for Windows. A tablet and a netbook, I wouldn't turn down...

Thoughts? I really want to see some reviews.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Replies!

This is true, but I think I'd take the better quality video playback and HDMI capabilities over the additional battery life. I just don't see myself being anywhere for over 5 hours without mains access.

That said, there is the temptation to drop down a price bracket or 2; there's a few ION models for £300, or a single-core version of the M101z. But I don't want single core, right? Although, it ranks 305th here, which is above most Atoms.

I'm just not prepared to go into tablet/alternative OS territories. I want a keyboard, and I want games and other applications for Windows. A tablet and a netbook, I wouldn't turn down...

Thoughts? I really want to see some reviews.

I'm waiting on reviews for this one as well. It bothers me that it's a Dell. I've seen a few broken on delivery, and the tech support people wouldn't accept a return... But they were full sized laptops. I'm really excited about the Dual Core N550 Atom in it. Funny stab on the listing at store.microsoft.com: "Provides support for Flash Video, unlike most other devices in its class" http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Dell-Inspiron-Duo-10-1-Inch-Convertible-Netbook/product/D8E67416

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    theclam wrote: »
    I have a 1215n. I love it. I get over 6 hours of battery life, it's the perfect size, and it is surprisingly fast. I've played Civ5 and Crysis on low with no problems. I wouldn't recommend it for a primary gaming machine, but I've got a fast desktop, so it's perfect for me.

I was wondering if you've tried Fallout: New Vegas on it and how it runs.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I own a 1201N, and I have to say it's a pretty solid purchase. That said, "running Starcraft 2" is being VERY generous. Yeah, it runs, and I'd call it playable, but I dunno if I'd call it enjoyable.

Full-screen video, on the other hand, is AMAZING. Out of the box, not so much, but there's a neat little program you can install (the name escapes me now) that lets you use the GFX card to help decode video. (It's CUDA-compliant!) For a while, my netbook was the single best video-playing option in the house, because it could play full 1080p video with nary a skip or stutter, and none of the high-end machines in the house could yet defeat the test clip my room-mate kept to try out any new setups.

Battery life is for quite a few hours, even when watching video and such. I dunno if you'd want it for 8-hour stints, but I can go hang out in a coffee shop for a while without worrying about scaling it down to conserve power, and let's be honest, we're generally plugs most of the dang time. I am, at least.

I haven't tried upgrading it yet, though. I'm still on the stock 2GB RAM, which I really ought to upgrade sooner than later. I occasionally use it as my backup development box when I'm on the road, and I run my IDE, several browsers, a full LAMP stack, and all kinds of other assorted toys on there while doing so. It still runs, and again, it's useable, but I wouldn't call it speedy.

For a netbook: 5/5 stars. There's an INCREDIBLE amount of power in this tiny little clamshell.
    For a laptop: 3/5 stars, maybe less. If "playing games" > "mobility" for you, you're looking at the wrong device.

Oh, also. It looks really nice and it can handle a fair amount of abuse. One of my cats just dumped mine to the floor from the very tippy-top of my desk earlier today, and it booted up just fine, no complaints.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, my decision-making process to date -

Asus 1215N

Pro -

ION2*
    Decent battery life for the capability
    Asus are a good brand

Con -
    32-bit OS
    Atom CPU
    ION2*

Dell Inspiron M101z

Pro -

CPU
    64-bit OS

Con -
    ATI4225 not as powerful as ION*
    Dells' reputation

Anonymous, basic-but-quality Netbook -

Pro -

Money saved
    Battery life of 7-8hrs

Con -
    No gaming at all**
    Difficulty with HD video?
    How much money saved?

*On the fence about ION/ION2 right now. There's a couple of things I'm hearing with the 1215N. Firstly, that the 4x PCI-E bandwith acts as a significant bottleneck on the GPU capability. Secondly, Drivers are still buggy and may not ever be properly resolved.

**Just what can you get done on the Intel GMA's? I'm assuming stuff like Fallout 1+2, Age of Wonders 1+2, Diablo II are still a possibility?

That is unless I settle for a cheaper ION model. I hate deciding.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really like Sony's line of Netbooks.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Small is important. Really important. I think 12 inches would be way too big, mine is 10 and I kind of wish it was 9.

Lemming on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Any views on how the 1215N would be for doing portable XNA development. At the moment I'm doing Flex and Python development in Eclipse on my EEE901 so I'm ok with a cramped screen.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are you considering how awful controls would be for gaming on a netbook? Small keyboard + touchpad. Unless you want to bring a controller/mouse with you sacrificing portability. I wouldn't expect to play any recent games on an ION anyway, certainly not anything from this console generation.

