As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Demon's Souls: The End (kinda)

• TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bad news time!

You know how sometimes a hard drive will throw a formatting error for whatever reason?

Yeah, well I got back from vacation to find the hard drive with all my videos having this error, leaving me with a much smaller drive that won't be able to handle the next set. Mr. Computer needs to go to the disk recovery people now.

Trynant on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bad news and good news.

Good news, my hard drive is working again so I can record more Demon's Souls.

The bad news is my hard drive had to be reformatted to do so and I lost all my raw footage. This means I cannot go back and redo the sound for my old videos. Oh well.

Expect an update later this week or early next week.

Trynant on
    edited November 2010
    I suck at this whole update-on-time thing.

Aside from that, a new batch of videos up for your viewing pleasure!

Set 9: Demons Don't Fear the Reaper

Trynant on
    edited November 2010
    Much better update timing! New set!

Set 10: Precious Demon Soul

Trynant on
  • Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is a really easy fight ... Holy fucking crap! That really hurt!

I LOL'd

Adam Bomb on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So what's the deal with Astraea and Garl Vinland? That sounds like an interesting story behind all that.

Aistan on
    edited November 2010
    Aistan wrote: »
    So what's the deal with Astraea and Garl Vinland? That sounds like an interesting story behind all that.

I think it's that Astraea and Vinland went into the colorless fog and into the valley of defilement and were so dismayed by how crappy the place was that they fell into darkness? Astraea wanted to save the wretched souls and ended up as a demon because of it?

I really didn't clarify to well in that last set and I'm really regretting that :(

Trynant on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trynant wrote: »

I think it's that Astraea and Vinland went into the colorless fog and into the valley of defilement and were so dismayed by how crappy the place was that they fell into darkness? Astraea wanted to save the wretched souls and ended up as a demon because of it?

I really didn't clarify to well in that last set and I'm really regretting that :(

I asked this over on SA, and this is what was said:

"I think someone posted about this earlier, but the basic gist of it is that world 5 used to be where all the poor and generally unwanted people were sent, thus the makeshift houses and such. What's more, people also abandoned unwanted babies there and left them to die (thus making your blood pool baby monsters that love killing you). Ms. Astraea wanted to help the people of the area so she buddied up with bird armor man and headed over. She was so horrified at the terrible conditions there that she cursed whatever god/creator/thing would let this happen and became a demon because of it to get more power to help the people there, and they all praised her for it. That's why you can see depraved ones all around that area bowing to her and ignoring you (mostly)."

so fucking nasty

In gameplay news... is Firestorm worth picking up even if I'm not much of a caster? My guy is mostly dexterity based--a Sharp Kilij being my goto weapon. Also related to a dex build, what's a good sink for my Colorless souls?

Ledneh on
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the clarification :D
    Ledneh wrote: »
    In gameplay news... is Firestorm worth picking up even if I'm not much of a caster? My guy is mostly dexterity based--a Sharp Kilij being my goto weapon. Also related to a dex build, what's a good sink for my Colorless souls?

Firestorm is awesome because it will wreck bosses, including Maneater. As for dex builds, while I'm not familiar with the build myself I did a little looking and it seems Hitless is a good weapon to put colorless souls into, although a +5 Sharp Uchigatana is your weapon of choice.

EDIT: I wanted to put up the next set today but it took all day just to convert the damn videos, I can have them up tomorrow though.

Trynant on
    edited November 2010
    Holy crap, I actually updated when I said I would!

Here's the set for 3-2. Maneater dies, blue phantoms arise, fun times all around.

Tell me what you think of the shorter intro; I've gotten complaints that the last set's one was too long, so I decided for brevity in this case.

Set 11: Heart and Soul

Trynant on
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I recently started playing and was wondering about when to use two handed mode versus one handed.
    Does it depend on the enemy or more so on what you feel comfortable with?

If it matters, I'm playing a priest and temple knight, until I pick one of them.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    edited November 2010
    I recently started playing and was wondering about when to use two handed mode versus one handed.
    Does it depend on the enemy or more so on what you feel comfortable with?

If it matters, I'm playing a priest and temple knight, until I pick one of them.

While some enemies you'll want to be blocking and some enemies you'll just want to smash, it's really more of a preference thing from what I've played. It's nice to have the defense and all with shield, but really most of what you can do with a shield can be done with dodging, and most PvP'ers love to go two-handed (or dual-wielding).

EDIT: Also the next set will be up in like half an hour yay.

Trynant on
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Awesome, that's what I was hoping for heh.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    edited November 2010
    And here we go! No, the title of the set is not trying to be emo; it's a reference to a totally not-emo song.

Set 12: Gloom and Misery Everywhere

Trynant on
    edited November 2010
    Set 13 is here! I apologize about the outcome of the boss fight, and can only hope I can make it up to you with the bonus vid.

Set 13: Just Plain Mean

Trynant on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty decent fight in that last vid.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gracias for these - love watchin em

Freakle on
    edited November 2010
    The next set is up and ready! I put in a "long" intro vid in Part 1 (much shorter than set nine's but still ~30 seconds). Let me know if you prefer this or something shorter.

And yeah, 1-2 at soul level 60 with four archdemons dead, total cakewalk.

EDIT: Since the ending is near and there's no more levels to vote on, maybe it's time to vote on a good or bad ending!

Remember, this LP may very well go into New Game +, and the different endings give different rewards.

Set 14: Easy, Easy, Easy

Trynant on
    edited November 2010
    By the way, Thanksgiving is going to hinder my video-making, so expect some delays with the videos.

No month and a half delay tho.

Trynant on
    edited November 2010
    Hahaha, love how you finished the Tower Knight.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Hahaha, love how you finished the Tower Knight.

