As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Which wych is which?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    The idea of a "safari list" just sounds so fun.

A bunch of warriors/trueborns in raiders with splinter racks, shooting shit up with rerolled hits.

Echo on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    The idea of a "safari list" just sounds so fun.

A bunch of warriors/trueborns in raiders with splinter racks, shooting shit up with rerolled hits.
    The way I saw it going was mostly Wyches (to flush the 'game') for Troops with Scourges and Trueborn (the actual paymasters) along for firepower, all led by a Succubus in a khaki skirt.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I still really want a Tervigon/Tyrannofex kit. Because using a shoe and other objects while I try to figure out if I want to build one and what it looks like are a problem

The chapterhouse conversion kit is basically what it should look like, they just posed it really badly. If you get that kit, file down the leg joins, and pose it hunched forward, and cut down the scything talons so they are embedded in the ground (something that big, walking on what are basically knives, is going to sink a lot), then you pretty much have the Tervigon from the artwork in the codex.

Also, chapterhouse are working on a resin Tyrannofex. Not a conversion kit, a straight resin Tyrannofex, made to look like the artwork in the codex as well. The downside to this is it won't be tournament friendly, since it's not an official GW model.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    Is this meant to be a fluffy list because if this is meant to be a competitive it is not. If you are going for a theme then yea its pretty good.

If not...

How do you deal with armor? You have zero mobility and weak expensive troop choices. Against any mech list (pretty much standard in 5th ed) you are going to have serious issues.

drop the harliquins, the models are cool but they are overcosted junk. Get some troops in wave serpents so you can move for late game scoring. I would drop the wraithlords too for fire prisms.

I never go in tournements, atleast not to win, I might go for fun once a year or two, but it's hard enough finding casual games that are against fun opponents, let alone some powergaming neckbeard that's playing the flavour of the month because "it's the best".

I wanted something that is rarely seen in play, and this would be right up there with witch/daemon hunters and sisters. Either because they're awful or just too expensive. I like getting a kick out of my games more than min/maxing every possible attribute of the army.

While cool, fire prisms aren't what I was wanting to do with the army...how about war walkers, would those in groups do the job of a prism or wraithlord, if I gave them say lances and paired them into groups of two?

The Harlequins can be dropped in favour of something else. I was thinking warp spiders, but would fire dragons in my wave serpent be more useful? I'm kinda emot-downs.gif when it comes to eldar, I've only played against them a handful of times at best, let alone never touched them myself in a game.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Matrias wrote: »

NAX

REP YOUR FUCKING BATS
    !

Bjorn is coming...

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    that hand looks fellishly handy

Matrias on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty cool, but I'm still not a huge fan of the weird cgi art style BL uses

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How effective are Ork Kan lists? I just came up with a list I like, but that few models in an Ork army is weird.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What's the list?

Dayspring on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    How effective are Ork Kan lists? I just came up with a list I like, but that few models in an Ork army is weird.

They're pretty great unless you end up facing lots of Trygons...
    My friends fares up reasonably well against Marines apparently, and looks pretty cool on the table too.

Just got 7 wins in my GW veterans tournament, which means I can field an extra 350pts of reserves. I wonder how many outflanking Genestealers I can get for 350pts? I bet it's a lot...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ...I'm quite fond of this conversion
    87032_md.jpg

But doing 2 doesn't really appeal to me. Also, the HVC arms seem to be oddly placed, but I could fix that anyway.

Personally, I like this one:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/Apoc022710/02270018.JPG.html

Grin.

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    87032_md.jpg

But doing 2 doesn't really appeal to me. Also, the HVC arms seem to be oddly placed, but I could fix that anyway.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/Apoc022710/02270018.JPG.html

Grin.

Is that the Red Terror? Solid.

Karilmat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    87032_md.jpg

Grin.

The only issue with something like that is if you come across a pedantic player, since the book says it's the size of a flying Trygon. Though since there's no official model and GW haven't said what size it should be, something like that should get away with being too small. I mean, GW haven't even given an official stance on the size of a Tyrannofex or Tervigon, except at a gamesday when they said Tervigons should be on a Trygon sized base. But still nothing official.