Zell on
  • Options
    CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lemming wrote: »
    Small is important. Really important. I think 12 inches would be way too big, mine is 10 and I kind of wish it was 9.

:winky:

Critter on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zell wrote: »
    Are you considering how awful controls would be for gaming on a netbook? Small keyboard + touchpad. Unless you want to bring a controller/mouse with you sacrificing portability. I wouldn't expect to play any recent games on an ION anyway, certainly not anything from this console generation.

It's really a matter of some gaming over no gaming. If, for example, I visit my parents in another city over Christmas, that's 1-2 weeks without my Desktop. If I fancied some UO or some other RPS/RPG's with my friends online, I'd be covered.

I'm definitely not under the impression that I'm buying a portable Xbox 360 or something, here. Also, If I were to make such a trip, personally I wouldn't have a problem including a small mouse in my packing.

I really think that the 1215N is the device for me - it's small enough to be highly portable, whilst remaining adequate for visual entertainment. The battery will last for a long coffee shop break/train journey and as far as I'm aware, Asus are a quality brand.

My one issue with it now is 32-bit Windows, which still causes me to lean ever so slightly back to the Dell M101z...

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So!

This morning, AnandTech dropped the following review: ASUS EeePC 1215N: Bringing NG-ION to the 1201

The verdict on gaming is still playable but not enjoyable, like the 1201 I own, though battery life is significantly improved. And frankly, it looks GORGEOUS.

If you have to get a NETBOOK, it still looks like a solid choice that leaves you options. I downloaded an overclocking program for my 1201 that adds a little spunk to it for free that I'm sure will work on the 1215, and I'm sure you can drop in another couple gigs of memory to spruce things up too.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not one 'Holiday Buying Guide' has actually mentioned a model that's available in the UK, yet, with the exception of the 1215N (Which is also fairly limited in availability to a few known retailers).

Would it have been too much for sites like Engadget and Anandtech to include a UK alternative? I'm not importing any hardware.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Moving away from the 1215N... my mother just told me my father wants a netbook. I have no idea why since he's more of a "let's go home after work and hook up my laptop to my docking station with three fucking huge monitors" type of guy, but he wants one. She said she wanted to spend around $300, though she may be willing to go a smidge higher. What's the best bang for the buck at this point?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hey, so DOCKING STATIONS.

I looked into this, but supporting multiple monitors is a big issue for me, and you're already in this thread.

What's a great docking station that supports multiple monitors, and what ports do I need on my laptop to support this?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Good lord, I'd murder someone for a deal like this in the UK. Murder someone.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    OgdillaOgdilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is there a model with better build quality than the Asus 1018p or is that pretty much tops?

Ogdilla on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ogdilla wrote: »
    Is there a model with better build quality than the Asus 1018p or is that pretty much tops?

It is, by most reports, the nicest looking Netbook around (Although the Samsung NF310 might dispute that), it's nothing special internally - W7 Starter, 1GB RAM, standard Atom and a GPU that can't handle HD playback.

Based on my reading, I'd go for the Acer Aspire One 521/721. A very tidy package at a good price point with HD video capability, if you're in the states.

Another model I'd love to see available over here.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Thanks a ton for the heads-up on this deal! I had all but given up on the M11x at it's retail cost and had been looking at the Dell Inspiron M101z as a cheaper alternative (and even then not until we get our tax return). Now it looks like I'll be getting this bad boy (an upgrade from my five year old iBook G4 I'm typing this up on right now) for Christmas/birthday.

Just wanted to let you know that you are awesome and my new favorite internet person.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just what can you get done on the Intel GMA's? I'm assuming stuff like Fallout 1+2, Age of Wonders 1+2, Diablo II are still a possibility?

I have the older ASUS 904HA (Atom N270 @ 1.6ghz, 1GB RAM, Intel 945 GME). Diablo 2 runs fine on it provided I use a mouse. I also play Peggle, Osmos, Braid, and Altitude on it.

I'm at the point now that I'm looking at sinking some upgrade money into it. I'll have had it for 2 years come Feb. The battery is at the point that it used to run for a solid 6 hours. Now its more like 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I'm also looking at moving to a small'ish SSD. I figure the SSD is a safe bet because I can always put it into my desktop in case something happens to my Eee. If I go the SSD route then Win7 is almost a necessity so that needs to be factored into the cost, and now I'm just rambling on, lol.

tl~dr: I'm very happy with my 904HA and it plays simple and/or older games just fine.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can also technically run World of Warcraft on the little Eee buggers. I say technically because the FPS is reported to fluctuate between 10 and 15 in easy areas (i.e. not Dalaran), but it might be enough for dailies and stuff.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Oh fuck me I don't even need or want a laptop/netbook and that's mighty tempting.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    At least some of you are benefiting from the deal! I'm even vaguely tempted to request a friend from the states picks me one up over Christmas and brings it back here. Shame it expires in a couple of days.