I was going to head-cleave him, but that part of him was in a corner soooooo....

Just an update for you all. I finished 1-3; I'm pleased with the run since I got to show off the level and some online stuff. I don't know how fast I can get it posted, however, due to Thanksgiving craziness. The set may very well have to wait until next week.

As a reminder, I'm going to be taking votes on what ending you want me to do: the good or evil one. I'll be taking votes until the set 16 up (1-4).

Also, anybody got a good name for a set based around 1-3? I'm kinda stumped....

Trynant on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Your horrible horrible lp made me finally pull the trigger on buying this game

Thanks, JERK

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Your horrible horrible lp made me finally pull the trigger on buying this game

Thanks, JERK

highfivez.jpg

Enjoy the first level!

Trynant on
    edited November 2010
    Wait a sec... isn't that the same pic that I posted when I [strike]tricked you into watching[/strike] "found out that you had decided to, completely of your own free will, watch" my lp?

THIEF!

J'accuse!

Rent on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    come on Trynant, slaying scores and scores of demons is fine but a meat cleaver to the balls? that just ain't cool man

atat23 on
    edited November 2010
    atat23 wrote: »
    come on Trynant, slaying scores and scores of demons is fine but a meat cleaver to the balls? that just ain't cool man

That's what the Tower Knight gets for trying to protect his head.

And Rent I don't know what you're talking about. This is a totally original thing that I have done that no one else has done before.

Ever.

Trynant on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent you did a good thing.

fadingathedges on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    WHAT?! You can bypass the Tower Knight?!
    The reason I stopped playing was because I couldn't beat him!
    I died hundreds of times and just altogether shelved the game.

Time to give it a go again

Snowblindvictim on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    WHAT?! You can bypass the Tower Knight?!
    The reason I stopped playing was because I couldn't beat him!
    I died hundreds of times and just altogether shelved the game.

Time to give it a go again

If you are inferring that you can skip the tower knight boss ~ you cannot. You can, however, dash past him and deal with the crossbowmen to make the fight manageable.

fadingathedges on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, what I meant was instead of going on to fight the Tower Knight.
    Playing 2-1 or 3-1 and coming back to him later

Snowblindvictim on
    edited November 2010
    Set 15 is here! One more to go!

Set 15: Minister, Invader, Penetrator
    As the title of the thread now says, the end of the game is coming up, so I want votes.

Good ending or bad ending?

If you've played the game, you know what I mean. If you haven't, it means I get one of two endings and a different soul (and possibly an item) depending on how I end the game.

Trynant on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bad ending.
    I want to feel the tension through 1-1 of new game+

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks to this LP, I got Demon's Souls a few weeks ago, and just beat it yesterday. Such a fun game. Except Flamelurker. Fuck Flamelurker(that was where I learned just how debilitating it is to wear heavy armor).

I gotta say, I really am surprised at how little PvP you've encountered. On the rare occasions when I wasn't in Soul form, I could literally not go a minute into a level without being invaded. Which generally meant I was going to be re-equipping the Cling Ring in a few more minutes, given my terrible gear and below-par PvP skills.

Mars on
    edited November 2010
    Blame the lack of invasions (I wish there were more to be honest) on my horrible firewall that seems to hate being messed with and hates Demon's Souls even more. I'm so glad I got an invasion in 1-3. That made my day.

Trynant on
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys do you want me to do Pure Black World Tendency stuff before or after 1-4?

Trynant on
  • Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't have a vote on when you do PBWT. I just wanted to say thanks for doing this LP. Before I watched you play, I had only progressed through 1-1 at a snail's pace, worried that any shadow would jump out and kill me. Watching your first video showed me just how Wrong I was Doing It.

I have a question that's been nagging at me for a while. Did you ever pick up the Dragon Long Sword +1 in 2-2? I know that the Dragon upgrade is said not to scale well past NG (I wouldn't know) but it has been extremely dominant in NG.

Adam Bomb on
    edited December 2010
    Adam Bomb wrote: »
    I don't have a vote on when you do PBWT. I just wanted to say thanks for doing this LP. Before I watched you play, I had only progressed through 1-1 at a snail's pace, worried that any shadow would jump out and kill me. Watching your first video showed me just how Wrong I was Doing It.

I have a question that's been nagging at me for a while. Did you ever pick up the Dragon Long Sword +1 in 2-2? I know that the Dragon upgrade is said not to scale well past NG (I wouldn't know) but it has been extremely dominant in NG.

Strangely enough I don't think I ever picked up that long sword. It seems I always forget a few things in my sets :(

Dragon weapons are great on the first playthrough especially at early levels, but later on weapon upgrades that scale with stats are much more important. Basically higher level = better stats = weapons with stat bonuses (something Dragon weapons do not have) become better.

Well I think I might go do Pure Black World Tendency stuff first just so I can spend any extra souls I get on levels.

The next batch of videos will take a little bit. I have some school stuff I really need to get done today, but after that I probably can get to recording.

Trynant on
    edited December 2010
    Ugh, with the combination of a certain MMORPG expansion and school finals; it may be a bit longer before I can upload the next set.

I will try to get the videos up sometime this weekend, but I cannot make any guarantees.

Trynant on
    edited December 2010

I remember in the SA LP for this game there was the theory that Astraea and Vinland were...intimate, she got pregnant, and then had an abortion (which cursed her to become a demon and why she was trying to save all the damned souls, as penance or something). This explains all the creepy baby imagery in the level and generally just make sense so is the explanation I use

Rent on
    edited December 2010
    I hadn't heard anything like that. From what I've seen in the lore that area is where abortions and stillbirths are dumped, hence the baby imagery. Astraea became a demon because it gave her the strength to help those who needed it, and because she rejected her god for allowing such circumstances to happen.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png