Dayspring: It was 9 Killa Kans with assorted guns, 2 Deff Dreads with assorted guns, 5 Deffcopters, 2 Big Meks (1 with Shokk Attack gun and 1 with KFF to obscure the Deff Dreads) and 2 units of 10 kommandos (because the Forgeworld models are awesome).

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    One of the dudes at my club* runs a list with 2 shokk attack meks**, 3 units of 3 kans, 2 dredds, 4 trukk boy units and I think a Skorcha just to fill up the points (this is 1500).
    It's a very in your face list. The kans and dreads run forward, and the trukks move forward behind them. You either deal with the kans in which case you get orks in your face next turn, or try and stop the trukks in which case you have a wall of steel hitting you. The list has some hard counters (it has loads of kill points***, and monstrous creatures knock it about quite well, but it works and is fun.

*this is the same guy who threw a shitfit about the apoc game, for those of you keeping track.
    ** His theory is that he's going to lose kans so who cares about cover saves from a KFF. Double SAGs however give him some ranged threat, provide something else potentially nasty for the enemy to worry about, and more importantly are great fun
    ***unsurprisingly he is adamant that "kill points are not fair abloo bloo" (actual quote)

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Haha pretty much the other list I've slowly been building of kanz. Got me a Mek with a KFF, and 7 cans so far. I'm just dreading the 4-6 boxes of boyz I need. Not just painting/assembly, but $$$. Ugh.

The dreads are so pretty, but I've been holding off on buying them incase I get the gumption up to build my own once more. Downside is this one amazing sci-fi model store has shut down since I moved out here, so I'm not sure where else to look for things that could fit the look, after they've been treated with a healthy dose of gubbinz.

The eldar list I decided on:
    Eldar Ghost Army

HQ
    Farseer
    Guide, Fortune, Spirit-Stones

Troops
    10 Wraithguard
    1 Spiritseer, Conceal

10 Wraithguard
    1 Spiritseer, Conceal

3 Guardian Jetbikes

Fast Attack
    1 Vyper, Bright Lance

Elites
    Harlequin Troupe
    5x Harlequins (2x with Harlequins Kiss, 1x with Fusion Blaster, Troupe Master

Heavy Support
    Wraithlord
    Brightlance, Eldar Missile Launcher

Wraithlord
    Brightlance, Eldar Missile Launcher

1496 Points Total

I won't win 'Ard Boyz or anything, but I think it'll look and be a lot of fun, and certainly will be something not many opponents will see. If the game goes to 2k points, I'll add another group of Wraithguard and a Farseer.

I posted this as a note on facebook, and hilariously one friend instead just gave me a regular eldar army list to play instead. I was like uh, you realise the idea is for a themed list that can somewhat hold its own, and not go for the win every game?

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, <3 maelstrom. I just ordered the Vyper and Farseer/Warlock Bodyguard boxes. After the voucher ITS-CHRISTMAS it all came to $46. The Farseer and Warlocks alone would be that much normally on their own. I don't know how they can sell it for so cheap, or they're not gouging us, I don't know.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »
    One of the dudes at my club* runs a list with 2 shokk attack meks**, 3 units of 3 kans, 2 dredds, 4 trukk boy units and I think a Skorcha just to fill up the points (this is 1500).
    It's a very in your face list. The kans and dreads run forward, and the trukks move forward behind them. You either deal with the kans in which case you get orks in your face next turn, or try and stop the trukks in which case you have a wall of steel hitting you. The list has some hard counters (it has loads of kill points***, and monstrous creatures knock it about quite well, but it works and is fun.

*this is the same guy who threw a shitfit about the apoc game, for those of you keeping track.
    ** His theory is that he's going to lose kans so who cares about cover saves from a KFF. Double SAGs however give him some ranged threat, provide something else potentially nasty for the enemy to worry about, and more importantly are great fun
    ***unsurprisingly he is adamant that "kill points are not fair abloo bloo" (actual quote)

I was considering 2 Shokk Attack guns as well. There's some fun Forgeworld stuff I could add to the army to keep up the Kan theme, with the Big Mek dreadnought and the Mega Dreadnought as well. I assume the Boyz squads are there mainly for objective capturing, since the army only has 2 other troops (the Deff Dreads)?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, they also add speed and weight of numbers for fighting stuff like terminators.
    Lots of Kan lists I see online do the foot horde + kan thing, but with the trukks it makes everything a much more immediate threat

Dayspring on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "Artillery Battery 727 this is The Master of Ordinance, I am requesting a fire support mission on Grid target 828.114..."