Reviews should start showing up for Dell's Inspiron Duo in the next few days...Engadget actually put one up last week, but annoyingly it was with a pre-release model so I'm not inclined to take it too heavily.

General consensus from 'early impressions' is predictable, though; generally on par with high-end netbooks, lacks any connections apart from the USB and headphone jack (Without the sold-seperately dock), and runs W7 about as well as you could hope a tablet to.

Certainly an appealing alternative, sacrificing the GPU power of the 1215n for the admittedly cool tablet flippin'.

Edit: I've come across a Dell Studio XPS 1340 on their outlet:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13GHz,1066MHz,3MB)
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    320GB HD 5400
    4096MB (2x2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    DVD+/-RW (DVD & CD read and write) Slot Load Drive
    Display 13.3in WXGA (1280x800) CCFL Display with TrueLife
    512mb Nvidia GeForce 210M

About £450; seems like a relatively tasty package, can't really find any reviews or further info on it - with those specs, anyway.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm in the market for an inexpensive netbook myself. Looking for 10" , will be used mostly for basic stuff (web, office apps, etc.) I'd also like to be able to playback HD video.

If it could run wow tolerably that would be a bonus. I'd like to get in as close to $200 as possible.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm in the market for an inexpensive netbook myself. Looking for 10" , will be used mostly for basic stuff (web, office apps, etc.)

If it could run wow tolerably that would be a bonus. I'd like to get in as close to $200 as possible.

From what I understand, there is nothing in that category that will run WoW at all - you're looking at needing at least either ION or AMD's 4225 GPU options. If you went in that direction, I'd point you towards the Acer Aspire One 521, which is around $350. $200 seems a pretty low budget for anything other than a very simple 1-core ATOM, 1Gb RAM W7 Starter machine, which will only be sufficient for the office/web stuff at best.

In other news, I pulled the trigger on an Asus 1215N; in the end it was the fact that the CPU is powerful enough, whilst the GPU is ahead of anything else in the category, for the price - the battery life of 5-6 hours is also more than adequate. It will make an excellent companion to my Desktop.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    so after doing some reading it appears that HD video playback is actually an issue on some netbooks (wtf)...

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    what do you guys think of this netbook? The video card is listed as wow supported and I could upgrade it to 2gb Ram pretty simply.

I wonder if you could play like oblivion/fallout 3/borderlands on something like this?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have a Toshiba NB305 that I mostly gotten for it's battery life and size.

Batter life is great, but the 11 hours thing is an huge exaggeration. Maybe if I run it on its lowest power setting, on the dimmest possible screen, I can probably hit 11 hours. More realistically I'm getting around 4-6 hours of run time, depending on what I'm doing.

As for HD playback, it depends. Youtube fucking blows on this thing, and I believe this is due to Flash being a load of poo poo. Netflix and Hulu runs okay. Startup and shutdown takes bloody forever sometimes, though.

I don't play games on it (outside of facebook trash), so I have no opinions on its gaming capabilities.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So after a terrible accident today, I'm in the market for a new netbook. I had the original Eee 701 for a year and then upgraded to the 901 which I've had since March of '09. Earlier today it took a nice bath in a can of Sprite and, well, it's not entirely functional any more.

I've got my eye on the 1215N, but the only real concern I've got is the complaints about the keyboard. I've got a beefy desktop and use my netbooks basically as note-taking and writing machines, and so the keyboard is rather important. I do like to dabble in some portable gaming now and then, which is why the 1215N sounds so appealing, but if the keyboard sucks to type on for any extended length of time, then it gets crossed off the list.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Is it just me or are the guys in this thread being kind of twatty? It just seems like they have it set in stone in their mind that a netbook "can't run teh gaems!!1" without even looking at the specs of what I posted. They keep mentioning an ION but the netbook I'm talking about doesn't even use that chip.

I'm not expecting a power house but I have gotten wow to run (recently) on a very shitty laptop with worse graphics than the netbook I am considering. I know gaming performance isn't great on a machine that's not meant to game on but they can still do it if you set your expectations back.

Unless both of these write-ups are just lying, I can expect to do at least some light gaming on this thing and may even get WoW to run on it as well.

troublebrewing on