"Yes, that is correct...

"Yes I am fully aware of where I am in proximity to that, are you saying you are not able to aim an artillery piece?! Now make it fast chaps, we're in a bit of a bind.".
    5202780905_c4a4e28711_b.jpg

(note, Dante and his honor guard were completely under the pie plate which only scattered 1 " and was in between all of my vehicles and completely surrounded by my own army, the Master of Ordinance can be seen in the top of the photo, a metal mini standing on a skull.)

"Artillery Battery 727 well done that was a direct hit. Now don't ever question me again."

Edit: Nax's blood angels left none standing by the end of the battle so.. meh.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    altmann wrote: »
    "Artillery Battery 727 this is The Master of Ordinance, I am requesting a fire support mission on Grid target 828.114..."

"Yes, that is correct...

"Yes I am fully aware of where I am in proximity to that, are you saying you are not able to aim an artillery piece?! Now make it fast chaps, we're in a bit of a bind.".
    5202780905_c4a4e28711_b.jpg

(note, Dante and his honor guard were completely under the pie plate which only scattered 1 " and was in between all of my vehicles and completely surrounded by my own army, the Master of Ordinance can be seen in the top of the photo, a metal mini standing on a skull.)

"Artillery Battery 727 well done that was a direct hit. Now don't ever question me again."

Edit: Nax's blood angels left none standing by the end of the battle so.. meh.

Slow-Clap.gif

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were some standing... there was that... chimera :P

Also, since it implies otherwise, Dante escaped that artillery strike unharmed, and went on to continue wrecking face

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    SentaphSentaph Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So... the DE codex is really specific about Lady Malys being armed with the Crystal Blade and a steel fan. Now, the crystal blade I can make out of a sword and paint it up, but I honestly have no idea how to make a steel fan for a 40K character. Any advice?

Sentaph on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fold the fan.

Matrias on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sentaph wrote: »
    So... the DE codex is really specific about Lady Malys being armed with the Crystal Blade and a steel fan. Now, the crystal blade I can make out of a sword and paint it up, but I honestly have no idea how to make a steel fan for a 40K character. Any advice?

You could try this dude's fan:
    lord-assassin-morghoul.png

One of my friends has the above model, so I can attest he's about the same scale as a Dark Eldar warrior, and of a suitably lithe build.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hey it's voldo.

Matrias on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Skorne has tempted me for a long while.

Echo on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, after mulling over the last couple of games for a while I have the following thoughts on various Tyranid units and my List in general.

Harrison the Winged Hive Tyrant: I'd shelved Harrison for a while because of the Lacklustre performance I'd been getting out of him, but after giving him a new weapon set, Old Adversary and some support he's really come back into his own. With enough flying bugs in front of him he can claim a cover save from ground level fire which makes him surprisingly durable.

The whole Flying Wedge works very well. I have 3 good CC units that can slit off and nuke seperate things. Harrison has proved that he's capable of Soloing whole squads with a little Paroxysm action. Harrison gets a solid A.

The Shrikes: With a Power weapon, Posion 4+ and reducing their opponents I to 1, these guys are capable of fucking elites up good and proper. Add in Preferred Enemy and it gets rediculous. I'm still not great at using them so they didn't perform to their peak in either game, but despite the disadvantageous combats they found themselves in they still gave a good account of themselves. I'd rate them a B.

The Gargoyles: Cheap and nasty. Like the Shrikes I'm not great at using them, so they got stuck in bad combats in both games, but managed to acquit themselves nicely. They can take on pretty much anything for the low low cost of 160 points. They do have a massive footprint though, so they can be a bother to move about on the Table. Another solid B.

Genestealers: Old hands may remember that I generally fucking LOATH genestealers, the lazy turn 5 arriving fuckers that they are. However, taking 4 units has changed my mind. With 4, I can start 2 or 3 on the table and still outflank some if I want. I have found that they need to be supported against hard targets though. Even just into a squad of Tacticals, it's probably going to be a draw. I did throw a unit into some Striking Scorpions and that backfired horribly. When given preferred enemy or just back up from Shrikes or Harrison they are very reliable. In the games I played they really were my workhorse units. B+ for them.

I don;t really need to talk about the Zoanthropes or Hive guard though. They blew shit up and were generally awesome. These two units are my Gimme choices. I doubt I'd take an army without them.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Matrias wrote: »
    hey it's voldo.

I thought that the first time I saw him too!

Also, I made a Blood Angels list for the viewing pleasure of this thread:
    Librarian Ahumael [100 pts.]
    Librarian with bolt pistol, force weapon and psychic hood. Ahumael has frag & krak grenades.
    Psychic powers: Smite and The Sanguine Sword

Tactical Squad Malakhi [205 pts.]
    Space Marine Sergeant with bolt pistol and power fist; 7 Space Marines with boltguns; 1 Space Marine with plasma gun; 1 Space Marine with missile launcher. Squad Malakhi all have frag & krak grenades.

Scout Squad Talmak [80 pts.]
    Scout Sergeant with bolt pistol, chainsword and melta bombs; 4 Scouts with shotguns. Squad Talmak all have frag & krak grenades.

Assault Squad Zeraf [140 pts.]
    Space Marine Sergeant with infernus pistol and power weapon, 3 Space Marines with bolt pistols and chainswords, 1 Space Marine with hand flamer and chainsword. Squad Zeraf all have frag & krak grenades.

Transport [35 pts.]
    Rhino with storm bolter, dozer blade, extra armour and smoke launchers.

The Death Company [190 pts.]
    4 Death Company with bolt pistols and chainswords; 1 Death Company with chainsword and infernus pistol. The Death Company all have frag & krak grenades and jump packs.

TOTAL: 750 pts.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does anyone know some good books with genestealer cults? Are they in any of the inquisitor books? I'm thinking of doing a dark heresy campaign with them and was looking for some source material.

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The first Caiphas Cain book is pretty good for that. And the 5th? I think thats the other one with em.

Asher on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jimbo034 wrote: »
    Does anyone know some good books with genestealer cults? Are they in any of the inquisitor books? I'm thinking of doing a dark heresy campaign with them and was looking for some source material.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    susan wrote: »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/

I eventually want it to come to that but first I want to do some politicking and interacting with hybrids and human cult members. I like the creepiness of the power structure of an entire hive being under the control of the cult. something like Soylent Green, Brave New World and the giver; something is wrong but you can't quite put your finger on what it is.

Oh if you do another rpg campaign, Susan, let me know. I've been reading your two 40k campaigns and they're awesome.

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh if you do another rpg campaign, Susan, let me know. I've been reading your two 40k campaigns and they're awesome.

Thank you :) . I'm honestly not sure if my Dark Heresy campaign's going to last much longer; half my players seem to have dropped completely, and the others aren't exactly posting on a daily basis any more (such is life). I am kinda doing a 'rolling recruitment' for my Rogue Trader game, though, if you want to write up a character and hop in there.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FFFFffffff

Quick!

Someone talk me out of buying Valhallans on Ebay!

Asher on
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Asher wrote: »
    FFFFffffff

Quick!

You don't have to pay rent this month.

Spherick on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I had an attack of common sense. No new army for me!

This time.

Asher on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Asher wrote: »
    FFFFffffff

Quick!

How's about I say that the next Imperial Armour book, is going to feature Imperium and Space Wolves vs Eldar on an Ice planet, and that obviously suggests that Forge World are going to release imperial guard with coats.*

Meaning you should wait and save up for those models instead.

*I've made this up but it could be true!

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    To keep with the Ice theme, I think the chances of Plastic r Resin Valhallans is about the same as the proverbial snowball's chance in hell. Would be nice, but I doubt very much it will happen in the foreseeable future.

Asher on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It would be nice if they made a steel legion, tallaran, moridan and valhalla kit so you can interchange them between the cadian and catachatan ones

I really don't know how they are spell and I was too lazy to look them up

Brainleech on
This discussion has been closed.